Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v WBA | Sat 11 Jan | 15:00pm KO | Post-match Thread 11/01/2020

Comments

• Options
    I think my only criticism of yesterday brilliant performance is aimed at the covered end (sorry lads) they missed an absolutely brilliant opportunity to take the mick out of the baggies fans, it would have only taken a very minor change of words from you ain’t singing anymore (which I did hear on a few occasions) to you ain’t holding the ball anymore. Perhaps one for the future. Great atmosphere, great game, great result. Thought Davison was very good, and gave they defence a right old battle.
  • Options
    I think my only criticism of yesterday brilliant performance is aimed at the covered end (sorry lads) they missed an absolutely brilliant opportunity to take the mick out of the baggies fans, it would have only taken a very minor change of words from you ain’t singing anymore (which I did hear on a few occasions) to you ain’t holding the ball anymore. Perhaps one for the future. Great atmosphere, great game, great result. Thought Davison was very good, and gave they defence a right old battle.
    Doesn't roll off the tongue lyrically, maybe start the chant next time... took that chance myself a couple times yesterday and it came off, sounds childish but it's quite a buzz when it does. 
  • Options
    The goalkeepers OG was no different to Phillip's OG v Hull. Both just technicalities.
  • Options
    Proper game of football,WBA played some lovely stuff but our effort cancelled it out,both sides to be fair could have been down to 9 men at one stage if the ref had been as finicky as some we have had this year.Lockyear and Pratly both sailing very close to the wind.(actually thought the ref had. quite a good game showing plenty of commonsense).Watched Bilic interview after the game,what a miserable shitbag this bloke is,calling us aggressive,and moaning about poor goals conceded,never forgive him for his cheating that denied Laurent Blanc ,a fine player and gentleman,a world cup winners medal.Not sure we should panic about buying a striker at the moment,Davison and Green looked good,Hamed may yet perform,and with Taylor and Bonne due back soon we look to be well covered
    up front.
  • Options
    Who actually decides whose goal it is....??  When I was (much) younger I thought it was the ref. Sounds like its the Press Association or some nobody sitting in the stands. Back in the 90's I remember John Aldridge claiming a goal from years back that had originally been given as an Og so he could reach a certain milestone (200 ?)

Surely the club can just credit it to Lockyer.

Betting companies.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    The goalkeepers OG was no different to Phillip's OG v Hull. Both just technicalities.
    Unfair to both keepers, plus Lockyer and the Hull lad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    West2003 said:
    So, so special to be back at The Valley for a league game for the first time after boycotting for over three years. I had to wipe away a few tears and looking over to see a packed Covered End with a cracking atmosphere made me teary-eyed quite often. Sure there were a few things to improve on but the team, cobbled together without any real tactical rhyme or structure, fought so hard for a well-deserved point. A very happy and proud Charlton fan tonight.

That felt right today, we have got our charlton back, they are a premier league outfit in waiting don’t forget that, every man deserves applauds.

MOM Davidson for me he gave everything he had and more, and got his goal.
    Sometimes I get jealous that people who sit in other parts of the stadium get the pleasure of looking at the covered end during the game whilst we only get to look at their sparsely populated stands. Must be why their tickets cost more.
    You're basically right and I was thinking about it during the game. I alternate between CE and West stand and it is a very different experience. In the CE you are part of the spectacle and it can be quite draining at times. In the West stand you are a further step removed and watching/listening to the CE and JS stands is part of the entertainment. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Ohh and quite a lot of argy bargy on Floyd road after the game. Anyone see what happened?
    It was a scuffle which the old bill nipped in the bud fairly sharpish. Got to say, West Brom are the scummiest team and fans we've had down The Valley this season, which surprises me.

I thought we were brilliant, Hemed, JFC and Williams made a huge difference and enabled us to see out the game for a point.
  • Options
    Wow, that Doughty is going to be one hell of a player.
    For Cafc if this really is a new dawn or else it's just a revamp, with a friendly face.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Tbh Hamed looked more knackered after 12mins on the pitch. 
    His name is Hemed and if you look at any player after 10 mins coming off the bench, they're just warming up still.

He looked faster, stronger and sharper than his last showings. 

Played a brilliant ball that had Green not slipped he'd have been through on goal.
    Agreed dazzlar. Watchedon tv and thought he looked ok. 
  • Options
    Wow, that Doughty is going to be one hell of a player.
    For Cafc if this really is a new dawn or else it's just a revamp, with a friendly face.
    At beginning of month i thought we needed a LB,CB and CF minimum, but if Lee wants to play wing backs then you can cross off the LB.
  • Options
    Doughty continues to improve. Wasn't particularly impressed when I first saw him play but once players get a run in the side you can make a better judgement. Seems to be improving defensively and offers a threat going forward.
  • Options
    Doughty continues to improve. Wasn't particularly impressed when I first saw him play but once players get a run in the side you can make a better judgement. Seems to be improving defensively and offers a threat going forward.
    Yeah dont see him going back out on loan this season, even if we get every fit at the flick of a switch (which of course cant happen)
  • Options
    Yeah dont see him going back out on loan this season, even if we get every fit at the flick of a switch (which of course cant happen)
    Deserves a starting place on merit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Late to this so won’t repeat what others have said. I thought that was a terrific game to watch. Captivated by the speed and movement. Ironically it was made a better spectacle by the ref’s ineptitude. The fact that he let so much go gave the game an ebb and flow that it might not have had otherwise. My abiding memories apart from the game itself are failing to get into the Swan, the Bugle or Crossbars as they were all utterly rammo by 1330 and the vast numbers who stayed behind after the final whistle to applaud the team off after a draw. That was the least they deserved after their efforts. A good day to be an Addick. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Great day, great performance from the lads.
    Southall got another standing ovation whilst walking through Crossbars pre match.

As for the game, it was an outstanding effort.
    I felt we had lost when we fell behind and did once again the second time.
    But oh no, against arguably the best team in the division we fought back both times.

Everyone player well, but a special mention to Davison who performed better than I thought possible at this early stage in his career and Darren Pratley who was an absolute beast.
  • Options
    SamE7 said:
    I was gutted not to go but was anxiously checking Twitter..great time to be a Charlton fan, onwards and upwards we go. The more bodies we get back we will only improve. I'm predicting somewhere between 13th and 16th
    Top half finish 25/1 on Sky bet today
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Just watched the highlights on quest as had work last night.
    Seemed Naby had a blinder with the assist for the first goal and that superb tackle at the end.
    Absolutely chuffed for Davison to get his first goal and Lockyer' first for the club as well.
    That passion with the celebration just shows how much he loves the red and white.
    Been reading the comments as well about Pratley, chuffed for him as well.
    Up the Charlton 🔴⚪

• Options
    edited January 2020
    One big thing I took from that game was that WBA are the best or at least one of the best in this league. Show's how crap it is doesn't it? It only confirms the evidence provided by all the other sides we have played when we were playing inexperienced kids against them. Get a few more players back and a few signings and we have no worries. None at all.
  • Options
    Great performance from the team yesterday, and the best moment as others have stated was when they kept the ball and eventually when we got it back we scored.....A few minutes later when the same happened they threw the ball immediately back. I bet some of their fans gave their own some stick when we equalised.

We have to be more awake at the start of the second half that's not the first time this season that the opposition have gone straight for it at the start of the second half...and usually resulting in a goal.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    May I further add that the WBA fans and players were immaculate with their respect at the start of the game, they were even clapping before the ref signalled the start of the applause. Well done.
  • Options
    Dempsey chosen over Morgan? 
  • Options
    My excited nearly crushed reading we've won 1 game in 15. Stats sometimes bring you to a cold reality!