Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• Options
    Can Sorba still be done later because he is a National League player and they don’t have a ‘window’ 
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Southbank said:
    No proven goalscorer=no promotion
    Got in the play-offs in 96 with Leaburn as top scorer on 9. Prospered in the Premier League pre-Bent without prolific scorers (JJ had one season when he got 14). Parky got us close to the automatic spots with Burton and Mooney up front.

This division is dross. Peterborough, Sunderland, Ipswich, Pompey and Hull are our main rivals and none of them are going to power to the title like we did in 2012. We've got a solid squad, with some strength in depth for the first time in ages. I don't expect us to romp to the title, the salary cap has prevented anyone from spending the money required to do that. I do expect us to be there or thereabouts, and I think the top 6 sides will have lower points totals than previous years due the levelling effect of the salary cap causing more dropped points across the board against weaker sides.
    Lincoln City will be right up there.
  • Options
    Can Sorba still be done later because he is a National League player and they don’t have a ‘window’ 
    Nope as our window is closed for signing players
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    To me it looks like its Sorba OR Smyth for the wide/winger place. Was Cawley referring to Smyth just then or Sorba ?  Can't see us signing both as we still NEED A STRIKER WHO CAN SCORE US THE GOALS WE NEED TO WIN GAMES.
    In my opinion the latter won’t happen. Just have to hope that the likes of Bogle and Washington can score more goals in a season than they have ever done before.
    If you look at there best goal scoring Washington got better than 1 in 3 for Peterborough and Bogle better than 1 in 2 for Grimsby.    If you forget they both didn't score in the championship that's 2 in 3, or better between them. 
    HaHa so you're happy to forget the championship where bogle scored few goals 8 in 50 games, you're happy to big him up because he scored 19 goals in league 2 3/4 years ago & don't mention his league 1 record of 5 in 21 games. I've only mentioned league games but he has never scored in the cups. He's a turkey & must dread Christmas every year. Surely we could have got a decent youngster from a premiership club who could get a few goals for us
    If it were possible I'm sure we would have done it. Who did you have in mind? Was he available? Willing to come to Charlton? Did he suit how Bowyer wants to play? Is it possible he's fictional?
  • Options
    dickplumb said:
    I have got a novel idea. Shall we wait and see how the new players do for us?
    It’s a radical idea that will never take off at Charlton. It’s best to judge now and, when they actually turn out decent, you need to keep beating the drum of how bad they are to save face.

i call it the “reverse Albie Morgan” factor.  Heralded as the second coming but not seeing it when he plays at the moment.  But we all still clamour for him to start.
    copy and paste for Macauley Bonne 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Phillips has gone
  • Options
    Assuming Sorba has not been done then you have got to feel for the lad. He must have thought a deal was done to pull out of their squad on Tuesday and to start following us on Twitter. Hope that wasn’t his only shot at league football.
    If he keeps playing well, it won't be.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    MrLargo said:
    Southbank said:
    No proven goalscorer=no promotion
    Got in the play-offs in 96 with Leaburn as top scorer on 9. Prospered in the Premier League pre-Bent without prolific scorers (JJ had one season when he got 14). Parky got us close to the automatic spots with Burton and Mooney up front.

This division is dross. Peterborough, Sunderland, Ipswich, Pompey and Hull are our main rivals and none of them are going to power to the title like we did in 2012. We've got a solid squad, with some strength in depth for the first time in ages. I don't expect us to romp to the title, the salary cap has prevented anyone from spending the money required to do that. I do expect us to be there or thereabouts, and I think the top 6 sides will have lower points totals than previous years due the levelling effect of the salary cap causing more dropped points across the board against weaker sides.
    Redrobo (above) says Lincoln will be "right up there". And Donny wiped the floor with us at The Valley a few weeks ago.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    @ButtleJR The wage cap can't be used as a reason. We could quite easily have paid a striker £7.5kPW, but we chose to spend that money on 3 other players instead.

Time will tell if we've made the right call. I genuinely believe we have a good squad but we do look a little light up top IMO.
    we could of done, he gets injured and then everyone says 'why did we blow all our budget on 1 player and not sign 3' etc

all if's and buts, I think we've made the right call. Keeping Alfie is a big plus, we do have alot of attacking options now and I'd expect (with a bit more luck with injuries) that we'll be well in and around the top 6

Buckle up for the ride....
  • Options
    How does our new squad compare to other teams in our league
  • Options
    Tangential question: If I get a basic ValleyPass subscription does it give me access to delayed extended highlights for every game? and how soon after the match are the highlights available? (NB: picture of no relevance and simply used to get someone's attention)

You succeeded you have my full attention !!!

Well it's a million percent (if such a thing existed) YES from me.

Good bloody grief who is she ? 
    Emily Ratajkowski
    Thank you sir ! :-)
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Well that was a whirlwind three weeks, astonishing that we’ve been able to bring in 9 players in that time. Looking much better and have some depth to compete and battle through the slog of league 1. Need to get going now!!!!! 
  • Options

Tangential question: If I get a basic ValleyPass subscription does it give me access to delayed extended highlights for every game? and how soon after the match are the highlights available? (NB: picture of no relevance and simply used to get someone's attention)

Real time Updates from Conchita Wurst  all the official Conchita

You pick yours & I'll pick mine :-)
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    We shouldn't have sold Bonne if we weren't going to replace him with:

- A proven scorer in L1
    - 2 strikers who bring different skills to the game
    Stupid mistake, said at the time you don't sell your only striker without replacing him first. Lets hope Thomas likes league 1 footie.
  • Options
    I presume that we could still take on free agents if we have less than 22 named players and remain under the salary cap  

Does anyone know the rules? 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    CAFCsayer said:

Do you live on Mars? 
    Haha

I don't watch any tv, I don't use social media apart from occasionally pop onto facebook, does that count as Mars ?

I really don't need all that shit.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    dickplumb said:
    Where’s the fun it that?

I’m really underwhelmed with Bogle, Inniss and Smyth...That said they are Charlton players now so will certainly be willing them to do well.
    We are also in league 1 and with a wage cap. Beggars can’t be choosers and all that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The season starts tomorrow 
    Yep 42 games to get 90 plus points or more than other team
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Of those clubs, possibly on Peterborough have anyone who could reasonably be expect to get to 20 goals this year. We saw first-hand how poor Sunderland's strikers were neither Harrison at Portsmouth or Hawkins at Ipswich are going to get you many goals. This is turning into a division where you need a front man to lead the line and goals from just behind. Hopefully we should be able to get that quite handily.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:
    I assume you will also say that to someone ecstatic that we've signed players (e.g. Inniss) that 24 hours earlier 95% had never heard of

It would be a very dull message board if nobody was allowed an opinion on signings without having analytically watched them for at least 10 matches
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Of those clubs, possibly on Peterborough have anyone who could reasonably be expect to get to 20 goals this year. We saw first-hand how poor Sunderland's strikers were neither Harrison at Portsmouth or Hawkins at Ipswich are going to get you many goals. This is turning into a division where you need a front man to lead the line and goals from just behind. Hopefully we should be able to get that quite handily.
    Agreed, with Eisa not able to get in their starting 11 Peterborough have the best strike force in the league but I believe we have the best midfield in the league.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    I think Dillon's agent has screwed him over by looking selfishly for a personal 'pay-day'. Dillon would be well advised to dump his agent or he may end up out of the limelight for the season, such a pity when agents get involved and end up screwing it up!
    Blimey. Dillons really pushed Bowyers buttons.
    Still think Bowyers made the right decision. Agent’s  potentially f*cked Dillon over?
    An agent is there to advise & yes most seem to be money grabbing aresholes but the final decision is down to Philips. He's a grown man & if he wants to reject the offer of a new contract then so be it, he's done nothing wrong making that decision. 
    But you do not know the circumstances and nor do I. 
    But we do know how Bows has reacted which is very unlike his usual “ that’s football, we move on” that he has shown on all other occasions.
    No we don't know the circumstances but lets be honest here Bowyer has never shied away from telling it as it is. He was complimentary to Bonne once he was out of the door but slagged him when missing chances. He wasn't slow to reveal details about the 3 who refused to play ( & no reason not to). If there's anything going on in the background I have no doubt we would have heard at least some details but all we have heard is, if Philips won't sign a contract then he won't be our No. 1.
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Can see Bogle/Maddison/Washington and possibly Aneke getting into double figures with a few other players chipping in. Think we'll be just fine. 
    And there's always January.

• Options
    Looking forward to all those comfortable 4-0 home wins from now on.
    Oi, that's @Happy Valley  's line!  :smile:

• Options
    The season starts tomorrow 
    I think we will have to wait a couple of weeks as some of the new players are not match fit, plus they have to gel with the other players
  • Options
    Bubble said:
    At what point do we start putting up the current free transfer striker list here? 
    Now