Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leeds United v Charlton Athletic | Wed 22 July | 19.30pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    I really don’t think we have much chance here, Leeds are the best team in the division, they’ve had their on the beach day and will want to see the season out in style.

We’ll be relying on what happens elsewhere and, most likely (as I think Luton will win), whether Wigan get their points defection. 
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    I’m really hoping that Field is fit to start, as we’re going to need his defensive ability and calm use of the ball to keep things ticking over. If he’s out (and I can’t see JFC recovering from a groin strain), I guess that Albie and maybe even George Lapslie will come in. I’d rather not see Deji labouring out of position in midfield.

Subject to fatigue and any other players carrying knocks, the same line up as Wigan would make sense, with Davison starting ahead of Hemed. Although Josh is raw and inexperienced, we’re going to need some movement and pace up front to give our players an out ball and relieve the pressure. Williams, McGeady and Aneke are also more than useful options to deploy from the bench.

In contrast to their underwhelming performance against Barnsley, Leeds are likely to play with freedom and a sense of joie de vivre, although this Charlton team are nothing if not fighters. With a bit of overdue luck, we are capable of taking something from the game, provided we avoid any sloppiness at the back. We are also, I think, going to need a big performance from our outstanding young goalkeeper.

Apropos of Don Revie and Leeds in the1970s, I remember that they also introduced absurd sock tags with the players’ numbers on. Thankfully, that was one innovation that didn’t catch on, although these apparently now sell for substantial sums on ebay, so what do I know.

Finally, can I add my thanks to @Sage and @ForeverAddickted for their excellent and insightful previews throughout the season. It can’t always have been easy to keep going at many of the low points and your commitment to the CL cause is admirable.

I feel like we always say this, but I’m not really sure it’s true this season. Getting a late goal against Wigan was wonderful, but it feels like we’ve conceded a lot of late goals (not sure if that’s statistically true) and our inability to see games out could cost us very dearly. 
  • Options
    You’re absolutely right about the concession of late goals @se9addick, but I personally think that’s primarily down to our low possession stats and the tiredness, physically and mentally, that results from that. Teams who can’t keep the ball tend to get worn out. Lack of confidence and fear also plays a part, of course.
  • Options
    Difference is here with leeds they are patient build up side any way if we go 1 - 0 up they aren't going just throw everything at us they dont need to , the only way we lose this game is if we go too open too early,  keep it cagey and see what's going on else where.
  • Options
    Bottom 3 and we wait, and wait and wait...
  • Options
    Everyones so pessimistic here! Leeds are champs and on the piss with nothing to play for, and no crowd.  We are up for it and have already beaten them this year. Its meant to be with bowyer going back to leeds. 

We will do it! 
  • Options
    Defeat and relegation.
  • Options
    😂🙈
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just a reminder current table including Wigan's deduction:

If Wednesday do get a deduction, they can save Wigan!

#ClubMatchesWDLGoals+/-Pts
    Leeds UnitedLeeds45279973:353890
    West Bromwich AlbionWest Brom452216775:433282
    Brentford FCBrentford452491279:364381
    Fulham FCFulham  4523111163:471680
    Nottingham ForestNottm Forest4518161157:461170
    Cardiff CityCardiff  4518161165:58770
    Swansea CitySwansea4517161258:52667
    Preston North EndPreston NE4518111658:53565
    Millwall FCMillwall4516171253:50365
    10 Blackburn RoversBlackburn4517121664:60463
    11 Bristol CityBristol City4517111759:64-562
    12 Derby CountyDerby4516131659:63-461
    13 Queens Park RangersQPR451692065:74-957
    14 Reading FCReading4515111958:54456
    15 Sheffield WednesdaySheff Wed4515111957:64-756
    16 Stoke CityStoke City451582258:67-953
    17 Huddersfield TownHuddersfield  4513122051:66-1551
    18 Middlesbrough FCMiddlesbrough4512141946:60-1450
    19 Birmingham CityBirmingham4512141953:72-1950
    20 Charlton AthleticCharlton  4512122150:61-1148
    21 Luton TownLuton  451392351:80-2948
    22 Wigan AthleticWigan *4515131756:55146
    23 Barnsley FCBarnsley FC  4511132147:68-2146
    24 Hull CityHull City451292457:84-2745
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    You’re absolutely right about the concession of late goals @se9addick, but I personally think that’s primarily down to our low possession stats and the tiredness, physically and mentally, that results from that. Teams who can’t keep the ball tend to get worn out. Lack of confidence and fear also plays a part, of course.
    So we are fighters...until we get tired before the end of the match and concede! 
  • Options
    That’s about the size of it - the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak !
  • Options
    5-0 Leeds.

No idea about the other games though.
  • Options
    The Brentford game will be the template for the Leeds game. Charlton were excellent for 60 minutes against Brentford but we have few midfielders or forwards capable of playing 100 minutes which is the average length of our matches since the mini League started. Macaulay Bonne may be the only one as he proved by taking that added time goal with aplomb.

Leeds shooting was really poor at the Valley despite them dominating the match.

I won't be on the match thread as it's the optimists on CL before the game who slaughter our honest players the most.

No pressure on the Leeds team which may or not work in our favour. A plucky defeat for me. I Could never see how we could lose to Millwall, Reading and give away the late goal to Birmingham and not be in the bottom 3.

Other than Hull who have been useless in every game bar 1 in the mini league, every team in bottom 7 have matched or beaten our points total so far.
  • Options
    This thread is not good for my health. I had managed to put the game aside in my head with the plan of worrying about it at 7.29 on Wednesday. Now, I'm starting to fret. Yes, I know it will all be alright on the night but I wish it was done already.
  • Options
    This thread is not good for my health. I had managed to put the game aside in my head with the plan of worrying about it at 7.29 on Wednesday. Now, I'm starting to fret. Yes, I know it will all be alright on the night but I wish it was done already.
    I kind of resigned myself to relegation after the failure to hold on against Birmingham. In the cold light of day, after the excitement of a last minute equaliser, picking up a point against Wigan doesn’t really make up for dropping two against Brum. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I kind of resigned myself to relegation after the failure to hold on against Birmingham. In the cold light of day, after the excitement of a last minute equaliser, picking up a point against Wigan doesn’t really make up for dropping two against Brum. 
    Whilst I agree that the Brum result was a bit of a disaster, please remember that although we earned 1pt against Wigan we stopped them gaining 2 with that goal at the end as well...
  • Options
    EFL AGM to be held in middle of August and we may not know until then which clubs will be relegated, after all the appeals have done
  • Options
    1 - 1 Draw , Bonne with our goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2020
    The Brentford game will be the template for the Leeds game. Charlton were excellent for 60 minutes against Brentford but we have few midfielders or forwards capable of playing 100 minutes which is the average length of our matches since the mini League started. Macaulay Bonne may be the only one as he proved by taking that added time goal with aplomb.

Leeds shooting was really poor at the Valley despite them dominating the match.

I won't be on the match thread as it's the optimists on CL before the game who slaughter our honest players the most.

No pressure on the Leeds team which may or not work in our favour. A plucky defeat for me. I Could never see how we could lose to Millwall, Reading and give away the late goal to Birmingham and not be in the bottom 3.

Other than Hull who have been useless in every game bar 1 in the mini league, every team in bottom 7 have matched or beaten our points total so far.
    Because we have a very good record against the top 6 I guess.
    Which is why I think we have a chance tomorrow, a view which was cemented by our spirited performance against Wigan. Leeds are good, but they're not *that* good, and I doubt they'll be able to give 100% with nothing to play for. We surprised Wigan, and you could see their (over) confidence draining away after our first equaliser. Even when they went a goal up they were quite nervous, and fortunately their time wasting was punished by our second.
    To me it's like last year's play off final. Win, and we get to play in the Championship next season.
    And if the gods are smiling on us, and other results go our way, we also might - even if we draw or lose.
    It's funny how some lifers have predicted heavy defeats all season, and they haven't materialised. Hopefully tomorrow will be no different.
    1-1
    I'm nervous already.
  • Options
    I don’t think we’ll get any favours out of Leeds. Think we’ll lose by 3 or 4. We’re depending on Blackburn, Brentford and Fulham to help us avoid the drop 
  • Options
    edited July 2020

• Options
    Not sure we will ship 4 goals but Leeds will not do us any favours. A weak hungover Leeds team are still a lot better than us 
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    I don’t think we’ll get any favours out of Leeds. Think we’ll lose by 3 or 4. We’re depending on Blackburn, Brentford and Fulham to help us avoid the drop 
    Leaving aside our result, if Blackburn and Brentford win, we're safe

The Wigan situation is a massive "second" chance but I'd much rather be safe without having to rely on them
  • Options
    Where's the Roll Call Thread?
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    And the EFL at that.

Thanks for the previews this season @Sage and FA. I rarely predict on the threads but tomorrow I can't see us getting the win however hard I want us to have it. An early goal for Leeds and the legs will go on our players soon after for a heavy rout.

P.S. I also rarely predict the result as I am terrible at it.

One last time this season COYA!!!
  • Options
    First of first of all, a big thanks to sage for another great preview. His words of wisdom have been a joy to read all season and looking forward to more next term - hopefully in the Championship.
     Now, will we be there?
     I believe we have a great chance of at least avoiding defeat at Leeds ans, possibly, winning. Why? Because of all the talk of Leeds' professionalism etc, I don't think their heads will be in the right place and with our team of fighters, we can, hopefully, capitalise.
     2-1 to the Addicks.
  • Options
    Not Hemed please