Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• Unfortunately the wage cap means we are as equally as attractive to sign for as Accrington Stanley are. So when you remember that, it’s not surprising why someone from another country (during a pandemic and uncertainty) whose team just qualified to play in the Champions League doesn’t want to sign!
  • cabbles said:
    We do have a strong midfield and that is a big positive.
    We have a lot of midfielders, so strong in the sense of depth.  Jury is still out for me if it’s strength in quality 
    First Judge said it had the quality, second judge overruled. 
  • Joe Pigott had one decent season. He's probably ok as 3rd/4th choice but I'd be looking for better. 
    Agreed with this.. Pigott a backwards step! The club will be hoping for good loans like the last 2 seasons.

And maybe a fee paid for an experienced striker 
  • A Top 6 target is realistic and not an overly ambitious one from a new owner. It would have been easy to cite  promotion, but since the takeover, he has mellowed with expectations knowing the reality of this being a slow process. 

Let's not underplay the fact we have about 5 Club captains in our team (Pearce, Pratley, Watson, Osh, Gunter if he comes) alongside some good academy products. If (when I hope), we bring players in that can contribute to the areas the team is deficient, I will be silently positive that we can go on a winning run. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    If other teams in this league can do it on this budget so can we. Stop being so bloody negative. 

It's CONSTANT.

Still just under 2 weeks left of the window FFS.
    It's like a therapy, if people can be so negative there's only room for pleasantly surprised.
    I have to say I don't have bags of optimism for this window and think it'll take 2 years to get a top 6 squad, barring some Gallen magic. This season to get some quality in MM, Gilbey etc, then next year we'll shed some of the big wages like Williams and Ozzy and re-distribute with the cap fully in place. Also means existing contracts can't be extended for other clubs in the same rate.
  • edited October 2020
    Joe Pigott had one decent season. He's probably ok as 3rd/4th choice but I'd be looking for better. 
    Joe "2 goals 4 assists in the league so far this season" Piggott?

He's started well but I probably agree. 
  • Would the likes of Paddy madden or Gnanduillett have to take a pay cut to come to us?
    Gnanduillet only moved to Turkey in August, so doubt his club would sell him already, plus now obviously can't until January anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Lots of players on more than 2k a week will now be sitting out the rest of their contracts or if they are decent enough, pushing agents for a move to a lower championship team to get a lot more money. 2k a week wage cap (on average) is absolutely crazy and I fail to see how it is sustainable
  • seth plum said:
    First target is to avoid relegation.
    Always. Goes without saying, but after a win, we aim for the Premier League within three seasons.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Joe Pigott had one decent season. He's probably ok as 3rd/4th choice but I'd be looking for better. 

He had a poor season last time round but in 2018/19 scored 15 League goals for AFC Wimbledon

Reminder that Lyle Taylor the year before him only scored 14 League goals for Wimbledon before joining us
  • Dazzler21 said:
    If other teams in this league can do it on this budget so can we. Stop being so bloody negative. 

It's CONSTANT.

Other teams in the division aren't doing it on this budget, as they have players signed before the wage cap rules came in
  • edited October 2020
    That leaves us with

a) loans from PL/Championship clubs
    b) unwanted players at Championship clubs, prepared to take a pay cut
    c) free agents
    d) prizing someone from another L1 club

So pretty much what L1 clubs usually have to do to get players in.
    I think usually L1 clubs could compete for players who were second/third choice at a Championship club. If the average wage bill at a Championship club is £36M then our £2.5M will make it difficult to even manage that.

I think many underestimate the impact of the cap will have on us this season. Avery is amazing, but he’s not a miracle worker and I think that’s what we might need to get this squad where it needs to be to compete for promotion. 
  • cafc4life said:
    Schwartz not happening 

Is that a question or a statement ?

If question, no it's not happening.
    If Statement; don't give up your day job.
    Sorry Grammar police, what is your day job? School teacher?
  • Unfortunately the wage cap means we are as equally as attractive to sign for as Accrington Stanley are. So when you remember that, it’s not surprising why someone from another country (during a pandemic and uncertainty) whose team just qualified to play in the Champions League doesn’t want to sign!
    And, as someone mentioned yesterday, we are in London where costs are higher, especially housing. A player considering us or Accrington could buy a house far cheaper there than he can here.
  • Dazzler21 said:

It's CONSTANT.

You seem to forget that all other teams in the league put their squads together BEFORE the wage cap came in. Look at Sunderland. They signed Danny Graham. Do you think he is on £3k pw ??

I know I am seen by many on here as pessimistic or (as Boris would say) a doomster & gloomster.......but some of you need to wake up to reality. We are not even playing on a level playing field.
    Let's say Ipswich and Sunderland have spent the most in close season... Most other sides are vying for that play off spot. Most other sides voted for this salary cap. Most other sides will be paying players within the limits of the cap. 

If Bowyer is as good as many believe, then we will at least make top 6 this season. If we don't then we HAVE to get promoted next season. 

Simple way to win over this rule is to buy up the best young talent, that were under 21 on 01/01/2020
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2020
    Dazzler21 said:

It's CONSTANT.

You seem to forget that all other teams in the league put their squads together BEFORE the wage cap came in. Look at Sunderland. They signed Danny Graham. Do you think he is on £3k pw ??

I know I am seen by many on here as pessimistic or (as Boris would say) a doomster & gloomster.......but some of you need to wake up to reality. We are not even playing on a level playing field.
    We’re not relocating to Yeovil are we?
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    What has happened is the Bonne sale has potentially turned into a massive error. With the salary cap it is going to be difficult to entice a striker of the required quality from another lower league club, if there is somebody we need around. There may be some young Premier League loanees that fit the bill but we will probably face Championship competition for the best of those. 

£2m doesn't look such a great deal if it seriously lowers your chances of getting promoted. I am now waiting for a couple of rabbits of the attacking variety to be pulled out of the hat and hoping these are not left to the last minute, where we know things can go pear shaped!
    Plenty of time to find replacements, we will get a young forward on loan from the premier league..

Bonne had to go
    No he didn't

Clubs do refuse to sell players. Or say they'll only sell someone when they have a replacement brought in. There was no rush to do the Bonne deal, it could have happened during the international break...or been cancelled if we couldn't get a replacement in

Last summer we didn't sell Taylor to Brentford, the previous summer we didn't sell Bauer to Blackburn, and that was under Roland. Both players got on with it. 

If we were desperate for the cash, I could entirely understand selling Bonne without a replacement, but surely that's not the case now?
  • edited October 2020
  • So instead of signing for us, Schwartz would prefer to stay at Midtjylland with absolutely no prospect of any playing time.

Says a lot for us then!
    Maybe a team near the bottom of the 3rd tier of English football wasn't that enticing....🤔
    Do you know that the move didn’t happen for footballing reasons? The guy is 31, I’m assuming and yes this is an assumption without fact that he has a young family, moving to England, no help from parents and in laws, new schools, another new house. Maybe he decided the best thing for his family was to stay put and think about his family.
    Not to mention Brexit. 

Others have suggested revisiting a bid for him in January.  Frankly, Brexit makes that implausible if not completely impossible.

A player of his standing seems unlikely to achieve sufficient "points" to get a permit.  Indeed, the points system seems incompatible with the stupid salary cap.  Apart from the usual international appearances criteria, the system seem skewed towards high level transfer fees and/or salaries, making getting foreign players into League 1 almost an impossibility I would have thought.  Our scouts will have to trawl through UK backwaters such as Dungannon Swifts or whatever.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    What has happened is the Bonne sale has potentially turned into a massive error. With the salary cap it is going to be difficult to entice a striker of the required quality from another lower league club, if there is somebody we need around. There may be some young Premier League loanees that fit the bill but we will probably face Championship competition for the best of those. 

£2m doesn't look such a great deal if it seriously lowers your chances of getting promoted. I am now waiting for a couple of rabbits of the attacking variety to be pulled out of the hat and hoping these are not left to the last minute, where we know things can go pear shaped!
    Plenty of time to find replacements, we will get a young forward on loan from the premier league..

Bonne had to go
    No he didn't

Clubs do refuse to sell players. Or say they'll only sell someone when they have a replacement brought in. There was no rush to do the Bonne deal, it could have happened during the international break...or been cancelled if we couldn't get a replacement in

Last summer we didn't sell Taylor to Brentford, the previous summer we didn't sell Bauer to Blackburn, and that was under Roland. Both players got on with it. 

If we were desperate for the cash, I could entirely understand selling Bonne without a replacement, but surely that's not the case now?
    We have to trust the process and assume that Bowyer thinks it’s a good deal for the club and that 2 mil is the top of the market for this player. Additionally we still don’t know the in-depth financial situation or understanding of the salary cap. 

I’d like to see where are we in 18 months and then make a judgement. Though I’m fully aware that results even in the short term will dictate at least some of the supporter feeling and there is a feeling we are going in the right direction.
  • It may well be top of the market, but if you are ambitious for promotion, you have to factor in the ability to replace!
  • DubaiCAFC said:

Bonne had to go
    No he didn't

Once a player has his ‘head turned’ it’s quite difficult to then trust that player to give you 100% going forward.

To then reject an offer from a higher club and tell him ‘no, you’re staying here’ then any relationship starts cracking and that player won’t be the same for you again.

Add in the fact that LB didn’t really rate him anyway, I think it’s best for all parties he was allowed to leave.
  • It is also possible to get them to knuckle down and get back on track when the window closes. 
  • Dazzler21 said:

Fair but 7 in 34 last season. 15 in 18/19 was a good season, I'm not convinced from what I've seen he has the ability to come in and get 15 for us.