Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ESI: Thoughts so far?

Comments

• To early to comment on esi, but the week coming up will give a good indication.

tbh i wasn’t that impressed with southalls interviews/presser so far, said to my friend i can see through the bravado (gut), but give him the benefit as always. 
    Still hope and believe they are gonna back us well. We believe! 
  • In a week it could all change: i.e. on monday we sign bowyer, 3 marquee signings, beat fulham, tie down lyle and injury cases become fit. 
  • To a degree yes. Try to improve a team that has won one in sixteen. Might not be that hard to do when you think about it like that.
  • To a degree yes. Try to improve a team that has won one in sixteen. Might not be that hard to do when you think about it like that.
    It may not be ... we are still competing in most games and only one team has scored three against us ... I don’t believe we are that far off. 
  • I agree with you - I think we may be as little as two or three half decent players off. That is what is frustrating me.
  • Interesting article on the dilemma faced by ESI in this and future transfer windows.

One caveat, Benjy also writes for the OS so the cynical will question his impartiality. I don't BTW

https://medium.com/@benjynurick/transfer-window-from-hell-why-charlton-face-a-january-full-of-toil-bf7728b3504b
    Great article and reflects much of what I have been thinking 
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought you might have written it :)
  • Doesn't really help to compare us so closely to Man City.
  • edited January 2020
    Doesn't really help to compare us so closely to Man City.
    We have a Sheikh as our owner ... like it it not, it’s inevitable the comparison will be made. We’ve done it ourselves by singing ‘We’re fucking rich”. 

No point expecting articles to disregard the facts. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Interesting article on the dilemma faced by ESI in this and future transfer windows.

One caveat, Benjy also writes for the OS so the cynical will question his impartiality. I don't BTW

https://medium.com/@benjynurick/transfer-window-from-hell-why-charlton-face-a-january-full-of-toil-bf7728b3504b
    If found this bit intresting, for a number of reasons. 

"The Addicks went from having the smallest budget in the Championship at the start of the season to having an owner who’s net worth outmuscles the vast majority of his peers across the Football League." 

Asuuming HE is the person referenced as the "owner". 

I am not sure how true that is compared to his peers in the championship? 

How relevant is that when you add in parachute money?

RD had more personal wealth, didn't he?

Does it matter if you can't filter it into the club with out breaching FFP?

Also what is ment by the often referenced "smallest budget"?  Is it total wage bill, transfer fees, or a combination of both?  I think we had a higher wage bill than Luton last season. Not saying its right or wrong just asking what the methodology is. 

Cafc43v3r said:
    Interesting article on the dilemma faced by ESI in this and future transfer windows.

"The Addicks went from having the smallest budget in the Championship at the start of the season to having an owner who’s net worth outmuscles the vast majority of his peers across the Football League." 

Also what is ment by the often referenced "smallest budget"?  Is it total wage bill, transfer fees, or a combination of both?  I think we had a higher wage bill than Luton last season. Not saying its right or wrong just asking what the methodology is. 

there are lies, damned lies and statistics .. add on guesswork and bullshit
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Cafc43v3r said:

I am asking those questions because I don't know the answers!! 
  • More money for Barnsley and Blackburn match coming in .
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Cafc43v3r said:

Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Cafc43v3r said:

that's the point .. within limits, 'financial facts' and 'information' can be skewed to bolster and/or 'prove' any argument or to supposedly validate any article
  • edited January 2020
    Well, like most people I was hoping this was a glorious new dawn we were about to see, and, of course, it may still be, and that’s what I’m still really hoping it is going to be.
    As supporters, we have endured a pretty difficult few years under the cockery of Mr D., so we are naturally a little edgy under our current circumstance, because we really WANT to believe. Just like we did back where the Dancing Visionary waltzed (badly, no doubt) into SE7 promising a glorious new dawn as well.
    I guess, we’ll know more by the end of the window. There’s not much we can do other than try and be patient as it unfolds a bit more, and we can see what is going on. For now I’m going to try to hold off playing Fooled Again ( which may morph into Fooked Again if this is not what we thought it was going to be).
    Let’s hope.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2020
    Off_it said:
    ESI ? .. wake the fuck up, we are in serious relegation trouble .. forget the PR and the bullshit .. SPEND SOME MONEY .. QUICKLY
    Lol.

"Spend some money. Quickly. Any money. Do it now. The quicker the better. Don't care who you send it on. Just spend it."
    the reply I'd expect from a dopey t^^t
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Jackson and Marshall said at Bromley Addicks earlier in the season that we had the lowest budget. When asked how they know that they replied that everyone in the game knows other teams budgets. They also said the management team was the lowest paid as they'd seen others payslips.

Bowyer has said the same regarding CAFC having the lowest budget.

Benjy also works for the club on, I think, a freelance basis so would have links to the management team.

• Open message to Southall:

Sort out those couple of little things on Bowyer's contract. Get it signed tomorrow and you may have changed the direction of travel.

Mind you, it is such an obvious message - lets see what happens over the next few days!
    No
    No
    Yeah because last season over 17,000 for football for a fiver already sold over 18,000.Plus no Barnsley offer last season where a season ticket holder can bring a friend for free £1.50 booking fee and money spent at the ground.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Jackson and Marshall said at Bromley Addicks earlier in the season that we had the lowest budget. When asked how they know that they replied that everyone in the game knows other teams budgets. They also said the management team was the lowest paid as they'd seen others payslips.

Benjy also works for the club on, I think, a freelance basis so would have links to the management team.

I was puzzled by that comment in particular, on what occasion would the managers and coaches get together to show each other their payslips? Or do clubs submit that information to the EFL, for open access to all the clubs?
  • Anyone an idiot singing “we’re f rich”
    Nope, this is deeply worrying especially about ownership of the Valley. 
    Roland’s revenge 
  • Cafc43v3r said:

I am not doubting any of that is true.  But doesn't answer the question of what "budget" means, in this context.

Is it purely total wages, wages they could offer a player, transfer fees, does it include the u23 group, academy spend, total wage bill of the club?

I believe we had the 4th highest wage bill in league 1 last season. Higher than Luton.  I am not being argumentative I just don't know what it means. 
  • Anyone an idiot singing “we’re f rich”
    Nope, this is deeply worrying especially about ownership of the Valley. 
    Roland’s revenge 
    I’m obviously being a bit slow but I truly do not understand what point you are trying to make with those three comments. 

Any chance of explaining? 
  • We aren’t rich. And who said we were? 
    Who owns the Valley? 
    And of course after all the shit some supporters put Rols through do you think he would sign a deal that protected the club or F it up...