Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v WBA | Sat 11 Jan | 15:00pm KO | Post-match Thread 11/01/2020

Comments

• Options
    Talal said:
    Team showed real spirit - Davison was very impressive and Pratley seemed to wind their players up. 

Need to cut out careless defensive errors.

Tackle of the season from Sarr - timed it perfectly.

Tackle by Sarr was superb but lets not forget Lockyer's one earlier in the season which was just as good. 
    Yeah difficult to split then

Lockyer's was slower, yet was completely behind the player and had to wrap his leg around

Sarr's looked a lot faster the way he slid in, had he got that wrong I reckon it would have been a red card as well as a penalty
  • Options
    Great game to be at. Gutsy performance but we still give goals away too easily. We also give the ball away too easily at our throw ins - just take them quickly before every single one of your team is man-marked!

However, I think today's performance and the point earned will mean an awful lot to the morale of the squad and with injured players gradually returning and hopefully some new additions we will move up the table over the last third of the season.
  • Options
    I thought the handshake in front of the CE between LB and the Baby Beckham looked a bit "final".
    Hope they are both  staying !
    The old weekly dissection of a wave or hand shake 
  • Options
    Great to be back for first time since Forest. Great game, great atmosphere, great bit of needle, two equalisers. Absolutely loved the first one after the ball-keeping incident. 
  • Options
    I find it strange that we are working against the clock to bring in much needed players, but apparently one of the reasons they won’t sign is because Bowyer isn’t on a contract. Yet a contact has been offered to Bowyer but he hasn’t even looked at it?

Im not worried, I just find the whole process a little strange from LB’s side.
    Very strange. 5 yr deal offered and his comments after the game make me think its not all as straightforward as hoped
    Bowyer hasnt even bloody looked at the deal yet!!

All he's doing is giving people a potential insight into the difference between a players / managers contract
    I dont get the need for that after what has been said this week
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I find it strange that we are working against the clock to bring in much needed players, but apparently one of the reasons they won’t sign is because Bowyer isn’t on a contract. Yet a contact has been offered to Bowyer but he hasn’t even looked at it?

Im not worried, I just find the whole process a little strange from LB’s side.
    Very strange. 5 yr deal offered and his comments after the game make me think its not all as straightforward as hoped
    Bowyer hasnt even bloody looked at the deal yet!!

All he's doing is giving people a potential insight into the difference between a players / managers contract
    I dont get the need for that after what has been said this week
    Exercising caution perhaps?

People shit themselves between Bowyers press comments and the press conference for no reason

Or is every comment going to be micro analysed now thanks to Roland!!
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Team showed real spirit - Davison was very impressive and Pratley seemed to wind their players up. 

Tackle by Sarr was superb but lets not forget Lockyer's one earlier in the season which was just as good. 

Lockyer's was slower, yet was completely behind the player and had to wrap his leg around

Sarr's looked a lot faster the way he slid in, had he got that wrong I reckon it would have been a red card as well as a penalty
    Both of them a gnats bollock away from a pen. 

There was more 'skill' in Lockyers tackle but both one us points.

Couldn't split them. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really impressed with Davison today, incredibly strong and physical for a kid, and so pleased he got a goal 

Far more impressive than Hemed
    I agree about Davison. Of course. Definitely dont agree about Hemed, thought he got stuck in. He’s hardly played any football for ages, and was on his own upfront, which I’m pretty sure was not how Brighton played him. 
    Maybe I was being slightly harsh on Hemed, but he was pretty ineffective when he came on, as the ball never stuck at all and he gave the West Brom defenders a far easier time, despite being fresh legs.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Very enjoyable game, great atmosphere. Decent results both home & away against top of the league team. Really good performance from Pratley the machine & Davidson. Was gutted when he went off for fly-weight Hamed but he looked knackered, obviously left it all out on the pitch. Onwards & upwards! COYA!!
  • Options
    Tbh Hamed looked more knackered after 12mins on the pitch. 
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    I mean why didn't he just speak to MS after the press conference on Thursday or his agent inbetween to get a little idea of what is in the contract? 
    Maybe he didn’t want to be distracted from his preparation for the game. Now the game’s over, he can see what’s on offer.
    I'd agree especially as Bowyer specifically said during Thursdays Press Conference that he could concentrate on Footballing matters now and leave everything else to other people
  • Options
    A really good game to watch, the second half got remarkably stretched with lots of end to end action. We're happy with the point, West Brom were happy enough as Leeds lost!

Terrible play by Lockyer for the first goal, but he made up for it with the header - sadly an OG, a very similar one to the Hull equaliser which was credited as a Dillon OG

The usual mixture from Sarr, a great leap for the 1st goal, a great goal saving tackle and a couple of argghh moments. I can't decide who's at fault for their second goal, I had thought Sarr got a touch but that wasn't the case.

Really impressed with Davison, he was a real handful today, especially in the first half, great body strength for a 20 year old, and he bullied the defenders in a way that Shearer would be impressed with. Pratley was also excellent

Good to see JFC back, for a first appearance he was very tidy.

Poor train service today, typical that when we have a big crowd with a large away contingent, fewer trains are running. And what was that incident in Floyd Road which required police horses to block half of it off?
  • Options
    On the train home.

Very enjoyable game and the point was deserved. On another day we could have won it.

Pratley MoM and every time Williams turned and ran at them you could almost see their fear running down their legs! How we’ve missed him.

Highlight of the day was in the second half something kicked off on the pitch (not the Robson Kanu incident) and the three of us and some others along from us stood up for no more than 5 seconds to hurl abuse at the ref. Bloke behind said “I can’t see” to which my Robert as quick as a flash said ‘stand up then’.
  • Options
    Talal said:

Lockyer's was slower, yet ...

Apparently when a pen is awarded a red card is no longer issued as that's considered double punishment. Happened in millwall v stoke earlier in the season which puzzled me greatly at the time. Perhaps someone else can confirm.
  • Options
    A great point.
    We gifted them two goals. The second was criminal from where I was sat but I'll try not to dwell on it.

Doughty is going to be some player.

As I say a point is good against top of the league but they were there for the taking after we got ourselves back in it in the first half

Just happy to get away from them without any more casualties. They are dirty bastards as you would expect from a team managed by one!

Good rest now get some players back and some new ones in. We'll be fine.
    It wasn't criminal, the first goal was a shocker from Tom Lockyer who decided to be negative instead of playing the ball forward.

The second goal was frustrating BUT TBF to young Doughty he stopped the player going passed him and the WBA player then realised he couldn't get pass him and got lucky with the ball going through Alfie's legs, but on a day when Sarr did an assist and played well and did the best tackle seen at the valley for years, can we give the Nabster some slack for once even if his body shape was slightly wrong with the second goal.

West Bromwich defending from both set pieces was criminal and the bearded Croatian will let them know that.
  • Options
    Talal said:

Apparently when a pen is awarded a red card is no longer issued as that's considered double punishment. Happened in millwall v stoke earlier in the season which puzzled me greatly at the time. Perhaps someone else can confirm.
    I believe you can still get both if the challenge is bad enough to warrant a red for being dangerous - the penalty is for denying the opportunity, the red card is for a dangerous tackle. Otherwise it's "just" a penalty as the tackle wouldn't have been given as a yellow/red elsewhere on the field.

... I think?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    Talal said:

I believe you can still get both if the challenge is bad enough to warrant a red for being dangerous - the penalty is for denying the opportunity, the red card is for a dangerous tackle. Otherwise it's "just" a penalty as the tackle wouldn't have been given as a yellow/red elsewhere on the field.

... I think?!
    I agree, if you snap someone's shin you shouldn't just get a yellow card cause its in the box. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Posting  after reading all other posts.....

Their 2nd goal all came from us not closing down their left back after a long diagonal pass by Sarr. Seconds into the re-start & seemingly no energy or willingnesss to chase the ball. Why  ?? Close the bloke down & he doesnt run 25 yards up the pitch to start their attack.

Still too much faffing around & going backwards....especially at set pieces & throw ons. Cut it out & be more direct.

No idea what LB is talking about re his contract. If he hasnt seen it (why not, in this day & age of emails & texts) then why is he spouting about rolling 1 years & compensation. Shut up & say nothing if you really haven't seen it.....but from information I heard today I doubt that is the case. More porkies being told.

I will admit I was wrong about Davision & will be having second helpings of humble pie later. His hold up play today was excellent & well rewarded with his goal. Not the finished article yet of course & I would still like to see a proven striker brought in asap.

They got lucky with both their goals, even after we gifted it to them. Great block by Oshilaja for the first only to find the ball land at the strikers feet. For us the ball would have gone out for a corner. The 2nd gets a deflection off Sarr otherwise Phillips would have saved it.

Definitely Lockyer's goal. The keeper made an attempt to save it & it goes off him into its goal. What else can he do....he's their to try to stop them ffs.Robson's Kanu's goal goes in off Sarr......no difference.

Overall very happy with a point. We've played the top 2 three times in total & not yet lost. Not bad going I'd say. 

• Options
    Talal said:

Both of them a gnats bollock away from a pen. 

There was more 'skill' in Lockyers tackle but both one us points.

Couldn't split them. 
    Naby's was perfectly timed, so nowhere near a pen. He had no option as the fella was through on goal.
    He also does a great sliding block tackle. The one today didn't come off because the ball rebounded to their player.
  • Options
    Talal said:

It's only a red card for a "professional foul" (i.e. 1 match ban) if there was no attempt to win the ball, e.g. if you pull the attacker's shirt or arms, or clip his heels when nowhere near the ball

The Sarr incident would at worst have been a yellow card as he was clearly trying to touch the ball, unless he committed a serious foul (the 3 game ban type) in the process
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Talal said:
    "I feel sorry for Davison. He's so out of his depth and I'm sure he must be aware of it." 

This was an embarrassing post on the match thread before the game started and looks even more foolish now. The lad put in some shift and fully deserved his goal. 

There were a few embarrassing posts on the match thread. Especially the bloke who said it was "game over now" at 1 - 0 down. Have a bloody word with yourself.
    To be fair at that point it was hard to see us getting back into it & I thought to myself that's it, game over. As a former boycotter I wasn't used to seeing the fight & 100% determination of this team to get back into the game, awesome performance but why do we have to fuck about at the back ? Playing with fire but so impressed with the youngsters in the team :-) 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    bobmunro said:
    On the train home.

Very enjoyable game and the point was deserved. On another day we could have won it.

Pratley MoM and every time Williams turned and ran at them you could almost see their fear running down their legs! How we’ve missed him.

Highlight of the day was in the second half something kicked off on the pitch (not the Robson Kanu incident) and the three of us and some others along from us stood up for no more than 5 seconds to hurl abuse at the ref. Bloke behind said “I can’t see” to which my Robert as quick as a flash said ‘stand up then’.
    I have to remind myself that I am not in the CE when I go in with me old mucka
    at times and remember not to call the opposition wankas so loudly and enjoyably 

the folks ain’t like that up in them seats lol