Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bowyer Going?

Comments

• Bowyer has proven what he can do in League One. We should all be happy if he is in charge next season as he did it against the odds and it looks likely that fact will remain!
  • Good motivational manager, not sure about him as a footballing tactician. A bit like Neil Harris. Loves a sound bite. Probably more suited to L1 if I’m honest

...just my opinion . 
  • Good motivational manager, not sure about him as a footballing tactician. A bit like Neil Harris. Loves a sound bite. Probably more suited to L1 if I’m honest

...just my opinion . 
    Even though you enjoy this forum I really don’t think you have any, not even the slightest idea just what Bowyer has had to endure during his time in charge. Even then he got the team promoted and I suspect you’ll struggle to get more than a couple of people on this site who put our relegation down to Bowyer. 

...just my opinion . 
    Even though you enjoy this forum I really don’t think you have any, not even the slightest idea just what Bowyer has had to endure during his time in charge. Even then he got the team promoted and I suspect you’ll struggle to get more than a couple of people on this site who put our relegation down to Bowyer. 
    Although I agree mostly, I do feel that he does have tactical shortcomings but he's only been a manger what 2 years? He has time. That said I feel like his motivation and ability to make players put all on the line makes up for his current tactical shortcomings but that's a discussion for another thread. 
  • edited July 2020
    PWR

I haven’t seen anything from Bowyer as to whether he might be leaving or not?

Presumably would of had his meeting with Elliott and decided, he’d trust him as far as he could throw him but needs to mull over further?

But also wondering whether there may have been contact with Varney/Barclay to see how the land lied there before making any decision?

Perhaps clutching at straws but thought otherwise something would have come out, if there was nothing else to consider because I’m assuming if anyone has any idea of what’s going on behind the scenes he will and if it stinks, he’d have made his decision by now?
  • ŴMillwallFan said:
    Good motivational manager, not sure about him as a footballing tactician. A bit like Neil Harris. Loves a sound bite. Probably more suited to L1 if I’m honest

...just my opinion . 
    I wouldn’t put your relegation down to him either. I think without all the back room shenanigans he’d probably have kept you up this season. The following season he may have got found out. Same as Harris did. That’s the pattern those type of managers tend to take. 

I’m not making that judgement on where you finished in the table. More from the type of decisions he makes during a match and listening to pre and post match interviews etc. 

That’s not a dig at the man. I think he has done brilliant at Charlton, What with all the crap he’s had to endure, getting you promoted last year etc but I just think he’s limited to that sort of level, L1... lower championship maybe? Can’t see him managing a premier league club, or a club aspiring to be PL anytime soon. 

As I say, just my opinion, and I may get proven wrong. We’ll see
    Is this the Harris that is managing a side in the playoffs tonight?

Be honest, you wouldn’t recognise a good manager if you saw one.
  • Redrobo said:
    ŴMillwallFan said:
    Good motivational manager, not sure about him as a footballing tactician. A bit like Neil Harris. Loves a sound bite. Probably more suited to L1 if I’m honest

...just my opinion . 
    I wouldn’t put your relegation down to him either. I think without all the back room shenanigans he’d probably have kept you up this season. The following season he may have got found out. Same as Harris did. That’s the pattern those type of managers tend to take. 

I’m not making that judgement on where you finished in the table. More from the type of decisions he makes during a match and listening to pre and post match interviews etc. 

That’s not a dig at the man. I think he has done brilliant at Charlton, What with all the crap he’s had to endure, getting you promoted last year etc but I just think he’s limited to that sort of level, L1... lower championship maybe? Can’t see him managing a premier league club, or a club aspiring to be PL anytime soon. 

Harris inherited a very good Cardiff side. And Did you see their stats from the first leg? I bet you he isn’t Cardiff manager this time next season. They have high expectations there. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Blimey. You can take the man out of Millwall...
    Haha that’s why the vast majority of us were pleased to see him go. Loved him as a player, loved him as a bloke, even loved him as a L1 manager. But could recognise his limitations as a manager. He had such a touch falling in to the Cardiff job. His friendship with Warnock May have helped. 

Anyway, taken the thread off subject a bit. Sorry lol
  • I like Harris which makes me feel I should wash my mouth out.
  • Everyone is possessed by stats nowadays, the only one that matters is the score.

Do we want marks for artistic impression or just the team scoring most goals gets the points?
  • Lee Bowyer is set for talks with Charlton Athletic’s board at the start of next week

???

• CAFCsayer said:
    Redrobo said:
    ŴMillwallFan said:

...just my opinion . 

Yeah, I wouldn’t recognise a good manager if I saw one. Incidentally, here’s some of Harris’ stats since he took over at cardiff...

League Position - 5th

It doesnt matter if you play shit football if you are winning matches
    Hmmm, not so sure shit football can keep you winning matches at championship level. It can only last so long. Simplistic football gets found out in the championship. 

I saw it with my own eyes at Millwall. First season back up we had a blinder. Second season we struggled bad. Third season looked like it was going the same way until he graciously bailed out. 

Nothing but respect for the fella, but limited as a championship manager imo 
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't quite get this. Why is a Millwall fan regularly contributing to our forum? It seems just as strange that Lifers routinely engage with him. Nothing personal, of course - just weird. I wouldn't dream of trawling round the Millwall forum, trying to be friends with their fans...
  • Bowyer has had every opportunity to walk away ,he has not left,I am sure he will give Charlton every consideration before he considers his options.Other than the obvious shambles in the boardroom,we have a very inexperienced management team,JJ only just retired from playing and Bowyer very new to the job,they could have done with a wise old head,(Curbs) ,in the background to turn to .
  • Grim indeed but he’s sounding more like he’s going to stay then he did last week
  • To be honest the size of the current squad is the least of my concerns, when the future of the club itself is completely up in the air

Obviously any manager will want a decent squad earlier, so that he can plan for preseason etc, but come September, if the ownership is resolved, then I'm confident that we'd be able to assemble a competitive squad, especially as the window will be open until October
  • I’d have a chat about football with a Charlton fan over a pint in a pub, don’t see much difference tbh. 

Always try to keep it respectful as aware it’s not my board. 
    Same as you,have many friends who support Millwall,nothing wrong  with football discussions between fans of different clubs.
    palice filth aside.