Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ESI: Thoughts so far?

Comments

• edited January 2020
    It is clear that we have had a Roland style window so far. The difference is so far, Roland goes about telling people how he won't spend any money and ESI have suggested they need the window to do so. Surely that makes it harder to get the deals done and maybe it would have been better if they bought us when they were in a position to buy everything than we get the crap we have got so far. We are running out of time for that to change, and I accept it can. You don't need sources for that, you can see it with your own eyes. It was clear to me and quite a few others that we needed a couple more in on 1st January and Bowyer signed up as that is clearly a factor in achieving that. I don't think any of us underestimate how difficult the window is but a few of us don't underestimate how important it was to do what needed to be done. 

It may well be that there is money but it was alarming when we discovered there may have been no money spent as yet. A commitment to buy is one thing, but ESI can collapse in one scenario - who do you commit to buy us then? This is a perfectly reasonable question surely and if that happens we have the terrible situation of Roland owning the assets without the responsibilities. In the light of that, it would be re-assuring to see ESI start to deliver on at least one of the things they said they would do. I'm waiting for that to happen. 

People say 19 days are not that long, but in the context of a window where we also have and have had 12 points to play for, I think it is pretty long. 
  • The single most important thing is we stay up this season.
    The single most important thing is we stay up this season.
    The single most important thing is we stay up this season...
  • Interesting. Thanks for that.
    Thrilled to read we could be swapping players with Al Ain.
  • The single most important thing is we stay up this season.
    The single most important thing is we stay up this season.
    The single most important thing is we stay up this season...
    Was that the email Bowyer sent Southall this morning.
  • @LenGlover and others have aptly described the delayed purchase of the training ground and the Valley as the elephant in the room. Given our recent and medium term history that should concern most fans. But there is a difference between being concerned and believing something bad is going on. The argument is plausible to me that the full ownership is just delayed until one or two routine issues get ironed out - complete the deal to try and do something in the January window, sort out later what can be sorted out later.

Similarly with incoming player activity. Just because nothing’s happened yet doesn’t mean there isn’t lots of activity going on behind the scenes. Of course we’re concerned, we’ve had shit January windows before, lots of them actually even under Curbs. Can’t remember a significant one since we signed Eddie Youds and Danny Mills and neither of those, at the time, set pulses racing on the day of signature despite ultimately becoming very effective. 

So plenty to be ‘concerned’ about, we’ve been let down so often, but, as yet, I’m not ready to believe that there is any sinister undercurrent beyond the statements that have been made. I think we will sign players, maybe late on and I thing the ownership of the stadium/training ground will transfer. I also think that Bowyer & co will sign new contracts but he may be seeing how the window turns out before he/they does so. But, of course, I am worried that none of these things happen. And...............

.......... let me introduce you to Nellie the baby elephant. I say introduce but I thing she’s always been in the room maybe hiding under a cushion with the tv listings magazine. HE & MS have emphasised that it’s a longer term plan and they don’t want to go silly early on and I don’t disbelieve them. The obvious cost of us not being silly in this window is that it increases the risk of relegation. MS has openly given his view that financially they are prepared for League One - is this simply good contingency planning or are they more laid back about relegation in the interests of their long term aims?! Obviously that won’t sit well with fans or the CAFC management who worked so hard to get us to the Championship, but maybe it’s not something that concerns our new owners so greatly. Now, plenty will respond with reasons why it should bother them and, no doubt, Airman will put numbers on that but the question that Nellie represents is does relegation really bother them this season?
  • I have a question .
    in the media is known that ESI have paid 65.000.000 Pounds for this acquisition.
    I saw an article from last year where the club is valued at 20Mil.
    does anybody know the real deal value? 
    This Fund is in negotiation with the team I support and i am really concerned with their intentions.
    they seem a little dodgy to me...

• Can someone enlighten me as to what it actually is ESI have bought/own?

A check on companies house still shows the only officers for Charlton Athletic football company Ltd, Charlton Athletic holdings ltd and Baton 2010 Ltd are Roland Duchatelet, Richard Murray and Steve Gallen.
  • Not read any of this purely because opinions have been offered on ESI on other threads but they have been here 2 weeks...give them a chance. There clearly interested in making us a force but they wont have there pants pulled down..good on them. 

6 years of that Belgian twat and we panic after 2 weeks. Madness.
  • Cosmin said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETSl8gWsFZ0
  • Sponsored links:

• am I right in thinking that financial fair play is working against Charlton? All the money in the world but we can’t spend it. #cafc
    No way that FFP got anything to do with it. Charlton still running with wagebill that is at League 1 levels.
  • They need to spend in this window, otherwise its League 1 next season.
  • Thoughts on ESI ... Rome wasn’t built in a day. Liverpool’s domination of the EPL has taken years to come to fruition. I’ll be dead by the time Charlton win the Champions League 
  • @LenGlover and others have aptly described the delayed purchase of the training ground and the Valley as the elephant in the room. Given our recent and medium term history that should concern most fans. But there is a difference between being concerned and believing something bad is going on. The argument is plausible to me that the full ownership is just delayed until one or two routine issues get ironed out - complete the deal to try and do something in the January window, sort out later what can be sorted out later.

Similarly with incoming player activity. Just because nothing’s happened yet doesn’t mean there isn’t lots of activity going on behind the scenes. Of course we’re concerned, we’ve had shit January windows before, lots of them actually even under Curbs. Can’t remember a significant one since we signed Eddie Youds and Danny Mills and neither of those, at the time, set pulses racing on the day of signature despite ultimately becoming very effective. 

So plenty to be ‘concerned’ about, we’ve been let down so often, but, as yet, I’m not ready to believe that there is any sinister undercurrent beyond the statements that have been made. I think we will sign players, maybe late on and I thing the ownership of the stadium/training ground will transfer. I also think that Bowyer & co will sign new contracts but he may be seeing how the window turns out before he/they does so. But, of course, I am worried that none of these things happen. And...............

.......... let me introduce you to Nellie the baby elephant. I say introduce but I thing she’s always been in the room maybe hiding under a cushion with the tv listings magazine. HE & MS have emphasised that it’s a longer term plan and they don’t want to go silly early on and I don’t disbelieve them. The obvious cost of us not being silly in this window is that it increases the risk of relegation. MS has openly given his view that financially they are prepared for League One - is this simply good contingency planning or are they more laid back about relegation in the interests of their long term aims?! Obviously that won’t sit well with fans or the CAFC management who worked so hard to get us to the Championship, but maybe it’s not something that concerns our new owners so greatly. Now, plenty will respond with reasons why it should bother them and, no doubt, Airman will put numbers on that but the question that Nellie represents is does relegation really bother them this season?
    If they are intent on running a tight ship then in the long run being relegated will cost them way more than a few decent signings in the next few days.......of that there is little doubt.
  • _MrDick said:
    Thoughts on ESI ... Rome wasn’t built in a day. Liverpool’s domination of the EPL has taken years to come to fruition. I’ll be dead by the time Charlton win the Champions League 
    Me too..... :/:/:'(

If they are intent on running a tight ship then in the long run being relegated will cost them way more than a few decent signings in the next few days.......of that there is little doubt.
    We were saying similar things about Roland in our relegation season. 
  • Has anyone read this ?
    It still all seems positive to me. 
  • 3blokes said:
    Well, like most people I was hoping this was a glorious new dawn we were about to see, and, of course, it may still be, and that’s what I’m still really hoping it is going to be.
    As supporters, we have endured a pretty difficult few years under the cockery of Mr D., so we are naturally a little edgy under our current circumstance, because we really WANT to believe. Just like we did back where the Dancing Visionary waltzed (badly, no doubt) into SE7 promising a glorious new dawn as well.
    I guess, we’ll know more by the end of the window. There’s not much we can do other than try and be patient as it unfolds a bit more, and we can see what is going on. For now I’m going to try to hold off playing Fooled Again ( which may morph into Fooked Again if this is not what we thought it was going to be).
    Let’s hope.
    Maybe you could start a thread...Day 1- no signing,Day 2- still no signing,Day 3 still no fucking signing...& so on with ur brilliant little stories...👍

this week is a BIG Week in the next BO stakes...😣🤞🏻
  • Has anyone read this ?
    It still all seems positive to me. 
    Yes I've read it and apart from being an interesting article, I also found it positive. They have a 5 year plan, do not intend to 'bankrupt' the club, but build a sustainable and hopefully successful future. I agree with most that spending now to stay in the Championship is 'paramount' for the fans, and obviously I want us to, but it seems that should we get relegated it wont deter ESI from their 5 year plan. Its all positive, currently, for me, but proof will be in the pudding over the next few months.
  • Cosmin said:
    I have a question .
    in the media is known that ESI have paid 65.000.000 Pounds for this acquisition.
    This Fund is in negotiation with the team I support and i am really concerned with their intentions.

Can someone enlighten me as to what it actually is ESI have bought/own?

A check on companies house still shows the only officers for Charlton Athletic football company Ltd, Charlton Athletic holdings ltd and Baton 2010 Ltd are Roland Duchatelet, Richard Murray and Steve Gallen.
    Been asking the same questions to no avail. A little birdie told me a few weeks ago that he'd heard ESI hadn't bought Charlton Holdings (The Valley and the training ground) and had bought the club for £1. It seemed unlikely at the time.
    But ESI have now said they deferred the payment in order to get the deal over the line, which makes total sense.
    So 'in the media [it] is known that ESI have paid 65,000.000 Pounds for this acquisition' isn't correct as far as I can see.
    Perhaps they've agreed to pay £50m for Charlton Holdings, a Pound for the club, and have promised to invest £15m in the training ground. Is this where the £65m comes from?

• Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    So far this window we've spent far more, net, than if Roland were still in charge
    And you know that for a fact, yes...?.  We might have brought in Green in this window that (according to MS - and he doesnt lie does he) wasnt affordable in the summer, but do you know for a fact what RD would have let LB spend in this window ? No....I expect no one does. 

I'm just hoping that we dont get relegated by a couple of points as a draw yesterday could be the difference come May.
    Based on historical precedence, yes. Because Roland traditionally sold players in January.  So net spending was negative. 

You've asked "do you know for a fact what RD would have let LB spend in this window?" No, I am hypothesising precisely the opposite.  

"
    I'm just hoping that we dont get relegated by a couple of points as a draw yesterday could be the difference come May".  You know a draw's only worth one point, and wouldn't, therefore "be the difference", don't you?
  • Chunes said:
    @LenGlover and others have aptly described the delayed purchase of the training ground and the Valley as the elephant in the room. Given our recent and medium term history that should concern most fans. But there is a difference between being concerned and believing something bad is going on. The argument is plausible to me that the full ownership is just delayed until one or two routine issues get ironed out - complete the deal to try and do something in the January window, sort out later what can be sorted out later.

We were saying similar things about Roland in our relegation season. 
    And he threw a small fortune at it, it was spent very badly but it was spent. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Cosmin said:
    I have a question .

Been asking the same questions to no avail. A little birdie told me a few weeks ago that he'd heard ESI hadn't bought Charlton Holdings (The Valley and the training ground) and had bought the club for £1. It seemed unlikely at the time.
    But ESI have now said they deferred the payment in order to get the deal over the line, which makes total sense.
    So 'in the media [it] is known that ESI have paid 65,000.000 Pounds for this acquisition' isn't correct as far as I can see.
    Perhaps they've agreed to pay £50m for Charlton Holdings, a Pound for the club, and have promised to invest £15m in the training ground. Is this where the £65m comes from?

I’m not sure why it isn’t clear to be honest, unless I’m completely misinterpreting things.

Southall is said to have a 25% stake in the company that has changed hands.

Southall has no money

Therefore the monetary value of that transaction held very little monetary value. 

Am I missing something?
  • If we dont make any decent signings and LB's contract isn't sorted can we officially panic?
  • JamesSeed said:
    Cosmin said:
    I have a question .

I’m not sure why it isn’t clear to be honest, unless I’m completely misinterpreting things.

Southall has no money

Therefore the monetary value of that transaction held very little monetary value. 

Am I missing something?
    No, not missing something but until it was revealed that the Valley (Freehold?) and training ground hadn't yet been purchased the numbers didn't add up. 

Now it is, slightly, clearer, I think, maybe, perhaps.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Cosmin said:
    I have a question .

Southall has no money

Am I missing something?
     But which company has changed hands?

A check on companies house shows that no member of ESI owns anything remotely Charlton Athletic.
  • If we dont make any decent signings and LB's contract isn't sorted can we officially panic?
    I believe your not allowed to panic on this forum!
  • JamesSeed said:
    Cosmin said:
    I have a question .

Southall has no money

Am I missing something?
    No, not missing something but until it was revealed that the Valley (Freehold?) and training ground hadn't yet been purchased the numbers didn't add up. 

So once they do own everything MS will acquired 25% of everything without spending a penny?

Good work if you can get it. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Cosmin said:
    I have a question .

Southall has no money

Am I missing something?

The numbers don’t have to add up though, do they?

The real financial transactions and movements in the companies that hold the real assets haven’t happened yet?