Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• Alternatively, if we do really have the money, we could blatently break the rules, pay what we like, betting on going straight up and take the punishment.

After all, I would be happy starting on minus 12 in the Championship like the mob that cheated us.
    @jimmymelrose shouldn't you first discuss this proposal with a financial advisor, if you know one? :smile:

• LB "Welcome to the Mildfielders Guild young man.  Now Williams, jump up on Otzumers shoulders and shake hands with Dave..."
    Is that for the meek among us ?
    Dammit,  flat fingers!
    HaHa flat fingers or fat ? This could go on all night :smiley:
  • edited October 2020
    I've heard Da Do Do Da Da Dodoo is having a medical as we speak.
    Is he the guy we had from Rangers a few years ago?
    Yes, very excited about this signing, a statement of intent!
    Thankfully he already plays out in Turkey now
    They've ripped up his contract and paid us to take him.

Win Win.
  • I'm sure that there must be a way around this bloody wage cap problem.

For example:

Ask the selling club to pay the player a 'farewell bonus' and then buy something irrelevant like a car from said club for the same amount.

Buy a house for the player to live in for free with the agreement that he gets the house for free at the end of the contract.

Allow players to claim extortionate expenses on away days.

Buy free holidays for players.

I realise that my ideas may not be legally possible but surely there must be a loophole somewhere.
    If we've got the money and we want the player then pay a legal team to sort it out.
    Sounds like you have a financial advisor in your family 👨‍👩‍👦
  • edited October 2020
    Apologies if been asked already and I can't find an answer myself.

If we get a player on loan and the club loaning the player agrees to pay x amount of his wage, is that amount still included in the salary cap? Or would just the amount that Charlton pay for the wage be counted in the cap? 
  • Going off at a complete tangent I have no idea how the hell the EFL are going to enforce the wage cap.

If you run an off pay roll tax evasion scheme you will get caught by HMRC.  Eventually.  From the year you get caught, and you could have been doing it for years, you could probably drag the appeals process out for 5 years that's before you even went to the supreme court.

If you run an avoidance scheme it may result in a retrospective change in the law and drag out even longer. 

That's with an army of investigators, case workers, forensic accountants, lawyers, policy advisors and the rest. 

How are the EFL going to verify the income of its 3000 odd players?  I assume unlike HMRC the EFL can't issue schedule 36 notices and demand information relating to bank accounts, credit cards etc?

I assume the department at the EFL responsible for it is about 5 people, if that? 
  • siblers said:

If we get a player on loan and the club loaning the player agrees to pay x amount of his wage, is that amount still included in the salary cap? Or would just the amount that Charlton pay for the wage be counted in the cap? 
    I believe it is the share of the wage covered by the club taking on the loan player.

Besides various dubious-looking schemes which aren't far removed from dodging FFP regulations the most obvious workarounds for clubs who have cash to pay out on transfers seem to be:

1. Signing players who are under the age threshold and are good enough to form part of the first team squad (which is almost certainly a good transfer policy given resale profit potential in any case).
    2. Signing loan players for a loan fee which is then effectively used to offset the salary cost for the loan period to reduce the salary payable by the host club to as little as possible.
  • Not been able to check this thread all day. Really surprised that’s there is still not one name being rumoured 
  • Not been able to check this thread all day. Really surprised that’s there is still not one name being rumoured 
    We've all been sworn to secrecy, Shooters. Club policy.

Even the ITK.

• Sponsored links:

That's not quite right.

What about Danny Rowe? He's been rumoured.
  • Well, he has now😉
    That's not quite right.

What about Danny Rowe? He's been rumoured.
    The Danny Rowe ? 
  • 2121 said:
    Not been able to check this thread all day. Really surprised that’s there is still not one name being rumoured 
    Jonny has only just gone into wales camp. Give him time to recruit. Give him a chance 
    He'll bring back Churchinho
  • Fits the Naby Sarr chant. Sign him up 
  • There's another Danny Rowe, currently at Oldham, who was prolific at non-league level.  He scored 50 goals for AFC Fylde in the 2016/17 season in the National League North and over 30 goals in each of the next two seasons in the National League.  Transferred to Oldham in January this year and scored 3 goals in 10 games for them before lockdown ended the season.  His goal scoring ability while at Fylde is legendary and it's a mystery to me why no league side snapped him up before Oldham.
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    Joe Gelhardt at Leeds, 18 year old striker, signed a 4 year contract this summer but not in current plans so perfect for a loan.
    Was at Wigan last year and played in a fair few Championship matches (albeit just a handful of minutes each week usually).
    Called up to England u19s this week. He has been involved with the younger age groups for the past 3/4 years, including captaining the u18s.

Wigan fan I was talking to today believes he has what it takes to be a Premier League starter in a couple of years.
    They would love him back for the season.
    Apparently Leeds were ideally looking to send him out to a Championship club but haven’t had any takers yet.

This Wigan fan believes a number of League One clubs have shown interest.
    No idea if we were one of those clubs but thought I’d post it anyway.
    There’s been a few good suggestions on this thread, such as this guy, and Everton’s Ellis. I’m pretty sure Gallen would be aware of every name that pops up on here, as they must pour over the squad lists, but does anyone on here ever email suggestions to him, just in case? 
    Coveredendjunior (when he was junior in the summer of 2011) sat down with Chris Powell with a list of players.
    Powell bless him, went through all the 20 odd names and gave a reasoned opinion on all of them.
    I think it fair to say he knew of all of them and some in great detail. 

Lovely to hear that.
    Both Chris Powell and covered end Junior have gone up even higher in my estimation.

With data bases now, and the amount of Full/part time scouts, ex players and Agents at Academy matches it's difficult for players to go unnoticed regarding the 1st team.

Steve Avery would be interested in some of the talented youngsters who were in Academies from 6 years old (not under contract !) but were released and drift into playing with their mates.
    Lookman for Waterloo in the giant Tandridge League, is one example of disappearing off the radar for a short period after being released.
    Nick Pope who after being released from Ipswich played for Bury in Suffolk. 

Before COVID-19 came along, there were more scouts than parents at Charlton academy games.
    Bit off topic, but I Met an Arsenal Scout many years ago when my son was playing in the Tandridge league....pretty high standard of junior football. Bradley Wright Philips was playing for Downham, I think, against my Boy.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    I have a feeling there might be a signing or two today, haven’t been given any names.. but assume one is Gunter
    A feeling or been given a tip off?
  • siblers said:

wondered that too....sensible question :)
  • TEL said:
    siblers said:

I’d imagine it’s just the amount we are paying as otherwise we can forget loaning any PL players and maybe even Championship ones.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    I have a feeling there might be a signing or two today, haven’t been given any names.. but assume one is Gunter
    Typical we actually have a sniff of a rumour and this thread suddenly becomes quiet.
  • TEL said:
    siblers said:

i have found this - so it must work the other way as well 

Payments directly linked to a Club’s progression in cup competitions or promotion are excluded from the Cap, while any income generated from players going out on loan is deducted from the Club’s Salary Cap calculation
  • TEL said:
    siblers said:

I’d imagine it’s just the amount we are paying as otherwise we can forget loaning any PL players and maybe even Championship ones.
    I agree, but would assume that the cost must be the fee plus the wages paid. A transfer fee is not capped but I cannot imagine that such an obvious gap in the cap would have been left open.
  • TEL said:
    siblers said:

i have found this - so it must work the other way as well 

Payments directly linked to a Club’s progression in cup competitions or promotion are excluded from the Cap, while any income generated from players going out on loan is deducted from the Club’s Salary Cap calculation

"Congrats on beating Brighton u23's on Penalties here is half a million quid and it's doubled if we go up"

That's surely the way to attract players on bigger wages at present?