Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• Redrobo said:
    MrLargo said:
    Southbank said:
    No proven goalscorer=no promotion
    Got in the play-offs in 96 with Leaburn as top scorer on 9. Prospered in the Premier League pre-Bent without prolific scorers (JJ had one season when he got 14). Parky got us close to the automatic spots with Burton and Mooney up front.

This division is dross. Peterborough, Sunderland, Ipswich, Pompey and Hull are our main rivals and none of them are going to power to the title like we did in 2012. We've got a solid squad, with some strength in depth for the first time in ages. I don't expect us to romp to the title, the salary cap has prevented anyone from spending the money required to do that. I do expect us to be there or thereabouts, and I think the top 6 sides will have lower points totals than previous years due the levelling effect of the salary cap causing more dropped points across the board against weaker sides.
    Lincoln City will be right up there.
    And Donny Rovers
    Think Fleetwood will have a decent season as well.
  • I thought Bonne's replacement was Bogle or am I getting it confused here?

I would much rather have Bogle and Smyth than a disinterested Bonne.

Macca's success relies on him putting in 100%, chasing down lost causes and putting pressure on the back line. He had no interest in doing that in his last two weeks with us.
    Bogle was probably Taylor's replacement, big / strong and battler

What we still need really for Bowyer's setup is a Grant / Leko type striker
    But Taylor scored goals
    Bogle hasn't even started with us yet, give him a chance ;)
    Apologies I thought this was a forum where everybody is entitled to an opinion.
    Its also a forum where everybody can be challenged on their opinion.
    It’s also a forum where people can comment unnecessarily on two earlier points well made.
  • So we could kick off our next game with only 4 or so that I have seen start a game previously.  Seems like a decent window and in the context of where we were as a club, a miraculous one. 

However, as I rarely watch any football except Charlton I had never heard of most of our signings and even those I had like Bogle I know nothing about their qualities. 

Makes this an exciting few weeks as I get to see Bowyer gel them. 

For all I know we could be bottom 3 or top 3 but given they are Gallen/Bowyer signings I am expecting the latter.
  • ross1 said:
    The season starts tomorrow 
    I think we will have to wait a couple of weeks as some of the new players are not match fit, plus they have to gel with the other players
    So a 46 game season has not become a 42 game one but a 40 or even 38 game one. Good job we aren't already playing catch up. 

• Redrobo said:
    MrLargo said:
    Southbank said:
    No proven goalscorer=no promotion
    Got in the play-offs in 96 with Leaburn as top scorer on 9. Prospered in the Premier League pre-Bent without prolific scorers (JJ had one season when he got 14). Parky got us close to the automatic spots with Burton and Mooney up front.

This division is dross. Peterborough, Sunderland, Ipswich, Pompey and Hull are our main rivals and none of them are going to power to the title like we did in 2012. We've got a solid squad, with some strength in depth for the first time in ages. I don't expect us to romp to the title, the salary cap has prevented anyone from spending the money required to do that. I do expect us to be there or thereabouts, and I think the top 6 sides will have lower points totals than previous years due the levelling effect of the salary cap causing more dropped points across the board against weaker sides.
    Lincoln City will be right up there.
    And so will Doncaster. I strongly fancy them to finish in top 6, maybe even in an automatic spot 
    And watching Fleetwood last week I reckon they will be up there too.

So currently thats probably 10 teams that are "decent" and worth a shout for the top 6. Doesn't leave much room for a team playing catch up. 
  • edited October 2020
    Scoham said:
    JamesSeed said:
    dickplumb said:
    I have got a novel idea. Shall we wait and see how the new players do for us?
    Where’s the fun it that?

I’m really underwhelmed with Bogle, Inniss and Smyth...That said they are Charlton players now so will certainly be willing them to do well.
    We are also in league 1 and with a wage cap. Beggars can’t be choosers and all that.
    Tbh the only signing I’ve actually really heard of is Madison (and Gunter maybe). The others have the benefit of the doubt, in the meantime. 
    I’m prepared to be underwhelmed or (over)whelmed, but I’ll hang on for a few months to see which it is. 

Btw it’s Madison, one ‘d’. 
    It's Maddison...

Marcus Harley Maddison. God knows where I got the one ‘d’ from. Probably the track cycling event with the hand sling. Sorry. 

PS Can’t get rid of the bold text for some reason. 

• Well why not play him, he was contracted until the end of the season, same as Doughty.
    Be so far as we're aware; Phillips is the only one to say he didnt want to sign a new deal regardless of what was offered

Doughty hasnt indicated that (he might just be smarter and is keeping quiet) so there is no equal reason to not play him
    I'm pretty sure Doughty rejected a new contract.
    Is that because he didnt like the terms or because he doesn't want to be here though? 
    Sorry don't know the answer to that
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought Bonne's replacement was Bogle or am I getting it confused here?

Macca's success relies on him putting in 100%, chasing down lost causes and putting pressure on the back line. He had no interest in doing that in his last two weeks with us.

But Taylor scored goals
    Bogle hasn't even started with us yet, give him a chance ;)
    Apologies I thought this was a forum where everybody is entitled to an opinion.
    Of course you are right, and now we have both
    done just that, given their opinion :)
  • edited October 2020
    Well why not play him, he was contracted until the end of the season, same as Doughty.
    Be so far as we're aware; Phillips is the only one to say he didnt want to sign a new deal regardless of what was offered

Doughty hasnt indicated that (he might just be smarter and is keeping quiet) so there is no equal reason to not play him
    I'm pretty sure Doughty rejected a new contract.
    Is that because he didnt like the terms or because he doesn't want to be here though? 
    Sorry don't know the answer to that
    If he didn't want to be here, I think it would be a sure bet that Bowyer would have wanted him moved on.  So it's reasonable to assume he wants more money.  Or a birthday cake every year.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Are non league signings still governed by the 5pm window?
    Non-League teams dont have a window so far as I'm aware

So we can send Morgan | Vennings | Davison to the Conference etc. whenever we want for as long a loan spell as we want
    So, can we sign Thomas outside of the window, is it different
    in non league?
    Nope only works one way as our Window closes in eight minutes
    We can sign him when ever we like, he can't play for us until the window reopens though. 
    He can if he's out of contract
    Unless they released him before 5pm yesterday, given what their chairman said I don't think that's likely. 
  • 2121 said:
    I think its quite obvious that alfie can play at a higher level based on his performances last term and his head has been turned. Dont think its anything against the club. 
    Also someone said on here he supports millwall so no reason to stay. 
    I disagree, I think it's quite obvious that Alfie has the potential to play at a higher level.

He only played as many games as he did last season because he was fit and avaliable.  Something you can't say about many of our players then. 

Big 10 weeks for him now, not in terms of his development, in terms of his attitude.  He may for the first time find himself left out of the 1st XI despite being fit and ready to go. 
  • Sorba Thomas no longer follows charlton on twitter so either being professional and not following after his club made things clear yesterday or maybe he's pissed off we didn't offer more for him to land him. Either way he won't be here anytime soon 
  • There is a great opportunity for one of our strikers/winger and attacking midfielders to step up to the plate.

Ronnie Swartz was going to be the striker that transformed our season but it broke down at the last moment.

Despite selling Bonne we couldn't get a direct replacement in that position. (Goal scorer with a 1 in 3 return) 

Money has come into the club with the Grant sell on clause: IF 20% then Duchatelet hadn't totally lost his marbles.
    Phillips wasn't given away and both Oztumer and Lapslie are off the pay roll.

Lots of new players with experience and also players with something still to prove.

A decent window and we should be working on checking out the Striker/goalscorer who will make the difference before the next window in 3 months.

• The season starts tomorrow 
    Unfortunately it doesn't. It started a month ago. If you hadn't noticed we've won 1 out of 4 games & not scored in the last 2. Just hope that the non-prolific strikers that we have just brought in are going to score a hateful of goals.
    Haters gonna hate! 
  • edited October 2020
    Amazing that, as a season ticket holder till the end of last season, Charlton could put out a first eleven today none of whom I have ever seen play for the club in the flesh. Some turnover in a handful of games. 
    Edit. Wrong thread. Oops 
  • Sponsored links:

• Shinnie is a pretty big signing so that fits with the Cawley tweet
    Not complaining about the signing as it sounds like a decent deal but a 31 year old out of favour midfielder on loan from the league above isn't really a 'big singing'
    How well they do for us is the measure of how big signing them was.
  • Surprised Lincoln have had so much change, what’s happened there?
  • Scoham said:
    Surprised Lincoln have had so much change, what’s happened there?
    Me too
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I thought Bonne's replacement was Bogle or am I getting it confused here?

But Taylor scored goals
    Bogels record in league 2 was better than Taylor's.............. 

But twist that one as well. 
    I don't need to twist anything & I certainly don't cream over wiki but if that's ur fantasy cream on.  bogle is a lump & has had 1 season in league two 3/4 years ago when he scored 19 goals & since then his goal scoring record has been laughable. 
  • Scoham said:
    Surprised Lincoln have had so much change, what’s happened there?
    Me too
    They released a boat load of players when the season ended early IIRC
  • Graphic showing Churn/ turn over of players since last season.

Only four teams have had more change and one of them is in administration.

I don't think Sunderland is right, 15 in, 25 out.  Out of a squad of 25?
  • Sorba Thomas no longer follows charlton on twitter so either being professional and not following after his club made things clear yesterday or maybe he's pissed off we didn't offer more for him to land him. Either way he won't be here anytime soon 
    Transfer window opens again in just 11 weeks. Monitor him between now and then and if we think it's worth it, maybe go back in with a higher bid in January. 
  • A surprise signing of the Boreham Wood lad in last 20 mins maybe?
    I bet they've got one hell of an unhappy player on their hands!