Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    A midfield five of Watson, Gilbey, Shinnie, Doughty, Maddison... pretty, pretty, pretty good. 
    I assume you're thinking that they will just pass the ball between them for 90 mins as there will be no-one in front of them to pass to........
    Bogle, Aneke, Washington, Davison

People writing off these forwards with no idea how they'll score without service. 

Any striker without service will struggle. That was a big part of our problem last season.

If the midfield can chip in with goals too we'll do well and be in/around where Bow wants us... 
    I’m assuming they have been without service throughout their careers then. I’m struggling to see how selling Bonne was a good idea.
  • Options
    Check your watch 
    The two that signed today signed this morning and trained with us. 
  • Options
    All these people complaining about who we have up top, I wonder what they said about Yann (who granted wasn't massively prolific and was a great foil for BWP, but was a fantastic footballer anyway)
  • Options
    Exactly. Big difference between when deals happen & when they are announced. Sky will be publishing deals all evening that officially were papered before 5pm but have hit the media hours later.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Who knows how these things work. Bowyer said he's tried to sign Smyth 3 times.

So QPR come in for Bonne and don't offer Smyth as part of the deal, knowing full well Bowyer fancies him?

Odd.

Because Smyth wasn't our first choice.
    He could be great at Cafc but Sorba may well have been the first option ? 

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    Too late for that now!

Only thing we can dip in now is free transfers, of which there is a lot of talent still floating about
    Nah, we have done some great business today. Doughty May have signed as well. Save any money for January in case we need reinforcements. 
  • Options
    We'd all love a 20 goal a season man, but having one is not essential. We got promoted with 73 goals (excluding the play-offs) last time in League 1, which was actually the lowest total in the top 6 despite us having, in Taylor, Grant and Vetokele (albeit two of those not for the entire season) three of the most talented strikers in the division.

The key is we have to get better at getting our midfielders on the score sheet, and I think that will require us to play a bit differently (maybe Bowyer needs to allow a few more shots from range for example). Set pieces could be important for us too, but we now have decent dead ball delivery in the team and a good amount of height, plus we've actually been quite good from set pieces anyway in terms of number of goals scored thanks to Jacko's coaching. It's obviously hypothetical, but I don't think it would be unrealistic to say the goals could be shared around as follows and that would get us to 73 same as in 18/19. Our defence and midfield look very decent so we shouldn't concede a ton, just expect us to be winning more games 2-1 and 2-0 than 3-1 and 4-0, but that has generally been the way under Bowyer. With the departures this week and Phillips potentially being frozen out, there may be a little wriggle room to do something in January as well if the right player were to become available.

Bogle 12
    Washington 10
    Maddison 10
    Doughty 10
    Aneke 8
    Smyth 5
    Shinnie 3
    Gilbey 3
    Pratley 2
    Levitt 1
    Morgan  1
    Williams 1
    Watson 1
    JFC 1
    Innis 2
    Pearce 1
    Famewo 1
    Purrington  1

Those are realistic numbers, as I don't see a prolific goalscorer in the squad. 2 years ago we had better CB options though, Bauer, Sarr and a younger Pearce were all experienced players of Championship quality. Plus we had Bielik who sometimes played there

This year we have Pearce (2 years older), Deji (L1 quality), Famewo (class but inexperienced) and Inniss (unproven)
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    dickplumb said:
    Shinnie is a very good signing for us.

hopefully another striker  - just hoping it’s not Smyth.
    It is Smyth.
    Great. Just what we need, a striker who doesn’t score. 

Please read the following tweet and see if you can come up with an answer 
    We had one, we sold him.
  • Options
    Dillon hasn't officially been sold yet and although its past 5pm....we can still expect him to move based on Cawleys tweet that something has happened.

Sorba could easily do the same.
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    dickplumb said:

It is Smyth.

We had one, we sold him.
    When did we sell a proven League 1 goalscorer?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    So fit to play signings in a formation:

Amos
    Gunter - Inniss - Famewo - Maatsen
    Watson
    Maddison     -         Smyth
    Shinnie
    Bogle - Washington

I could walk past all of these and not recognise any of them. 

Not surprising as none of us have played for us for more than four games apart from Amos. The disappointing aspect and a reflection of the times is that none of that team is homegrown. At least we can sing "not one of our own....."
  • Options
    Who knows how these things work. Bowyer said he's tried to sign Smyth 3 times.

So QPR come in for Bonne and don't offer Smyth as part of the deal, knowing full well Bowyer fancies him?

Odd.

At the time we thought we were getting the Danish bloke?
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    A midfield five of Watson, Gilbey, Shinnie, Doughty, Maddison... pretty, pretty, pretty good. 
    I assume you're thinking that they will just pass the ball between them for 90 mins as there will be no-one in front of them to pass to........
    Bogle, Aneke, Washington, Davison

People writing off these forwards with no idea how they'll score without service. 

Any striker without service will struggle. That was a big part of our problem last season.

If the midfield can chip in with goals too we'll do well and be in/around where Bow wants us... 
    I’m assuming they have been without service throughout their careers then. I’m struggling to see how selling Bonne was a good idea.
    Quite simply because he wasn’t doing the business for us and had made some dreadful mistakes.
    I never rated him to be honest.......that’s not to say he won’t do well at QPR............though I’m 50/50 at best on that one.
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Can see Bogle/Maddison/Washington and possibly Aneke getting into double figures with a few other players chipping in. Think we'll be just fine. 

Rossman92 said:
    dickplumb said:

It is Smyth.

We had one, we sold him.
  • Options
    Theres usually a bit of time if paperwork has been sent before 5 so who knows!
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Can see Bogle/Maddison/Washington and possibly Aneke getting into double figures with a few other players chipping in. Think we'll be just fine. 
    I’ll give £20 to The Upbeats if three of those four score 10 or more league goals if you match it if they don’t. Obviously hope I lose £20.
  • Options
    Maybe Dills can be our 2nd choice right back!

Jokes aside, who will be backup RB without Lapslie and Osh?
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:

Rossman92 said:
    dickplumb said:

It is Smyth.

We had one, we sold him.
    You don’t mean Bonne do you?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Almost certain we won't have got Sorba, trust Cawley when he says that we moved on when they said no. Sadly expect that means they've got an exciting talent on their books now who's head might not be in the right place, unless we find out later one of the other interested clubs came in for him.
  • Options
    So, did Philips get snapped up?
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    dickplumb said:

It is Smyth.

We had one, we sold him.
    How many league 1 goals had he score in his career?  

7, the last of which was 3 years ago :wink:
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    I’ll give £20 to The Upbeats if three of those four score 10 or more league goals if you match it if they don’t. Obviously hope I lose £20.
    Go on then 🤝
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    All these people complaining about who we have up top, I wonder what they said about Yann (who granted wasn't massively prolific and was a great foil for BWP, but was a fantastic footballer anyway)
    We had BWP as the main goalscorer already. Plus Paul Hayes, Euell, Paul Benson and Michael Smith, so it wasn't as if we were weak there before Yann joined.
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Doughty has just posted a picture of himself in a Charlton shirt on his Instagram, so assume he is staying
    Expect him to miss out on the named squad seeing as he won’t sign a new contract. He can keep Dills company.