Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• So instead of signing for us, Schwartz would prefer to stay at Midtjylland with absolutely no prospect of any playing time.

Says a lot for us then!
    Maybe a team near the bottom of the 3rd tier of English football wasn't that enticing....🤔
    Yes, I’m sure a professional footballer of 13 years would judge a team on their league position after 4 games!!!
    Could well be nothing to do with Charlton as such.  At 31 he's highly likely to have a wife and kids - other personal reasons.  Massive upheaval for a 2 year(?) contract.  And we all know it wouldn't be a life changing income for him.  Will probably look around for a Danish team.  There are other reasons for not signing than football related ones...!
  • In all honesty I’m just looking for us to pay a fee for a player and not loans or free agents. Would love to know when was the last time we paid say half million for a player? ( excluding any of the Roland Standard liege shenanigans)
    Nicky ajose? 
    Wow a million pounds for a third division player, reminds when we signed the chap izael McLeod back in 08 for 1,5 m
    It’s great , miles behind reading this shit rather than shenanigans, way back on pg152 ...

McLeod and Ajose the precursors to Bonne .....
  • It appears that not everybody knows how Wikipedia works?! 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    kentred2 said:
    The rebuild will be a slow process over quite a few transfer windows. 
    If Bowyer settles on a team and formation, and sticks with it then top half should be possible this season which will be a good first step. 
    I am not sure I agree with you.  3 of our last 4 promotions were teams put together during 12 months, or less. 

Even Powell's master class in team building had a very different look to it at the end of the season compared to the opening day.

Only 5 of our team that lost at Sunderland on the opening day played in the play off final.  Curbs play off final winning team included 6 players that made their debuts after the season started. 

We are blatantly 4 players short, get the right ones of them in and we will look a totally different team. 

Again, the big problem between then & now is that we are stymied by the wage cap. I doubt very much that any decent experienced pro will leave his current team & join us when we can pay a max of around £3k pw. 

And if you want to go down the road of loans did you not see that Loftus-Cheek is on £150k pw. Good luck in asking a prem team to subsidise 98% of the players wage.

(Obs L-C is an unusual situation but the point stands)
  • edited October 2020
    Maybe we can get past the cap by paying a loan fee for a player and having their club subsidise the wages beyond the cap. Does anybody know if this is possible?

If it is possible, it is probably better. Had we paid a loan fee for Gallagher, it is probable he would have not left when we needed him and we would be playing in the higher division!
  • edited October 2020
    dickplumb said:
    I think this salary cap is badly affecting us.
    This in spades.

The only players we will be bringing in are those currently without a club (which generally means that they haven't had a proper "pre-season" & aren't 100% match fit) or loanees from a Prem side who by nature will be under 21 & very inexperienced. The former will be close to retirement (Watson) & the latter not what you need when you haven't got a main striker. 

Wake up & smell the coffee.
  • mendonca said:
    It appears that not everybody knows how Wikipedia works?! 
    Whoosh?
  • Sponsored links:

• dickplumb said:
    I think this salary cap is badly affecting us.
    This in spades.

The only players we will be bringing in are those currently without a club (which generally means that they haven't had a proper "pre-season" & aren't 100% match fit) or loanees from a Prem side who by nature will be under 21 & very inexperienced. 

Wake up & smell the coffee.
    you really are a positive person, aren't you?
  • Not ITK or anything but I think we will try and get Joe Piggott back from Wimbledon. He's started well this season, will be on a reasonable wage, knows the club, Jacko knows him. All kind of falls into place.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    kentred2 said:
    The rebuild will be a slow process over quite a few transfer windows. 
    If Bowyer settles on a team and formation, and sticks with it then top half should be possible this season which will be a good first step. 
    I am not sure I agree with you.  3 of our last 4 promotions were teams put together during 12 months, or less. 

Even Powell's master class in team building had a very different look to it at the end of the season compared to the opening day.

Only 5 of our team that lost at Sunderland on the opening day played in the play off final.  Curbs play off final winning team included 6 players that made their debuts after the season started. 

We are blatantly 4 players short, get the right ones of them in and we will look a totally different team. 

Again, the big problem between then & now is that we are stymied by the wage cap. I doubt very much that any decent experienced pro will leave his current team & join us when we can pay a max of around £3k pw. 

And if you want to go down the road of loans did you not see that Loftus-Cheek is on £150k pw. Good luck in asking a prem team to subsidise 98% of the players wage.

(Obs L-C is an unusual situation but the point stands)
    I don't think there is many premier league players on £150k a week looking for loan moves to the 3rd divison is there?

Supprised we didn't try and hijack Sanchez's move from United to Inter...........

I highly doubt we paid considerably more than 3k a week (on average) each for Cullen, Beilik, Parker, Williams and Purrington, do you?

If we bring in 5 players of that quality, 3 to improve the quality and 2 for more balance, we would be fine. 

• Funnily I agree to an extent with Golfie

Even if we could sign Eisa I'd be surprised as if he's on more than £2k a week then we could potentially be having to ask him to take a wage cut, why would he or any other Striker that we've mentioned from the Championship down to League Two do that - Its another reason why the Salary Cap will be largely disjointed until all current salaries expire as thats when players will have to accept that their demands will have to be lowered

Still got every faith in Bowyer / Gallen of course, but wont be surprised if its a Premier League youngster that we end up getting and a freebie like Omar Bogle
  • Not ITK or anything but I think we will try and get Joe Piggott back from Wimbledon. He's started well this season, will be on a reasonable wage, knows the club, Jacko knows him. All kind of falls into place.
    Was looking at forwards etc in our league and he was the only one I thought ticked all the boxes.  

He knows the place, will be on low wages, easily obtainable with a fee, league one experience, proper striker, peak age of 26, scoring record getting better every season.
  • I agree with getting Piggott back. That would be a very good call. He has grown up and has been hardened by everyday match experience. He's a far cry from the relatively timid player, who didn't relish the physicality of the game, we once had.
  • Joe Pigott had one decent season. He's probably ok as 3rd/4th choice but I'd be looking for better. 
    Well there’s the problem, there isn’t a 1st choice available, they have to tick the wages box first and foremost, even Paddy Madden is on money above the cap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Pigott wouldnt be a bad option if we wanted to find someone as a lone Striker in a 4-3-3

Wasnt that primarily how he played coming through the U23s with Grant and potentially Sho-Silva either side of him?
  • cafc4life said:
    Schwartz not happening 

Is that a question or a statement ?

If question, no it's not happening.
    If Statement; don't give up your day job.
  • Is there any legitimate way around the salary cap? Such as signing on fee paid over various stages of contract (to ensure it is adhered to)?

Maybe TS can book an hour with Freshfields.  Subject: "Get out of League 1 with salary cap."
  • cabbles said:
    We do have a strong midfield and that is a big positive.
    We have a lot of midfielders, so strong in the sense of depth.  Jury is still out for me if it’s strength in quality 
    Based on their careers it's strong on quality. For league 1 level, which is the only thing that matters right now. 

You won't see the quality until we have a system that puts round pegs in round holes.  Bar Levitt and Vennings they have all been good league 1, or higher, players regularly in recent years.  The only one that worries me is JFC, due to not playing regularly for nearly 2 years.  Don't forget before his injury he was a very good league 1 player. 
  • Teams will want to loan their young players out and will be willing to cover a lot of the wages, they will just want them to play. I think we'll see a lot of our work go down to the wire this window (as it always does with teams at this level) as we'll be trying to get permanent signings in before loans. Ultimately though if it's not possible to get those quality permanent signings then decent loans will come and we'll still be ok. Bowyer has said our biggest barrier with loans is that teams want assurances their players will play, so if we can't secure a really good permanent striker then I'd be fine with us bringing in a quality loanee and then signing a lesser backup for him. Basically it doesn't all have to be doom and gloom. Hopefully we'll get in Gunter and Koiki soon and then we can turn our attentions to getting in a CB, a striker and a winger on loan if needs be. It'll be ok
  • We have enough midfielders who ought to be good at league one levels that if some are not doing it, there should be others that are ready to step in. We have gaps defensively and certainly in the striking department! 

We are is a pretty crap league. It is a league that you can be a bit more ambitious in that plan for 2 to 3 years to get out of it. If we don't get out of it this season there is one word for it. Failure! And if anybody wants to say otherwise, they are deluding themselves, irrespective of the crap we have had to put up with in terms of ownership recently.