Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• I think the experience with Taylor shows us if a player wants out, you are better cashing in whilst you have a chance. Bonne admitted to having his head turned, his performances seemed to suggest that in my eyes. No point having a squad and salary place taken up by someone who's got one eye on the exit door.
    Nobody was saying that when he was scoring for us

It's not as if Taylor downed tools after the January window either, in February he scored 4 crucial goals as we picked up 3 wins, 2 of which were against relegation rivals Barnsley and Luton. 
  • edited October 2020
    If you cash out every time a Cafc players gets his head turned by an offer from a team in a higher division or League then we have no chance of getting out League 1 and the premier league is just a pipe dream.

It so obvious that you have to bring in better players than you sell or who walk away at the end of their contracts to move up a division.

With the salary cap that is near on impossible to do.
    Hungry young players from lower Leagues and good hardened pros (Gunter fits the template) will be a start with the best of the academy. 

Goal scorers should always be paid the most.

• edited October 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:
    BalladMan said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    If other teams in this league can do it on this budget so can we. Stop being so bloody negative. 

It's CONSTANT.

Still just under 2 weeks left of the window FFS.
    You seem to forget that all other teams in the league put their squads together BEFORE the wage cap came in. Look at Sunderland. They signed Danny Graham. Do you think he is on £3k pw ??

I know I am seen by many on here as pessimistic or (as Boris would say) a doomster & gloomster.......but some of you need to wake up to reality. We are not even playing on a level playing field.
    Some clubs have players on more money than others shocker. 

I think Lee Cattermole was on about half as much as our whole starting 11 at Wembley.  That's before they bought on Grigg and McGeady.

Sunderland aren't the only other team in league 1.  I bet some clubs can only dream of paying what we are to some of our players.  Most clubs in this divison would bite your hand off for some of the "dross" we have.

I have never seen a group of players, who all have pedigree far higher than league 1, written off as being "shit" after 4 league games.  Its, well, unique. 
    Because they have been 'shit' so far this season.  I hope it comes good, but the performances have not been acceptable since the new seasons started.  It might be a hangover from relegation. It might be the teams are bonding, but Bowyer teams usually start the season pretty strong after a tough, physical pre-season.  Its not happened this time and we are on the backfoot.  Fingers crossed it improves. 
    We have the same number of points from 4 games as we did when we got promoted.  So what you actually mean is this is exactly the same as 50% of Bowyer's previous starts to the season?

We have been shit, compared to some people's expectations, we have used about 18 players in 4 different formations.  Our season starts against Wigan.  If we are as unbalanced then as we are now I might join in the bed wetting. 
    Fair point on same number of points.  We then went unbeaten in 6.  If we do that from Wigan onwards, I will clean the sheets and make a fresh bed!!
  • edited October 2020
    Dodged a bullet so, had he signed but he wasn't properly committed he'd have been a flop. Just hope there's someone decent out there willing to do a job

And I suppose fair play to him for not signing for the sake of the extra money when his heart wasn't in it
  • Not ITK or anything but I think we will try and get Joe Piggott back from Wimbledon. He's started well this season, will be on a reasonable wage, knows the club, Jacko knows him. All kind of falls into place.
    His elder brother Sam is a mate of mine. 
    I think I'll give him a call and see if he knows anything. 
    Just spoke to him and he says he's heard nothing.
    So that is either good or bad news depending on what you think of Piggott. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    If other teams in this league can do it on this budget so can we. Stop being so bloody negative. 

It's CONSTANT.

You seem to forget that all other teams in the league put their squads together BEFORE the wage cap came in. Look at Sunderland. They signed Danny Graham. Do you think he is on £3k pw ??

I know I am seen by many on here as pessimistic or (as Boris would say) a doomster & gloomster.......but some of you need to wake up to reality. We are not even playing on a level playing field.
    Danny Graham managed to hit the North Upper from inside the Covered End 6 yard box Saturday - thanks but no thanks 
    I wasnt talking about him as a striker per se......just that there are big players on big salaries that teams in this League have signed BEFORE the wage cap.

Jeez this is hard. I'm going to take a step back as its doing my head in. 
    relax and let's see what the squad looks like when the window slams shut...rest assured that LB and SG are doing all they can to bring in the right bodies and if there's anyone I'd trust with the family silver to do so, then it's them
  • BalladMan said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    BalladMan said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:

It's CONSTANT.

Some clubs have players on more money than others shocker. 

I think Lee Cattermole was on about half as much as our whole starting 11 at Wembley.  That's before they bought on Grigg and McGeady.

Sunderland aren't the only other team in league 1.  I bet some clubs can only dream of paying what we are to some of our players.  Most clubs in this divison would bite your hand off for some of the "dross" we have.

I have never seen a group of players, who all have pedigree far higher than league 1, written off as being "shit" after 4 league games.  Its, well, unique. 
    Because they have been 'shit' so far this season.  I hope it comes good, but the performances have not been acceptable since the new seasons started.  It might be a hangover from relegation. It might be the teams are bonding, but Bowyer teams usually start the season pretty strong after a tough, physical pre-season.  Its not happened this time and we are on the backfoot.  Fingers crossed it improves. 
    We have the same number of points from 4 games as we did when we got promoted.  So what you actually mean is this is exactly the same as 50% of Bowyer's previous starts to the season?

We have been shit, compared to some people's expectations, we have used about 18 players in 4 different formations.  Our season starts against Wigan.  If we are as unbalanced then as we are now I might join in the bed wetting. 
    Fair point on same number of points.  We then went unbeaten in 6.  If we do that from Wigan onwards, I will clean the sheets and make a fresh bed!!
    After we bought in Cullen, Beilik and Ward and changed the formation :-) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Complete faith in LB and SG working their rocks off on the striker issues but what slightly concerns me is that it is notoriously difficult to find a good striker at the best of times. Under the constraints it’s going to be tough. Multiply that by two and it’s a worry. The pool is very limited and clubs are never keen to sell to rivals and out of contract options are also limited and sought after by other clubs. Nothing new you might say but at present we have Connor Washington and that’s it. Deadline day failures like in other years will completely kill off any chances of promotion this season. I though selling Bonne was good business but if we can’t get anyone in apart from another Josh Parker ( apologies to Josh who I thought did us proud) then we’re stuffed.
  • Not ITK or anything but I think we will try and get Joe Piggott back from Wimbledon. He's started well this season, will be on a reasonable wage, knows the club, Jacko knows him. All kind of falls into place.

Blackpool,
    If Sam Pigott is a mate of yours, the only question I have for you is ?

What is your Handicap ?
    And I don't mean being a Charlton fan !
  • never heard of any of them
  • never heard of any of them
    Oh dear.

Blackpool,

What is your Handicap ?
    Sam is best mates with my brother in law Neil. 
    Neil plays off 5.
    I don't play anymore but used to play off 11.
    Sam is also one of the tallest people I know .6 foot 7 inches. 
    I presume you also know him.
  • edited October 2020
    Dazzler21 said:

It's CONSTANT.

Danny Graham managed to hit the North Upper from inside the Covered End 6 yard box Saturday - thanks but no thanks 
    I wasnt talking about him as a striker per se......just that there are big players on big salaries that teams in this League have signed BEFORE the wage cap.

Sunderland signed Danny Graham in September so AFTER the wage cap
    That's 4 league games, 0 goals, 0 assists Danny Graham too :D

Blackpool,

What is your Handicap ?
    Sam is best mates with my brother in law Neil. 
    Neil plays off 5.
    I don't play anymore but used to play off 11.
    Sam is also one of the tallest people I know .6 foot 7 inches. 
    I presume you also know him.
    Well he passes the height test so can we not just sign him?
    Lol.
    He's a giant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Would take Hiwula, strong and quick, will score goals with right service.

Not keen on Bogle, prefer signings who’s stock is on the rise not demoting themselves by a league.
  • The vote is going Bogles way, but I dont think thats how signings are made 🤣🤣

• mendonca said:
    I wouldn't read into the salary jump line. They probably don't even know of the cap!

This shows the real world impacts of Covid. Moving country with the family in current times versus a pay rise and the security of a 3 year deal. 
    Thought you said don't read into the salary jump?
    ...as in the degree of the "jump." It's likely that we offered a rise, but if we ready into the huge "jump" he will have received joining us, we will just be guessing what our budget pw is now, from hearsay.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:

It's CONSTANT.

Sunderland signed Danny Graham in September so AFTER the wage cap
    I have warned you about providing facts to stop a good rant :wink:
    Haha Golfie does make me laugh(well after I have screamed WTF is he moaning about now)
    We obviously don't know how much Sunderland had left of their cap so he could still be on a decent figure, but I just remembered at the time thinking I was surprised they were signing him with the wage cap in place
  • Yeah probably because people remember him from his days scoring @ Grimsby lol!
  • The vote is going Bogles way, but I dont think thats how signings are made 🤣🤣

Seeing this just hits home just what slim pickings we are dealing with. A combination of getting the deal done last minute and the wage cap, means whoever we get we are going to scraping the barrel, It might be a case of get what we can until January and then go again , when hopefully a few more players become available. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    Remember it's not just about signing any decent striker who may be available.

He has to fit Bowyer's gameplans and ways of playing.

Bow tends to like to play 2 mobile strikers who will drive forward with the ball and work well together.
    I bet in his mind, he's still looking for a Grant and a Taylor.

Would prefer a Mendonca and Hunt :)