Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Leeds United v Charlton Athletic | Wed 22 July | 19.30pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

edited July 2020 in General Charlton
Leeds United v Charlton Athletic
Wednesday 22 July | Kick-Off: 19.30pm (Live on Valley Pass)

Previous Result: Charlton Athletic 1-0 Leeds United

Referee: Geoff Eltringham (County Durham) - Previously Officiated Charlton: Huddersfield (A)

Introduction
So here we are... as we watch the curtain close on what has been the longest ever campaign, who would have thought our fate would still be in our own hands by this stage of the season? No matter what happens going forward, Bowyer, the players, and everyone involved have done an incredible job with what we, as a club, have had to contend with over the last 12 months. This is a season we will never forget for a variety of reasons; many of which we would rather forget or wish they never happened - but in typical Charlton style, we must suffer more than most before we see the light at the end of the tunnel. And we are nearly there. Up next - for the final time - is away at the champions, Leeds United.

Opposition
Manager: Marcelo Bielsa | Stadium: Elland Road
League Position: 1st (Champions) | Nickname(s): The Whites
Fun Facts:
- Tony Yeboah's wonder goal against Liverpool back in 1995 was scored the minute I was born. 

- The last time Leeds United won the Second Division/The Championship was back in 1990. Incredibly, that was also the last time Liverpool won the First Division, up until this year. 

- As often in life, we find strange coincidences and events usually come full circle. The same can be applied to this fixture. Prior to Leeds United's relegation from the Premier League back in 2004, their last fixture at Elland Road was against Charlton. That day, we drew 3-3. This time, Leeds' last home fixture in The Championship upon their return to the top flight, is of course, Charlton Athletic.

- Leeds were the first club to make a replica shirt available to sell. It was Don Revie back in the 1970s who saw the opportunity to increase the clubs income by selling replica shirts to supporters. 

Leeds United kicked off their celebrations on Sunday by beating Derby 3-1, making 7 changes to the side that emerged victorious against Barnsley on Thursday. With Bielsa resting some key players, giving some youngsters a chance instead, we can expect the ones who were on the bench to come in on Wednesday. Their line up against Derby was:

Casilla
Dallas | Berardi | White | Douglas
Struijk
Poveda | Hernández | Shackleton | Alioski
Roberts

After 16 eventful and often gut-wrenching years away from the Premier League, Leeds United are back. Inspired by a tactical master, and this time without the infamous binoculars, Marcelo Bielsa has created Leeds into a force again. A manager who is recognised by Pep Guardiola as the best coach in the world, and a leader of his disciples, he has most certainly gained himself legendary status at the club. Criticism that Bielsa has faced over the years has been how his sides often fade away and burn out near the end of the season due to the amount that's expected of them. So although Leeds were on a run of 5 wins in a row pre-lockdown, the break could have been a real benefit to the team as they've picked up 19 points since the return last month; clinching promotion and the title over the weekend. Leeds have shown this season that keeping the ball out of the net is just as important as finding it up the other end. With 9 clean sheets in their last 13 games and 21 all season, The Whites boast the best defensive record in the league. To get promotion without a striker scoring 20 goals in a season is rather unusual, especially from a team who average the most possession, chances created, and shots per game in the whole division. Being truly clinical has been a problem for the table toppers too.

The style of football Leeds play is a joy to watch when they get going. The high intense press is a key theme to the success of a Bielsa side who work hard to win the ball back as quickly as possible, and then rarely waste possession when they do. They have the ability to pass a team to death if they really wanted, but that's not their way. Patient yet meaningful play with excellent movement and a sudden switch of tempo is often how Leeds carve openings against their opposition. A fantastic recent example coming against Stoke where a 30 pass move ended in sucking the Stoke defenders out to follow a run, and a superb sweeping finish by Pablo Hernández made it 4-0. But that's not all they do. A meeting at the beginning of the month, led by their senior players after they failed to beat Luton at home, meant that it was agreed amongst themselves if the opportunity arises, they should play longer passes to release their front players quicker. Since then, Leeds have won every game and shown they can add a new string to their bow if needed. However, a weakness that Leeds have often struggled to deal with is when the opposition play with a back 5 - something Bowyer noticed and exploited in September. Leeds find it hard to break teams down when they're compact and organised. With Bamford as a lone striker, he heavily relies on the support of the midfielders and wide men, occupying 3 centre backs has presented somewhat of a challenge that the keen violinist has yet to overcome. It's most definitely a tactic you should expect Bowyer to deploy once again on Wednesday evening.

In terms of personnel, Leeds will be without arguably their best player. Kalvin Phillips, dubbed as The Yorkshire Pirlo, has a knee injury which will see him out for around 5 weeks. As the anchor man in the side, he plays a key role in the team's success and that's shown as Leeds have won 21 times this season when Phillips has started. Pablo Hernández is the playmaker, the piece of the jigsaw that make Leeds come together. With 9 goals and as many assists so far this season, the 35 year-old has shown that age is just a number. It is fair to say they most certainly wouldn't be where they are without the Spaniard playing such an integral role. One other player worth a mention is Mateusz Klich. The Polish international midfielder found it difficult when he first arrived in Yorkshire, but has featured in almost every single game since Bielsa took over as manager, scoring just shy of 20 goals across the two seasons. That shows how highly regarded he is to the way Leeds play. Klich is definitely a player we are going to have to be careful of on Wednesday.

Charlton Team News

As a gift to Leeds and Bielsa, I hope Bowyer gives them a pair of brand new binoculars and the blue prints of each of the Premier League clubs training grounds ready for next season. This is a much better way of trying to convince them to go easy on us on Wednesday evening. However, even with their incredible fitness levels, Leeds could be tired come the time we play them. After playing away to Derby on Sunday afternoon on top of the celebrations and partying from winning the league, add in the factor that they will have no crowd to motivate them, could this be a perfect opportunity to play Leeds? Bowyer will have us ready; encouraged by the spirit shown and the amount of chances we created on Saturday. Yes, more wasteful finishing mean that we go into the last game knowing we must match or better results from elsewhere, but they will be feeling the pressure too.

In terms of personnel for the Addicks, we know Darren Pratley is out with a hamstring injury. What we don't yet know is the extent of Sam Field's hip injury and Jake Forster-Caskey's pulled groin. We can hope that at least one of them recovers enough to make the squad on Wednesday, otherwise it could leave us short of bodies in the centre of midfield. Josh Davison put in an impressive display against Wigan. Holding the ball up well, being physical, winning his battles, and pressing high up the pitch before making way for Aneke who made a great impact off the bench. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thinking again from Bowyer. Although, Hemed would have had time to fully recover from his tiredness, and his experience could be a telling factor in Bowyer's thinking. Question marks remain as to whether we will see Lewis Page in the squad for one final time. I am sure it was part of the plan should we have confirmed our safety by this point. But the emergence of Alfie Doughty this season, including his excellent volley on Saturday, has shown once again the incredible work that our academy do. Jonny Williams was picked out earlier in the season as the best opposition player Leeds had come up against. Kalvin Phillips and Marcelo Bielsa singled out the number 7 for special praise in his performance back in September. In a game as big as this, I think it's a certainty that the Welsh international will start. 

Subs: Amos, Oshilaja, Page, Lapslie, Morgan, McGeady, Green, Aneke, Davison

Prediction
As ever the optimist, the late equaliser on Saturday could prove to be an important point and a confidence boost the players might've needed going into the final game of the season. With fate in our own hands, it's a position everyone would've taken if offered to us back in August. As shown in each and every round of fixtures, anyone can beat anyone in this division, so it would be foolish to say we have no chance. The result back in September, the circumstances of both sides, and our togetherness within the group show we can approach this game positively. With the league so unpredictable, one thing that is for certain is how nervous every Addick is going to be wherever they are in the world. Let's try and enjoy it as much as we can, and trust we will be relieved come the final whistle on Wednesday night.

Leeds United 1-1 Charlton Athletic
Bonne

N.B. Finally, I would like to thank everyone for their contributions and support this season. I wish you all a happy and healthy summer, ready to go again next season. Come on you reds!

Comments

• What sort of team are we expecting from Leeds? 
  • We've beat them once this season, let's do it again.
  • Will Pearce be fit I wonder?
  • it feels like '72 all over again..................... 5-0 to Leeds 
  • their result at Derby shows the Leeds boys are not yet on their holidays .. a lot are still looking to secure a deal for next season and Bielsa will keep them at it  .. I am praying a point will get us safe as I have a nasty feeling the EFL will bottle out of penalising Wigan as I suspect that whole fiasco will end up in court (sometime in 2023) .. back to Wednesday .. 
    rarely have so many games meant so much on the last day of the season .. I reckon Barnsley and Hull are down and that Luton will get something from their game v Blackburn .. 
    We need to do what we did at the Valley, attack them .. I can just tolerate losing (if we go  down fighting) but another late goal to beat us after 89 minutes of defending will be too much to take. I expect the chaps to give it the proverbial 200 % and pray that will be enough. Relegation after all the joy of last season will be a fucking disaster for our club.

Leeds United 1 v CAFC 1
  • Sponsored links:

• Great preview as usual  many thanks to you and FA for doing this all season. Much appreciated. 
    So with 45 games gone it's all down to the last game. I'd love to predict a win but just can't see it happening. 
    1.1 Draw and we have to hope for the best with other games. 
    Fingers crossed everyone. 
  • edited July 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    Assuming Field is injured and the Pratley is still out I want to see: 

Phillips
    Matthews | Lockyer | Sarr | Doughty
    Morgan   Cullen | Field 
    McGeady | Williams | Green
    Bonne

Subs: Amos, Oshilaja, Page, Lapslie, Morgan, F.Caskey, Aneke, Davison
    good line up .. we just MUST attack and keep attacking .. although you have included the 'injured' Field ! .. make it Morgan
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Assuming Field is injured and the Pratley is still out I want to see: 

Phillips
    Matthews | Lockyer | Sarr | Doughty
    Morgan   Cullen | Field 
    McGeady | Williams | Green
    Bonne

Subs: Amos, Oshilaja, Page, Lapslie, Morgan, F.Caskey, Aneke, Davison
    good line up .. we just MUST attack and keep attacking .. although you have included the 'injured' Field ! .. make it Morgan
    Yeah Morgan if field is injured, edited the original post as I meant assume he isn't injured.
  • 5-0 to Leeds sticks in my thoughts on this one.

Gonna be a mighty depressing evening.
  • 0-0 - we rarely get out of our own half - but we grind it out
  • Not even going to predict this one, the footballing gods will decide.

said it in the last one but thanks @ForeverAddickted and @Sage for all previews this season 👍🏻 
  • the referee scored 6.0 for our away game at Hudds, the referee average for the season stands at 5.41
  • edited July 2020
    Sadly I feel that even if Leeds field a weakened team and take their foot off the gas they will still beat us, they are not champions for nothing and play some lovely football.

I can see Luton winning so if I am correct it will all come down to who gets what point deductions to save us.

Hope I am wrong and we win but I cannot see it with our powder puff attack. 

Thanks for the previews as well lads (Sage & FA), great work and effort and musc appriciated.
  • Just feel barnsley will grind out a win and can't see us getting any thing at Leeds? Do you?? But how did we even get to this nail biting point to where we were against birmingham on 72 mins??
  • Sponsored links:

• All out attack and sarr free kick winner in the 89th 
  • Relax it'll be fine 0-2.

said it in the last one but thanks @ForeverAddickted and @Sage for all previews this season 👍🏻 
    Sky Sports did just that, back in May on what should have been the final day ...

I'm not going to argue with that.

Done deal. ;)

(They actually had us winning 3-1 ... Leeds had two players sent off (76' and 90+1') and someone called Matt Smith - no, me neither! - sealed it with a goal after 90+3')
    Man City kid who joined us on loan, how can you not remember him!!..
  • 3-1 Leeds and we nervously wait for results from elsewhere

Sky Sports did just that, back in May on what should have been the final day ...

Done deal. ;)

(They actually had us winning 3-1 ... Leeds had two players sent off (76' and 90+1') and someone called Matt Smith - no, me neither! - sealed it with a goal after 90+3')
    Of course I remembered him: one of the unholy trinity who didn't return after lockdown. I couldn't believe that Sky Sports had him featuring in the simulated match!

Also, wasn't he Doctor Who for a wee while? ;)

Has anyone noticed how Macca gets his second goal? He's learnt from his mistakes already.

Good boy.
  • edited July 2020
    Not even going to predict this one, the footballing gods will decide.

Done deal. ;)

Of course I remembered him: one of the unholy trinity who didn't return after lockdown. I couldn't believe that Sky Sports had him featuring in the simulated match!

Also, wasn't he Doctor Who for a wee while? ;)

Has anyone noticed how Macca gets his second goal? He's learnt from his mistakes already.

Good boy.
    Nope he did return, just similar to Hemed he returned slightly

If I recall he then picked up an injury just prior to the Hull game so Charlton cancelled his loan deal as he wasnt going to get back fit in time

The unholy trinity was D***s | S***y | T****r
  • Well I wish I was feeling more positive. I think Luton will win. Hopeful that Fulham get a win at Wigan. Hope for a bit of luck as we are due a decision or two to go our way. Willing us to get a win. Desperate for survival this season. Relegation will be such a massive blow. 2-0 to Charlton. OG and Williams.