Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• Is the salary cap consistent across the whole league? Usually I'd say playing in London is a big swing for some players but 2k a week in Sunderland per se goes a lot further than in London - hence why a lot of companies and the government have extras for London. I know in the past players like Lyle have turned down higher wages to join us but with 2k being quite a low cap (in the grand schemes of football) I wouldn't be surprised if this annoying cap is hurting us even more than other clubs
  • The cap isn’t £2K a week, it’s  a total of £2.5M (inclusive of bonuses and fees) and we’re likely some ways under it. For the right player we could pay a bit more than average, but it would give us less to play with for the other signings that we need to make. 
  • follett said:
    Is the salary cap consistent across the whole league? Usually I'd say playing in London is a big swing for some players but 2k a week in Sunderland per se goes a lot further than in London - hence why a lot of companies and the government have extras for London. I know in the past players like Lyle have turned down higher wages to join us but with 2k being quite a low cap (in the grand schemes of football) I wouldn't be surprised if this annoying cap is hurting us even more than other clubs
    The salary cap wont be a level playing field until the current contacts have run out across all of the players in all of the League 1 clubs. 

If you had a players signed before the cut off you were laughing. In a couple of years all of the teams will be in the same position as we are now, and i would imagine that players expectations would be slightly different than they are at  the moment , as there wont be much of a choice. 

If I was a player now in league 1 or without a club  I would be looking for the team that can get me into the championship asap, but i think that agents dont think the same way and would be looking for more money now rather than the "long game".

I wonder whether sponsors who are involved in the could supplement wages ?  Say a player gets paid a certain amount for attending a number of corporate events or TV adverts in a year as a completely separate contract to the one with the club ? 

• Emailing Gallen, i’ve heard it all!
    This is the fanbase that sent flowers to Katrien. We're an odd bunch.
  • edited October 2020
    follett said:
    Is the salary cap consistent across the whole league? Usually I'd say playing in London is a big swing for some players but 2k a week in Sunderland per se goes a lot further than in London - hence why a lot of companies and the government have extras for London. I know in the past players like Lyle have turned down higher wages to join us but with 2k being quite a low cap (in the grand schemes of football) I wouldn't be surprised if this annoying cap is hurting us even more than other clubs
    The salary cap wont be a level playing field until the current contacts have run out across all of the players in all of the League 1 clubs. 

If you had a players signed before the cut off you were laughing. In a couple of years all of the teams will be in the same position as we are now, and i would imagine that players expectations would be slightly different than they are at  the moment , as there wont be much of a choice. 

If I was a player now in league 1 or without a club  I would be looking for the team that can get me into the championship asap, but i think that agents dont think the same way and would be looking for more money now rather than the "long game".

I wonder whether sponsors who are involved in the could supplement wages ?  Say a player gets paid a certain amount for attending a number of corporate events or TV adverts in a year as a completely separate contract to the one with the club ? 

Am I then right in assuming - when it is a level playing field within league one - there could theoretically be instances where relegated championship clubs have players on the entire league salary cap and it wouldn't matter (as they'd only need to adjust new signings)- like when Sunderland came down with Rodwell and Oviedo on nearly 50k each alone

•  I don't  think Marquis would touch Charlton anyway.
    Care to explain?

Care to explain?
    Im guessing having some chav screaming abuse at him and calling him a c*nt after the play off game before posting it on social won’t put us at the front of the queue 
  • Sponsored links:

Care to explain?
    Im guessing having some chav screaming abuse at him and calling him a c*nt after the play off game before posting it on social won’t put us at the front of the queue 
    That wouldn’t stop him signing for us if the deal suited him.....I can assure you.
  • Croydon said:
    Emailing Gallen, i’ve heard it all!
    This is the fanbase that sent flowers to Katrien. We're an odd bunch.
    I know, thankfully become a bit less soft last few years
  • follett said:
    follett said:

Am I then right in assuming - when it is a level playing field within league one - there could theoretically be instances where relegated championship clubs have players on the entire league salary cap and it wouldn't matter (as they'd only need to adjust new signings)- like when Sunderland came down with Rodwell and Oviedo on nearly 50k each alone
    True - I believe that they would be on the average salary. Although you would imagine that they would have fairly hefty relegation clauses in their contracts, which may encourage them to jump ship straight back into the championship if they are good enough , or the club will sell them to reduce running costs. 

• Or could also be a good signing for us ? Under 21 no salary cap problems .....
  • And I can't forget the dynamic front foot manager Bowyer was before all this ESI crap. We now have a new owner and I expect that manager to return. I would like it to happen sooner rather than later, but i still have faith. It is just that it isn't blind faith!  
    Dazzler21 said:

And yes, I think 7th in this league is failure.
    Nobody is saying it isn’t, what people are questioning is the laughable suggestion that Bowyer should be sacked if we finish 7th. 
    Only Sandgaard knows if Bow will keep his job if we're not performing. He specifically said he wanted exciting football.
    Gee, it’s almost as if he’s had his squad decimated season after season with no way to sign the replacements he wants to play exciting football. 

I know football fans are fickle but fucking hell
    Right... I'll point you back to the bit now bold. I wasn't calling out Bowyer I was responding that ONLY Sandgaard knows if he'll keep Bowyer should we continue to underperform this season. 
  • Just sent Gallen an email to point him in the direction of Marquis wiki page and tell him he is a striker at Pompey who may or may not do well for us.
    I’ve just done better than that, I’ve just emailed gallen introducing him to ackworth
  • MattF said:
    Do BBC Sport know something that we don't or have they fallen into the done deal trap

No Matthews either, so Gunter is miles better fact! 

Unless we sign AM instead then ignore above
  • cfgs said:
    MattF said:
    Do BBC Sport know something that we don't or have they fallen into the done deal trap

@Dazzler21 will have to put them on the list.
    This is definitely list worthy. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Just sent Gallen an email to point him in the direction of Marquis wiki page and tell him he is a striker at Pompey who may or may not do well for us.
    I’ve just done better than that, I’ve just emailed gallen introducing him to ackworth
    Nope not cool, that's definitely gone too far.  If Gallen now goes and gets himself another job, it's on you TRH.  tsk tsk 😒
  • follett said:
    follett said:

Yup. 

I think the effect will be that it will just drive down wages in league 1.  It is already causing a more level playing field, unless you believe that there are a significant number of players currently in league 1 who wouldn't be if the salary cap was introduced earlier. 

• I haven't read everything on this thread. But I think I read we were prepared to pay 2.5 million for Schwartz.
    If true that is pretty astonishing in itself.
  • seth plum said:
    I haven't read everything on this thread. But I think I read we were prepared to pay 2.5 million for Schwartz.
    If true that is pretty astonishing in itself.

I think that might have been Danish Krone!