Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• My statement is not saying to sack him now. I have said I don't want Bowyer sacked and have said I expect him to get the signings right. I have merely pointed out some things I think he has got wrong recently and potentially has got wrong now. And I am saying that he shouldn't have a free pass. I am expecting him to step up, but am not so far up his backside that I can't see the possibility of him not doing so and indeed don't think he should have a free pass to fail.

I was pretty amazed when he started Vennings on Saturday. Morgan was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch against Brighton. Why play Vennings above him? Could he have not got another ten or twenty minutes more out of Aneke who I was shouting at the screen for? Who are we lining up to replace Bonne? He is a Championship standard striker. It feels to me Bowyer has it in him, but like Soapbox, it is feeling like all the turmoil may have made him lose his mojo. he needs to get it back if that is the case.
    We know you’re not saying sack him now - but just to get this straight, if Bowyer finishes 7th this season, he’s failed and he should be sacked? I hope not because that’s a very silly view. 

Bowyer has already said in public Vennings started because he stood out in training and Morgan was shattered from Brighton - apparently that’s the most he’s ran in a single match. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    He has time to sort it out. He has just sold a Championship quality striker, and has a midfield full of Championship quality. He has enough time to sort it out and if I was a betting man, I will bet he will.

But if he doesn't I would look at the negative tactics after winning our first two post lockdown games and the tepid way he has set up so far this season. I appreciate there are circumstances to factor in. He needs to sort this out and like I said, I don't want to hear him moaning why we couldn't replace Bonne. 

We all want to see some positive business in this window and whilst it won't be easy, we don't want a manager who can do it when it was easy. It wasn't easy when he first got the job, but I suspect the minute he started to care if he had the job or not, we saw negative traits. I want to see the front foot manager will balls that set out to win games that Bowyer was when he first got his opportunity.

We all want to see positive signings and front foot football, but we have no idea what might happen this season, Doughty could break both his legs during the international break. 

Why make stupid statements about sacking Bowyer if we don’t make top six during a season of transition? Bowyer could win the league the season after? 

Let’s not forget all the other clubs haven’t had the wage cap and have been building promotion winning squads over the course of 3-4 seasons. We’ve lost the majority of the squad and need to replace with this stupid cap.

I ask again, who do you think would do a better job? 
    Who has been building promotion winning squads for 3 or 4 seasons?  
    Pretty much anyone who you expect to be in and around the top 6. 

Peterborough, Sunderland, Doncaster, Fleetwood, Blackpool, Portsmouth etc. They’ve all added to their squads and strengthened in the areas needed. 

That’s not including Ipswich, Hull, us, and anyone else who may have a good season. It’s why it’s so stupid to say we should sack Bowyer if he doesn’t get top 6 this season. 
    Have you seen Sunderland's transfers this summer?  Their squad is unrecognisable from 4 months ago, let alone 4 years ago.

The churn of players at this level, every year, is unbelievable.

Edit: Of course it would be bloody stupid to sack Bowyer any time in the next 18 months.  What ever happens. 
    Okay, take Sunderland out of it - although they’re undoubtedly building a Parkinson style squad despite player retention. That’s just arguing semantics. 

A blind man could see the other teams have been slowly building up their squads before the cap. Particularly Peterborough and Blackpool. 
    Before the cap, isn't 4 years is it?  Which is what I took issue with.  Sunderland were in the premier league 4 years ago😜
  • What about Jack Clarke, Spurs winger/forward who they signed from Leeds. Only played 6 games at QPR so I'm not sure a load of Champ clubs will be interested and move to League 1 might do him good. 
    I like him but I think someone like Wycombe or Coventry will take a punt on him before we get a look in. 
  • edited October 2020
    I am not saying we shouldn't have sold Bonne. But given the salary cap issue and our lack of strikers we should have told QPR that we will need to replace him before we sell him. I am confident Sandgaard wouldn't have disagreed with this approach. Duchatelet would but the way we have gone about this makes no sense. We are also indicating to potential selling clubs we have money from the sale. It makes no football sense. But if we have somebody who may not be better but fits us better lined up, I take it back.

And yes, I think 7th in this league is failure.
  • Sage said:
    What about Jack Clarke, Spurs winger/forward who they signed from Leeds. Only played 6 games at QPR so I'm not sure a load of Champ clubs will be interested and move to League 1 might do him good. 
    Agree with this, he needs a move to a League One club to reignite his career a little bit.

Leeds got the deal of the century selling him for £9mil with a sell on. He went back on loan at Leeds and didn’t play, went to QPR and didn’t get a look in. He only got the move as he burst onto the scene and done well. Someone like Bow is probably exactly what he needs.

He would have to play out wide though, by no means is he a forward.
    Young academy player who had an ineffective loan spell at QPR

That sounds a bit too much like Matt Smith to me!
  • edited October 2020
    I am not saying we shouldn't have sold Bonne. But given the salary cap issue and our lack of strikers we should have told QPR that we will need to replace him before we sell him. I am confident Sandgaard wouldn't have disagreed with this approach. Duchatelet would but the way we have gone about this makes no sense. We are also indicating to potential selling clubs we have money from the sale. It makes no football sense. But if we have somebody who may not be better but fits us better lined up, I take it back.

I'm almost certain that Bowyer feels the same.
  • I am not saying we shouldn't have sold Bonne. But given the salary cap issue and our lack of strikers we should have told QPR that we will need to replace him before we sell him. I am confident Sandgaard wouldn't have disagreed with this approach. Duchatelet would but the way we have gone about this makes no sense. We are also indicating to potential selling clubs we have money from the sale. It makes no football sense. But if we have somebody who may not be better but fits us better lined up, I take it back.

Clearly there is no reasoning with you on this and you know more than Bowyer and Gallen. 

Let’s get you in the dugout.
  • Are you 14 years old.

While your doing your colouring books tonight, I will be at a football match, like I was last night and Saturday afternoon.

• What about Jack Clarke, Spurs winger/forward who they signed from Leeds. Only played 6 games at QPR so I'm not sure a load of Champ clubs will be interested and move to League 1 might do him good. 
    That is a very good shout... He's class aswrll
  • Sponsored links:

• If we are going to start talking about getting rid of a young, up and coming, attack minded, football on the ground, sought after manager who has previously worked wonders.

Can I be the first to suggest we replace him with a young, up and coming, attack minded, football on the ground, sought after manager who has previously worked wonders?

Any suggestions  ;)
  • Laddick01 said:
    Lee Bowyer, alongside Gallen and Jackson is one of the very few positives this football club has had to hold onto over the past 4/5 years.

Macauley Bonne, a player who openly admitting to having his head turned, was sold for a price that was really good considering our situation.

Bowyer has been consistently screwed. Whether it be through negligent owners or this new EFL cap. But yeah, let’s sack the one man who has kept this club afloat in its most turbulent time if he doesn’t reach top 6. 

Sometimes I think we have the most clueless fan base in football.

I believe we have clueless fans regarding football matters, but @MuttleyCAFC isn't one of them.  
    He has managed at an older group than I did but anyone who coaches, manages and decides tactics that wins a League or cup has my respect. The pro game or grass roots.
    If I was modest and not so gobby, I wouldn't mentioned that I won a 32 team cup tournament with being the lowest ranked team but always blow your own trumpet in life because no one else will.  

Muttley is one of the best posters on here even if this statement is dynamite.

I believe Lee Bowyer deserves backing for the rest of this season but he has lost his Mojo which is understandable with the nightmare of disasters that happened on and off the pitch last season.

Will Lee Bowyer get sacked by Thomas Sandgaard if Charlton are mid table or outside the top 6 at the end of season.?

Yes, because TS is a very ambitious man.

but we have two windows to get rid of deadwood and bring in talent.

I really hope Lee can achieve again.

Like me and Muttley, Bowyer is a course and distance WINNER.

Sorry but that’s disgusting...

is he wearing Crocs?!
    Yes I was...

Now would you mind calling the ambulance service as I appear to be stuck
  • If bowyer doesn't get us top six this season I reckon we should get somebody who can. We are not there yet, but we shouldn't be making excuses for him before the season has got going. I'm sure he didn't have to sell a £2m player. It is down to him to replace and not moan about it.

Please read carefully, I am not saying sack him. But I am saying don't give him a free pass to fail.
    I'm not aware that he has been moaning about replacing Bonne.
    No but I'd be surprised if he doesnt bemoan the fact he couldnt get a replacement if thats what happens by next Friday
    I just hope he wasn't completely dependant on Schwartz. I don't doubt we'll sign two strikers, but hope they are not desperate signings for the sake of it. 
    Not Bowyers fault with the transfer embargo meaning little business could be done + the wage cap has further hindered almost any chance of getting a guaranteed 20 goal a season striker. Just makes selling Bonne senseless before bringing in replacements. We are left with Washington who has scored 54 goals in league & international football in 8 years. Major cock up IN MY OPINION, as I said at the weekend everyone will know that we're desperate. 
    Is there such a thing as a guaranteed 20 goal a season striker? Are you claiming Bonne would have got 20 goals this season if he stayed?

It is a team game and there are so many factors that come into a play that it makes that claim nonsense.

I believe that Bows and co know what they are doing, and certainly know better than anyone on this site.
  • Bradley Wright-Phillips scored the Goals in the Chris Powell created team in League 1, and all the components of a successful side came together.

It was a shame that Bradley was more into his computer games (his words) as he was more than capable of improving his work rate and scoring goals in the Championship. Being called a lazy Bastard to his face after a home defeat in the League cup by some guys from the Covered end (in the west stand for that game) didn't help, and Bradley decided to try his luck in New York and become a prolific goal scorer in the MLS.
    126 goals in 240 games for New York Red bull team has made him a legend with the fans.
    Still playing and scoring for Los Angeles FC last time I checked.

Not bad for "a lazy Bastard"

I want a double act up front for Cafc.
    Still feel gutted that the Grant and Taylor didn't last long enough and Taylor/Bonne would have worked and Bonne would've been more consistent playing alongside Lyle. 

I'm watching many prolific goal scorers in lower League football, Joe Taylor 40 in 40 for Cray Wanderers but the step up is too great.

Steve Gallen has the network of contacts.
    National League or League 2 goal scorers may have to be the answer.

Joe Taylor is a proper number 9 all round forward currently at his prime, he could play higher but league one is a massive gap. He is a Charlton fan as well. 
  • How come we're waffling on backwards and forwards about BWP, MB, whether LB is brilliant or shit and everything except the fact that we seem to have two players, Koiki and Gunter, on the verge of signing for us - one of whom has already played in a CAFC team that has just beaten Millwall.  Or aren't we bothered about that any more?
  • How come we're waffling on backwards and forwards about BWP, MB, whether LB is brilliant or shit and everything except the fact that we seem to have two players, Koiki and Gunter, on the verge of signing for us - one of whom has already played in a CAFC team that has just beaten Millwall.  Or aren't we bothered about that any more?
    Hope he doesnt get too used to it!!
    Take that shit to the transfer thread...... 

...... Oh 
  • Sponsored links:

• And yes, I think 7th in this league is failure.
    Nobody is saying it isn’t, what people are questioning is the laughable suggestion that Bowyer should be sacked if we finish 7th. 
    Only Sandgaard knows if Bow will keep his job if we're not performing. He specifically said he wanted exciting football.
  • And I can't forget the dynamic front foot manager Bowyer was before all this ESI crap. We now have a new owner and I expect that manager to return. I would like it to happen sooner rather than later, but i still have faith. It is just that it isn't blind faith!  
  • Few players at Everton that need game time and are worth looking at... Callum Connolly, Matt Pennington, Josh Bowler, Ellis Simms.
  • Sage said:
    What about Jack Clarke, Spurs winger/forward who they signed from Leeds. Only played 6 games at QPR so I'm not sure a load of Champ clubs will be interested and move to League 1 might do him good. 
    Agree with this, he needs a move to a League One club to reignite his career a little bit.

Leeds got the deal of the century selling him for £9mil with a sell on. He went back on loan at Leeds and didn’t play, went to QPR and didn’t get a look in. He only got the move as he burst onto the scene and done well. Someone like Bow is probably exactly what he needs.

He would have to play out wide though, by no means is he a forward.
    Yeah I more meant a forward as wide in a 433. Gives us another option to compete with Maddison/Doughty so that if one of them was injured or needed a rest we could play the same formation. 
  • Dazzler21 said:

Nobody is saying it isn’t, what people are questioning is the laughable suggestion that Bowyer should be sacked if we finish 7th. 
    Only Sandgaard knows if Bow will keep his job if we're not performing. He specifically said he wanted exciting football.
    I can’t speak for Thomas but for most fans, winning football is exciting football. My feeling is that league one is like quicksand. You fall into it and it’s a bastard to get yourself out again. Frankly getting out is the sole objective and by any means possible. Great if it’s pretty but as long as you win the matches and get the points that’s all that’s required. The standard in league one is generally awful and getting third tier players playing like Liverpool ain’t ever going to happen. For me it’s about getting a really tight defence and finding a 20 goal a season striker. At present Charlton fail on both counts. The wage cap stops a club with a few Bob and an ambitious owner buying their way out. The manager is all important in getting enough out of his players to get promoted. I actually think getting out of this league could easily take three years again and if the cap remains even then I think we will require a lot of luck.
    I don't know I have seen plenty of league 1 teams play like Liverpool did on Sunday....

Thats not what you meant is it? 
  • Few players at Everton that need game time and are worth looking at... Callum Connolly, Matt Pennington, Josh Bowler, Ellis Simms.
    Pennington is 26 today! Barely ever played for them, decent amount of games in Championship over last 3 years though. 
  • edited October 2020
    If we finish 7th in this crap league, I doubt it will feel like we are building towards something. The difference may be, I do not expect us to finish 7th. I expect us to do better. And I hope and believe Bowyer feels the same and has a bit more ambition than some of you lot. And I have been stating what I think failure looks like. And yes, failure has consequences in football. Of course, what is important is what Sandgaard thinks failure looks like.

I am willing to accept that Bowyer has a plan in relation to selling Bonne. I am waiting to see what it is without the awareness of what it could be. When he achieves it, it will be an example of his strengths as a manager. He is like the magician which will have me saying, how did he do that?