Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• Oggy Red said:
    I can't help thinking Bowyer is playing the "we can't spend due to the cap rules" to drive down the expectations of some of the players and their agents
    I agree. I think that wage/agent demands went up when TS arrived. 

Pre-takeover we apparently had signings 'lined up'. If you believe what LB has said tonight, then that was either total bullshit or they lined them up completely unaware of the existence of a wage cap. I can't believe those scenarios.
    Bowyer said tonight that they are now being offered new players all the time.

Evidently some better players without a club are getting a bit anxious as the end of the window approaches.
    Bowyer said the wage cap is the challenge - I guess it's about trying to get the best players for the least money.

The perfect scenario. The market is moving  in our favour and Gallen/Bowyer are working through a new list of better quality players.

That'll do for me.
    Bows and Co have been very good at waiting to pick up the best. Yes it comes with risks, risks we will never know anyway. 
    If I had a criticism of where we are is that our scouting is so limited. With the EEC on its way out there is the whole African and Asian markets to look at.

That said, I don’t care who they sign as I know it will be the best we could get.
  • Surely we should just sign who we want to get out of this league, go over the cap and take the fine on the chin?
    Not that easy, the EFL have warned of ‘serious consequences for intentional misconduct.’
  • MattF said:
    Surely we should just sign who we want to get out of this league, go over the cap and take the fine on the chin?
    Not that easy, the EFL have warned of ‘serious consequences for intentional misconduct.’
    Especially if any part of that Club is called: Charlton!!
  • Just a shame we've lost 2 games on the bounce with this dilemma so I don't think we should be trying to pick huge positives. It's not a great situation.
  • MattF said:
    How long will this wage cap hold? Seems mad to have the same cap regardless of turnover etc
    Are the PFA still mounting a legal challenge against it or not I wonder
    It's the players union. You would have thought that they all would be hammering down their door & asking them to do something about it.

Just reading Bows comments after tonight's game - think the players need to be putting real pressure on the PFA saying that lower league clubs now don't have the capacity to pay x, even if they want to. 
  • Sponsored links:

• A wage cap is on paper a good idea, but really it needs every decision to similarly cap their wages, or we're going to end up with a situation that if a player does well in league one by January that team has no chance of keeping that player. A one size fits all approach is just ludicrous as well, galling that other teams get to dictate how little we can spend.
  • Bowyer: Before this game we would've been offered this and that player. Now I'll speak with Steve Gallen and we'll have been offered 10 more players. Let's not rush into anything...we've got to make the right decisions.

Sorry Lee, but some fans think you're a liar and just want you to sign someone/anyone.
    They aren't interested if you're trying to make the right decisions.
    Rush, panic, don't think and plan just sign someone.  :smile:
    I feel someone's having a dig at me......1🤔
  • Hopefully this wage cap will make players see sense. 99% of EFL players don't need an agent. The PFA offer free agency services if a player wants somebody to negotiate on their behalf when it comes to transfers and contract renewals. In the past agents fee simply didn't effect players, now, with the cap, every penny that goes to an agent is a penny out of their combined pockets.
  • Right having been out of the loop on this for a while, how did this Danish lad signing come about. Dreisen still not scouting for us his he, as he seems a little left field?

(this is not to say he won't be good, far from it - obviously it's just not *that* common that a player from the Danish leagues ends up over here). 
  • Right having been out of the loop on this for a while, how did this Danish lad signing come about. Dreisen still not scouting for us his he, as he seems a little left field?

(this is not to say he won't be good, far from it - obviously it's just not *that* common that a player from the Danish leagues ends up over here). 
    I'll take a random guess and say it may have something to do with our Danish owner.
    Is he a football scout as well as a rock star ceo? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Not fully convinced that Gallen would have danish top flight/second div strikers on his radar without the influence of someone else. 
  • edited September 2020
    Right having been out of the loop on this for a while, how did this Danish lad signing come about. Dreisen still not scouting for us his he, as he seems a little left field?

I'll take a random guess and say it may have something to do with our Danish owner.
    Is he a football scout as well as a rock star ceo? 
    See 4 posts up. 
  • Only at Charlton could we get a rich happy owner and encounter a fucking wage cap 
    Fucked by getting relegated that should have gone to a team that.......yes, you guessed it.....cheated by signing high waged players. You couldnt make it up. 
    I know it seems frustrating when you think of it like that but I keep justifying it in my head by thinking that we wouldn’t have been taken over by TS if we’d stayed up - Roland would have overvalued. 
  • Surely we should just sign who we want to get out of this league, go over the cap and take the fine on the chin?
    Us football fans are such a bunch of hypocrites, a different breed.

We spend years protesting against the EFL, they need to get a grip on the finances and wages to stop clubs going bust.

The EFL introduce a wage cap in the middle of a pandemic and the first thing some of us fans do is try and work a way round it, or say to just ignore it (me included).
    But it's not been thought out properly. I'm all for a wage cap, but balanced against profits or turnover, not just some figure picked out of the air. 

Surely if you filled out your 40,000 stadium you are in a better position to pay a player £x than a club who only gets a 4,000 gate. You could cap the wage at 50% turnover or a% of gate receipts. Instead its come down to the lowest common denominator. 

We are especially hampered as we have been under a transfer embargo & so unable to bring in players BEFORE the wage cap came in. We were lucky to be able to sign Gilbey & Washington (and that was because we forced the EFL's hand) as well as renewing Williams contract. We have started this season with one hand tied behind our backs. At the very least the EFL should have given us a week or two's grace before it applying to us.

I agree apart from the last line.
    My point is even if the cap was as you describe, some of us football fans, would still be looking for a way round it.
  • I’m sure it’s been answered many times but when does the window close as far as we are concerned, is it 5th Oct?
  • @flyingkiwiDK are you putting the delay on announcing Schwartz deal down to us waiting for TS to arrive from US