Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v WBA | Sat 11 Jan | 15:00pm KO | Post-match Thread 11/01/2020

Comments

• Options
    Solidgone said:
    The lads warming up 😉
    If we get many more injuries that's our first team squad.
  • Options
    Felt offended by Slaven Bilic's comments on Quest a moment ago

"We told them that this team would be nothing more than long balls and set pieces"

Yeah what do you f**king expect you prick!!

Face our first team for once and you'll notice we're nothing like that!!
    Ungracious prick. And he’s talking bollocks. We’re not a long ball team, even with all our skillful players injured. 
  • Options
    TBH every game ive seen Osh play he has played well. Not sure why he's not a regular.
    Because the player he is competing with (Lockyer) has been far and away our best CB this year and in my view is one of 4 top end champ players we have - Taylor, Cullen and Gallagher the other 3.

You could make a case for him.to play at LCB in place of Sarr/Pearce but not only would we lose a bit of balance in the side it's pretty essential in the modern game to half a left footed CB at LCB of you want to play out from the back. Or at least a right footed CB with a decent left foot and I just don't think Deji has that. I'm a bug fan if him but do we want to change he our philosophy and style of play to accommodate him out of position? I wouldn't. 

Like him but hes back up for Locks or back up RB/CDM for me. Hes proven he is good enough so happy with him as a rotation option.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Others will think that's poor but it's a huge jump from most games this season.

The potential is there.

Great, full blooded game.

Thought WBA were faster, slicker and better but Philips wasn't asked to do too much for all their possession.

We battled throughout, none more so than Josh Davison.

Alfie was great again and Green impressed.

Defence looked more solid despite two sloppy goals.

People will talk about the return of Williams but JFC was more impressive, holding the midfield together and moving the ball quickly and simply.

No way do we go down playing like that.

Highlight of the day was meeting
    @cantersaddick

Lowlight was all the extra traffic after the game. Bring back gates of 10k
     Not sure meeting me should be the highlight if anyones day! Good to meet you too mate and great to finally get to see the museum. Really enjoyed that. Top stuff.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:
    Any idea if Solly was injured today? 
    Left out of the 18 I assume

Oshilaja could have moved over to RB/RWB if necessary, indeed he had a very good game in that position earlier in the season
  • Options
    What a performance. It's all been said on here.

In Bowyer we trust.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Pwr

If I was one of their fans I'd be furious. They are clearly a good side and can play good football but they didn't. They were dirty niggly and horrible from the start. And I dont get why. They most creative player came off the bench and cause us all sorts of problems (couldn't work out who because i couldn't see the numbers on their stupid kit with thin orange numbers on yellow and green! What cretin thought that was a good idea?!) If they tried to play football they would have beaten us. Instead they came for a battle and played into our hands. It's the perfect game for the likes of Pratley, Lockyer, Deji, Gallagher (and it was good to see the likes of Green, JFC dishing a bit out too). Maybe they got dragged into it more than they wanted by the experience of Pratley winding them up? I dunno. 

First half thought we gave a good account of ourselves bar the defensive mistake for the goal. Davison put himself about well and caused them problems. I likes the kinda lop-sided back 5 with Doughty often being our furthest player up the pitch but still at wing back off the ball. Green and Gallagher supported Josh well. The goal playing out from the back is a risk and you always get one or two mistakes leading to a goal each season if you play like that. But could have been avoided, Matthew's dilly-dallied on the ball too long and then gave it to Lockyer with a hell of a lot to do. Lockyer held with it terribly and tried to pass back to Dillon but under pressure simply passes it to the on rushing attacker. We didnt deal with it well from there. Deji should have gone straight to the man as Sarr was recovering behind. But he allows him to take it into the box. I really thought he'd pulled off a miracle after he blocked the first shot but wasnt to be.

We stayed in the game well and great work all round for the goal. Delighted for Josh! 

Second half started with a sucker punch. And we weren't in it for a while. Gradually got a grip back on the game but the real change was when Jonny and JFC came on. Jonny and Andre (who was excellent all game) running at them terrified their back line. Bartley (and to a lesser extent Ajayi) gave it to the covered end when it was completely unnecessary for the whole time Davison was down injured. Not long later Bartley loses his man and that's the equaliser. Wonderful! 

We saw it out fairly comfortably in the end. Good to see some players back, JFC impressed me and will be useful in the coming weeks. Pratley immense throughout. Real leader in the jacko mould (think Lockyer is too) proper fighter and so fit for his age. Winds them up without ever actually crossing the line himself. Doesn't have too much pace but was still the one most willing to bust a gut and get back to make the tackle as they broke near the end. Growing man love for our Dazza.

Ohh yeah. Ref was an absolute nonce. No clue what he was playing at. They could easily have had 2 reds. Completely lost control in the second half.

A word on the people around me in block M of the covered end upper.

Bloke behind me moaning every time I stood up and even grabbed me by the shoulder and tried to pull me down at one point. Like ffs you're 3/4 of the way back in the covered end everyone is standing up (I wasnt even doing it that much - the instance where he grabbed me it was as Doughty put a ball into the box!) Not sorry for telling you to fuck off. If you wanna sit down all game and aren't interested in standing when we have a chance go sit in the west stand. And before anyone asks no he didnt have mobility issues. He was jumping rows of seats perfectly fine to beat the queue to get out at half time.

And the guy to my left was vocal - which I like but had zero clue about football. Was calling Davison shit from the first minute even though he was clearly putting himself about well. Didnt even stop calling him shit after he scored! Refused to stand or even clap when he was subbed! Shouting out at the defense even when they had the ball and were directly running at us. Shouted hoof it whenever we get the ball. What so you want us to hoof it at Davison so he can battle with 2 CBs twice his size and then you can moan at him too. The guy was a fool.

So glad I wasnt sat in my season ticket seat!
    Could have swapped seats with the chap. Nothing worse than the random leaper when something exciting happens so make him right.
    You could always give him a couple of hundred to up grade to the West if it is all getting too much for you, or of course, just fuck off to your own seat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @cantersaddick - was Grady Diangana who came off the bench (29). Just coming back from injury hence his limited minutes.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    @cantersaddick - was Grady Diangana who came off the bench (29). Just coming back from injury hence his limited minutes.
    Cheers mate good to know. Glad he didnt start.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Pwr

If I was one of their fans I'd be furious. They are clearly a good side and can play good football but they didn't. They were dirty niggly and horrible from the start. And I dont get why. They most creative player came off the bench and cause us all sorts of problems (couldn't work out who because i couldn't see the numbers on their stupid kit with thin orange numbers on yellow and green! What cretin thought that was a good idea?!) If they tried to play football they would have beaten us. Instead they came for a battle and played into our hands. It's the perfect game for the likes of Pratley, Lockyer, Deji, Gallagher (and it was good to see the likes of Green, JFC dishing a bit out too). Maybe they got dragged into it more than they wanted by the experience of Pratley winding them up? I dunno. 

First half thought we gave a good account of ourselves bar the defensive mistake for the goal. Davison put himself about well and caused them problems. I likes the kinda lop-sided back 5 with Doughty often being our furthest player up the pitch but still at wing back off the ball. Green and Gallagher supported Josh well. The goal playing out from the back is a risk and you always get one or two mistakes leading to a goal each season if you play like that. But could have been avoided, Matthew's dilly-dallied on the ball too long and then gave it to Lockyer with a hell of a lot to do. Lockyer held with it terribly and tried to pass back to Dillon but under pressure simply passes it to the on rushing attacker. We didnt deal with it well from there. Deji should have gone straight to the man as Sarr was recovering behind. But he allows him to take it into the box. I really thought he'd pulled off a miracle after he blocked the first shot but wasnt to be.

We stayed in the game well and great work all round for the goal. Delighted for Josh! 

Second half started with a sucker punch. And we weren't in it for a while. Gradually got a grip back on the game but the real change was when Jonny and JFC came on. Jonny and Andre (who was excellent all game) running at them terrified their back line. Bartley (and to a lesser extent Ajayi) gave it to the covered end when it was completely unnecessary for the whole time Davison was down injured. Not long later Bartley loses his man and that's the equaliser. Wonderful! 

We saw it out fairly comfortably in the end. Good to see some players back, JFC impressed me and will be useful in the coming weeks. Pratley immense throughout. Real leader in the jacko mould (think Lockyer is too) proper fighter and so fit for his age. Winds them up without ever actually crossing the line himself. Doesn't have too much pace but was still the one most willing to bust a gut and get back to make the tackle as they broke near the end. Growing man love for our Dazza.

Ohh yeah. Ref was an absolute nonce. No clue what he was playing at. They could easily have had 2 reds. Completely lost control in the second half.

Bloke behind me moaning every time I stood up and even grabbed me by the shoulder and tried to pull me down at one point. Like ffs you're 3/4 of the way back in the covered end everyone is standing up (I wasnt even doing it that much - the instance where he grabbed me it was as Doughty put a ball into the box!) Not sorry for telling you to fuck off. If you wanna sit down all game and aren't interested in standing when we have a chance go sit in the west stand. And before anyone asks no he didnt have mobility issues. He was jumping rows of seats perfectly fine to beat the queue to get out at half time.

And the guy to my left was vocal - which I like but had zero clue about football. Was calling Davison shit from the first minute even though he was clearly putting himself about well. Didnt even stop calling him shit after he scored! Refused to stand or even clap when he was subbed! Shouting out at the defense even when they had the ball and were directly running at us. Shouted hoof it whenever we get the ball. What so you want us to hoof it at Davison so he can battle with 2 CBs twice his size and then you can moan at him too. The guy was a fool.

Could have swapped seats with the chap. Nothing worse than the random leaper when something exciting happens so make him right.
    You could always give him a couple of hundred to up grade to the West if it is all getting too much for you, or of course, just fuck off to your own seat.
    Weird
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Redrobo said:
    Pwr

Calm down dear.

Can tell you're a boring old fart who doent like it when the clapping gets too loud as it disturbs his nap. Ffs.

I did offer to but he didn't want to. 

Again it's most of the way back in the north upper ffs. I sat down way more than most people around me (who were standing all game) because of him. Certainly not a "random leaper" but if we are putting a ball in the box then 3 quarters of the ground are on their feet. He must have been only person in the covered end who wasnt at those moments.

The bit about the west was tongue in cheek but if you're seriously bothered about not standing up at all for the entire game you can sit towards the front of the stand or the east. It's well known the back of the covered end is where the people who want to stand go.

As for being in my own seat - I couldn't get my missus a seat next to mine today as thy had been sold so the ticket office kindly moved me across the aisle into the next block along and got her the seat next to me so we could sit together. Is that alright or do I need to ask your permission next time?
  • Options
    Just home.

proper day.

Craig and your old man read this, up the Addicks!
  • Options
    jamescafc said:
    Any idea if Solly was injured today? 
    Didn't give him a second thought mate
  • Options
    PWR

The football was secondary today as I had a reunion with 3 dear old friends, 2 of whom I have known since primary school days and the the third since teenage days.

However I am delighted with a point given our injuries and just love the fight in our squad. I'm also chuffed for Josh Davison finally getting the goal he has deserved for his hard work against Swansea, WBA last week and again today. 

One of my friends comes fairly regularly but the other two don't and our fighting spirit impressed them both. They live too far away to become regulars but thoroughly enjoyed the day.

Enough from me for now it's been a long day!

COYR
  • Options
    Loved it every second of it, the chairman is a great fella and we are on our way back 

love the fact their fans got punished for holding and delaying the ball returning In the best way possible , 

didnt have a reason to dislike them before 

but I don’t like them now their a shit Coventry city 
    I still hate them for the fckin FA cup game in the 90s my dad bought me a ticket on the coach and a match ticket on my Jack's

Goal that went in off a puddle
    God, I always remember that. I've told my two boys about that goal but I don't think they believe me. I can hardly believe it myself. I've never seen a puddle score a goal since.
  • Options
    Posting  after reading all other posts.....

Their 2nd goal all came from us not closing down their left back after a long diagonal pass by Sarr. Seconds into the re-start & seemingly no energy or willingnesss to chase the ball. Why  ?? Close the bloke down & he doesnt run 25 yards up the pitch to start their attack.

Still too much faffing around & going backwards....especially at set pieces & throw ons. Cut it out & be more direct.

No idea what LB is talking about re his contract. If he hasnt seen it (why not, in this day & age of emails & texts) then why is he spouting about rolling 1 years & compensation. Shut up & say nothing if you really haven't seen it.....but from information I heard today I doubt that is the case. More porkies being told.

I will admit I was wrong about Davision & will be having second helpings of humble pie later. His hold up play today was excellent & well rewarded with his goal. Not the finished article yet of course & I would still like to see a proven striker brought in asap.

They got lucky with both their goals, even after we gifted it to them. Great block by Oshilaja for the first only to find the ball land at the strikers feet. For us the ball would have gone out for a corner. The 2nd gets a deflection off Sarr otherwise Phillips would have saved it.

Definitely Lockyer's goal. The keeper made an attempt to save it & it goes off him into its goal. What else can he do....he's their to try to stop them ffs.Robson's Kanu's goal goes in off Sarr......no difference.

Overall very happy with a point. We've played the top 2 three times in total & not yet lost. Not bad going I'd say. 

4 times. We lost in the cup. If you don't count that then we may as well scrub it from our honours list.

People say the cup has lost its magic. Charlton fans are often the worst culprits of this self fulfilling prophecy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When you look at the team that finished the game and the players getting close to fitness, it's a good reminder that this is actually a very decent squad. We need another center forward. We'll probably need to replace Kayal. But as players get back to fitness, there's some real quality there.

And thank God, because we've been poor the last month and a half. But as the ESPN commentator said, we've been in every game, and he's dead on. No lopsided defeats. Huge credit to Bowyer for that. 

It really does feel like a new era today, new owners, getting player back. Cannot wait to see more of Hemed and JFC and Green second half of the season. At their best, all three should be very good in this league. 

• Options
    Ohh and quite a lot of argy bargy on Floyd road after the game. Anyone see what happened?
    The lad and I nearly got caught up in some of that. It was odd, there was no warning of it at all; no pavement hopping or 'COME ON THEN' it just suddenly erupted.No more than eight or so, with the Baggies driving our lot from one side of the road to the other. I must say one theirs gave a good account of himself, I could actually hear his blows landing. 
    Police, truncheons, horseys and then it was over as quickly as it had started.
  • Options
    Just watched the replay of Lockyer’s header.

Looks like it’s destined for the net until their keeper pushes it onto the post and then ricochets back and into the net from there.

Up until now I thought it was probably going to go down as an OG and we’d still be waiting for his first CAFC goal but that’s his goal all day.
  • Options

Looks like it’s destined for the net until their keeper pushes it onto the post and then ricochets back and into the net from there.

Up until now I thought it was probably going to go down as an OG and we’d still be waiting for his first CAFC goal but that’s his goal all day.
    I hope you are proved correct as I had £5 @100-1 for Lockyer to score last. You can imagine how buzzing I was at the time but then massively pissed off when getting home to find it chalked down as an OG. Sympathy whip-round required anybody?
  • Options
    Surely it has to be Lockyer's goal, it was not like a wild deflection took it in. It was going in and the keeper made a good attempt to save it, but not good enough. 
  • Options
    Who actually decides whose goal it is....??  When I was (much) younger I thought it was the ref. Sounds like its the Press Association or some nobody sitting in the stands. Back in the 90's I remember John Aldridge claiming a goal from years back that had originally been given as an Og so he could reach a certain milestone (200 ?)

Surely the club can just credit it to Lockyer.

• Options
    Who actually decides whose goal it is....??  When I was (much) younger I thought it was the ref. Sounds like its the Press Association or some nobody sitting in the stands. Back in the 90's I remember John Aldridge claiming a goal from years back that had originally been given as an Og so he could reach a certain milestone (200 ?)

Surely the club can just credit it to Lockyer.

Dubious Goals Commitee probably
  • Options
    Another gold star for Pratley. His chasing back and tackle in injury time epitomised everything good about him. Impressive performances as well from Davison, Doughty and Gallagher.
     With Jonny, JFC and Hamed livening things up when they came off the bench and new signings to come, things are definitely looking up.
     Can't wait for Cullen to get back out on the pitch and let's sort out this contract business with Lyle. It will be great to have him firing on all cylinders again.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

I hope you are proved correct as I had £5 @100-1 for Lockyer to score last. You can imagine how buzzing I was at the time but then massively pissed off when getting home to find it chalked down as an OG. Sympathy whip-round required anybody?
    My mate had some money on him to score too and Betfair initially didn’t pay out then changed their mind last night. Assuming you bet online, I’d keep checking....