Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ESI: Thoughts so far?

Comments

• Options
    Dear good roland got away with murder and some fans did nothing, now we have a new owner for 2 weeks and the knives are out just because they have money and not spent it yet. Have a day off for once 
    The thread title asks for our thoughts, of which we’ve replied, they’ve not done anything, which is fact.  I could have had the last two weeks off in Barbados and it would still be this.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Maybe we should all go here on an away day, I think we’d all be very good at it!

https://thepanicroom.net/

• Options
    Dear good roland got away with murder and some fans did nothing, now we have a new owner for 2 weeks and the knives are out just because they have money and not spent it yet. Have a day off for once 
    Did nothing ?? And other than show concern what have fans done to ESI ? 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Incomings: Green, looks okay.
    Outgoings: Gallagher, class act.

So not good so far.
    Leko, Kayal and Ledley gone as well.
    You can hardly blame ESi for players getting season Ending injuries before they even bought the club.
    Not what I meant. They’ve already replaced Leko with Green, but we need to replace both Gallagher with a goalscoring midfielder and ideally give us another good option by replacing Kayal and Ledley with another midfielder. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I was a little worried about the name at first. For those of us from a certain part of south east London, East Street is a very well known market. We might have been shopping at Lidl and Aldi under Roland but that's a step above East Street! Let's hope the name is of the relevance we were told about.
  • Options
    From his past statements, Gallen is v knowledgeable about the market and what players are out there. He talked recently about having ten targets to bring in around three signings. Under Roland he was left to get on with it (within a v limited budget).

We now have more hands-on investors, who likely wish to be more closely involved. That probably adds an element of complication while everyone gets to know each other and how best to work together.

Add that to the pressures of the January window and you can imagine it will be a bit bumpy. 

Two weeks to go to rescue the season. Last year January / February was also v difficult with injuries, suspensions and the loss of Grant. Yet we got the momentum back and some. We're in a far worse trough now, of course, and a division higher. 

We need a repeat of the momentum we built last season, and the season before once Bowyer took over from Robinson. Whereas the squad under Curbs usually dropped away once safety was secured, Bow has shown the opposite so far. Let's hope he can do it for a third time.
  • Options
    Shop abroad?.
  • Options
    Shop abroad?.
    The market is flat across Europe
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It’s far too early to say so far.

in an ideal world there would have been signings lined up before the takeover but that just isn’t possible it seems.

we’ll know more in a couple of weeks - some might say they are crucial 
  • Options
    Whelmed so far, but will wait till 1 Feb. to judge. ESI have better PR (not difficult given the previous regime) but seem underprepared and inexperienced. As things stand there's a reasonable chance we'll go down. Still glad Roland's gone though.  
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    The thread title asks for our thoughts, of which we’ve replied, they’ve not done anything, which is fact.  I could have had the last two weeks off in Barbados and it would still be this.
    Offering Lee Bowyer a 5 year contract, when the previous owner made it difficult to get just a 1 year offer put across, is hardly a case of ESI not doing anything....
    But he hasnt signed it yet. You could find that it's on worse terms than his current one. Seeing as 6 weeks ago they said their first priority was to tie both Bowyer & Taylor down to new contracts they havent done too well.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    shine166 said:
    Did nothing ?? And other than show concern what have fans done to ESI ? 
    I said some did nothing when roland was in charge not everyone. You only got to look at social media and see fans slagging off the new owners and tagging them in it things
  • Options
    What they have said they get an 11/10 for me.

What they have done they get a 3/10 for me.

MS has said everything that fans want to hear, has already met both the supporters Trust and visited "the trust" and has already arranged a netting with reps of fans group.  Very nice.

At the same time he has managed to whip up a storm by promising very specific things that he has so far failed to deliver.  He was very specific about signing, one way or another, Bowyer, Taylor, Leko and Cullen.

If he had just said, something along the lines of "review the management and playing squad's contract and ensure this never happens again and if there is any opportunity to make any loan signings permanent".

Also his line about how everyone knows who owns us and adds a naught.  Doesn't ring true to me.  As far as we "know" MS and HE (in a personal capacity) own us.  While HE is rich beyond my wildest dreams, he doesn't appear to have the sort of money that would blow the championship apart.  

That's before we mention that he "misspoke" about owning the Valley. 

Last bit, why rush a deal through for the January transfer window, if you don't have anything ready to go? 

• Options
    Ask again at the end of the window.
    Why?
    Are people not allowed to voice an opinion?
    I get that we will be in a far better position to make a judgement on 1St. February but the thread question is a legitimate one and this forum is about debate and opinion, witness for example Grapevine's fascinating contribution.
  • Options
    Windy said:
    Whelmed so far, but will wait till 1 Feb. to judge. ESI have better PR (not difficult given the previous regime) but seem underprepared and inexperienced. As things stand there's a reasonable chance we'll go down. Still glad Roland's gone though.  
    Don't you mean underwhelmed?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Windy said:
    Don't you mean underwhelmed?
    Maybe whelmed is in between under and over...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This thread: Thoughts so far? 
  • Options
    This thread: Thoughts so far? 
    Panic !!!!! 
  • Options
    For the first time ever I read @Grapevine49 from the beginning to the end and not by instalments. 

Insightful, nuanced, finely crafted, astute, a legend on CL, but enough about soapboxsam, this post by one of our own, is a superb Sunday read, and covers all the bases of the first steps of ESI in the minefield of a January window and the crazy world of the ownership of a Championship club.

In the age of the sound bite and social media outrage where you're either a Cavalier or a Roundhead(1642-1651) on every topic; to imbibe the World-wide wisdom of a wordsmith on a weekend is wondrous.

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Offering Lee Bowyer a 5 year contract, when the previous owner made it difficult to get just a 1 year offer put across, is hardly a case of ESI not doing anything....
    And when it’s signed sealed and delivered I’ll add it to the list of things they’ve done.
  • Options
    Any judgement at this stage is ridiculous. Let’s see where we are in 2 years.