Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• And andy cole tbf 
  • Valley11 said:
    Is there any waffle amongst all these rumours?
    Exactly. Some of you have way too much time on your hands! 
    Summary thread required.
  • Jdredsox said:
    Don't think i've ever been so unimpressed with a signing since we signed non-league Darlington's low scoring fifth choice striker.

Looks okay from best of, but not exactly clinical goal scoring record.

he is a large slow lump, who is good in the air, perhaps technically ok, and rarely scores.

Oh wait that was all about Kermogant before he kicked a ball for us...

I look forward to seeing how the team plays going forward, we are in a far better position than we were a few weeks ago and we are signing players. We aren't going to be getting superstars, but we are getting players that can do a job for us. Good luck Omar, hopefully you will help us get back where we belong.
    Do you remember Josh Parker?  
  • thenewbie said:
    Signings seem to be done under the radar at the moment - Bogle was discussed as a possible but no one knew it was any more than that until it was announced. Famewo was a complete surprise too. 
    Koiki seems fairly likely to sign but the other three or four I expect will happen with little warning or fanfare. A bit frustrating for fans who want to know what the plans are but the most professional and sensible approach in our current situation.
    No news is good news, really.  Leaking targets will only alert our competitors and make landing targets even harder than it is now, which with the salary cap, is very difficult indeed.

This is all quite exciting, as we are pretty much building a team to a masterplan, i.e to play attacking football the way LB wants to play it.  Given that he has largely had to just cobble together a team with whatever players happened to be around in the recent past, I'd imagine that he must be loving the sea change under TS.  I can't wait until we get a fuller picture of LB's 'project promotion' team.

Let's hope that next week contains a few pleasant surprises.
  • Patience required , don't mind if they are the right players for the team 
  • 2121 said:
    Robert Earnshaw could surely still do a job, gotta be better than doing punditry on a Thursday night. Impact sub?
    Ashley cole was decent in the legends charity match as was makelele. Surely we can tempt them? 

What, for our vets team?
  • Do we think Philips will still be here come the end of the window? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    You won’t get much rumours now until we hit probably around Tuesday when you’ll start to see much more movement and agents will start to get a bit more desperate and drop the prices of their demands or drum up interest that hasn’t been as forthcoming as they believed it to be.

People should lower their expectations of the amount of rumours, we are having to work hard to keep things quiet, we have enough barriers as it is without names being thrown about so other clubs are aware of the business or the price increases. 
    But then free agents can join us anytime, so unless we are actually signing a player from another club, it's only loan players who have to join this week
    It depends on what other moves happen 

If for example Begovic leaves Bournemouth or Butland gets a move from Stoke they could create an opening 

• edited October 2020
    Richard J said:
    Do we think Philips will still be here come the end of the window? 

If for example Begovic leaves Bournemouth or Butland gets a move from Stoke they could create an opening 

Cant be many international windows left open though for Begovic

I know Portuguese clubs still have about two weeks to do signings 
    Well, Phillips is not a free agent - he either goes before this week's deadline; or he stays put and has a word with the Gaffer.

Thing is i am not convinced that Bowyer does second choice all that
    well, Phillips had his offer of a contract, and he threw it back in Bows
    face,, not a good idea.
    I think it will be a mexican stand off situation with Phillips blinking first
    and signing a reduced contract at best, but as i said bad choice in him
    and his tosser agent thinking they are better than the really are ;)
  • Richard J said:
    Do we think Philips will still be here come the end of the window? 

I know you’re not saying someone should but why would anyone go for Butland? He was so overrated when he was good. He hasn’t been that for a number of years.
  • Sage said:
    You won’t get much rumours now until we hit probably around Tuesday when you’ll start to see much more movement and agents will start to get a bit more desperate and drop the prices of their demands or drum up interest that hasn’t been as forthcoming as they believed it to be.

People should lower their expectations of the amount of rumours, we are having to work hard to keep things quiet, we have enough barriers as it is without names being thrown about so other clubs are aware of the business or the price increases. 
    But then free agents can join us anytime, so unless we are actually signing a player from another club, it's only loan players who have to join this week
    True, but players and clubs are going to want to get their futures and squads sorted as soon as possible. It’s pressing for everyone, and if we sign free agents after the window, we’re likely to have to wait a little while longer before they’re even up to speed.
  • Sage said:

We’ve still got another three players to come in on loan. Finding a goal scorer will be a huge challenge as no one will give one away. Have to hope one of the premier league clubs will give us a chance with an academy striker.

Especially, loan deals usually happen on final day as clubs in the higher division need to make sure they have enough bodies in their squad before they let them go on loan. 
  • Nice post @Grapevine49. Sadly it does seem that about 20/30pc of our fan base need a reality check as they have not been bothered to read about the rules and regulations of the league we are currently in. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I've decided to self torture myself and look at the results from the final game of the Championship. Luton coming back to win and Barnsley winning in the 91st minute. It looks like we were hard done by looking at the table now, but going into that final game, we knew that we had dropped so many points that it was a tough ask. 
  • edited October 2020
    mendonca said:
    I've decided to self torture myself and look at the results from the final game of the Championship. Luton coming back to win and Barnsley winning in the 91st minute. It looks like we were hard done by looking at the table now, but going into that final game, we knew that we had dropped so many points that it was a tough ask. 
    That Luton game: losing 1-0 and then having not 1, but 2 own goals scored for them!

And to cap it they were awarded a non-penalty when their attacker dropped himself to the ground as if he'd been shot - before the defender could even make a challenge. 

On top of that, their penalty taker slipped as he took the spot kick and totally miskicked - and hit the inside roof of the net, just under the bar.
    The ball could have gone anywhere. So many unlikely things all went right for lucky old Luton that day. 

• edited October 2020
    There were hundreds of missed chances, poor refereeing decisions, unlucky bounces of the ball, misplaced passes, defensive errors, EFL hearings etc etc. any one of which, given how narrowly we were relegated, had potential to change the course of our season. Ridiculous to try and pin it all on any single player or moment. You win as a team and lose as a team.

If you believe in the Many Worlds theory of quantum mechanics, somewhere there’s a universe where every decision and chance went our way and we won the championship with a record points haul. 
  • One player I am surprised is playing in League 2 is James Wilson. He scored 2 on his debut for Man United in the Premier League when aged just 18 with 20 appearances for them in total and has since played for Brighton, Derby, Sheffield United and  Aberdeen.

I suppose that the United connection and the fact that they are paying over the top is the reason that he is playing at that level for Salford but he is better than that surely?
  • One player I am surprised is playing in League 2 is James Wilson. He scored 2 on his debut for Man United in the Premier League when aged just 18 with 20 appearances for them in total and has since played for Brighton, Derby, Sheffield United and  Aberdeen.

I suppose that the United connection and the fact that they are paying over the top is the reason that he is playing at that level for Salford but he is better than that surely?
    He signed a 2 year contract for Aberdeen a year ago, before just a few months later signing an 18 month contract at Salford.

Something didn't work out for him at Aberdeen. Or just homesick for Manchester?

PS: For the CL height stats people, he just creeps in under the radar: 6' 0". Qualifies.

• Wilson scored for Salford today in the 20th min.
    When did they sign him?

Would love to know how they managed that on the League Two salary cap as bet that's lower than League One!!
    When did they sign him?

Would love to know how they managed that on the League Two salary cap as bet that's lower than League One!!
    Last January. !8 month contract.

He would have an existing contract before the wage cap.

Salford could be paying him whatever he asked for.