Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours 2020 (DEADLINE DAY from pg.258)

Comments

• mendonca said:
    I wouldn't be surprised to see teams at our level looking abroad a bit more under the cap. Now that a player can comfortably make a lot more money sitting on the bench for a Championship side or face taking a massive pay cut compared to their previous salary I think we'll see more work going into finding good players in leagues that have never been able to pay as much. We've lost our advantage compared to teams around us so we might just have to take advantage of poorer leagues. It's not ideal given it's always a gamble, but teams might not have a lot of other choice
    I'm convinced clubs will find a way around it. Wouldn't surprise if we suddenly saw a new foreign signings wife/family member employed as a translator, Josh Cullen's girlfriend employed in an office role, Maddison's Dad employed as a consultant. 

If you're buying a striker for 500k and giving him a 2 year deal, could you not agree that the deal will instead be 750k and pay the player extra 250k in wages over the course of his contract? 

Must be ways to get creative. TS needs to get Freshfields on the case.
    I very much doubt most clubs will operate using principles of the Matt Southall school of Management Accounting. 
    Many won't as most of the division won't have issues staying with the cap, but i'm sure some clubs will try and find a way around it.
    Cawley said that’s unlikely to happen when I suggested something similar yesterday.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    I'm pleased most everyone are content to wait for the right players, rather than sign the wrong players.
    43 games to go.
    Bowyer's always tried to go for quality rather than just average players - and has been prepared to wait.
    Signing Beilik and Cullen on loan just in time before the window closed springs to mind.

And as you say, 43 games to go. Almost the whole season left. Bowyer's still planning for promotion, you bet.

That's true, I remember panicking throughout January. Thank god we managed to get Davis, Smith and McGeady in though otherwise we would really have struggled. 
    Nothing like a transfer embargo that nobody knew about at the time, is there?

It was said in jest although I have to say I disagree with you. I don't think you can say Bowyer has always waited for quality rather than rushing. 

To be clear, I'm not blaming him in the slightest because of the circumstances surrounding each of the windows. But apart from the first, with Bielik and Cullen as you mention, I don't see any evidence that Bowyer has patiently waited for the right player. In the second, RD gave him nothing so he ended up signing Parker out of desperation. Last summer again he had nothing so we were missing out on players because of desirory wage offers, ending up with players like Hemed and Kayal. Then in January we had to wait until deadline day to sign pretty much anyone with two legs. 

Like I said, the blame is put entirely on others such as RD and Southall but I don't think you can confidently say Bowyer has patiently waited to sign the right player. He's been left with no choice in pretty much every window with mixed results. I do still have faith in Gallen and Bowyer, their first transfer window was a big success and with more of a budget I trust them to build a competitive squad. 
    I don't think that observation is correct in relation to Parker. The thing was, Bowyer was waiting on a player but with the window about to close, Parker was signed as a form of insurance in case that went wrong. It would have been impossible to move on to another target afterwards.

As it turned out, despite not scoring, Parker did play an important part in our promotion.
    I think it is. Like you say Bowyer had another target. It didn't work out so he had to get someone quick. Irrelevant how well Parker did (and I don't want to start that debate again) but I think it was quite obvious that we signed him because we needed a body through the door. Bowyer certainly didn't patiently wait for Gillingham to change their stance on him, he became a target on deadline day. 
  • I'll get in first, today is the day..... 

Not ITK just one day closer to friday :smile: nearly the weekend! 
  • edited October 2020
    Not ITK in the slightest, but think we'll have at least 1 in today, possibly 2.

We'll see 
  • Not ITK in the slightest, but think we'll have at least 1 in today
    Would hope so! if TS is back in the building today that could coincide with a signing or 2. Would make sense..
  • All this is galling when you hear Wednesday offering 25k towards a loan players wages.
  • Schwartz?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2020
    Scoham said:
    Schwartz?
    Maddison maybe as it could tie in with his Instagram post

Or you've got Koiki which ties in with the Peter O'Rourke twitter post
  • MattF said:
    Scoham said:
    Schwartz?

Would Koiki be a significant signing though, no offence to him?
    Def not 
  • Not sure Koiki or Danish striker would be ‘significant’, Maddison maybe.
  • I wouldn't be surprised to see teams at our level looking abroad a bit more under the cap. Now that a player can comfortably make a lot more money sitting on the bench for a Championship side or face taking a massive pay cut compared to their previous salary I think we'll see more work going into finding good players in leagues that have never been able to pay as much. We've lost our advantage compared to teams around us so we might just have to take advantage of poorer leagues. It's not ideal given it's always a gamble, but teams might not have a lot of other choice
    I'm convinced clubs will find a way around it. Wouldn't surprise if we suddenly saw a new foreign signings wife/family member employed as a translator, Josh Cullen's girlfriend employed in an office role, Maddison's Dad employed as a consultant. 

If you're buying a striker for 500k and giving him a 2 year deal, could you not agree that the deal will instead be 750k and pay the player extra 250k in wages over the course of his contract? 

Must be ways to get creative. TS needs to get Freshfields on the case.
    Being creative is what got Saracens relegated from the rugby premiership.

The cap is on the operating costs of the club.
    Would hope so! if TS is back in the building today that could coincide with a signing or 2. Would make sense..
    He's back tomorrow.
  • edited October 2020
    Scoham said:
    Schwartz?

I reckon it will be Matthews. (Adam not Bernard or His daughter Shannon)
  • edited October 2020
    Basically there is a good chance of a significant signing today; Rich Cawley
  • Sponsored links:

He's only just travelling today! Give him a chance, he'll arrive tomorrow.
  • Basically there is a good chance of a significant signing today; Rich Cawley
    And not aware that Tommy S is getting "hands on" with transfers or the announcement thereof.
  • edited October 2020
    Basically there is a good chance of a significant signing today; Rich Cawley
    Real helpful, i can see Rich Cawley so assumed as much but still none the wiser smart ars
    Thats what he said, I simply wrote a summary of the tweets rather than copy and paste the wording from each...

I added the Rich Cawley bit as didnt think you'd even be able to see who it was from
  • Not sure Koiki or Danish striker would be ‘significant’, Maddison maybe.
    I'd say the top scorer from the Danish league leaving their champions to come to a league one team is fairly significant.
    This. His pedigree is considerably higher than Maddison in my opinion. Also our need for a goalscorer is greater than that of an attacking midfielder.
  • Think it’s Schwartz. Rumours he’s been signed already for a few days now but not announced for administration reasons. If those rumours are to be believed then it’s most likely to be RS today. Not itk but I think Maddison is unlikely. I suspect a Championship club will pick him up. 
  • Think it’s Schwartz. Rumours he’s been signed already for a few days now but not announced for administration reasons. If those rumours are to be believed then it’s most likely to be RS today. Not itk but I think Maddison is unlikely. I suspect a Championship club will pick him up. 
    Wouldn't say Maddison is unlikely tbh, think Bows could be a big selling point for him. Hasn't proved himself above League 1 level yet.