Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer Going?

Comments

• Options
    I think JJ makes sense if we are still with the current ownership, as someone to try and galvanise the squad and keep the togetherness and keep us ticking over.

With Varney/Barclay (which unfortunately seems the less likely option) we should just start from scratch really and get someone new in.

Pretty sure Bowyer is gone regardless, not sure why he would want any more of it. Even if Varney sounds more positive, don't know why he would go through it again for another risk when he is clearly absolutely sick of it all.
  • Options
    Any mad fcuker will do because that's on the advert!
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Wonder if Bournemouth could look at Lee if Eddie Howe decides to leave. 
    Nearer to France.
    Quicker through the Chunnel with us than by boat from Poole or Pompey though 😉.
    Lives in Sevenoaks, just minutes away from Gatwick.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Bowyer is an ex player with an affinity with the club but he is an ex player. If he has a significantly better offer, he will be off as he was off as a player. It sounds like I have something against him but I haven't. That is the difference between supporting a club and having a career at a club. Chrissy Powell came back and tried to beat us as a manager whilst you can never doubt his affection for us. Kermogant came back and absolutely murdered us on the pitch. It is what you do when it is your career.

He has done a terrific job for us and I was genuinely excited that we had a manager that seemed to try and win every game when he started. With meagre budgets he did amazingly getting decent squads together. I'm sure the fact we were the club he started at gave him an added satisfaction.  

But if somebody thinks all of this means he is Charlton, they are wrong. And if you have you have to tint your glasses with so much rose paint that you are not allowed to identify faults that many supporters saw, that is your choice. Seb is Charlton. The fans are Charlton and if he goes we may find Jason Euell or Johnnie Jackson are decent managers. The important thing would be to thank Bowyer, especially for that fantastic day at Wembley. Something us Charlton fans rarely experience and look to the future. And that is the most important thing for us right now. Our future and what it holds. And I don't mean on the pitch.  
    Something of an iconoclast ain’t ya!
  • Options
    My personal view is that Bowyer going will be the death knell given all the wider circumstances. Not because I think he is the best manager since sliced bread. I don’t. He makes mistakes, is inexperienced and has a fundamentally negative mindset when it comes to tactics. But tell me a manager who doesn’t have these or other failings. Klopp and Pep are excused but that’s about it. What Bowyer gave us goes much further than his management capabilities.  He gave us hope and a vestige of “our Charlton” to cling to as the shit got deeper and deeper. Just as, in his day,  SCP did but under even more trying and prolonged circumstances. Bowyer has conducted himself with dignity, loyalty and resilience that I certainly did not think he had in him given his past. I would not blame him one iota if he went elsewhere or more likely just decided to hop off back to his happy life in France. He would do either with my respect and thanks.  
    Spot on Sb....well said..👍🏼
  • Options
    He is the glue holding us together at the moment unfortunately. If he goes there will be a mass exodus of players I fear. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jackson and Euell would be a good pairing 
  • Options
    The claim that Jackson would be good for the job because he "knows the players" is nonsense. Firstly, most of the players won't be here when the manager's job becomes available. And more importantly, I don't want a manager who is chummy with the players. Familiarity breeds contempt; a good manager will gain respect - and results - through ability and authority.

Too many people on this forum make the basic mistake of equating long service with top quality. Clearly in Jackson's case - relegation as club captain and relegation as coach - the two are not related.
  • Options
    The claim that Jackson would be good for the job because he "knows the players" is nonsense. Firstly, most of the players won't be here when the manager's job becomes available. And more importantly, I don't want a manager who is chummy with the players. Familiarity breeds contempt; a good manager will gain respect - and results - through ability and authority.

Too many people on this forum make the basic mistake of equating long service with top quality. Clearly in Jackson's case - relegation as club captain and relegation as coach - the two are not related.
    Massive assumption that Jackson would be chummy with the players.
  • Options
    Can I be a firm don’t know about Jackson being manager? The only quality I know with any certainty is that he is ‘proper Charlton’, which is a good start. After that, I’ve no idea whether he’s the brains behind Bowyer, too chummy with the players, tough on the players or would be way out of his depth. Others may be better informed than me but I suspect most are just guessing. 
  • Options
    Can I be a firm don’t know about Jackson being manager? The only quality I know with any certainty is that he is ‘proper Charlton’, which is a good start. After that, I’ve no idea whether he’s the brains behind Bowyer, too chummy with the players, tough on the players or would be way out of his depth. Others may be better informed than me but I suspect most are just guessing. 
    That’s where I am at too. Loved him as a player. Great to have him in the club right now. Is he managerial material? Not sure about that. He came across a little naive in his support of Meire when she was spouting all that garbage. Is he a strong enough character to manage footballers? Maybe if we fall through the trap door to a lower level of football but not at Championship or League 1 level, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    I understand Lee doesn’t WANT to leave but whether he does remains to be seen.

Maybe, just maybe, someone has given him a bit of reassurance?!

im ever the optimist
    Lee loves a battle and this will be the biggest of his career.
  • Options
    I know he's ex Millwall but i'd like to see Mick McCarthy given a go if Bowyer goes. I think we'll need a steady hand for a couple of years and he doesnt take any bullsh*t either. Always appears to be open and honest as well. 
    No disrespect but he’d probably earn more from punditry and without the agg
  • Options
    I know he's ex Millwall but i'd like to see Mick McCarthy given a go if Bowyer goes. I think we'll need a steady hand for a couple of years and he doesnt take any bullsh*t either. Always appears to be open and honest as well. 
    Yeah I'd agree with that, I can't see us getting any established manager like Mick McCarthy or the Cowleys as some have said above. 
  • Options
    Yeah I'd agree with that, I can't see us getting any established manager like Mick McCarthy or the Cowleys as some have said above. 
    The manager I’ve always been impressed with is Nigel Clough would be the ideal type of manager but can’t see anyone wanting to put up with the current rubbish going on. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    meldrew66 said:
    That’s where I am at too. Loved him as a player. Great to have him in the club right now. Is he managerial material? Not sure about that. He came across a little naive in his support of Meire when she was spouting all that garbage. Is he a strong enough character to manage footballers? Maybe if we fall through the trap door to a lower level of football but not at Championship or League 1 level, in my opinion.
    I think the Meire thing was something of a fait accompli against poor old Jacko.

The CEO wanted a player with her and Jacko drew the short straw.

He could hardly stand up in the middle of the Meeting and say 'what a load of old bollocks you stupid cow!' All he could do was what he did and look like the 3 monkeys for an hour or however long it was. See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.
  • Options

Valid point
  • Options
    Coming on here with these negative comments, I hope we get rowett, that will teach you!
  • Options
    Think he will need to take Gallen and Jackson to be successful if he does go. Plus relocate his family. Think he is waiting to see what happens first 
  • Options
    Assuming Bowyer goes and if we had decent owners I would like to see any of Cowley Brothers or Ainsworth.  Quite like the thought of Nigel Clough as mentioned above too.  If it is to be Jacko then either Pratley or Andy Hughes as assistant sounds good.
  • Options
    Russell Slade is available...........
  • Options
    How about Matt Taylor at Exeter? I know they had an awful play off final experience but he seems to have made a decent start to management and might be a possible contender if Bowyer does go.
  • Options
    Rumour- if Dyche moves on, Bowyer to Burnley.