Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• Even if we break the wage cap and face a fine for doing so then some of the Bonne money could just be used to pay the fine, right?
  • cafc-west said:
    Ferryman said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    As I understand the delay on Matthews and one other is its a balancing act between 3 perms and 1 loan. 

Bowyer wants a first choice striker, center back and right back.  Plus another forward.  After that it will be 1 in, 1 out. 

I think the problem is the second striker as they want an u21 loan but can't guarantee game time.  

They want the Danish striker, Matthews and my center half but may look at replacing one of them with a loan to bring in the extra forward on a perm. 
    So Schwartz ain't here sitting out his quarantine?
    Apparently he doesn't have to.  Go back 2-3 pages and there is a long discussion on it.  Top 6 divisions in UK fall into the category of elite sports and are exempt.  Highly likely he's been tested regularly so will be good to go...
    yes but where is he?

• edited September 2020
    cafc-west said:
    Ferryman said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    As I understand the delay on Matthews and one other is its a balancing act between 3 perms and 1 loan. 

Bowyer wants a first choice striker, center back and right back.  Plus another forward.  After that it will be 1 in, 1 out. 

I think the problem is the second striker as they want an u21 loan but can't guarantee game time.  

They want the Danish striker, Matthews and my center half but may look at replacing one of them with a loan to bring in the extra forward on a perm. 
    Apparently he doesn't have to.  Go back 2-3 pages and there is a long discussion on it.  Top 6 divisions in UK fall into the category of elite sports and are exempt.  Highly likely he's been tested regularly so will be good to go...
    yes but where is he?
    Apparently no one has unzipped the tent in the Sparrows Lane car park he is staying in and has been since the embargo. 
  • edited September 2020
    To compare, Grant scored 15 leagues goals in his last 50 games for us. Bonne scored 11 in 36 last season. Grant was in League 1, Bonne in the league above. 

Despite this, people went nuts that we only got 1.5 for Grant but would be happy with the same for Bonne? I know he is a bit older but still don't understand that. Grant had a great 6 months but Bonne has scored goals at Champ level. 
    I can only go off what i’ve seen, and that is that he’s not good enough if we’re serious about promotion.
    Actually I don’t disagree. We definitely need another striker through the door. Selling Bonne means we need another 2. Getting Bonne replaced adequately, with the salary cap is very difficult. If Bows decides it can be done I’ll accept that, but a risky move in my opinion. 
  • cafc-west said:
    Ferryman said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

yes but where is he?

Parking up in Zampa Rd as we speak.....

• Think this is what LB has been hinting at last week saying if the offer is right. Almost got the impression LB was engouring a bid for a player and thought it might have been Bonne. 

He might see it that they signed him for 200k, sell fro 1m plus with add ons and get two players in is good business for the club at this stage. 
    I don't even think the issue is whether Bonne is a good striker or not.

IMO I don't feel he's a natural fit for Bowyer's game plan.
    Bowyer likes 2 mobile front runners, in the Taylor/Grant mould who are interactive with each other, can hold up and run with the ball, and play off the shoulder.

Bonne is not that style of player. He's a penalty box poacher.

• Oggy Red said:
    Some people comparing Bonne with Taylor or Grant.

Taylor had guile, passive aggression and ability with the ball. He played his football in his head first; if you like, Taylor had football intelligence.

Grant, well .... if I'm honest, I didn't see a lot of football intelligence, especially with some of his decision making; more that he has 2 or 3 ways of playing that  he's perfected. He's a strong lad, can run with the ball and drive into the box, getting shots away.

Both of those players suited Bowyer's ideal gameplan with their hard running and slippery movement.
    And especially worked well in tandem.

Bonne's a penalty box goal poacher. He doesn't create outside of the box, he's not a target man but he works hard and is a willing runner. He doesn't really create his own chances. But given a service into the box, his movement and anticipation is good - and while he misses chances, remember he's in the right place at the right time to miss them. But he'll convert enough of them, the law of averages takes care of that, as we saw with Bonne last season. 

I do feel however, Bonne could help himself if he become a little more pro-active in making things happen, showing a little of Taylor's passive aggression but also to allow himself to play his own game - remember, football's a game played in the head, and in my IMO, that's where Bonne needs to make improvement.

To me Taylor is a far better player than Grant

But Grant is the one who earned a move to the PL and who is likely to be returning there, not Taylor...
  • Oggy Red said:

Think this is what LB has been hinting at last week saying if the offer is right. Almost got the impression LB was engouring a bid for a player and thought it might have been Bonne. 

He might see it that they signed him for 200k, sell fro 1m plus with add ons and get two players in is good business for the club at this stage. 
    I don't even think the issue is whether Bonne is a good striker or not.

IMO I don't feel he's a natural fit for Bowyer's game plan.
    Bowyer likes 2 mobile front runners, in the Taylor/Grant mould who are interactive with each other, can hold up and run with the ball, and play off the shoulder.

Bonne is not that style of player. He's a penalty box poacher.

Agree and if Bowyer continues with 4-3-3 (which I feel is partly due to it suiting Doughty) then he needs the main striker to have a good touch, ability to hold up the ball and ideally have a decent eye for a pass.

When Bonne’s Bonne’s having a good game he does ok holding up the ball, but generally his touch lets him down too often.
  • Sponsored links:

• To compare, Grant scored 15 leagues goals in his last 50 games for us. Bonne scored 11 in 36 last season. Grant was in League 1, Bonne in the league above. 

Despite this, people went nuts that we only got 1.5 for Grant but would be happy with the same for Bonne? I know he is a bit older but still don't understand that. Grant had a great 6 months but Bonne has scored goals at Champ level. 
    I can only go off what i’ve seen, and that is that he’s not good enough if we’re serious about promotion.
    Actually I don’t disagree. We need definitely need another striker through the door. Selling Bonne means we need another 2. Getting Bonne replaced adequately, with the salary cap is very difficult. If Bows decides it can be done I’ll accept that, but a risky move in my opinion. 
    I’m guessing that if the rumours stating that Maddison is back on the radar then that’s the gap to be filled if Bonne departs. Schwartz the other incoming. If Bonne stays then I’d guess Maddison will be dropped.
  • edited September 2020
    Bonne's goals last season came when playing alongside Taylor or Leko. 

Once those options were gone, his goals dried up a bit. He needs a good forward partner that is unselfish. 

I think given Cawley's comments that we'll likely sell Bonne and buy two strikers that maybe Washington is now being seen as the Bonne replacement and we'll get a couple of quick players in to support him. 

If Bonne is aware of this it may explain why he's not got properly stuck in since that first game. 
  • To compare, Grant scored 15 leagues goals in his last 50 games for us. Bonne scored 11 in 36 last season. Grant was in League 1, Bonne in the league above. 

Actually I don’t disagree. We need definitely need another striker through the door. Selling Bonne means we need another 2. Getting Bonne replaced adequately, with the salary cap is very difficult. If Bows decides it can be done I’ll accept that, but a risky move in my opinion. 
    I’m guessing that if the rumours stating that Maddison is back on the radar then that’s the gap to be filled if Bonne departs. Schwartz the other incoming. If Bonne stays then I’d guess Maddison will be dropped.
    I'd like both, we still need 2 defenders and 2 attacking players as an absolute minimum. Even under the salary cap I think we can sign 5 as long as at least two are U21. 

If we're going to sacrifice a player for their wages it has to be Phillips. 
  • Macronate said:
    Come back Lyle, all is forgiven.
    NO. :)
  • Guessing we're looking at 5 players still

Matthews
    CB
    Maddison 
    Schwartz
    Another FW
  • Oggy Red said:

Taylor had guile, passive aggression and ability with the ball. He played his football in his head first; if you like, Taylor had football intelligence.

Grant, well .... if I'm honest, I didn't see a lot of football intelligence, especially with some of his decision making; more that he has 2 or 3 ways of playing that  he's perfected. He's a strong lad, can run with the ball and drive into the box, getting shots away.

Both of those players suited Bowyer's ideal gameplan with their hard running and slippery movement.

Bonne's a penalty box goal poacher. He doesn't create outside of the box, he's not a target man but he works hard and is a willing runner. He doesn't really create his own chances. But given a service into the box, his movement and anticipation is good - and while he misses chances, remember he's in the right place at the right time to miss them. But he'll convert enough of them, the law of averages takes care of that, as we saw with Bonne last season. 

I do feel however, Bonne could help himself if he become a little more pro-active in making things happen, showing a little of Taylor's passive aggression but also to allow himself to play his own game - remember, football's a game played in the head, and in my IMO, that's where Bonne needs to make improvement.

But Grant is the one who earned a move to the PL and who is likely to be returning there, not Taylor...
    Taylor is the one with 'football intelligence', but he's 30 years old.
    If Taylor had been 21, performing well and freely scoring, I'm sure he could also have been snapped up by a lower Prem side.

Remember, in the Prem pace is important - Grant has more pace, more physical, and able to drive into the box with the ball.
    That's a different set of attributes.

• edited September 2020
    It’s very very quiet! None of these rumours have much substance to them. Starting to worry.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Guessing we're looking at 5 players still

Matthews
    CB
    Maddison 
    Schwartz
    Another FW
    Be happy with that, would be 4 if Bonne stayed. 

I'm guessing the tricky bit is that the CB needs to be decent and if the above list is correct, probably U21. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I’ll trust Bowyer and Gallen on this, with the salary cap it’s about making the most you can with the limited budget. For example I t might be the case that there’s a good young striker available who we can loan while there’s a senior midfielder we want to create space in the squad for.
  • wondering if the hold up with announcing Schwartz is waiting for international clearance?
  • The mystery CB is going to be key here.

Where's @Redhenry when you need him?

• Think this is what LB has been hinting at last week saying if the offer is right. Almost got the impression LB was engouring a bid for a player and thought it might have been Bonne. 

Another thing, it's been reported on here already that Bowyer wants 2 strikers, which could only mean he's prepared to trade in one of his strikers in the squad.

The wage cap dictates that.

• Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

If Taylor had been 21, performing well and freely scoring, I'm sure he could also have been snapped up by a lower Prem side.

Remember, in the Prem pace is important - Grant has more pace, more physical, and able to drive into the box with the ball.

Taylor's all round game is better though, sometimes guile counts. Glen Murray did well for Brighton in his 30s for example leading the line
  • Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

Schwartz is 31
  • The mystery CB is going to be key here.

Where's @Redhenry when you need him?
    Agreed. On reflection I think the club are eyeing up Matthews, Maddison, Schwartz and this CB. To sign all 4 they need to get rid of someone who comes under the salary cap. Phillips was probably the one but we've not received a viable bid but Bonne is going to be sacrificed. The club probably have a U21 lined up that they can't get in other positions. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Guessing we're looking at 5 players still

Matthews
    CB
    Maddison 
    Schwartz
    Another FW
    Be happy with that, would be 4 if Bonne stayed. 

I'm guessing the tricky bit is that the CB needs to be decent and if the above list is correct, probably U21. 
    I guess Matthews may be the one sacrificed for an U21 loanee, less dangerous than 2 young CB's