Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

PlayStation 5 or XBOX Series X

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:
    The S won't be much of an upgrade, loading times aside. 

Graphics will be better but still 1080, so not sure it's worth making that the main console.
    It's 1440p isn't it?
    Apologies you're right, like the PS4 Pro it's marginally better than the PS4, but behind the full next gen experience. 
  • Imagine the look on a hardcore Sony fanboys face when they open a new FO or Elder Scrolls game and an Xbox/Microsoft Studios logo pops up, it's gonna sting! 
    Is that battle still ongoing?
  • From what I can see most people don't give a fuck about stuff like that anymore, and tbh they're going separate ways in the future with Microsoft focusing on cloud gaming and software and Sony sticking with hardware
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Imagine the look on a hardcore Sony fanboys face when they open a new FO or Elder Scrolls game and an Xbox/Microsoft Studios logo pops up, it's gonna sting! 
    The console war's?

Not for me personally as Xbox and PS are going in different directions and I'm not sure they can really be at war with such different views on where they each think the future of gaming is going.

Sony want you to upgrade to the latest hardware and games etc while Xbox look to be now all about getting subscribers and don't seem too fussed if you play on Series X/S, One X, PC or Phone, as long as you have gamepass they're happy. If I could afford both I would get both, it would mean more games to play which is ultimately a good thing.

I watch quite a few gaming channels on YouTube and the comments show that the fanboys on both sides seem intent on keeping the console war's a thing for as long as they can even if to us normal gamers it's a not even a thing.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Graphics will be better but still 1080, so not sure it's worth making that the main console.
    It's 1440p isn't it?
    Apologies you're right, like the PS4 Pro it's marginally better than the PS4, but behind the full next gen experience. 
    My main issue with the S is the 500gb SSD. It's nowhere near enough for modern gaming and they're charging £150 for the 1TB expansion card 
  • edited September 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

It's 1440p isn't it?
    My main issue with the S is the 500gb SSD. It's nowhere near enough for modern gaming and they're charging £150 for the 1TB expansion card 
    Wow! That's a pisstake! A regular 1tb SSD is £80 something locked to one use imo should be less.
  • I was looking up info on the ssd thing as I've got a 4tb hard hard drive 3/4 full and you can plug it in to the console and play your games as before along with saving new "regular" Xbox games, the issue is any game that is "optimised for Series X/S" can only be saved on the internal ssd or expansion card.

Only 500gb and then charging over the top for an additional card is as Dazzler says a piss take especially when pretty much all new games from back end of next year will be optimised for the Series consoles and cost £70!!!
  • So that's why the Series S can be sold so cheap, the expansion is ridiculously expensive and it doesn't run at 4k.

What's the point in it, other than to say it's the cheapest new gen console?!
  • sam3110 said:
    So that's why the Series S can be sold so cheap, the expansion is ridiculously expensive and it doesn't run at 4k.

My guess is it's for people who love PS and Nintendo. It's a lot easier to convince them to spend £250 to play the next Fable/Halo/Forza game than getting them to spend £450
  • sam3110 said:
    So that's why the Series S can be sold so cheap, the expansion is ridiculously expensive and it doesn't run at 4k.

It's next gen loading speeds, smaller than the rest and cheaper too.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2020
    I was looking up info on the ssd thing as I've got a 4tb hard hard drive 3/4 full and you can plug it in to the console and play your games as before along with saving new "regular" Xbox games, the issue is any game that is "optimised for Series X/S" can only be saved on the internal ssd or expansion card.

Only 500gb and then charging over the top for an additional card is as Dazzler says a piss take especially when pretty much all new games from back end of next year will be optimised for the Series consoles and cost £70!!!
    I have a 4tb too, not SSD though do expect that loading times will be much slower on PS5.

Current one works on XBox One too.

But yeah, fudge right off £150! I paid £75 for my 4tb expansion card. (£100 normally)
  • Dazzler21 said:
    sam3110 said:

It's next gen loading speeds, smaller than the rest and cheaper too.
    The smaller thing is a bit of a red herring, people that into consoles don't really care about the size of it that much, you'll always make room. Next gen loading speeds are pointless if the game looks like a potato because it's running at basic HD, the PS5 and Xbox Series X are both capable of running at 8k (not that they will be used at that by the vast majority of players) and again the cheaper thing, there is life in current gen, why not buy a Xbox One X or PS4 Pro which will play almost every game anyway and be a lot cheaper, I don't get the point 
  • Plus the whole cloud gaming route Xbox are looking at on-board storage might not be a massive issue in a couple of years time.

I expect there are a lot of casual gamers out there who don't have 4k TVs either so 1080 isn't a problem and also how many parents will be looking to get their kids a new console this Christmas, see the £250  price tag Vs £499 and just get it without even looking at specs etc.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Imagine the look on a hardcore Sony fanboys face when they open a new FO or Elder Scrolls game and an Xbox/Microsoft Studios logo pops up, it's gonna sting! 

Honestly, when I read your posts earlier on this thread I thought very much so. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I was looking up info on the ssd thing as I've got a 4tb hard hard drive 3/4 full and you can plug it in to the console and play your games as before along with saving new "regular" Xbox games, the issue is any game that is "optimised for Series X/S" can only be saved on the internal ssd or expansion card.

I have a 4tb too, not SSD though do expect that loading times will be much slower on PS5.

Current one works on XBox One too.

But yeah, fudge right off £150! I paid £75 for my 4tb expansion card. (£100 normally)
    Appreciate it seems a lot but suspect you'll want to invest eventually if going down that route. The bandwidth on the ssds being used in these systems are fckn quick, generally between 10 to 15 times quicker than the ssd you're likely to have. 150quid isn't actually too bad. The latest gen coming out very soon are approx 200 for 1tb.

It's about making it initially affordable I think. Charge what they do with the storage provided and sell a load or lob another 1tb at it and charge 150quid more and most likely sell a lot less.
  • edited September 2020
    Chunes said:

Most worrying part is how many development studios Microsoft have bought and shut down.

Lion head were huge, and they're gone thanks to MS.

• Peter Molyneux had more to do with Lionhead shutting than Microsoft. Although Fable 2 was class, Populous remains the best game he ever produced. 

I would think the buyout of Zenimax Media is down to the lack of decent first party games on xbox. Even at $7.5 billion. it is cheaper and more likely to produce a return than trying to launch new IPs. 
  • Peter Molyneux had more to do with Lionhead shutting than Microsoft. Although Fable 2 was class, Populous remains the best game he ever produced. 

I would think the buyout of Zenimax Media is down to the lack of decent first party games on xbox. Even at $7.5 billion. it is cheaper and more likely to produce a return than trying to launch new IPs. 
    Seems a desperate move by Microsoft to up the number of first party games as you say.

IF Fallout76 had been released by Microsoft, I am certain that Bethesda/Zenimax would have been shut down though. They don't like to be embarrassed. 
  • Found this quite interesting: https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/09/22/sony-literally-cannot-match-microsofts-massive-bethesda-deal-nor-do-they-need-to/#2c43969f5cc6

TLDR; The success of Gamepass is going to be a much bigger worry for Sony than this acquisition 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2020
    Found this quite interesting: https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/09/22/sony-literally-cannot-match-microsofts-massive-bethesda-deal-nor-do-they-need-to/#2c43969f5cc6

TLDR; The success of Gamepass is going to be a much bigger worry for Sony than this acquisition 
    Gamepass is DL only right? If i'm correct the new XBOX Studios games release on time, but is mainly older games. (Up to 250/300 games at the moment I believe)

People seem to forget Playstation Now.
    PSNow allows streaming and downloading. It has a massive library (Over 800 games). I'd probably describe it as a budget GamePass/Stadia blend type of experience.

I think the MS Studios New Releases bit is the key pro of Game Pass.

PSNow has the much larger library and the option to stream a game either to play it in total or to test it before downloading really are fantastic benefits. 

PSNow Doesn't require Playstation Plus either from what I can recall (I have PS+ so can't remember).

Does Gamepass demand you have XBox Gold? From memory it is included (Which IMO is a big benefit).

Could be a truly interesting step in gaming if PSNow add the PS Studios games on release. 

• So with Microsoft buying Bethesda, the automatic assumption is that future Bethesda games will be Xbox exclusives.  Obviously that might be true from a consoles point of view, but I'm not sure that it would be a good idea to upset Bethesda's PC customers.  I have a PC and a PS4 (soon to be PS5) and would never buy an Xbox because if there is a game that's not available on PS that I particularly want, I buy it on PC.  I'm not sure MS will increase their Xbox customer base by a great deal if that is their strategy in purchasing Bethesda.

It's probably a good idea to state that I'm not a Bethesda fan for the most part.  I don't own any of their games on PS4 and the only game of theirs I play on PC on a regular basis is Rocksmith 2014.
  • So with Microsoft buying Bethesda, the automatic assumption is that future Bethesda games will be Xbox exclusives.  Obviously that might be true from a consoles point of view, but I'm not sure that it would be a good idea to upset Bethesda's PC customers.  I have a PC and a PS4 (soon to be PS5) and would never buy an Xbox because if there is a game that's not available on PS that I particularly want, I buy it on PC.  I'm not sure MS will increase their Xbox customer base by a great deal if that is their strategy in purchasing Bethesda.

It's probably a good idea to state that I'm not a Bethesda fan for the most part.  I don't own any of their games on PS4 and the only game of theirs I play on PC on a regular basis is Rocksmith 2014.
    They might deprive PS players, but can't see why they would do the same to PC users - they'll be aware that that is also a big chunk of the market, and realistically I don't think PC sales affects their Console game sales. However, if you were an avid Bethesda, or even Skyrim/Fallout fan and were on the fence, only being able to buy the next Elder Scrolls on xbox will definitely sway a lot of people.
  • Gamepass has been really good value for me, I was never really a big gamer, the original Xbox One is my only console and I would probably play 3 maybe 4 games a year and they would all be 2nd hand from CEX,

I got Gamepass in December when they did the first 3 months for £1 and I also got EA Play for £20, so, so far this year I've spent about £85 on the pair and off the top of my head I've played, Battlefield 1&5, Ori 1&2, 2 Halo games Mad Max, LOTR Shadow of War, Hellblade, Sniper Elite 4, Rise and Shadow of the Tomb Raider plus my son has played hours of Forza and FIFA and I've downloaded Witcher 3 and Batman Arkham Trilogy I'm yet to start, now granted other than the latest Ori they are all at least 2 years old but I doubt I could have bought them all for less than the cost of Gamepass and if I didn't have Gamepass I probably wouldn't have played 90% of them.

Out of the 200 or so games on Gamepass currently I've only heard of about 20 I reckon and the library is mostly indie and old games but with every game previewd at the last showcase along with every new Microsoft studio game coming to Gamepass the day of release as long as they don't up the price massively the next 2 years is where the real value will be.

Xbox live gold is only included in Gamepass ultimate, I don't think it's needed with Gamepass for PC but if you get Gamepass for console only you will need to get live gold ontop, I think they will end up ditching live gold and console only gamepass in favour of just having ultimate and PC,  I don't think you should have to pay extra for multiplayer and other online stuff, I'm pretty my son doesn't pay extra to play online on his PS4. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Found this quite interesting: https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/09/22/sony-literally-cannot-match-microsofts-massive-bethesda-deal-nor-do-they-need-to/#2c43969f5cc6

Gamepass is DL only right? If i'm correct the new XBOX Studios games release on time, but is mainly older games. (Up to 250/300 games at the moment I believe)

PSNow allows streaming and downloading. It has a massive library (Over 800 games). I'd probably describe it as a budget GamePass/Stadia blend type of experience.

PSNow has the much larger library and the option to stream a game either to play it in total or to test it before downloading really are fantastic benefits. 

PSNow Doesn't require Playstation Plus either from what I can recall (I have PS+ so can't remember).

Does Gamepass demand you have XBox Gold? From memory it is included (Which IMO is a big benefit).

Could be a truly interesting step in gaming if PSNow add the PS Studios games on release. 

I didn't realise PS Now had so many games. They do a pretty shit job of marketing it. 
  • edited September 2020
    Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:

I didn't realise PS Now had so many games. They do a pretty shit job of marketing it. 
    I just had a look and saw you can download the games now? I thought it was a streaming only service when I tried it last year?

Isn't this basically the same as Game Pass?

When I tried it as a streaming service the input delay made games unplayable for me

You can play XBOX GamePass on PC
  • Dazzler21 said:

Gamepass does include older titles correct and obviously the exclusives being free is their biggest pitch, but also now including EAPlay (formerly EA Access) is a big plus over PSNow imo, 10 hour trials before release of every EA game, discounts for microtransactions if you're that way inclined, and EA's back catalouge of games, ( If i remember rightly they usually hit the vault around 9/10 months after original release) Gamepass doesn't require gold as it's a separate cost (similar to PSNow i believe?)  But i think for this next generation it's all going to be under one roof so you're getting both for one cost but that may be incorrect I haven't double checked it.

I've dabbled in PSNow but it never really made sense for me as the xbox one was my primary console, but as previously stated they have done a poor job at making casuals aware to a point I forgot of it's existence until reading your post!
  • edited September 2020
    Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:

I just had a look and saw you can download the games now? I thought it was a streaming only service when I tried it last year?

Isn't this basically the same as Game Pass?

When I tried it as a streaming service the input delay made games unplayable for me
    Same issue that Stadia had. With the inclusion of DL's it is a comparable option to Game Pass. 

Main difference is that PS Studios games don't currently release at the same time on Now whereas game pass will. 

I'm gonna give PSNow a spin over the next few months and see how it feels.