Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ESI: Thoughts so far?

Comments

• Options
    Airman didn't Bowyer say we got some backing now so more then an RD budget?.
    We can all make that judgement at the end of January, I guess.
    Didn't MS say we wanted green in the summer but now "had the finances" to make it happen? 
  • Options
    Rolands mantra: You bought the wrong club

ESI's mantra: You bought the right club....at the wrong time!
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Btw with Brewster, Liverpool had offers from most of the championship and most of the bottom half of the premier league, using that as a stick to beat ESI is straining to find a reason. they would place him in a system where they can develop the player and trust the style of play. 

Who have we missed out beyond that? 
    Unless you believe we haven't been trying to sign players as a matter of urgency then you must presumably accept we have missed out on some. I'm very confident the reason is because we have not been willing to pay the wages and fees even for loans that other clubs have. We have continued to operate to Roland's budget. If you want to believe otherwise that's up to you. 

I do think we'll get some loans in. Look forward to seeing who.
    So who have we actually missed out on? there’s a load of words, but no names
  • Options
    Not sure if its already been mentioned on here but Bowyer's comments in the Radio London Interview are worrying especially the items I have hi-lighted in bold.

Charlton Athletic boss Lee Bowyer told BBC Radio London:

"We need help, we've got too many kids out there, it's no disrespect to them, they're trying their hardest, but they're not ready for this. I keep saying it and no-one believes me.

"They're not ready to be playing in this division, it's the reality. I'm not saying just them. The senior lads are are all trying but I don't think it's fair on the kids who are playing, but we have no choice.

Does the first comment mean ESI do not believe him and he has to keep playing the kids?

And does the second comment mean he has no choice as we are not going to strengthen? 

• Options
    The proof will be in the pudding and Airman is already alluding to wanky cheapskateness along the Duchatelet levels ....ohhhhhhhh greeeeeat 
  • Options
    Not sure if its already been mentioned on here but Bowyer's comments in the Radio London Interview are worrying especially the items I have hi-lighted in bold.

"We need help, we've got too many kids out there, it's no disrespect to them, they're trying their hardest, but they're not ready for this. I keep saying it and no-one believes me.

"They're not ready to be playing in this division, it's the reality. I'm not saying just them. The senior lads are are all trying but I don't think it's fair on the kids who are playing, but we have no choice.

Does the first comment mean ESI do not believe him and he has to keep playing the kids?

And does the second comment mean he has no choice as we are not going to strengthen? 

No.  And no. 
  • Options
    Having watched the LinkedIn interview (although didnt understand a word of it but enjoyed the red red Robin and back to the valley march) as well as all the instagram pictures etc, I'm sure HE is not going to ruin his reputation and the the Charlton 'project's fail. These guys do not do failure!!.
    We once had a CEO who said that!
  • Options
    Interesting article on the dilemma faced by ESI in this and future transfer windows.

One caveat, Benjy also writes for the OS so the cynical will question his impartiality. I don't BTW

https://medium.com/@benjynurick/transfer-window-from-hell-why-charlton-face-a-january-full-of-toil-bf7728b3504b
      Really good article. Only problem with it is the assumption that our new owners are somehow at the Man city wealth levels.

Nothing we've seen so far suggests they are.
    It does seem unique, that someone with an inside ear seems to imply we are...
  • Options
    Having watched the LinkedIn interview (although didnt understand a word of it but enjoyed the red red Robin and back to the valley march) as well as all the instagram pictures etc, I'm sure HE is not going to ruin his reputation and the the Charlton 'project's fail. These guys do not do failure!!.
    Problem is HE has not been into football & probably doesn't know or understand all the nuances of it all. Football is not like your normal business. He might not do "failure" & if so he'll better understand that by Feb 1st that's the end as far as doing anything to the squad......and by March 1st we could be bottom 3 and there would be nothing he could do about it. ESI have 10 days to save our season.
    I'm sure Gallon, Bowyer and Southall are all aware and wont be shy in telling him whats needed.

Although like you I'm frustrated that it's taking so long to tie up Bowyers contract and lack of signings. My biggest disappointed  is the lack of transparency about the Valley and would have expected Southall to respond to the recent tweets / questions asked.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Genuinely intrested @Airman Brown do your, obviously many, sources ever give you any good news?  You hinted you knew that Bowyer knew about the offer of a 5 year deal before the press conference, but only mentioned it after.

Have any of your sources given you reason to be optimistic about this take over?  You seem to either be wise after the event or negative so far.

If they have, any chance you, could share them? 
  • Options
    We once had a CEO who said that!
    I think it's bit different this time though
  • Options

“We need to bring bodies in, that’s obvious. I know it, Steve Gallen (director of football) knows it and the chairman knows it.”

• Options
    edited January 2020
    If I wasn't for the drugs I'd be getting worried right now. 
    Santa, have you been DBS checked ?
    I had to when I was a football coach/Manager and I only gave the kids a quarter of an orange !
  • Options
    So far this window we've spent far more, net, than if Roland were still in charge
  • Options
    JJ and Bowyer have said we had the 24th budget in the Championship. 
    If this is correct, how does FFP come into play if we go from 24th to say 15th ?
    The club's falling foul of the FFP rules were paying well above anything we pay even if we doubled the wages of every player.
    Rotherham and Burton were both relegated when they were the lowest payers so surely we have to have a certain increase ? 19 days down 12 to go. Becoming quite surreal again.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    It's quite easy to lose more than £13M a season, if we double wages and start spending £5M-£10M a season on transfers.
    I think we used to lose @£7M (£5M-£10M), when we were reasonably prudent and got relegated.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    So I started this thread, whilst drunk, nigh on 24hrs ago.

I've had a good read through and my thoughts to the burning question based on comments:

Not very good.

Which is a shame. It's still early doors so don't lose faith.
    I so wanted this takeover to blow us away. We all did. Can't help but feel ESI have missed the opportunity to score some big wins early on. There's still time. But they're going to have to pull something special out of the hat as we enter a crucial two week period *

*( another one!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's quite easy to lose more than £13M a season, if we double wages and start spending £5M-£10M a season on transfers.
    I think we used to lose @£7M (£5M-£10M), when we were reasonably prudent and got relegated.
    I’ve been saying for a while we were on course to break even this season and Matt Southall said the same thing. There is plenty of FFP headroom.
    Yes of course there is if we carry on in the same vein.
    I'm saying it's quite easy to "lose" £13M if you splash the cash.
    Hypothetically, buy 2 players for £2.5M & there's £5M spent.
    Those players earn £10K pw more than others and there's another £1M.
    Signing on bonuses, a few other £0.5M transfers etc etc.
  • Options
    HE  is always on holiday and is making the climate change.
    MS is always on Twitter without any socks on and trying to be our friend. 
    They frightened Connor and Maddison and made them run away.
    I will judge them when I'm sad in February.

• Options
    Chizz said:
    So far this window we've spent far more, net, than if Roland were still in charge
    And you know that for a fact, yes...?.  We might have brought in Green in this window that (according to MS - and he doesnt lie does he) wasnt affordable in the summer, but do you know for a fact what RD would have let LB spend in this window ? No....I expect no one does. 

I'm just hoping that we dont get relegated by a couple of points as a draw yesterday could be the difference come May.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Interesting article on the dilemma faced by ESI in this and future transfer windows.

One caveat, Benjy also writes for the OS so the cynical will question his impartiality. I don't BTW

https://medium.com/@benjynurick/transfer-window-from-hell-why-charlton-face-a-january-full-of-toil-bf7728b3504b
    Great article and reflects much of what I have been thinking 
    Charlton’s squad reveals the need for substantial reinforcements and a quicker glance at the google search results for “Tahnoon Nimer” will get opposition clubs and agents licking their lips

Depends what floats your boat I suppose but I've had a go and found next to sod all on the geezer.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Really good article. Only problem with it is the assumption that our new owners are somehow at the Man city wealth levels.

Nothing we've seen so far suggests they are.
    It does seem unique, that someone with an inside ear seems to imply we are...
    To state the obvious, having it & spending it are two different things.
  • Options
    I hope you're clean by next December or else there will be some very disappointed children
  • Options
    I hope you're clean by next December or else there will be some very disappointed children
    Pretty sure Santa doesn’t get round the world in 24 hours  without a helping hand from his chem suite. Used to be we helped him out with a brandy and mince pie. These days he gets a vegan cake and an apple juice. 

He would probably get more done if he had a couple of snifters 
  • Options
    I don’t know how many Charlton fans are serious business people and I dont how many Charlton fans
    are seriously street wise.
    but as always there seems to be a lot of knee Jerk
    negativity on this forum to quickly ?

i think we should give ESI and HE a chance to show their true hand or worth, till at least the end of this month.
    Lee Bowyer must have his new contract in place by then, or there will be serious concern.

Has Roland Rat actually been paid any money at all
    as yet for anything?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Genuinely intrested @Airman Brown do your, obviously many, sources ever give you any good news?  You hinted you knew that Bowyer knew about the offer of a 5 year deal before the press conference, but only mentioned it after.

Have any of your sources given you reason to be optimistic about this take over?  You seem to either be wise after the event or negative so far.

If they have, any chance you, could share them? 
    There is and has been a lot of doubt about ESI all along. I tend to be up front and what I write is what you see, but it isn’t just coming from me. In fact people would be alarmed by some of the sources. If you go back to December I said in VOTV - printed before Christmas - there were noises that Bowyer’s contract would be difficult, Taylor wouldn’t agree a new deal and the transfer dealings in January wouldn’t be what people hoped. This wasn’t just speculation and self-evidently not “after the event”.

I am open minded. We needed to get rid of Roland. There appears to be money there. There have been positive messages. But thus far we haven’t seen any money - in fact the committed spend has fallen, with Leko, Gallagher and Kayal gone and Green in. It’s not clear anything has been spent on buying the club - available for £1, previously, without the freehold assets - and the ex-directors’ loans have not been paid. 

I’m sure that Matt Southall isn’t oblivious to the situation on the pitch. Like me he saw it with his own eyes yesterday. I’m sure he wants to do something about it and that Gallen and Bowyer are desperate to do so. So I hope and believe we will see some positive developments very quickly.

The single most important thing is that we stay up this season.

Intresting.  Thank you.