Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• SamE7 said:
    THERE ARE 10.5 DAYS LEFT UNTIL THE DOMESTIC WINDOW SHUTS (if anyone wasn't aware). How do some of you get through your day to day lives?!
    Occasional breathing tends to help ;)
  • Is it time to panic, oh please say it is.
    Isn't it always time to panic, thought it was a given
    being an Addick ;)
  • edited October 2020
    If bowyer doesn't get us top six this season I reckon we should get somebody who can. 

Please read carefully, I am not saying sack him. 
    Just weird.
    If you remove the context of the rest of his post, sure. 

Bit weird in itself. 

Laddick01 said:
    If bowyer doesn't get us top six this season I reckon we should get somebody who can. We are not there yet, but we shouldn't be making excuses for him before the season has got going. I'm sure he didn't have to sell a £2m player. It is down to him to replace and not moan about it.

Please read carefully, I am not saying sack him. But I am saying don't give him a free pass to fail.
    What the fuck have I just read.
    With respect to Muttley, I find myself disagreeing with quite a few things they say. Nothing personal, we have just had differing opinions on several things.

I make them spot on about this though. I'm in also in agreement with Forever, I don't fully buy him wanting to leave. He didn't down tools, Bowyer was still picking him so I doubt he was mentioning it every 5 minutes. Selling Bonne for 2mil and being able to adequately replace him is good business. Selling him for 2mil and not being able to adequately replace him is terrible business.
     Agree with this. 
  • masicat said:
    Not a Bonne fan. However , selling him when we did was a ridiculous thing to do. He should have been told he is here for the season, end of. 
    you would have kept an uninterested player for a season. Look at bonne’s misses against Doncaster with free headers from 6 yards compared to his goal for qpr. I disagree with players only performing when they like but we need commitment, without that, why keep him.
  • Who of our current midfield is of Championship quality and capable of playing all/most the games in the Championship? Apparently our midfield is full of them.

How come we haven't had any bids from the Championship clubs for all these quality players?

How many of our midfield full of Championship quality do we expect to follow Bonne to the Championship?

I can only think of Doughty, Watson (and Maddison although no Championship clubs wanted Maddison).

Well, 30 something Watson based on his career and the injured Gilbey with a few decent league one seasons are? maybe? Should be? 19  year old welsh international Levitt and 20 year old Vennings playing their first full seasons in men's football COULD be. 

JFC might be good again like that time 3 seasons ago, Bowyer might suddenly trust Morgan and so he'll come good, current CB Pratley did alright in the champ last season and Williams who's really a 10 might remember he's a half decent footballer and show his class in the middle.

That's why we absolutely do not need anymore midfielders. 

(Not letting this go am I....) 😉
  • SamE7 said:
    THERE ARE 10.5 DAYS LEFT UNTIL THE DOMESTIC WINDOW SHUTS (if anyone wasn't aware). How do some of you get through your day to day lives?!
    I require constant reassurance 
    Don't worry, everything will be OK. Nothing's ever as bad as it seems. Every grey cloud has a silver lining. The best things in life are free.

For Mrs Bowyer so loved the world that she gave us her son, so that whoever shall believe in him, shall not listen to Golfie but have eternal optimism and a carefree Charlton Life.
  • He has time to sort it out. He has just sold a Championship quality striker, and has a midfield full of Championship quality. He has enough time to sort it out and if I was a betting man, I will bet he will.

But if he doesn't I would look at the negative tactics after winning our first two post lockdown games and the tepid way he has set up so far this season. I appreciate there are circumstances to factor in. He needs to sort this out and like I said, I don't want to hear him moaning why we couldn't replace Bonne. 

We all want to see some positive business in this window and whilst it won't be easy, we don't want a manager who can do it when it was easy. It wasn't easy when he first got the job, but I suspect the minute he started to care if he had the job or not, we saw negative traits. I want to see the front foot manager will balls that set out to win games that Bowyer was when he first got his opportunity.

We all want to see positive signings and front foot football, but we have no idea what might happen this season, Doughty could break both his legs during the international break. 

Why make stupid statements about sacking Bowyer if we don’t make top six during a season of transition? Bowyer could win the league the season after? 

Let’s not forget all the other clubs haven’t had the wage cap and have been building promotion winning squads over the course of 3-4 seasons. We’ve lost the majority of the squad and need to replace with this stupid cap.

I ask again, who do you think would do a better job? 
    Who has been building promotion winning squads for 3 or 4 seasons?  
  • Laddick01

"Macauley Bonne, a player who openly admitting to having his head turned, was sold for a price that was really good considering our situation.

Bowyer has been consistently screwed. Whether it be through negligent owners or this new EFL cap. But yeah, let’s sack the one man who has kept this club afloat in its most turbulent time if he doesn’t reach top 6. 

Sometimes I think we have the most clueless fan base in football."

Totally agree, Laddick01. I have watched every game this season and soon came to the conclusion that we were playing with just 10 men in the majority of games (Swindon excepted). Bonne had simply switched off and what's worse is that his performances deteriorated with each successive match. Watching the Addicks was like watching a swimmer competing with a 5Kg lead weight around their neck. He simply had to go. In fact looking back we would probably have been better off playing with just 10 men.

• SamE7 said:
    I require constant reassurance 
    Don't worry, everything will be OK. Nothing's ever as bad as it seems. Every grey cloud has a silver lining. The best things in life are free.

For Mrs Bowyer so loved the world that she gave us her son, so that whoever shall believe in him, shall not listen to Golfie but have eternal optimism and a carefree Charlton Life.
    What a wonderful philosophy ;)
  • He has time to sort it out. He has just sold a Championship quality striker, and has a midfield full of Championship quality. He has enough time to sort it out and if I was a betting man, I will bet he will.

But if he doesn't I would look at the negative tactics after winning our first two post lockdown games and the tepid way he has set up so far this season. I appreciate there are circumstances to factor in. He needs to sort this out and like I said, I don't want to hear him moaning why we couldn't replace Bonne. 

We all want to see some positive business in this window and whilst it won't be easy, we don't want a manager who can do it when it was easy. It wasn't easy when he first got the job, but I suspect the minute he started to care if he had the job or not, we saw negative traits. I want to see the front foot manager will balls that set out to win games that Bowyer was when he first got his opportunity.
    Oh Mutts I agree with you and then this!

1. Bonne had a very decent season. I think we should have kept him, but Bowyer knew the situation better than us. 

2. Who is Championship quality in our midfield? Watson? Pratley? They're a bit long in the tooth now. Maddison I'd like to agree with. I think he's better than League 1. But can he do it regularly in the Championship? Doughty is maybe Championship quality.

3. Bowyer's tactics I do feel have been to try and nick games by a goal or two. Is that a reflection on our squad more than his ability? Maybe.

4. I think we all want that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't get why people are worried, chill out. We got 2 weeks left and haven't got a game this weekend. Maybe if we haven't signed anyone by then I'll get twitchy. 
    The lack of football always makes people twitchy. 
  • Laddick01 said:
    I thought selling Bonne was a mistake. I was warning against it before it happened and I hope to be proven wrong. That is all Bowyer has to do. prove me wrong. As for the clueless fan base point, selling a championship player and not being able to replace that player is not good business. All this crap about his head being turned. You can say the same about Taylor at the start of last season.
    Firstly, I’d say I’m surprised you don’t have more faith in Bowyer. He built a very strong league one squad last time we were here, and had us playing some of our best football. He built a squad that was more than holding its own in the championship before being ravaged by injuries and returning loans etc. Bowyer knows how to build a football team, and selling Bonne should be a sign of this. Bonne doesn’t fit his system, and isn’t clinical enough to be used as an out and put finisher. Bowyer clearly believes there are players out there who will contribute more.

If anything, Taylor is the perfect example of why you don’t try and keep players here that don’t want to be. Had we taken that money for Taylor, we very well (under normal circumstances)may have been able to bring in a striker that could’ve found the back of the net on a more regular basis. 

If anything this shows to me at least that Bowyer has learnt his lesson. If the price is good, don’t threaten the morale of the squad by clinging onto an unmotivated player. 

Just to finish it off, I don’t see Bonne as a proven championship player, but I guess we’ll see by the end of the season whether that is a fair assessment or not.
    Excellent post.
  • Who of our current midfield is of Championship quality and capable of playing all/most the games in the Championship? Apparently our midfield is full of them.

How come we haven't had any bids from the Championship clubs for all these quality players?

How many of our midfield full of Championship quality do we expect to follow Bonne to the Championship?

I can only think of Doughty (and Maddison although no Championship clubs wanted Maddison).
    I agree, we seem be overrun with midfielders but with the exception of Doughty, Maddison, Gilbey and Watson who should be our first choice who else in our squad are of the same class. 
    Even Pratley has had a poor start to the season compared to last. Think we need to get rid of a few players who aren't going to pull their weight 
    Pratley has been playing a deeper holding role or CB when he has played. He needs to be around the middle of the pitch breaking up play to be at his best. 

I can only think of Doughty (and Maddison although no Championship clubs wanted Maddison).
    I agree, we seem be overrun with midfielders but with the exception of Doughty, Maddison, Gilbey and Watson who should be our first choice who else in our squad are of the same class. 
    Even Pratley has had a poor start to the season compared to last. Think we need to get rid of a few players who aren't going to pull their weight 
    Unfair, considering he is being asked to play out of position 

While he sometimes slotted into a back 3 as a 3rd CB last season, it's a lot harder playing as part of a back 4 as one of the main markers. Especially when he's not been alongside the likes of Pearce, Sarr or Lockyer
  • SamE7 said:
    It's Charlton. We're not happy unless in a constant state of panic/misery with the odd dash of excitement and hysteria. It's all we know at this stage
  • masicat said:
    Not a Bonne fan. However , selling him when we did was a ridiculous thing to do. He should have been told he is here for the season, end of. 
    you would have kept an uninterested player for a season. Look at bonne’s misses against Doncaster with free headers from 6 yards compared to his goal for qpr. I disagree with players only performing when they like but we need commitment, without that, why keep him.
    Would a disinterested player have got in the position to have the headed chance?

This season vs other strikers:
    0 shots vs Crewe (Washington had 2, Aneke had 2)
    3 shots vs Doncaster (Washington had 4)
    2 Shots vs Lincoln (Washington had 1) 

Sure he might not have been finishing those chances, but he was hardly disinterested. 
  • Valley11 said:
    200 new posts of hot air

Any transfer rumours?
    You know where you are? Don't you buddy?
  • Valley11 said:
    200 new posts of hot air

Any transfer rumours?
    Yeah, the rumour is that Chris Gunter was going to sign but he took the only pen with him & so they have to wait for him to return from international duty before we can sign anyone else.

I know I keep banging on about it but would you seriously play Doughty, Maddison and a 35 year old in the same 4 man midfield?

The midfielders that have had a "poor start" have either played behind a no existent strike force, a make shift back 4 or out of position. 

Since the super duper January transfer Bowyer has basically had to send the most fit and balanced team he can throw together.  The whole team has been unbalanced through injury, transfer embargo, players refusing to play.

To answer @Covered End I think most of our senior midfielders could do a good job in the championship in the right positions, in the right formation with the right players with them.  We haven't had that luxury since Gallagher left. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    He has time to sort it out. He has just sold a Championship quality striker, and has a midfield full of Championship quality. He has enough time to sort it out and if I was a betting man, I will bet he will.

We all want to see positive signings and front foot football, but we have no idea what might happen this season, Doughty could break both his legs during the international break. 

Why make stupid statements about sacking Bowyer if we don’t make top six during a season of transition? Bowyer could win the league the season after? 

Let’s not forget all the other clubs haven’t had the wage cap and have been building promotion winning squads over the course of 3-4 seasons. We’ve lost the majority of the squad and need to replace with this stupid cap.

Pretty much anyone who you expect to be in and around the top 6. 

Peterborough, Sunderland, Doncaster, Fleetwood, Blackpool, Portsmouth etc. They’ve all added to their squads and strengthened in the areas needed. 

That’s not including Ipswich, Hull, us, and anyone else who may have a good season. It’s why it’s so stupid to say we should sack Bowyer if he doesn’t get top 6 this season. 
  • edited October 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:
    He has time to sort it out. He has just sold a Championship quality striker, and has a midfield full of Championship quality. He has enough time to sort it out and if I was a betting man, I will bet he will.

Pretty much anyone who you expect to be in and around the top 6. 

Peterborough, Sunderland, Doncaster, Fleetwood, Blackpool, Portsmouth etc. They’ve all added to their squads and strengthened in the areas needed. 

That’s not including Ipswich, Hull, us, and anyone else who may have a good season. It’s why it’s so stupid to say we should sack Bowyer if he doesn’t get top 6 this season. 
    Have you seen Sunderland's transfers this summer?  Their squad is unrecognisable from 4 months ago, let alone 4 years ago.

The churn of players at this level, every year, is unbelievable.

Edit: Of course it would be bloody stupid to sack Bowyer any time in the next 18 months.  What ever happens. 
  • Personally I don't buy the notion we still have two weeks.
    Yes technically we have, but I would prefer to have the players already here, and two weeks to fashion a credible team with an effective style.
    The problem will be the fecking about by agents right up to the wire. Yesterday with the on off Schwartz thing it is a good example of the agents blackmail approach.
    Right now we don't resemble much of a coherent team, but for example Lincoln and Doncaster seemed much more at ease with themselves.
  • seth plum said:
    Personally I don't buy the notion we still have two weeks.
    Yes technically we have, but I would prefer to have the players already here, and two weeks to fashion a credible team with an effective style.
    The problem will be the fecking about by agents right up to the wire. Yesterday with the on off Schwartz thing it is a good example of the agents blackmail approach.
    Right now we don't resemble much of a coherent team, but for example Lincoln and Doncaster seemed much more at ease with themselves.
    Sorry to seem rude when I say that but a few issues:
    - We do have nearly two weeks.
    - What we'd prefer is neither here nor there - lots of things we'd prefer.
    - Scwartz wasn't an example of blackmail he just didn't want to join.
    I do agree Lincoln and Doncaster seemed like a better unit.
  • edited October 2020
    If bowyer doesn't get us top six this season I reckon we should get somebody who can. We are not there yet, but we shouldn't be making excuses for him before the season has got going. I'm sure he didn't have to sell a £2m player. It is down to him to replace and not moan about it.

Please read carefully, I am not saying sack him. But I am saying don't give him a free pass to fail.
    I'm not aware that he has been moaning about replacing Bonne.
    No but I'd be surprised if he doesnt bemoan the fact he couldnt get a replacement if thats what happens by next Friday
    I just hope he wasn't completely dependant on Schwartz. I don't doubt we'll sign two strikers, but hope they are not desperate signings for the sake of it. 
    Not Bowyers fault with the transfer embargo meaning little business could be done + the wage cap has further hindered almost any chance of getting a guaranteed 20 goal a season striker. Just makes selling Bonne senseless before bringing in replacements. We are left with Washington who has scored 54 goals in league & international football in 8 years. Major cock up IN MY OPINION, as I said at the weekend everyone will know that we're desperate. 
  • Southbank said:
    Unfortunately, the one player we need more than any other, somebody who can score 20+ goals in League One, is very unlikely to be currently unemployed.
    We will have to buy somebody, presumably by offering over the odds to another League One club who need the money. Anybody know who fits that bill?
    Mo Eisa?
  • Dazzler21 said:
    masicat said:
    Would a disinterested player have got in the position to have the headed chance?

This season vs other strikers:
    0 shots vs Crewe (Washington had 2, Aneke had 2)
    3 shots vs Doncaster (Washington had 4)
    2 Shots vs Lincoln (Washington had 1) 

Sure he might not have been finishing those chances, but he was hardly disinterested. 
    And vs Sunderland Washington had 0 shots, with our team as a whole having a pathetic 4 shots in the whole match, none of them threatening