Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent Cricket 2020

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Had his moments but was one of many similar players during his time some of whom were better at it.

I wish him all the best.
    Unfortunately for all of the young allrounders that have been in the club over the past few years  , Stevo hasnt showed any signs of his powers diminishing !!
  • Options
    Seb played for the Kent Academy today against Middlesex in what was meant to be a 50 over a side game. He came in at 6 with the score on 54-4 which soon became 54-5 when his partner departed. 

Kent eventually made 160 all out off 32 and Seb top scored with 41. Middlesex knocked them off for the loss of 4 wickets in 31 overs (Seb took 3 catches keeping).

Due to the early finish they then played a T10. Kent managed a decent 90-4 (Seb 8 not out). Well we thought it was decent 'til the Middlesex batsmen set about our bowling and got them off 6 overs for the loss of just 2 wickets.

Still an enjoyable day out in the sun at the County Ground Beckenham and at least I can say I saw Kent play this season - even if it wasn't the 1st Team
    The above game was part of a four week trial. We've just had confirmation that Seb has made the 2020/21 Kent U18 squad of 14 which is good news. Another wicket keeper/batsman hoping to make it (not much competition in that department!!!) although as Paul Downton put it, when he spoke to me last week, they are not called keeper/batsman anymore - they are batsman that keep. A subtle difference but a reflection nevertheless of how the game has moved on from the days of Bob Taylor for those of us that remember him!
    Congratulations a fine achievement 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Had his moments but was one of many similar players during his time some of whom were better at it.

I wish him all the best.
    Unfortunately for all of the young allrounders that have been in the club over the past few years  , Stevo hasnt showed any signs of his powers diminishing !!
    And Grant Stewart is another all rounder.

In white ball cricket, far more of our batsmen are now able to bowl now, which in T20 cricket means you need fewer full time bowlers. Denly would be classed as an all rounder, while DBD and Blake are also bowling options
  • Options
    been emailed to vote for Kent player of the year. If England performances counted it would go to Crawley but as this should be for Kent performances I am not sure who to vote for. 
    What I can't find anywhere are our batting and bowling figures and averages. Can anybody point me to them please? 
  • Options
    https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/thomas-departs-from-kent-cricket/

Ivan the next player to be released. Someone on this board predicted Ivan and Calum would be let go
  • Options

Ivan the next player to be released. Someone on this board predicted Ivan and Calum would be let go
    As Downton said in the article Ivan was unlucky with injuries.

A shame as he may have kicked on if he'd been able to have a run at it. I saw him bowl and look quite hostile but, as with Haggett, others were at a similar level and better batsmen than Ivan which tips the balance their way everything else being equal.
  • Options

I did but only because I'd read a month ago that it had been revealed during lockdown. This means that we have now lost Rouse, Dickson, Haggett and Thomas. It remains to be seen whether Kuhn will still be with us because, if he is, I believe that he will count as one of our two overseas players next season. This means that, including Blake who has a white ball contract only and Kuhn, we currently have a 19 man squad:

Sam Billings
    Daniel Bell-Drummond
    Alex Blake (white ball)
    Zac Crawley (centrally contracted) 
    Joe Denly
    Heino Kuhn???
    Jack Leaning
    Jordan Cox
    Ollie Robinson
    Marcus O'Riordan
    Hamidullah Qadri
    Imran Qayyum
    Nathan Gilchrist
    Matt Milnes
    Tim Groenewald
    Harry Podmore
    Darren Stevens
    Fred Klaassen
    Grant Stewart

• Options

I did but only because I'd read a month ago that it had been revealed during lockdown. This means that we have now lost Rouse, Dickson, Haggett and Thomas. It remains to be seen whether Kuhn will still be with us because, if he is, I believe that he will count as one of our two overseas players next season. This means that, including Blake who has a white ball contract only and Kuhn, we currently have a 19 man squad:

Sam Billings
    Daniel Bell-Drummond
    Alex Blake (white ball)
    Zac Crawley (centrally contracted) 
    Joe Denly
    Heino Kuhn???
    Jack Leaning
    Jordan Cox
    Ollie Robinson
    Marcus O'Riordan
    Hamidullah Qadri
    Imran Qayyum
    Nathan Gilchrist
    Matt Milnes
    Tim Groenewald
    Harry Podmore
    Darren Stevens
    Fred Klaassen
    Grant Stewart

It's a tough call to make on Kuhn, as we don't know how Covid will impact next summer. Will overseas players want to come to the UK, and what schedules will say New Zealand have, if we want Henry and Milne back?

Sad to lose our last home grown pace bowler, if only we could field a team with 4 wicket keepers and 1 bowler we'd be fine  :D
  • Options
    redman said:
    been emailed to vote for Kent player of the year. If England performances counted it would go to Crawley but as this should be for Kent performances I am not sure who to vote for. 
    What I can't find anywhere are our batting and bowling figures and averages. Can anybody point me to them please? 
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_County_Cricket_Club_in_2020

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    redman said:
    @MrOneLung
    thanks. has to be Stevo then 29 wickets in 5 matches at less than 16 apiece is pretty decent in any scenario
    DBD must be in with a shout too, wasn't he the highest T20 scorer in the competition?
  • Options

Think there could be a lot of county cricketers being released this year . 

Kent may be running a lean squad over the winter to save costs. 

Any academy kids been offered contracts this year ? 
  • Options

I think I heard that something like 120 players across the counties will be released and I can't see us recruiting any 'til we know exactly how the land lies from a Covid perspective. 

I'm not aware of any academy boys being offered contracts - typically we've produced an average of one pro a year for the last 13 years but these tend to come in waves. Cox (19), Robinson (21), Crawley (22) and O'Riordan (22) recently but then you have to jump five years to DBD (27), Cowdrey (27), Ball (27), Riley (28), Billings (29), Thomas (29), Coles (30), Northeast (30) and Blake (31).

That said, with such a small squad and the advent of the 100, it would not surprise me if we didn't even have to call on the odd Academy boy on occasions. Billings, Blake, Denly and Crawley are all likely to be missing and that leaves us with just DBD, Kuhn, Cox, Leaning and Robinson from the batting perspective and that, once again, assumes that Kuhn is around and that none of the other four are injured.
  • Options

I think I heard that something like 120 players across the counties will be released and I can't see us recruiting any 'til we know exactly how the land lies from a Covid perspective. 

I'm not aware of any academy boys being offered contracts - typically we've produced an average of one pro a year for the last 13 years but these tend to come in waves. Cox (19), Robinson (21), Crawley (22) and O'Riordan (22) recently but then you have to jump five years to DBD (27), Cowdrey (27), Ball (27), Riley (28), Billings (29), Thomas (29), Coles (30), Northeast (30) and Blake (31).

That said, with such a small squad and the advent of the 100, it would not surprise me if we didn't even have to call on the odd Academy boy on occasions. Billings, Blake, Denly and Crawley are all likely to be missing and that leaves us with just DBD, Kuhn, Cox, Leaning and Robinson from the batting perspective and that, once again, assumes that Kuhn is around and that none of the other four are injured.
    I'm sure DBD will get a 100 place too

If they still go ahead with the plan to play the 50 over tournament at the same time as the 100, the county squads for the 50 over matches will be the equivalent of the teams we put out for 1st round EFL Cup matches! 
  • Options
    redman said:
    @MrOneLung
    thanks. has to be Stevo then 29 wickets in 5 matches at less than 16 apiece is pretty decent in any scenario
    DBD must be in with a shout too, wasn't he the highest T20 scorer in the competition?
    Did well in 20/20 but his first class average was 23! 
  • Options

If they still go ahead with the plan to play the 50 over tournament at the same time as the 100, the county squads for the 50 over matches will be the equivalent of the teams we put out for 1st round EFL Cup matches! 
    And I would still rather go to Canterbury to watch Kent than anywhere to watch the silly competition!
  • Options

The selection for the 100 is just another mad thing. The way that test players were first up for grabs so players who are completely unsuited to the shorter formats get picked before the likes of DBD who has a much better record in the shorter format than say Burns who has been selected for 2 100 teams now. The same Burns who only gets in Surreys T20 team when we have a huge number of injuries. How he is supposed to be first pick for a team in a smaller and supposedly better quality competition. Weird.
  • Options
    redman said:
    redman said:
    @MrOneLung
    Did well in 20/20 but his first class average was 23! 
    But then Stevo didn't play in the Blast at all!
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/54379317

Mitch Claydon banned for 9 games for ball tampering...with hand sanitiser!

That's what happens when a previously morally impeccable person is forced to play for Sussex  :D
    That's ruled him out of next season then. Might even be career ending!!!
    As a result of Claydon's "ball tampering" Sussex have had 24 points deducted from this season's Bob Willis Trophy total. So it's not going to make one bit of a difference to them. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

That's what happens when a previously morally impeccable person is forced to play for Sussex  :D
    As a result of Claydon's "ball tampering" Sussex have had 24 points deducted from this season's Bob Willis Trophy total. So it's not going to make one bit of a difference to them. 
    A pointless punishment really
  • Options
    Still don't get this 'hundred' bollocks.

I mean, do we really need a new format of the game (and all the costly branding and administration costs that it entails) that is only twenty balls less than a TTwenty format?  '120 deliveries? boring! 100 deliveries? now you're talking!'

What is it with the numbskulls that run the game?
    Spot on.
    It's utter bollox 
  • Options

A pointless punishment really
    A different sport, but sounds familiar
  • Options
    From last night's YouTube 2020 Awards:

Paul Downton confirmed that we have 18 red ball players plus Blake for white ball (listed above) and that we may not have an overseas player given the current circumstances and financial constraints. He would prefer to invest any money in this group.

Matt Walker says that we played some outstanding cricket but the next goal for this group is to win something. Three players representing England during the summer plus Robinson and Milnes for the Young Lions was brilliant.

Women's Awards:

Club Player of the Year - Sarah Bryce
    Player's Player - Megan Belt
    Batter - Sarah Bryce
    Bowler - Megan Belt
    Fielder - Kalea Moore

Men's Awards:

Club Player of the Year - Darren Stevens
    T20 Player of the Season - Daniel Bell-Drummond
    Player's Player - Zac Crawley
    Batter - Daniel Bell-Drummond
    Bowler - Darren Stevens
    Fielder - Jordan Cox
    Emerging Player - Marcus O'Riordan

Moment of the Season - Jack Leaning & Jordan Cox for their record partnership of 423 against Sussex

There was a nice section at the end mentioning and talking to the players who are leaving us including Adam Rouse who told us that he is opening his own gym

Link for those who wish to watch it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ewiUDaSp3s&feature=youtu.be
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    There is a podcast just released featuring Asif Iqbal, John Shepherd, Alan Ealham and Norman Graham and for those of us who were around in the 70s it brings back some great memories. I watched it via Facebook but can't see it listed on the Kent website hence I can't post a link from there. Here is the Facebook link:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=675186156483905&ref=watch_permalink

John Shepherd mentions that Derek Underwood isn't very well at the moment. I wish him all the very best in tackling this.
  • Options
    Just watched the Podcast - thanks for sharing. Great era for Kent cricket, when we were the top one day team, along with Lancashire.

Has anybody got an update on the health situation of deadly?
  • Options
    Both Cox and Robinson have signed contracts until the end of 2023
    Good news and pleased for them both - especially Ollie as he and his family have been friends of ours for longer than he has been alive! They are 20 and 22 respectively and with Billings we must have the most depth of any county in the keeper/batsman department.

On the flip side, as a result of this news, Seb has decided to resurrect his career as a leg spinner!!!  
  • Options
    Both Cox and Robinson have signed contracts until the end of 2023
    Good news and pleased for them both - especially Ollie as he and his family have been friends of ours for longer than he has been alive! They are 20 and 22 respectively and with Billings we must have the most depth of any county in the keeper/batsman department.

On the flip side, as a result of this news, Seb has decided to resurrect his career as a leg spinner!!!  
    Tell him to bowl fast, Kent are terrible at producing pace bowlers!