Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• Options
    dickplumb said:
    Fair play to Boreham Wood. I hope we pay what they are asking for.
    What are they asking for?
    If it's £1M I hope we don't.
  • Options
    Quite surprised by this one but Sheffield Wednesday have signed Jack Marriott on loan from Derby

I know I suggested him on the Striker thread but didnt even see him leaving Derby - Shame he's gone to the cheats
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Clarky said:
    Looks like to me that Phillips has had some bad guidance by his agent. 

There plan seems to have backfired and left Dil in limbo!
    Or maybe he's not as good as a lot of people on here (and his agent) think. 
    Phillips is a very good shot stopper but his kicking severely lets him down. Also not great at commanding his area and punches/flaps a little too much for my liking. Is he better than Amos, possilbly but not enough for him and his agent to be dicking around. 
    I am pretty sure Amos wouldn't have signed if he knew Phillips would be here.  If they are both still here tonight, one of them is going to be royally pissed off and, on balance, that deserves to be Phillips. 
    But then did Amos stay because of the difficulties players are having with finding new clubs thanks to COVID and this salary cap?
    Of course I don't know that but I would imagine Amos has made considerable amounts of money already.  If I remember correctly he was on a silly contract at Bolton. 

Phillips obviously hasn't. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    I said this before but I'll say it again: why such resistance to Smyth? He's young, quick, hasn't found his feet yet, but according to people who know better than us has the ability to break through. He'd supplement our other forwards and we wouldn't necessarily depend on him. I know we only have room for 1 or 2 more players, but given a choice between him and Sorba Thomas, surely the one with league experience is preferable for a promotion push? Or we sign both! :) 
    Because a few articles call him a forward rather than a winger so some look at the stats and decide he’s an inexperienced striker who doesn’t score goals.

There will be a social media meltdown if he signs before the striker is announced.
    I think Smyth will be the Striker... Unless your talking about Thomas here?

Because of the amount of low scoring wingers and strikers around it would be better if we said goal scorers !

And a 15 to 18 goalscorer from now is what we need to be a top 6 contender.
  • Options
    Surely we should come up with a deal with a bit up front, rest based on appearances, future sell on, if he's really that good, then they'll get what they are looking for?
  • Options
    Tangential question: If I get a basic ValleyPass subscription does it give me access to delayed extended highlights for every game? and how soon after the match are the highlights available? (NB: picture of no relevance and simply used to get someone's attention)

FFS no one has answered my questions. 
    Please?

Would ya?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
    “Neither the Gaffer nor myself honestly wish to stand in his way, as he’s worked hard to get to where he presently sits, but everyone already knows that he really is an outstanding talent and you don’t sell the family silver for under the market value."

Everything you say before the word but is bullshit.

You are standing in his way, he's a huge gamble for a league club and there's a risk you're over valuing him.   
    But then are Boreham Wood doing any differently to how we acted with Bonne and QPR?

Thing is the "six figure sum" is a bit misleading, did we offer £100k and they want £250k for him or did we offer the former and they want close to £750k

In which case I would perhaps agree that they're asking too much
    Depends how good he really is, something we can’t tell from a few stats and a highlights video.

Leicester paid £1m for Vardy from the same league 8 years ago. Under £1m is a bargain if he has Championship potential and can make an impact in League 1 this season. I’m sure Boreham Wood think he has at least that sort of potential, and we wouldn’t be interested if we saw League 1 as his limit.

The problem with the National League is that buying players is a risk. On the opposite side to Jamie Vardy, ask Bromley fans how good Josh Rees and Louis Dennis were for them a few years ago. Neither got a kick with Gillingham and Portsmouth respectively after their moves. 

This guy might be the 'family silver' for Boreham Wood but he's akin to a lottery ticket to us. I'm sure he's been well scouted but under £1m certainly isn't a bargain for an unproven gamble at this level.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Tangential question: If I get a basic ValleyPass subscription does it give me access to delayed extended highlights for every game? and how soon after the match are the highlights available? (NB: picture of no relevance and simply used to get someone's attention)
    Please?
     Yes. 

You get the highlights for the £6.50 pm subscription. rarely same day, sometimes a couple of days after. 

Sadly we don't get the old full game video we used to get on CAFCPlayer. 
  • Options

Very scary lips and eyebrows.
    I wouldn't kick her out of bed for farting
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rumour on Twitter that they want over £500,000. 

Could be nonsense but that’s ridiculous if true.
    Why? Ivan Toney, a League 1 player at the time was sold this summer for a deal worth up to £10m.

He’s young, allegedly has a lot of interest and we’ll see him as someone who can develop into a Championship and maybe even Premier League winger.

If he achieves that happens he could be worth several million within a season or two.

Bonne came from the same league and we paid a release fee of £200k, and perhaps Thomas has a lot more potential.
  • Options
    Quite surprised by this one but Sheffield Wednesday have signed Jack Marriott on loan from Derby

I know I suggested him on the Striker thread but didnt even see him leaving Derby - Shame he's gone to the cheats
    Think Derby are after Charlie Austin
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    I said this before but I'll say it again: why such resistance to Smyth? He's young, quick, hasn't found his feet yet, but according to people who know better than us has the ability to break through. He'd supplement our other forwards and we wouldn't necessarily depend on him. I know we only have room for 1 or 2 more players, but given a choice between him and Sorba Thomas, surely the one with league experience is preferable for a promotion push? Or we sign both! :) 
    Because a few articles call him a forward rather than a winger so some look at the stats and decide he’s an inexperienced striker who doesn’t score goals.

There will be a social media meltdown if he signs before the striker is announced.

I’m talking about Smyth.

You sound certain about this.  But I’m just gonna say I’ve seen him play once, Sunderland V Accrington it was 2-2 on sky the season we got promoted and he played up front as a number 9.  He scored and was a menace the entire game.
    A winger who can play up front then? I don’t think he’s the striker we’re after, hopefully I’m right because it would be a huge gamble that Smyth could score regularly as an out and out striker.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Why? Ivan Toney, a League 1 player at the time was sold this summer for a deal worth up to £10m.

He’s young, allegedly has a lot of interest and we’ll see him as someone who can develop into a Championship and maybe even Premier League winger.

If he achieves that happens he could be worth several million within a season or two.

Bonne came from the same league and we paid a release fee of £200k, and perhaps Thomas has a lot more potential.
    Bonne had played at a higher level. He also scored a hatful in the NL, Sorba has yet to do that. 
  • Options
    Does anyone know how much we offered BW for this winger fella?

No.
    The most telling part of the statement:

"the Club can now publicly state, that Charlton have in fact made a bid but their kind offer falls a bit short of the Club’s valuation of the player, which they were made very aware of that before making their offer in writing."

That is not "messing Charlton about" but trying not to be mugged off like Charlton were with Gomez, and the double whammy of Walsh and Elliott to Luton.

If they are only a bit short then this really should get sorted.

Not sure, that top line reaks of sarcasm to me.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Please?

Would ya?
    You don’t look at the mantlepiece when you’re stoking the fire
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:

I’m talking about Smyth.

You sound certain about this.  But I’m just gonna say I’ve seen him play once, Sunderland V Accrington it was 2-2 on sky the season we got promoted and he played up front as a number 9.  He scored and was a menace the entire game.
    A winger who can play up front then? I don’t think he’s the striker we’re after, hopefully I’m right because it would be a huge gamble that Smyth could score regularly as an out and out striker.
    Makes sense cos Bows like the versatility.  Ticks all the boxes attribute wise too very quick and hard working.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
    “Neither the Gaffer nor myself honestly wish to stand in his way, as he’s worked hard to get to where he presently sits, but everyone already knows that he really is an outstanding talent and you don’t sell the family silver for under the market value."

Everything you say before the word but is bullshit.

You are standing in his way, he's a huge gamble for a league club and there's a risk you're over valuing him.   
    But then are Boreham Wood doing any differently to how we acted with Bonne and QPR?

Thing is the "six figure sum" is a bit misleading, did we offer £100k and they want £250k for him or did we offer the former and they want close to £750k

In which case I would perhaps agree that they're asking too much
    Depends how good he really is, something we can’t tell from a few stats and a highlights video.

Leicester paid £1m for Vardy from the same league 8 years ago. Under £1m is a bargain if he has Championship potential and can make an impact in League 1 this season. I’m sure Boreham Wood think he has at least that sort of potential, and we wouldn’t be interested if we saw League 1 as his limit.

The problem with the National League is that buying players is a risk. On the opposite side to Jamie Vardy, ask Bromley fans how good Josh Rees and Louis Dennis were for them a few years ago. Neither got a kick with Gillingham and Portsmouth respectively after their moves. 

This guy might be the 'family silver' for Boreham Wood but he's akin to a lottery ticket to us. I'm sure he's been well scouted but under £1m certainly isn't a bargain for an unproven gamble at this level.
    This is where it comes down to judging each player individually, it depends how we value him, how soon we think he can make an impact etc. He might be worth paying over £500k, he might not. For those saying that’s ridiculous it’s like expecting us to have sold Lookman and Bonne for similar fees. Same league but one had a lot more ability and potential so was sold for a much higher fee.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Hope we haven’t told him not to play and that it’s his agent. Dogshit behaviour.

His agent advised him not to play after the leaked news we were interested. Because of social media or local press we didn't need to get in contact with his agent at that stage.

As i said earlier, that how the football food chain works. 

Sorba's "head has been turned" to borrow Macaulay Bonne's prescient words, and now we will decide quickly whether to up the bid. 

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Scoham said:

Bonne had played at a higher level. He also scored a hatful in the NL, Sorba has yet to do that. 
    He’s a winger, perhaps he’s better technically and quicker than Bonne but needs to work on his end product. Bonne was the opposite, a goalscorer but limited in what he offers outside the box.

If Thomas doesn’t have a relatively low release clause like Bonne then of course they’re going to ask for a lot more.
  • Options
    The players that move out of non league to league clubs is a big risk to the league club.

I think back to one Paul Williams from Woodford Town big risk put in deep end and paid off.

But for one good player at least 10 fall by the wayside.

We need a striker that is proven in this league ,who that is i have no idea.
  • Options
    "After seven years I decided I'd get an agent and I got on the phone to him on a Monday and [long time Charlton assistant manager] Keith Peacock rings me on a Wednesday and says 'do you fancy coming down pre-season and doing a couple of weeks training. So I said, 'Yeah, I don't mind that," 

Kinsella spent three weeks of the 1996-97 pre-season training with Charlton, who he would later go on to captain in a short space of time." I played in two games and scored in both games," said the Dubliner of that pre-season stay." I sat down with Curbs, delighted with everything and he said 'we want to sign you.'" It all seemed to be going in a pretty straight forward fashion, with the particulars of a deal seemingly in place. "By the time I got the two and half hours to back home, it was off," said Kinsella.

"I got a phonecall from Curbs and he said, 'Listen, a deal can't be done. Colchester want all the money [up front]'. It was £150,000. 'Colchester wanted it all and now we can't do it.'

"What happened then was that they had sold Lee Bowyer to Leeds for £2.75 million so then Colchester thought, 'well, you can give us £150,000' and Charlton said they hadn't got it because they were paying debts etc and can only do £25,000 every four months or so. The deal was off and I had to go back to [Colchester], having not trained with the lads for three weeks."

"My agent rang the chairman up at Charlton and said, 'Listen, he's going to sign for Gillingham in the next 20 minutes' and [the chairman] said, 'Forget about it, just drive down the M2 and we'll sign you'.

"That was it. I went to Tony (Pullis then Gillingham Manager) and said, 'Listen, thanks very much, much appreciated'. He wished me all the best. He was grand. I hadn't signed anything."   

And ultimately, moving to Charlton actually meant a salary reduction in comparison to what had been on offer elsewhere.

What the Boreham Wood player got from this story:

Get an agent because, if you do so, you might end up getting your dream move

What LB understood got from this story:

If you can to make sure you replace a player for up to 20 times less than you got from the sale of another and plead poverty in the process. But if someone else comes in for him then pull out all the stops to sign him. If you can persuade him to accept less, by way of a reduced salary than what is on offer elsewhere, even better!

What CAFC fans got from this story:

A bloody good player for a bargain!

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Looks a very tidy player and if 500k is the valuation I think that's fair enough. 

His sort of playstyle and ability will comfortably make the step up imo and players like Sorba have so much sell on value, simply can't teach that kind of pace and footwork

My ideal window from here on out is get Sorba and Smyth, gives us more pace with the strength we already have, sell Phillips to Stoke, keep Doughty, with the Phillips money bring in a proper number 9 and maybe even another midfielder. The perfect window imo for the circumstances
  • Options
    "After seven years I decided I'd get an agent and I got on the phone to him on a Monday and [long time Charlton assistant manager] Keith Peacock rings me on a Wednesday and says 'do you fancy coming down pre-season and doing a couple of weeks training. So I said, 'Yeah, I don't mind that," 

Kinsella spent three weeks of the 1996-97 pre-season training with Charlton, who he would later go on to captain in a short space of time." I played in two games and scored in both games," said the Dubliner of that pre-season stay." I sat down with Curbs, delighted with everything and he said 'we want to sign you.'" It all seemed to be going in a pretty straight forward fashion, with the particulars of a deal seemingly in place. "By the time I got the two and half hours to back home, it was off," said Kinsella.

"I got a phonecall from Curbs and he said, 'Listen, a deal can't be done. Colchester want all the money [up front]'. It was £150,000. 'Colchester wanted it all and now we can't do it.'

"What happened then was that they had sold Lee Bowyer to Leeds for £2.75 million so then Colchester thought, 'well, you can give us £150,000' and Charlton said they hadn't got it because they were paying debts etc and can only do £25,000 every four months or so. The deal was off and I had to go back to [Colchester], having not trained with the lads for three weeks."

"My agent rang the chairman up at Charlton and said, 'Listen, he's going to sign for Gillingham in the next 20 minutes' and [the chairman] said, 'Forget about it, just drive down the M2 and we'll sign you'.

"That was it. I went to Tony (Pullis then Gillingham Manager) and said, 'Listen, thanks very much, much appreciated'. He wished me all the best. He was grand. I hadn't signed anything."   

And ultimately, moving to Charlton actually meant a salary reduction in comparison to what had been on offer elsewhere.

What the Boreham Wood player got from this story:

Get an agent because, if you do so, you might end up getting your dream move

What LB understood got from this story:

If you can to make sure you replace a player for up to 20 times less than you got from the sale of another and plead poverty in the process. But if someone else comes in for him then pull out all the stops to sign him. If you can persuade him to accept less, by way of a reduced salary than what is on offer elsewhere, even better!

What CAFC fans got from this story:

A bloody good player for a bargain!

Didnt Murray pay for Kinsella himself?
  • Options
    Borehamwood have clearly got the arse that a player is refusing to play - rightly so.  I can't see us advising him to do that so you would assume it's coming from his agent trying to force a move.  This will most certainly have got their backs up leading to this missive from their Chairman.

If they are not financially struggling you wonder if they will play hard-ball and hold out for the appropriate bid.  Clearly they are trying to start a bidding war but I can't see that working out.  If they need the money I would think they will blink today and he'll move.

In my head I guessed £100k was the asking price as someone stated "six figures".  That is still a massive punt on someone  from this level.  No doubt they will be bleating on about "Vardy and buying potential" but that's just daft.  He's a freak.  If the actual asking price is £500k then that's mental and will never happen.

Personally I have no idea if he is good enough for us but presumably we have scouted him several times so he must have something about him.