Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• Bradley Wright-Phillips scored the Goals in the Chris Powell created team in League 1, and all the components of a successful side came together.

It was a shame that Bradley was more into his computer games (his words) as he was more than capable of improving his work rate and scoring goals in the Championship. Being called a lazy Bastard to his face after a home defeat in the League cup by some guys from the Covered end (in the west stand for that game) didn't help, and Bradley decided to try his luck in New York and become a prolific goal scorer in the MLS.
    126 goals in 240 games for New York Red bull team has made him a legend with the fans.
    Still playing and scoring for Los Angeles FC last time I checked.

Not bad for "a lazy Bastard"

I want a double act up front for Cafc.
    Still feel gutted that the Grant and Taylor didn't last long enough and Taylor/Bonne would have worked and Bonne would've been more consistent playing alongside Lyle. 

I'm watching many prolific goal scorers in lower League football, Joe Taylor 40 in 40 for Cray Wanderers but the step up is too great.

Steve Gallen has the network of contacts.
    National League or League 2 goal scorers may have to be the answer.

• Joe Pigott had one decent season. He's probably ok as 3rd/4th choice but I'd be looking for better. 
    Well there’s the problem, there isn’t a 1st choice available, they have to tick the wages box first and foremost, even Paddy Madden is on money above the cap.
    I totally agree, it's very very difficult. Maybe 2 loans is the way to go with strikers, and use the money left in the cap for the RB and CB. 
  • edited October 2020
    Maybe a brick shithouse striker as back up for Aneke might be worth a look. There must be a few at National League level. Aneke has strength and ability and could be exciting in League One. But his fitness record is a worry.
  • A few available FW playing free agents - (Not saying any should/shouldn't be on our list, just players I've actually heard of):

Player - Position - Last Club

Duncan Watmore - RM - Sunderland
    (Decent if not inspiring option)
    Joshua Bohui - CF - NAC Breda
    (Young striker, quick - not played much)
    Will Keane - CF - Ipswich
    (Not exactly prolific) 
    Tomer Hemed - CF - Charlton
    (Enough said)
    Nile Ranger - CF - Southend
    (Not exactly prolific.) 
    Justin Shaibu - CF - Brentford 
    (Young, not exactly inspiring stats)
    Courtney Baker-Richardson - CF - Swansea
    (Same age as Bonne, not scored many)
    Nathaniel Mendez-Laing - RW/CF - Cardiff
    (Played in the Championship play offs last season)
    Nikolaos Karelis - CF - Brenford
    (Completely uninspiring)
    Omar Bogle - CF - Cardiff
    (Spent last season at Den Haag - a decent level, doesn't score many)
    Callum McManaman - RW - Luton
    (Played half of Luton's games last season. Scored 4, A2)
    Rudy Gestede - CF - Middlesbrough
    (Well known, didn't do much last season)
    Andre Green - LW - Aston Villa/CAFC
    (At least we know him...Sparsely shown moments of class - a lot of no shows)
    Nathan Thomas - LW - Sheffield Utd
    (Looked good a couple of years ago, never pushed on)

It's fair to say there aren't many decent forwards available. If Schwartz definitely didn't get done, the decision to sell Bonne WILL in my opinion come back to bite us. 

However there's undoubtedly players that are up and coming and could come in as perms/loans that I haven't thought of. Loans are where I can see us building some quality now. 

• DubaiCAFC said:
    What has happened is the Bonne sale has potentially turned into a massive error. With the salary cap it is going to be difficult to entice a striker of the required quality from another lower league club, if there is somebody we need around. There may be some young Premier League loanees that fit the bill but we will probably face Championship competition for the best of those. 

£2m doesn't look such a great deal if it seriously lowers your chances of getting promoted. I am now waiting for a couple of rabbits of the attacking variety to be pulled out of the hat and hoping these are not left to the last minute, where we know things can go pear shaped!
    Plenty of time to find replacements, we will get a young forward on loan from the premier league..

Bonne had to go
    No he didn't

Clubs do refuse to sell players. Or say they'll only sell someone when they have a replacement brought in. There was no rush to do the Bonne deal, it could have happened during the international break...or been cancelled if we couldn't get a replacement in

Last summer we didn't sell Taylor to Brentford, the previous summer we didn't sell Bauer to Blackburn, and that was under Roland. Both players got on with it. 

If we were desperate for the cash, I could entirely understand selling Bonne without a replacement, but surely that's not the case now?
    Once a player has his ‘head turned’ it’s quite difficult to then trust that player to give you 100% going forward.

To then reject an offer from a higher club and tell him ‘no, you’re staying here’ then any relationship starts cracking and that player won’t be the same for you again.

Add in the fact that LB didn’t really rate him anyway, I think it’s best for all parties he was allowed to leave.
    People seem to be making a big deal out of "Bonne playing poorly because his head was turned". On Saturday, Oztumer, Williams, Levitt etc all played poorly, were their heads turned? If he had been forced to stay, Bonne would have got on with it.

And I'm not saying don't sell Bonne, but wait until we have replacements lined up as otherwise as the deadline draws nearer you're in danger of panic buys, with selling clubs knowing we're desperate

• Dazzler21 said:
    If other teams in this league can do it on this budget so can we. Stop being so bloody negative. 

It's CONSTANT.

Still just under 2 weeks left of the window FFS.
    You seem to forget that all other teams in the league put their squads together BEFORE the wage cap came in. Look at Sunderland. They signed Danny Graham. Do you think he is on £3k pw ??

I know I am seen by many on here as pessimistic or (as Boris would say) a doomster & gloomster.......but some of you need to wake up to reality. We are not even playing on a level playing field.
    Some clubs have players on more money than others shocker. 

I think Lee Cattermole was on about half as much as our whole starting 11 at Wembley.  That's before they bought on Grigg and McGeady.

Sunderland aren't the only other team in league 1.  I bet some clubs can only dream of paying what we are to some of our players.  Most clubs in this divison would bite your hand off for some of the "dross" we have.

I have never seen a group of players, who all have pedigree far higher than league 1, written off as being "shit" after 4 league games.  Its, well, unique. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    If other teams in this league can do it on this budget so can we. Stop being so bloody negative. 

It's CONSTANT.

Some Other teams in the division aren't doing it on this budget, as they have players signed before the wage cap rules came in

• I thought the PFA were going to contest this ridiculous wage cap. Anyone know if it's still happening?
  • Dazzler21 said:
    A few available FW playing free agents - (Not saying any should/shouldn't be on our list, just players I've actually heard of):

(Not exactly prolific) 
    (Enough said)
    (Not exactly prolific.) 
    (Completely uninspiring)

It's fair to say there aren't many decent forwards available. If Schwartz definitely didn't get done, the decision to sell Bonne WILL in my opinion come back to bite us. 

However there's undoubtedly players that are up and coming and could come in as perms/loans that I haven't thought of. Loans are where I can see us building some quality now. 

Didn't Baker-Richardson play as a trialist against Palace??? Name rings a bell. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    A few available FW playing free agents - (Not saying any should/shouldn't be on our list, just players I've actually heard of):

(Not exactly prolific) 
    (Enough said)
    (Not exactly prolific.) 
    (Completely uninspiring)

Both Keane and Watmore are extremely injury prone too... Talking Lewis Page levels of bad past when it comes to game time

I know you're saying that these are just players you've heard of

But dont forget too that Baker-Richardson played for us against Crystal Palace in the summer, god he was awful!!
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    What has happened is the Bonne sale has potentially turned into a massive error. With the salary cap it is going to be difficult to entice a striker of the required quality from another lower league club, if there is somebody we need around. There may be some young Premier League loanees that fit the bill but we will probably face Championship competition for the best of those. 

£2m doesn't look such a great deal if it seriously lowers your chances of getting promoted. I am now waiting for a couple of rabbits of the attacking variety to be pulled out of the hat and hoping these are not left to the last minute, where we know things can go pear shaped!
    Plenty of time to find replacements, we will get a young forward on loan from the premier league..

Bonne had to go
    No he didn't

Clubs do refuse to sell players. Or say they'll only sell someone when they have a replacement brought in. There was no rush to do the Bonne deal, it could have happened during the international break...or been cancelled if we couldn't get a replacement in

Last summer we didn't sell Taylor to Brentford, the previous summer we didn't sell Bauer to Blackburn, and that was under Roland. Both players got on with it. 

If we were desperate for the cash, I could entirely understand selling Bonne without a replacement, but surely that's not the case now?
    Once a player has his ‘head turned’ it’s quite difficult to then trust that player to give you 100% going forward.

To then reject an offer from a higher club and tell him ‘no, you’re staying here’ then any relationship starts cracking and that player won’t be the same for you again.

Add in the fact that LB didn’t really rate him anyway, I think it’s best for all parties he was allowed to leave.
    People seem to be making a big deal out of "Bonne playing poorly because his head was turned". On Saturday, Oztumer, Williams, Levitt etc all played poorly, were their heads turned? If he had been forced to stay, Bonne would have got on with it.

And I'm not saying don't sell Bonne, but wait until we have replacements lined up as otherwise as the deadline draws nearer you're in danger of panic buys, with selling clubs knowing we're desperate

This is so true. What would have been wrong with us agreeing to sell Bonne with QPR subject to getting a replacement? I don't know, but I am assuming Bowyer wouldn't have had to put up too much of a fight to get Sandgaard to agree with this approach. 
  • Just read Cullen has gone to Anderlect on a perm move....gutted.
  • cafcfan said:
    So instead of signing for us, Schwartz would prefer to stay at Midtjylland with absolutely no prospect of any playing time.

Says a lot for us then!
    Maybe a team near the bottom of the 3rd tier of English football wasn't that enticing....🤔
    Do you know that the move didn’t happen for footballing reasons? The guy is 31, I’m assuming and yes this is an assumption without fact that he has a young family, moving to England, no help from parents and in laws, new schools, another new house. Maybe he decided the best thing for his family was to stay put and think about his family.
    Not to mention Brexit. 

Others have suggested revisiting a bid for him in January.  Frankly, Brexit makes that implausible if not completely impossible.

A player of his standing seems unlikely to achieve sufficient "points" to get a permit.  Indeed, the points system seems incompatible with the stupid salary cap.  Apart from the usual international appearances criteria, the system seem skewed towards high level transfer fees and/or salaries, making getting foreign players into League 1 almost an impossibility I would have thought.  Our scouts will have to trawl through UK backwaters such as Dungannon Swifts or whatever.
    Unless we are paying £500 a week, they will get a work permit due to the salary. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:

Bonne had to go
    No he didn't

I’m not making anything of Bonne not playing well Saturday.

What I’m saying is, if Bowyer had told QPR no and they moved on to other targets, I don’t believe Bonne ‘would have got on with it’.

From previous comments by Bowyer, he wasn’t afraid to dig him out. You then are left with a manager that doesn’t rate his first choice striker and a striker who’s just had a critical manager turn down a move to a better team on better money.

Not exactly a healthy situation.
  • Joe Pigott scores and creates assists in League 1.
    Despite being on speaking terms with Joe's Dad, Nod (nickname lol) when Joe was at Charlton, did I think he was good enough then. No

The fact that Joe may be good enough to be a striker for Cafc now, if finishing mid table in League 1 is your aim, speaks volumes for how far Cafc have fallen.

I was at Wembley when Joe came on as sub and scored the equaliser and a penalty in shoot out in Southend's win against Wycombe a few years ago. 
    A good lad but not the answer if we want promotion. He is 100% a better player since he left Cafc. 

• edited October 2020
    Bradley Wright-Phillips scored the Goals in the Chris Powell created team in League 1, and all the components of a successful side came together.

It was a shame that Bradley was more into his computer games (his words) as he was more than capable of improving his work rate and scoring goals in the Championship. Being called a lazy Bastard to his face after a home defeat in the League cup by some guys from the Covered end (in the west stand for that game) didn't help, and Bradley decided to try his luck in New York and become a prolific goal scorer in the MLS.
    126 goals in 240 games for New York Red bull team has made him a legend with the fans.
    Still playing and scoring for Los Angeles FC last time I checked.

Not bad for "a lazy Bastard"
     Played 555 games, scored 214 and assisted 54. 

Very 'not bad' ;)

Recently he played in the 'MLS is back' tournament scoring 4 goals and getting 2 assists in 5 games. 

This season he's played 10, scored 5 assisted 3.

Last season (2019) was his worst scoring 2 assisting 1. Which is when Redbull sold him. I think he'll continue to score regularly for LA. 
  • edited October 2020
    Dazzler21 said:

(Not exactly prolific) 
    (Enough said)
    (Not exactly prolific.) 
    (Completely uninspiring)

Both Keane and Watmore are extremely injury prone too... Talking Lewis Page levels of bad past when it comes to game time

I know you're saying that these are just players you've heard of

But dont forget too that Baker-Richardson played for us against Crystal Palace in the summer, god he was awful!!
    I knew I'd heard of him! He was at Leamington last season, so not surprised he wasn't a worldy.
  • Worried about what we will be able to bring in. Especially given the embargo has meant we have missed out on players and competitors have been able to get a head start.

But I trust in Bowyer and Gallen to come out of this situation better than anyone else could. Would be nice to see a few ins this week to calm the nerves and get them training, but these 2 know what they are doing.
  • Sponsored links:

• are we going to get better than bonne? I highly doubt it looking at those players. the only way we will is finding a player from a lower league or a prem or champ loan.. with gallens record dont bet against it. 
  • Danny Welbeck is available on a free transfer now...
  • Interesting how the narrative of Bonne's £2m transfer has done a full circle in a week. Just wait until the end of the week! 

If Maddison scores as many as Bonne and we get 2 other forwards/attackers in, it's all fine as Bonne does nothing else during the game. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:

It's CONSTANT.

You seem to forget that all other teams in the league put their squads together BEFORE the wage cap came in. Look at Sunderland. They signed Danny Graham. Do you think he is on £3k pw ??

I know I am seen by many on here as pessimistic or (as Boris would say) a doomster & gloomster.......but some of you need to wake up to reality. We are not even playing on a level playing field.
    Some clubs have players on more money than others shocker. 

I think Lee Cattermole was on about half as much as our whole starting 11 at Wembley.  That's before they bought on Grigg and McGeady.

Sunderland aren't the only other team in league 1.  I bet some clubs can only dream of paying what we are to some of our players.  Most clubs in this divison would bite your hand off for some of the "dross" we have.

I have never seen a group of players, who all have pedigree far higher than league 1, written off as being "shit" after 4 league games.  Its, well, unique. 
    My point was in reply to the poster saying that other League 1 clubs have assembled a squad on this budget. Thing is, if you brought players in before the wage cap started (so Aug 5th) you could have paid them what you wanted. 

Danny Graham pre Aug - £10k pw
    Danny Graham post Aug - £3k pw 

Slight difference.
  • The EFL are bringing in 25 player squads in the Champ, not sure when they planning on implementing it but there will a load of pro's looking for a club come the 16th

• Duncan Watmore, is a gifted footballer, but after recovering from 2 ACL knee injuries hasn't recovered his form.
    He insists he is fitter than ever so he should get a contract but it could be abroad.

He needed to get away from Sunderland, they couldn't afford to offer him a new contract on his previous wage, even if the wage cap hadn't been brought in.

Amazing the amount of players who are out of work.

The skill and judgement of Steve Gallen is paramount. We can't afford time wise, to keep getting players that are injury prone.
    If players get injured at Cafc then that is just bad luck.
    But no more crooked players that limp into their medicals at Cafc.
  • Can we still sign free agents from abroad?
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Can we still sign free agents from abroad?
    I'd presume so... Provided that they got released from their club before 11pm yesterday