Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer Going?

Comments

• Options
    AndyG said:
    I think LB talking to whoever the owners are will be quite revealing. If he stays after the talks surely he will have seen some proof of what they are planning. I cant see him listening to a load of bollocks without being shown proof. Alternatively if he walks then I think that will be confirmation of our fears
    Proof? I would not believe these people if they said tomorrow was Monday.
  • Options
    That’s because it’s Tuesday Elf’s. 
  • Options
    That’s because it’s Tuesday Elf’s. 
    I REALLY wish it was mate.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I think LB talking to whoever the owners are will be quite revealing. If he stays after the talks surely he will have seen some proof of what they are planning. I cant see him listening to a load of bollocks without being shown proof. Alternatively if he walks then I think that will be confirmation of our fears
    On the contrary. I trust Bowyer's integrity. If he hears terrible news from the owners that we are going under, he MIGHT just stay to the end. After all he's our ships Captain and if it goes down, like all respected Captain's, you stay aboard. He's not here for the money and certainly not the kudos. He's one of us. If we're hurting, we know he is too. He knows he's wanted by thousands of ordinary people. He's staying until he is pushed (I hope). 
  • Options
    Funny how Birmingham papers suggested he was going there just before we played them... Then he didn't... Cynical 
  • Options
    Are the talks happening today?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I am more worried that LB would be a great punt for Bournemouth to take rather than Eddie wanting to leave a well run club for our current situation.
    Not sure they sure in the position for punts, I imagine promotion is a must 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    To suggest that Bowyer might walk away from the game wildly underestimates his resolve. And to suggest he 'walks' for the sake of his health and his family is merely patronising!

As a manager, Bowyer is an extension of the man as a player: wily, tough, and always up for it.  He will have relished pitting his wits against more experienced managers and better teams this season.  I like him: he is forward-looking (literally, playing two up front) and sanguine.  He is the right man for us.

Yet doubtless he has personal and professional ambitions as a manager that take him far above the third division. It's a relief that the Birmingham and Bristol City jobs have been filled.  We breathe again.    
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That Bowyer hasn't resigned already shows he still has a strong attachment to the job, unless he was hanging on to see what happened with Sheffield Wednesday
  • Options
    Don't think Bows will get the Bournemouth job,rumoured that Bournemouth number two has ok is getting it 
  • Options
    doronron said:
    Don't think Bows will get the Bournemouth job,rumoured that Bournemouth number two has ok is getting it 
    ex Charlton player Jason Tindall
  • Options
    doronron said:
    ex Charlton player Jason Tindall
    Who was in our youth set up at the time that Bowyer was
  • Options
    Did he ever actually make a first team appearance?
  • Options
    To suggest that Bowyer might walk away from the game wildly underestimates his resolve. And to suggest he 'walks' for the sake of his health and his family is merely patronising!

As a manager, Bowyer is an extension of the man as a player: wily, tough, and always up for it.  He will have relished pitting his wits against more experienced managers and better teams this season.  I like him: he is forward-looking (literally, playing two up front) and sanguine.  He is the right man for us.

Yet doubtless he has personal and professional ambitions as a manager that take him far above the third division. It's a relief that the Birmingham and Bristol City jobs have been filled.  We breathe again.    

Why would he necessarily have big ambitions as a manager? He had walked away from the game and made no effort to get into coaching/managing. He only got involved when asked to help out here.
    He may have got the taste for being in football again, and for what he's done at Charlton. But that"s not the same as having ambitions. 
  • Options
    From his comments on Williams staying it sounds like Bows isn't going anywhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To be fair he's got 2.5 years left on his deal

Why resign when he could get sacked and get the compensation if things dont go the way the owners expect them to
    I took nothing from that interview to say that Bows, himself, was staying. Given that the clip is issued by the club and given that Lee is a very open and honest guy, they would have been falling over themselves to tell us, categorically, that Lee was staying. For me, the silence on the matter of Lee’s intentions was deafening. They know we are all concerned about Lee leaving and that we know he was meeting with the ‘owner’ in the early part of this week (noting we are now past that point) and yet nothing said? Doesn’t look too positive, does it?
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    To be fair he's got 2.5 years left on his deal

Why resign when he could get sacked and get the compensation if things dont go the way the owners expect them to
    I took nothing from that interview to say that Bows, himself, was staying. Given that the clip is issued by the club and given that Lee is a very open and honest guy, they would have been falling over themselves to tell us, categorically, that Lee was staying. For me, the silence on the matter of Lee’s intentions was deafening. They know we are all concerned about Lee leaving and that we know he was meeting with the ‘owner’ in the early part of this week (noting we are now past that point) and yet nothing said? Doesn’t look too positive, does it?
    Agree with the above, however if the talks had gone badly I would have expected an announcement to say LB has left and he certainly wouldn't be doing interviews like that is he has decided to leave.
  • Options
    doronron said:
    Unless another club has come in for him I don't think he will just walk away,players slowly starting to sign extended contracts to me that says he is staying 
    I hope you are right. Things at the club are obviously in flux at the moment which, reasonably, leaves Lee in a position where a ‘stay or go’ decision has not been made. He’s no fool and will inevitably take anything PE says with a pinch of salt. Actions not words from within the club are what we and he need right now.
  • Options
    I would like to think Williams had some assurances from Bowyer before signing a new contract 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I would like to think Williams had some assurances from Bowyer before signing a new contract 
    Williams didn’t sign a new contract, he triggered a clause in his existing deal that extends it for a year. I think it’s an important distinction. 
    Could mean he's on more than he could get offered elsewhere. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    se9addick said:
    Williams didn’t sign a new contract, he triggered a clause in his existing deal that extends it for a year. I think it’s an important distinction. 
    Could mean he's on more than he could get offered elsewhere. 
    I think the market will be pretty bleak for free agents this summer. Might be worth trying to take the little security that extending his Charlton deal offers and then, if we go bust, he will be a free agent again*. 

*Sorry if this doesn’t play to the narrative that he signed because he’s deeply in love with the club and everything is now clearly going to be fine.