Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ESI: Thoughts so far?

Comments

• edited January 2020
    We aren’t rich. And who said we were? 
    Who owns the Valley? 
    And of course after all the shit some supporters put Rols through do you think he would sign a deal that protected the club or F it up... 
    I don’t think Roland gives a toss as long as he gets money ... it’s all that motivates him ... ohh, and disco dancing  ;)
  • edited January 2020
    More money for Barnsley and Blackburn match coming in .
    No
    Yeah because last season over 17,000 for football for a fiver already sold over 18,000.Plus no Barnsley offer last season where a season ticket holder can bring a friend for free £1.50 booking fee and money spent at the ground.
     exactly

Money spent in the ground goes to the outsourced catering firm.

Club get a booking fee.

But the club loses the £25 some walk up fans would have spent as they can get freebies.

Football for a fiver means the walk up of 2000 to 3000 pays £5 rather than £25.

So overall you get more bodies in but income doesn't increase much, if at all.

I was on the Target 40k group when Football for a Fiver was discussed and introduced.

It's a great idea and it is great for bringing potential new and returning fans in but it doesn't generate much extra income in itself. It's a medium term strategy.

Both initiatives are good and to be applauded but they won't fund a new striker in this window.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Interesting article on the dilemma faced by ESI in this and future transfer windows.

One caveat, Benjy also writes for the OS so the cynical will question his impartiality. I don't BTW

https://medium.com/@benjynurick/transfer-window-from-hell-why-charlton-face-a-january-full-of-toil-bf7728b3504b
    If found this bit intresting, for a number of reasons. 

"The Addicks went from having the smallest budget in the Championship at the start of the season to having an owner who’s net worth outmuscles the vast majority of his peers across the Football League." 

Asuuming HE is the person referenced as the "owner". 

I am not sure how true that is compared to his peers in the championship? 

How relevant is that when you add in parachute money?

RD had more personal wealth, didn't he?

Does it matter if you can't filter it into the club with out breaching FFP?

Also what is ment by the often referenced "smallest budget"?  Is it total wage bill, transfer fees, or a combination of both?  I think we had a higher wage bill than Luton last season. Not saying its right or wrong just asking what the methodology is. 

Jackson and Marshall said at Bromley Addicks earlier in the season that we had the lowest budget. When asked how they know that they replied that everyone in the game knows other teams budgets. They also said the management team was the lowest paid as they'd seen others payslips.

Bowyer has said the same regarding CAFC having the lowest budget.

Benjy also works for the club on, I think, a freelance basis so would have links to the management team.

I am not doubting any of that is true.  But doesn't answer the question of what "budget" means, in this context.

Is it purely total wages, wages they could offer a player, transfer fees, does it include the u23 group, academy spend, total wage bill of the club?

I believe we had the 4th highest wage bill in league 1 last season. Higher than Luton.  I am not being argumentative I just don't know what it means. 
    I don't know the breakdown.

My guess is we had/have very little disposable income as Duchatelet wouldn't allow it.

Barnsley and Luton both sold players for fees and have normal owners.

We also have a big chunk of our budget tied up in wages for Beckensarr.
  • I thought Naby was ‘only’ on 8-10k a week?
  • Henry good points but what about supporters that turn up for the Barnsley and Blackburn matches and pay for a programme or buy something from the club shop.
  • edited January 2020
    Henry good points but what about supporters that turn up for the Barnsley and Blackburn matches and pay for a programme or buy something from the club shop.
    Those things are trivial against full price ticket revenue, in part because of the cost of sale. An extra full price ticket sale costs virtually nothing. Food, merchandise and programmes all have a cost attached which comes off the revenue. An extra £2 average net income per spectator would be generous.
  • Relegation costs up to £7m in lost central and ticket revenue and it will not be offset more than marginally by any conceivable cost-cutting. 

Charlton have been losing targets to other clubs, which makes the argument about paying over the odds a bit moot. The market rate is what other people pay.

i have no doubt Lee will sign his contract and we will see some loans come in to replace those who have gone, but not spending money to give yourself the best chance of staying up makes little business sense, if that money is available. 
    Out of interest what targets have we lost out on to other clubs ?
  • Henry good points but what about supporters that turn up for the Barnsley and Blackburn matches and pay for a programme or buy something from the club shop.

Club shop is outsourced too.

Programmes not but profit, as Airman says, is minimal.

Let's go with AB's £2 per head spend.

If we sold extra programmes etc to an extra 10k fans the club has an extra £20k ( let's ignore tax and costs)

Which player are you suggesting we buy and fund the wages for with that extra £20k?
  • We aren’t rich. And who said we were? 
    Who owns the Valley? 
    And of course after all the shit some supporters put Rols through do you think he would sign a deal that protected the club or F it up... 
    Oh dear.
  • Sponsored links:

• In answer to the original question.

I am puzzled.
    I fully understand that there are strong principles at play here, in that ESI don’t want to be seen to throw money about like confetti and stick to their original game plan of slowly slowly catchee monkey.
    HOWEVER.....that principle will likely be the undoing of us if we are not careful......we need some good new faces through the door and soon. Fate has not been kind to us, no point going over the unbelievable problems we have had and so the safe needs to be opened.
    One or two posters have said we don’t have the sort of money that we were lead to believe.....well I for one believe we have (it’s potentially billions), but the question is are ECI able to source any of it as and when an emergency arises and there is an emergency now....make no mistake.
    If we aren’t careful, we won’t even have a monkey to catch!
  • edited January 2020
    Jamie19 said:
    Relegation costs up to £7m in lost central and ticket revenue and it will not be offset more than marginally by any conceivable cost-cutting. 

Charlton have been losing targets to other clubs, which makes the argument about paying over the odds a bit moot. The market rate is what other people pay.

i have no doubt Lee will sign his contract and we will see some loans come in to replace those who have gone, but not spending money to give yourself the best chance of staying up makes little business sense, if that money is available. 
    Every player who has joined a League One or Championship club who could have improved us we have lost out on. Also players who we got close to and couldn't get over the line I would have thought. 
  • We aren’t rich. And who said we were? 
    Who owns the Valley? 
    Do one!
  • Jamie19 said:
    Relegation costs up to £7m in lost central and ticket revenue and it will not be offset more than marginally by any conceivable cost-cutting. 

Every player who has joined a League One or Championship club who could have improved us we have lost out on. Also players who we got close to and couldn't get over the line I would have thought.
    That’s a sweeping answer, so who have a we actually missed out on? 
  • Jamie19 said:

Quicker to list the ones we’ve beaten other clubs to surely?
  • Jamie19 said:

Rhian Brewster would be one.
  • Rothko said:
    Jamie19 said:

That’s a sweeping answer, so who have a we actually missed out on? 
    I thought it was an obvious one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:
    Btw with Brewster, Liverpool had offers from most of the championship and most of the bottom half of the premier league, using that as a stick to beat ESI is straining to find a reason. they would place him in a system where they can develop the player and trust the style of play. 

Who have we missed out beyond that? 
    People will say we could have signed Gnanduillet and Maddison by now had we been weak with negotiations
  • We missed out on the Chelsea lad, box to box midfielder.
  • edited January 2020
    Ones I think would have helped have been snapped up by Huddersfield - Smith-Rowe  (loan from Arsenal), Andy King (loan from Leicester). Hull got Herbie Kane from Liverpool. Loans would have been a good early window objective. 
  • Having watched the LinkedIn interview (although didnt understand a word of it but enjoyed the red red Robin and back to the valley march) as well as all the instagram pictures etc, I'm sure HE is not going to ruin his reputation and the the Charlton 'project's fail. These guys do not do failure!!.
    Problem is HE has not been into football & probably doesn't know or understand all the nuances of it all. Football is not like your normal business. He might not do "failure" & if so he'll better understand that by Feb 1st that's the end as far as doing anything to the squad......and by March 1st we could be bottom 3 and there would be nothing he could do about it. ESI have 10 days to save our season.
  • edited January 2020
    Rothko said:
    Btw with Brewster, Liverpool had offers from most of the championship and most of the bottom half of the premier league, using that as a stick to beat ESI is straining to find a reason. they would place him in a system where they can develop the player and trust the style of play. 

Who have we missed out beyond that? 
    Unless you believe we haven't been trying to sign players as a matter of urgency then you must presumably accept we have missed out on some. I'm very confident the reason is because we have not been willing to pay the wages and fees even for loans that other clubs have. We have continued to operate to Roland's budget. If you want to believe otherwise that's up to you. 

I do think we'll get some loans in. Look forward to seeing who.
  • Airman didn't Bowyer say we got some backing now so more then an RD budget?.
  • Jamie19 said:

Rhian Brewster would be one.
    Haaland being the other?  Maybe Messi, Ronaldo and the Pope?

For god sake man, not even I would blame ESI for that and it's safe to say I am in the "sceptic until proved other wise camp".

Of course we would be intrested as would 80 odd of the 92.  
  • Having watched the LinkedIn interview (although didnt understand a word of it but enjoyed the red red Robin and back to the valley march) as well as all the instagram pictures etc, I'm sure HE is not going to ruin his reputation and the the Charlton 'project's fail. These guys do not do failure!!.
    Problem is HE has not been into football & probably doesn't know or understand all the nuances of it all. Football is not like your normal business. He might not do "failure" & if so he'll better understand that by Feb 1st that's the end as far as doing anything to the squad......and by March 1st we could be bottom 3 and there would be nothing he could do about it. ESI have 10 days to save our season.
    It's almost like hes crying out for some help, by, say, employing a full-time Chairman who is an ex-footballer and who has several years' experience in negotiating player contracts. 
  • Airman didn't Bowyer say we got some backing now so more then an RD budget?.
    We can all make that judgement at the end of January, I guess.