Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• edited October 2020
    Leuth said:
    "Sorry Alex but now you're fit again there's no place in the team for you, because we signed a large box to box midfielder instead of another striker"
    How many strikers do you want, my post already said we should sign two more.  I think you are being unrealistic if you think we are getting 3!

Oh and how about " Sorry Tommy, we finished 7th because we were playing a bunch of midgets in midfield whilst we waited for Alex to get back to fitness, and then he had a set back".
  • MattF said:
    High Court endorsed Football League World have come up with a few names they suggest we could sign

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/3-free-agents-still-available-that-charlton-athletic-could-sign-to-bolster-their-squad/

Who do they suggest my browser won't open their website as it thinks it is dodgy.
  • It's the Charlton way.  Ecstacy and start your bonner time, followed by angst, doubt, in fighting then navel gazing.

We can be sure that all concerned are feverishly trying to get things moving but are hamstrung by circumstance yet again.  Should we be developing a deep seated persecution complex i wonder?
  • cfgs said:
    MattF said:
    High Court endorsed Football League World have come up with a few names they suggest we could sign

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/3-free-agents-still-available-that-charlton-athletic-could-sign-to-bolster-their-squad/

Who do they suggest my browser won't open their website as it thinks it is dodgy.
    Will Keane, Sam Hart and Ryan Shotton
  • MattF said:
    cfgs said:
    MattF said:

Will Keane, Sam Hart and Ryan Shotton
    Oh ok cheers, bit more well known than other sites have suggested.

•  I don't  think Marquis would touch Charlton anyway.
    Care to explain?
    He has gone on record as not liking us and he is ex Millwall.  Plus the rhythm sung to him in the playoffs. Roses are red, Taylor up front,  we a think Marquis is..

I saw Marquis play four times against us two seasons ago. in each game he worked his socks off and caused us problems.

Both @SoundAsa£ and myself spoke to him for sometime after the league game at the Keepmoat (after he'd been awarded the MoM trophy). He's a London lad and said sometimes he needed a translator in Yorkshire.

Guarantee if Bowyer wanted him and if the deal was right, he'd sign for us.

• Sponsored links:

• With regards to what Sage as said about Matthews, I believe that’s exactly what Matthews has done and why we haven’t announced Gunter. 

Gut feeling, Matthews will sign and Gunter won’t. 
  • "Sorry Alex, I know you're just back from a long injury but I need you to play every minute of every game because in football you can only play one CM at time, which is why we never brought another in of similar proven quality. Pratley's currently CB number 3,  35 year old Watson is knackered after playing every minute of every game as the only CM while you were out and needs a rest, Morgan still can't track back the silly little sod so I'm not starting him, Levitt and Vennings have injured themselves shaving for the first time.  What do you mean Williams?!?!? You got a concussion as well son?? What sort of midfielder doesn't know how to fcking shoot!?! JFC? Who's that? Oh... Yeah, no" 

Leuth's wrath in 5,4,3.....
  • edited October 2020
    With regards to what Sage as said about Matthews, I believe that’s exactly what Matthews has done and why we haven’t announced Gunter. 

Gut feeling, Matthews will sign and Gunter won’t. 
    Could also be why Koiki played for the U23s the other day

Gunter signs and apart from a Centre-Back thats it for our Defence as we do have "cover" for both RB and LB as well as Gunter able to play both sides

If Matthews signs then we sign Koiki
  • What people think four more signings?.
  • I heard Gallen made contact with a couple of Premier league clubs this morning.
    He asked permission to speak to a couple of players.
    They said they would consider his approach and get back to him.

Gallen said that's not good enough, some of our fans demand you tell your players to get in their cars right now and drive 200 miles to New Eltham SE9.

Tell them they have to sign for us immediately for reduced wages, so we can get the medical and photo shoots done by 4pm.

Some of our fans demand we make an announcement today, I'm sure you and they understand.

You'll have to pay nearly all of their wages because of the salary cap and the players can contact their families tonight from their hotel, advising that they will try and get to see them in due course, hopefully before June 2021.

They told Gallen to £$%& off.
    Were they the totally "unheard of" premier league players that people have been emailing Gallen about? 
  • Worth noting that Man Utd, one of the richest clubs in the world with absolutely no wage cap to think about made five signings this transfer window, and only one of them wasn't on deadline day. They waited until the very end to do their business because that's when things become clearer, as they always have. For years. Deadline day will be a day where things happen. Last season we signed Kayal, Field, Leko and sort of Hemed on deadline day, because it was at that point their clubs had finalised their squads and were willing to let them go. Transfers are complex with this cap and we'll likely be taking it right to the wire while keeping our targets out of the press until they happen. I want more signings too, but calm down, there's loads of time yet and the most happens at the end
     Don't think I'd be using Man utd as the modern day blue print for making transfers.
    Just as well I didn't. The point I was making is that they have a lot of money and no cap to get around, but still waited until the very end because that's when the availability of players becomes clear. Similarly Arsenal waited until a couple of hours before the deadline to spend £45m on their marquee signing because they wanted to see if anything would change right before the end. It happens every window
  • Thanks Oggy it's so good to read sensible posts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:

No one has also promised anything. They’ve said many times we will bring players in and we just have to make sure we are bringing in the right ones because of the restrictions they’re now working under. We have 9 days left of the window, and yes we need 6 players, but much of the transfer business will happen in the last 5-7 days. Have a look around, hardly anyone are making signings at the moment. That’ll pick up soon.

To be fair on that one point, the other clubs in L1 don't NEED to much business as they've done 95% of it already. To use an extreme example Sunderland have signed 15 players already this window

We are unique in having been in an embargo, thus we are desperately catching up the other teams
  • I've heard Da Do Do Da Da Dodoo is having a medical as we speak.
    Is he the guy we had from Rangers a few years ago?
    Yes, very excited about this signing, a statement of intent!
  • I've heard Da Do Do Da Da Dodoo is having a medical as we speak.
    Is he the guy we had from Rangers a few years ago?
    Yes, very excited about this signing, a statement of intent!
    Thankfully he already plays out in Turkey now
  • Oggy Red said:
    It was RedHenry, who in good faith passed on what he'd been told, that 6 or 7 players were likely to sign.

Lee Bowyer actually said, a few days before the takeover about his frustration - and that he had  "3, 4 or maybe even 5"  lined up once the embargo was lifted.

Well the takeover happened, and in his interview "I'm over the moon interview" reported on the OS, "The embargo has been lifted," Bowyer confirmed.

"We can move straight away to get people signed for the weekend. We play Lincoln on Sunday, and that’s done us a favour because we’ve got an extra 24 hours to get people into the squad. [We're expecting] Minimum two, hopefully three".

And 2 did sign, Watson and Famewo ....... it seems the other was supposed to be Adam Matthews, but evidently the deal couldn't be brought over the line - whether it was the player deciding he still wanted to hold out for Championship football/wages or Bowyer ran out of patience and moved on to new targets.

We know now that Rocket Ronnie Schwarz was no doubt a fourth, and that eventually everybody expected him to sign until he changed his mind at the last minute.

Maddison was actually signed less than 24 hours after the first whispers hit the internet.

There's also the Burnley left back who was on trial here in September and played for the U23s yesterday; perhaps it's just hanging on the clubs haggling over the Development fee? The lad seems to be herealready.

Finally Chris Gunter sha-la-la-la,  who's reportedly been at The Valley and is set to sign/already signed (you choose what you believe) last Friday/Monday and now with the Wales squad.

I don't know why people are impatient with Bowyer and signings; from what I've read he's had a couple of knockbacks but 3 of those "3, 4 or maybe even 5"  lined up have already signed and made a league appearance. And there's obviously much activity going on behind the scenes.

Personally, I'd let Bowyer & Gallen carry on with the recruitment and see what happens in the next week or so, rather than agitating that everything should have been done by yesterday.

#apologiestograpevine49

Evidence and objectivity have no place on a thread like this Oggs.
  • What people think four more signings?.
    No, at least 20, any less will be failure and Sandgaard will be vilified as Mouthall Mk 2.
  • Oggy Red said:
    It was RedHenry, who in good faith passed on what he'd been told, that 6 or 7 players were likely to sign.

Lee Bowyer actually said, a few days before the takeover about his frustration - and that he had  "3, 4 or maybe even 5"  lined up once the embargo was lifted.

Well the takeover happened, and in his interview "I'm over the moon interview" reported on the OS, "The embargo has been lifted," Bowyer confirmed.

"We can move straight away to get people signed for the weekend. We play Lincoln on Sunday, and that’s done us a favour because we’ve got an extra 24 hours to get people into the squad. [We're expecting] Minimum two, hopefully three".

And 2 did sign, Watson and Famewo ....... it seems the other was supposed to be Adam Matthews, but evidently the deal couldn't be brought over the line - whether it was the player deciding he still wanted to hold out for Championship football/wages or Bowyer ran out of patience and moved on to new targets.

We know now that Rocket Ronnie Schwarz was no doubt a fourth, and that eventually everybody expected him to sign until he changed his mind at the last minute.

Maddison was actually signed less than 24 hours after the first whispers hit the internet.

There's also the Burnley left back who was on trial here in September and played for the U23s yesterday; perhaps it's just hanging on the clubs haggling over the Development fee? The lad seems to be herealready.

Finally Chris Gunter sha-la-la-la,  who's reportedly been at The Valley and is set to sign/already signed (you choose what you believe) last Friday/Monday and now with the Wales squad.

I don't know why people are impatient with Bowyer and signings; from what I've read he's had a couple of knockbacks but 3 of those "3, 4 or maybe even 5"  lined up have already signed and made a league appearance. And there's obviously much activity going on behind the scenes.

Personally, I'd let Bowyer & Gallen carry on with the recruitment and see what happens in the next week or so, rather than agitating that everything should have been done by yesterday.

#apologiestograpevine49

In other words #BowyerOut
  • edited October 2020
    I think @golfaddick just enjoys the pantomime banter.

If you read the Savings & Investment thread, he's one of the most balanced, encouraging, level-headed and well reasoned member. 

On a topical note. The EFL should have abolished the transfer deadline for teams that operate in a Salary Capped League. That would still encourage freedom of trade and movement. They have got themselves into a situation whereby players are holding out for a Championship contract, in hope rather than any form of certainty. But we have come to expect straight line thinking. 
  • edited October 2020
  • edited October 2020
    Leuth said:
    "Sorry Alex but now you're fit again there's no place in the team for you, because we signed a large box to box midfielder instead of another striker"
    How many strikers do you want, my post already said we should sign two more.  I think you are being unrealistic if you think we are getting 3!

Oh and how about " Sorry Tommy, we finished 7th because we were playing a bunch of midgets in midfield whilst we waited for Alex to get back to fitness, and then he had a set back".
    We probably only have the wages for 3 more senior squad members, as people have been calculating. Unless someone takes one of our contracted players off our hands - and it'd require a heart of fucking ice to transfer list Lapslie, JFC or Oztumer (there'd be no guarantee they'd be sold, and Oztumer still has something to offer IMO, and unless Koiki turns out to be mustard then JFC is reserve LB) - then those wages need to go on strikers and a right-back as a matter of absolute urgency. 'Bunch of midgets' is absurdly dismissive. And we didn't sign Watson, Levitt and Maddison for no reason.