Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v WBA | Sat 11 Jan | 15:00pm KO | Post-match Thread 11/01/2020

Comments

• Posting  after reading all other posts.....

Their 2nd goal all came from us not closing down their left back after a long diagonal pass by Sarr. Seconds into the re-start & seemingly no energy or willingnesss to chase the ball. Why  ?? Close the bloke down & he doesnt run 25 yards up the pitch to start their attack.

Still too much faffing around & going backwards....especially at set pieces & throw ons. Cut it out & be more direct.

No idea what LB is talking about re his contract. If he hasnt seen it (why not, in this day & age of emails & texts) then why is he spouting about rolling 1 years & compensation. Shut up & say nothing if you really haven't seen it.....but from information I heard today I doubt that is the case. More porkies being told.

I will admit I was wrong about Davision & will be having second helpings of humble pie later. His hold up play today was excellent & well rewarded with his goal. Not the finished article yet of course & I would still like to see a proven striker brought in asap.

They got lucky with both their goals, even after we gifted it to them. Great block by Oshilaja for the first only to find the ball land at the strikers feet. For us the ball would have gone out for a corner. The 2nd gets a deflection off Sarr otherwise Phillips would have saved it.

Definitely Lockyer's goal. The keeper made an attempt to save it & it goes off him into its goal. What else can he do....he's their to try to stop them ffs.Robson's Kanu's goal goes in off Sarr......no difference.

Overall very happy with a point. We've played the top 2 three times in total & not yet lost. Not bad going I'd say. 

Bang on about their 2nd goal, left back couldn't believe his luck, no 0ressure, was willing to let it go for a throw then they screamed at him to keep it in and play.

We would have settled for the throw in that situation. 

All about confidence. 
  • I was so disappointed with the atmosphere and result against Sheffield Wednesday my first game in 3 years but today against WBA both atmosphere and performance were fabulous even brought a tear to the eye.

Of course it wouldn’t be Charlton without the mistake for their first and poor Naby conceding an own goal straight from the 2nd half kick off, I do feel for the man.

I think we may have our Charlton back.
  • @Charltonparklane

gave your old fella a little cheer pal and a big old gulp of me larger today 

he’d have enjoyed that one 
  • edited January 2020
    The worst refereeing I've seen this season, and terrible on all accounts, not just against us. Bizarre that he ignored that scuffle on the floor even after the ball went out of play. Bottled it on a few occasions when both sides deserved to be booked. I've been saying this since I became a football fan and I'm sure I'll be saying it until I die, but why don't the 2nd, 3rd, 4th official ever help the referee out when they make poor decisions?
  • JamesSeed said:
    Talal said:
    Team showed real spirit - Davison was very impressive and Pratley seemed to wind their players up. 

Need to cut out careless defensive errors.

Tackle of the season from Sarr - timed it perfectly.

Tackle by Sarr was superb but lets not forget Lockyer's one earlier in the season which was just as good. 
    Yeah difficult to split then

Lockyer's was slower, yet was completely behind the player and had to wrap his leg around

Sarr's looked a lot faster the way he slid in, had he got that wrong I reckon it would have been a red card as well as a penalty
    Both of them a gnats bollock away from a pen. 

There was more 'skill' in Lockyers tackle but both one us points.

Couldn't split them. 
    Naby's was perfectly timed, so nowhere near a pen. He had no option as the fella was through on goal.
    He also does a great sliding block tackle. The one today didn't come off because the ball rebounded to their player.
    Exact same as Lockyer tackle mate. 

The slide tackle that rebounded to their player, is that for the goal, as that was Oshilaja. 
  • bobmunro said:
    On the train home.

Very enjoyable game and the point was deserved. On another day we could have won it.

Pratley MoM and every time Williams turned and ran at them you could almost see their fear running down their legs! How we’ve missed him.

Highlight of the day was in the second half something kicked off on the pitch (not the Robson Kanu incident) and the three of us and some others along from us stood up for no more than 5 seconds to hurl abuse at the ref. Bloke behind said “I can’t see” to which my Robert as quick as a flash said ‘stand up then’.
    I have to remind myself that I am not in the CE when I go in with me old mucka
    at times and remember not to call the opposition wankas so loudly and enjoyably 

the folks ain’t like that up in them seats lol 
    You can take the boy out of the covered end.
  • The worst refereeing I've seen this season, and terrible on all accounts, not just against us. Bizarre that he ignored that scuffle on the floor even after the ball went out of play. Bottled it on a few occasions when both sides deserved to be booked. I've been saying this since I became a football fan and I'm sure I'll be saying it until I die, but why don't the 2nd, 3rd, 4th official ever help the referee out when they make poor decisions?
    Agree what I thought bizarre was that he ran Past the two fighting in the middle of the pitch, he was bloody useless.
  • I was gutted not to go but was anxiously checking Twitter..great time to be a Charlton fan, onwards and upwards we go. The more bodies we get back we will only improve. I'm predicting somewhere between 13th and 16th
  • @Charltonparklane

gave your old fella a little cheer pal and a big old gulp of me larger today 

he’d have enjoyed that one 
    Cheers bro, his name was on board and In programme, he'd have loved that today.
    Moaned his bollox off but loved it. 

😭😭
  • Sponsored links:

• Meant to post about the "fan of the day" or whatever the feature is called.

John Collins. Been supporting the club for 83 years. Bald as a coot under the cap. And my old maths teacher at Bexley Grammar. Wish I had known beforehand as I would have chucked a board rubber at him just to get my own back. 
    Fuckin love you mate.
    Please never change. 🤣🤣
  • Davison will have fond memories of West Brom. Made his league debut at the Hawthorns, then scored against them at The Valley

Interesting that he came through the Peterborough academy, and only left them in the summer of 2018, so like the likes of Reeco and Bonne, he's quickly returned to league football after being released
  • edited January 2020
    For the first time we can say plucky Charlton after a draw not a loss.
    Lee is in a strong position with Charlton fans to get a five year contract on his terms. Not silly money but that he gets more than one years money if in a year's time it all goes pear shaped ( not likely but we must stop selling our best players)

Had a great day because I was convinced a strong WBA team would nick a late winner but the excellent Sarr marshalled the defence well late on and with Lockyer improving 2nd half after his shocking attempted back pass, but like Naby he makes a mistake but atones with a  goal.  Charlton deserved at least a point and got it.

Had a great chat with an enthusiastic fan who talks as much as me and Lyle Taylor on the train from Charlton to London Bridge. Did not realized for 5 minutes it was @JamesSeed and James didn't realize it was soapboxsam the crazy passionate fan who loves Cafc as if it was family. 

James you're a top man and like myself have managed to detoxify after being taken to Millwall as a child.
  • bobmunro said:
    On the train home.

Very enjoyable game and the point was deserved. On another day we could have won it.

Pratley MoM and every time Williams turned and ran at them you could almost see their fear running down their legs! How we’ve missed him.

Highlight of the day was in the second half something kicked off on the pitch (not the Robson Kanu incident) and the three of us and some others along from us stood up for no more than 5 seconds to hurl abuse at the ref. Bloke behind said “I can’t see” to which my Robert as quick as a flash said ‘stand up then’.
    Lol. We were in our new half season ticket seats and about 10 minutes in the people next to us stood up and a couple of fairly well aged ladies were like ‘siddown’. 

Sorry ladies. 
  • For the first time we can say plucky Charlton after a draw not a loss.
    Lee is in a strong position with Charlton fans to get a five year contract on his terms. Not silly money but that he gets more than one years money if in a year's time it all goes pear shaped ( not likely but we must stop selling our best players)

Had a great day because I was convinced a strong WBA team would nick a late winner but the excellent Sarr marshalled the defence well late on and with Lockyer improving 2nd half after his shocking attempted back pass, but like Naby he makes a mistake but atones with a  goal.  Charlton deserved at least a point and got it.

Had a great chat with an enthusiastic fan who talks as much as me and Lyle Taylor on the train from Charlton to London Bridge. Did not realized for 5 minutes it was @JamesSeed and James didn't realize it was soapboxsam the crazy passionate fan who loves Cafc as if it was family. 

James you're a top man and like myself have managed to detoxify after being taken to Millwall as a child.
    Birds of a feather flock together!
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    How is Oshilaja being blamed for Lockyer's mistake in the player ratings? He did bloody well to get that slide in at all.

2nd goal Lockyer let his man get his shot off, which directly caused the deflected goal.

Redeemed himself with the equaliser. But defensively a mess today, which is weird as he's usually the more solid CB.
    Indeed if anything he was a bit unfortunate after making that block. It was his poor clearance that lead to the build up to there 2nd however. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Talal said:
    Team showed real spirit - Davison was very impressive and Pratley seemed to wind their players up. 

Tackle by Sarr was superb but lets not forget Lockyer's one earlier in the season which was just as good. 

Lockyer's was slower, yet was completely behind the player and had to wrap his leg around

Sarr's looked a lot faster the way he slid in, had he got that wrong I reckon it would have been a red card as well as a penalty

Couldn't split them. 
    Naby's was perfectly timed, so nowhere near a pen. He had no option as the fella was through on goal.
    He also does a great sliding block tackle. The one today didn't come off because the ball rebounded to their player.

Not Oshilja’s block just after the Lockyer error just before their goal?
  • JamesSeed said:
    Talal said:

Couldn't split them. 

Not Oshilja’s block just after the Lockyer error just before their goal?
    No, it was up the other end. He slid in on their winger who was through. Bit similar to Oshi's though.
  • Wow! What a game what’s the new guys name ?Josh  Davison . He had an absolute Stormer of a game well done Josh. This was one for everybody neutrals included. End to end edge of your seat stuff brilliant.And in spite of all of the injuries that still
    lives that fighting spirit there is more entertaining sometimes than the result. Today felt like a win because of the way it happens and who is out there on the pitch. it’s this kind of performance that brings people in to watch the team and to experience the theatre of football made more special by these young boys playing men of experience and that’s what makes it so engaging.In spite of all of the losses recently you get the impression that the team really enjoy being out there. There are the occasional mistakes of course but what a fighting spirit these lads have a real pleasure to be part of.
     in spite of all of the losses recently you get the impression that the team really enjoy being out there. There are the occasional mistakes of course but what a fighting spirit these lads have a real
    pleasure to be part of.

• They can all feel very proud of themselves. 

I think Doughty is going to be some player. 
    I totally agree. I thought Alfie was so skilful, tactically astute and excellent at crossing the ball. A real star in the making, I think.
  • BR3red said:
    1st half save by Dillon was unreal. Was just watching the ball about to nestle into the net to make it 0-1 . Then he produced a worldly 👍
    Watched it back a couple of times and swear he slips as he's about to dive to make the save, its surely why he palms it away with his right hand rather than his left

Great recovery if that was the case
  • A great point.
    We gifted them two goals. The second was criminal from where I was sat but I'll try not to dwell on it.

Doughty is going to be some player.

As I say a point is good against top of the league but they were there for the taking after we got ourselves back in it in the first half

Just happy to get away from them without any more casualties. They are dirty bastards as you would expect from a team managed by one!

Good rest now get some players back and some new ones in. We'll be fine.
    It wasn't criminal, the first goal was a shocker from Tom Lockyer who decided to be negative instead of playing the ball forward.

The second goal was frustrating BUT TBF to young Doughty he stopped the player going passed him and the WBA player then realised he couldn't get pass him and got lucky with the ball going through Alfie's legs, but on a day when Sarr did an assist and played well and did the best tackle seen at the valley for years, can we give the Nabster some slack for once even if his body shape was slightly wrong with the second goal.

West Bromwich defending from both set pieces was criminal and the bearded Croatian will let them know that.
      Every single player of ours was trotting back thinking the ball in the north east corner was going out for a throw in. Not one of them was watching to see if it did.
    The full back spotted our lack of concentration, kept the ball in and pinged it forward where Desh made a hash of it, the ball pinged across and ended up in the back of the net.
    This was moments after the break. We'd worked so hard to get back in the game and literally gifted them that.

I appreciate the inexperience and can't fault the commitment but this is simple stuff.
     These lapses in concentration are costing us big time at the moment.