Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• Oggy Red said:
    Remember it's not just about signing any decent striker who may be available.

He has to fit Bowyer's gameplans and ways of playing.

Bow tends to like to play 2 mobile strikers who will drive forward with the ball and work well together.
    I bet in his mind, he's still looking for a Grant and a Taylor.

Would prefer a Mendonca and Hunt :)
    I think they are past it now mate 😁
  • Oggy Red said:

Bow tends to like to play 2 mobile strikers who will drive forward with the ball and work well together.

Would prefer a Mendonca and Hunt :)
    I think they are past it now mate 😁
    Show those young uns how it's done...
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    If other teams in this league can do it on this budget so can we. Stop being so bloody negative. 

It's CONSTANT.

Still just under 2 weeks left of the window FFS.
    You seem to forget that all other teams in the league put their squads together BEFORE the wage cap came in. Look at Sunderland. They signed Danny Graham. Do you think he is on £3k pw ??

I know I am seen by many on here as pessimistic or (as Boris would say) a doomster & gloomster.......but some of you need to wake up to reality. We are not even playing on a level playing field.
    Danny Graham managed to hit the North Upper from inside the Covered End 6 yard box Saturday - thanks but no thanks 
    I wasnt talking about him as a striker per se......just that there are big players on big salaries that teams in this League have signed BEFORE the wage cap.

Jeez this is hard. I'm going to take a step back as its doing my head in. 
    Sunderland signed Danny Graham in September so AFTER the wage cap
    That's 4 league games, 0 goals, 0 assists Danny Graham too :D

Poor Sunderland.
    Didn't they pay something like £5m for Will Grigg too?
    Just shows that the market is fraught with danger and easy to make an expensive mis-step
  • Oggy Red said:

That's what I thought but the signings, so far, don't suggest that. Washington certainly isn't like that.  You can't play Maddison in Bowyer's previously preferred formation (or Doughty).

If it was a new manager doing this I would question it but Bowyer and Gallen certainly have enough credit for me to trust them 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    If other teams in this league can do it on this budget so can we. Stop being so bloody negative. 

It's CONSTANT.

You seem to forget that all other teams in the league put their squads together BEFORE the wage cap came in. Look at Sunderland. They signed Danny Graham. Do you think he is on £3k pw ??

I know I am seen by many on here as pessimistic or (as Boris would say) a doomster & gloomster.......but some of you need to wake up to reality. We are not even playing on a level playing field.
    Danny Graham managed to hit the North Upper from inside the Covered End 6 yard box Saturday - thanks but no thanks 
    I wasnt talking about him as a striker per se......just that there are big players on big salaries that teams in this League have signed BEFORE the wage cap.

Poor Sunderland.
    Just shows that the market is fraught with danger and easy to make an expensive mis-step
    The 1st of February melt down "they have spent millions on Grigg and we have got a Gillingham reserve on a free" 😂😂
  • Not ITK or anything but I think we will try and get Joe Piggott back from Wimbledon. He's started well this season, will be on a reasonable wage, knows the club, Jacko knows him. All kind of falls into place.
    His elder brother Sam is a mate of mine. 
    I think I'll give him a call and see if he knows anything. 
    Just spoke to him and he says he's heard nothing.
    So that is either good or bad news depending on what you think of Piggott. 
    Keep your ears to the ground, sounds like a good source ITK ;)
  • edited October 2020
    Finding a goal scoring striker for this league.
    My guess, and hope is LB/SG can dig up another rough diamond from the lower league's.
    Preferable to signing an unwanted player on the way down.

Not easy cos he needs to have reasonable experience. A gamble I know
    So like Bonne 23 to 25/26 years old ideal.

I'm often wrong though  😸.
  • It'll be really difficult to sign somebody who's just joined another club, but things might be easier in January
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2020
    Lee and Steve really have their work cut out for them. What can they conjure up?

All the decent Prem youth have already got their loans. I doubt a fourth tier striker is going to fire us to third tier promotion. Bogle and Hiwula are alright but not what we need.

The month long delay due to the ESI injunction etc has properly shafted our season.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

It's CONSTANT.

Poor Sunderland.
    Personally I think it has more to do with the type of player. I have always believed that you buy the best striker you can afford and then play to his strengths.
    Sunderland and now us are doing it the other way round, so we have to find strikers that fit in with the way we play. You can do that at the top table, not so easy at our level.

Sunderland are a big strong side, but that is their weakness. Not enough craft. They are probably the best big and strong side in the league. Should see them into the playoffs. 

We will be set up to play football with one touch and movement. The positive is that young fast forwards will suit us, as they are likely to be available on loan.
  • Don't know why Danny Graham is being used as an example for anything. A 35 year old journeyman who's had far more bad spells at clubs than he's had good. If we'd picked him up instead of Sunderland I wouldn't have been impressed at all
    I'd probably agree but I still think he can do a job at this level. I wouldn't have wanted him on the wages he's likey to be on, but he has come off a reasonable spell at Blackburn. Not the best goalscorer but his all round game is decent. 
  • I'd agree with that. 
  • If bowyer doesn't get us top six this season I reckon we should get somebody who can. We are not there yet, but we shouldn't be making excuses for him before the season has got going. I'm sure he didn't have to sell a £2m player. It is down to him to replace and not moan about it.

Please read carefully, I am not saying sack him. But I am saying don't give him a free pass to fail.
    I'm not aware that he has been moaning about replacing Bonne.
  • If bowyer doesn't get us top six this season I reckon we should get somebody who can. We are not there yet, but we shouldn't be making excuses for him before the season has got going. I'm sure he didn't have to sell a £2m player. It is down to him to replace and not moan about it.

Please read carefully, I am not saying sack him. But I am saying don't give him a free pass to fail.
    No but I'd be surprised if he doesnt bemoan the fact he couldnt get a replacement if thats what happens by next Friday
  • exciting stuff on here :) i'll move along swiftly, no panic just yet with the international break but hopefully we have a couple of strikers in by the next match
  • Sponsored links:

I don't think you're far off, but given he could've left at any moment, I think Bowyer has earned one whole transfer window. Not 2.5 weeks with a salary cap after most business has been conducted in League One. Give him til the end of 21/22 season.

He might start in the next two weeks... 

Good idea. If he can’t get us into the playoffs this season, we should be looking for someone who has a good track record.

Hopefully we could attract someone quality like a manager who has never seen his team finish lower than 6th in League One.............. oh wait
  • Part of the issue now is that for the very first time Lee has the weight of expectation on his shoulders. That can weigh very heavy when things are not going to plan. He’s massively in credit after what he’s been through with the resources he had available. From now on he’s only got so much time to get things right. A little unfair perhaps because there are still restraints but nonetheless if we are not looking like getting near the playoffs by January then without doubt, fairly or not the natives will become restless.
  • edited October 2020
    Bowyer must still be thinking about that god damn draw with Birmingham, he finally gets money to spend but can't spend it as he would like with the salary cap. The injunction fucked him from doing anything before the cap was introduced. Yes a lot of other teams are in a similar boat but a lot of other teams either got players in before the cap or had a decent squad already that didn't need rebuilding like we did.

Having said that,  I do think the team should be performing better than how it currently is but he needs time, if it's this bad in November, I would be quite worried.