Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Swansea v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    cannot complain at all. The youngsters can feel very proud of themselves having had a right go in the second half. Their fight will start to turn things around soon. 
  • Options
    Sarr terrifies defenders.  Play him further up the pitch.
    Sometimes he even terrifies us when he plays at the back.

• Options
    Gallant performance - deserved a point on the 2nd half showing. 
    Unfortunately I make that 3 points from 7 live Sky games so far. I genuinely wish they'd leave us alone.
  • Options
    I thought Bow had already made it clear that Taylor isn’t fully fit. Is it really necessary to remind some people of the game schedule we are in at the moment? 

Anyway agree that everyone stepped up brilliantly. Thought Davison grew in confidence as the game went on. 

The ref let some outrageous fouls go unpunished, especially the full on assault on Doughty. The same ref that took the home Swansea game btw, after which Bow got a ban. What a joke.

Was a good idea putting Naby up front, but for a whole game? Come on, he’s not mobile enough. 

• Options
    0 wins with new owner, ESI out!! :smile:;)

Blimey @Dazzler21, do you want tell Justin what fate awaits him as you edited my post of 7.37pm on the match thread  ?

• Options
    philcafc said:
    All very well going on about how well we battled tonight which we did, but the fact is we lost again and that's now 1 win in 14 games and a mere 7 points out of the last 42 available. If we don't turn things around soon, presumably by getting in new players or getting some of our injured players back there's every chance our new owners will be in charge of a League 1 team next season. 
    If thats what happens then it happens, sod all we can do about it, sod all Bowyer can do about it if injured players dont get fit quick enough

We just go again - Difference will be the fact we dont have Roland in charge so should make a better fist of League One and our return to the Championship should it happen
  • Options
    Whatever the reason Taylor was playing at 75% at best. Time willl tell of course but why did we look so much better second half? 
    Ask yourself these questions:

What was our issue first half, why was it that Swansea were having so much success?
    What formation did we play when Doughty came on?
    How did this combat the issues of the first half?

Here I think you will find your answer, and will realise that reason our midfield was being overrun and overloaded in the first half was nothing to do with our striker playing in a 4-4-2 diamond.
    And such changes could only be made by replacing Taylor? He has played in many different formations in his time with us. I’m not digging him out at all but it is odd to remove your talisman to make a change to the formation. Maybe it is an injury/ fitness issue. As I say we will find out and hopefully it is a case of Bowyer still protecting him.
    On one hand people moan about our injury crisis and medical team, on the other hand they moan because Taylor is taken off when we need a tactical change, and after playing another 45 minutes after coming back from injury during the busy Christmas period of games.

However because there were rumours he might be sold in the summer, and now this transfer window, and because he has a an ego and can be a melon on social media all of a sudden everyone is suddenly seeing stuff about his attitude on the pitch that is not there.
    I said he was playing at 75%. He clearly was. Didn’t mention his attitude just that there was a reason for his lethargy today. I didn’t buy it being a tactical change so mooted that it might be fitness/ injury. That’s what the club have said so there it is.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I think Doughty is the best of our current crop of youngsters. 
    Needs to learn to cushion a header though.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    At the game.

Could have been 3 or 4 down by half time easy.

Second half was vastly improved at least the youngsters want to be there.

Controversial view but we were far better off without Taylor he clearly doesn't want to be here and barely put any effort in that first half. I've defended Taylor but tonight was awful for a leader of the team, the kids put him to shame in the second half with the fight and effort they put in compared to him.

It's time to get rid and replace him ASAP and we'll be fine the second half was a performance to be proud of with the guts and fight from the team.

We just need a bit of quality on the pitch. A new striker or two along with Williams back on the pitch we will be fine.
    What ARE you talking about? Time to get rid of Taylor? lol. Ridiculous
    Fair enough it's now been said Taylor had a thigh injury.

He clearly didn't look right in the 1st half and this would explain it. I'd rather it be due to injury than lack of effort for not wanting to be here anymore which did appear the case at the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    I think Doughty is the best of our current crop of youngsters. 
     Agreed. Looks immense. Alway pushing to get forward with or without the ball
  • Options
    Doughty needs to learn to finish though, both QPR and Swansea should have resulted in goals from him

Especially tonight as seem to remember the QPR attempt being more of a volley
  • Options
    Unbelievable , not only did Rooney hijack all of our post match analysis,  he's got his own documentary now. Ridiculous!
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Unbelievable , not only did Rooney hijack all of our post match analysis,  he's got his own documentary now. Ridiculous!
    Just signed a shirt, struggled with the very first letter.
  • Options
    Great effort 2nd half, just lacked that quality in the final third. But we need reinforcements and quickly 
  • Options
    Stig said:

Well he's Man U and England's top scorer don't you know.
  • Options
    Just seen the highlights
    We deserved a point for that display
    Well done the youth
  • Options
    PWR

Saw the second half and highlights of the first on TV.

I expected nothing from this match but hats off to our youngsters for a gutsy performance. No disgrace, given our stretched resources, to go down 1-0 away at Swansea a team in and around the play offs all season. I felt so sorry for them not being able to nick an equaliser but we needed the guile of a Taylor to do that.

Let's hope this Green character can stay fit and one or two of the others return soon. If we play with that spirit every time we will pick up points. The question is whether we will pick up enough.

COYR

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Whatever the reason Taylor was playing at 75% at best. Time willl tell of course but why did we look so much better second half? 

What was our issue first half, why was it that Swansea were having so much success?

Here I think you will find your answer, and will realise that reason our midfield was being overrun and overloaded in the first half was nothing to do with our striker playing in a 4-4-2 diamond.
    And such changes could only be made by replacing Taylor? He has played in many different formations in his time with us. I’m not digging him out at all but it is odd to remove your talisman to make a change to the formation. Maybe it is an injury/ fitness issue. As I say we will find out and hopefully it is a case of Bowyer still protecting him.
    On one hand people moan about our injury crisis and medical team, on the other hand they moan because Taylor is taken off when we need a tactical change, and after playing another 45 minutes after coming back from injury during the busy Christmas period of games.

However because there were rumours he might be sold in the summer, and now this transfer window, and because he has a an ego and can be a melon on social media all of a sudden everyone is suddenly seeing stuff about his attitude on the pitch that is not there.
    I said he was playing at 75%. He clearly was. Didn’t mention his attitude just that there was a reason for his lethargy today. I didn’t buy it being a tactical change so mooted that it might be fitness/ injury. That’s what the club have said so there it is.
    In your original post you heavily implied that he was playing at 75% of his best (how do you even measure that?), and that there may be nefarious reasons behind that but only 'time will tell'. This was linked to our performance improving after he was substituted. 

I pointed out that we played better in the second half because of our formation change and not because Taylor went off the pitch. The way we were being overrun in midfield I think Bowyer would have made that change for the second half, and perhaps if Taylor had not injured himself maybe it would have been Davison who went off.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    A game of two halves 
    this was a shit Swansea side (yes they’re 6th but look at the junk they’ve just jumped above, the league is pony ) who had only won 2 of last 10 @ home and they ripped us a new one first half and should have been out of sight but some good keeping and fortune shone on us to keep it down to a 1-0 lead .
    Second half for all our possession I can’t recall a save being needed from their keeper until the 97th minute when Davison hit the target .
    All the effort in the world but our lack of quality In the final third meant we were gonna struggle to score and that’s how it panned out .

fairplay to the kids for their work and effort Only bettered by our magnificent vocal support that kept going loud and proud in a decent acoustic friendly away end , well done to one and all , brilliant, you deserved a win with that performance .

back to reality the helmet has gone and we now have a short space of time to save ourselves from relegation in this transfer window. 
    Everyone we play currently I feel certain we’ll lose to and sitting here crossing our fingers re players coming back as the games tick by and the gap to relegation narrows is getting more and more uncomfortable each week .

75%  13th-21st ..........................25%     Relegation
  • Options

In your original post you heavily implied that he was playing at 75% of his best (how do you even measure that?), and that there may be nefarious reasons behind that but only 'time will tell'. This was linked to our performance improving after he was substituted. 

I pointed out that we played better in the second half because of our formation change and not because Taylor went off the pitch. The way we were being overrun I think Bowyer would have made that change for the second half, and perhaps if Taylor had not injured himself maybe it would have been Davison who went off.
    I guess you judge someone’s ‘best’ by their previous performances and he was a long way off it tonight. I think it is fair to question whether it was attitudinal or physical. I backed this up by saying that I didn’t believe Taylor would be sacrificed for a tactical change given the team we had out tonight and therefore it would be for a different reason.
    Anyway, we now know he is injured and let’s hope he recovers soon and is back playing against WBA in the league.
  • Options
    Nine days until the WBA league game, and I would be expecting a very different looking squad to what we have seen tonight. Don't imagine that these owners have spent millions buying the club to risk going down to L1, and putting the project back by a year. 

Hopefully we will see some of the deadwood cut adrift (Page, Kayal, Hemed, Field and Leko) - get some of the injured players back in the fold (Williams, Lapslie, Otzumer, JFC, Bonne & others) - get contracts sorted out for Bowyer and his staff.

Secure the future of Cullen - at least until the end of the season, and finalise what is happening with Taylor, surely he is better going as a free agent at the end of the season? Would probably be better for both parties, as I can't see us lining up a suitable replacement in January.

Finally look to bring in (depending on the health of other loanees), another 4-5 players to help us to safety until the end of the season, where we can have a proper squad rotation, and look to push for better things next year.
  • Options
    Nine days until the WBA league game, and I would be expecting a very different looking squad to what we have seen tonight. Don't imagine that these owners have spent millions buying the club to risk going down to L1, and putting the project back by a year. 

Hopefully we will see some of the deadwood cut adrift (Page, Kayal, Hemed, Field and Leko) - get some of the injured players back in the fold (Williams, Lapslie, Otzumer, JFC, Bonne & others) - get contracts sorted out for Bowyer and his staff.

Secure the future of Cullen - at least until the end of the season, and finalise what is happening with Taylor, surely he is better going as a free agent at the end of the season? Would probably be better for both parties, as I can't see us lining up a suitable replacement in January.

Finally look to bring in (depending on the health of other loanees), another 4-5 players to help us to safety until the end of the season, where we can have a proper squad rotation, and look to push for better things next year.
    Well Leko has gone so he's already been cut adrift - Hemed is expected back in training next week
  • Options
    Didn't get to see the game but the scores on the doors are so erratic. How can Purrington get a couple of 5's and yet get 8's also Davidson 4.5 to 7.5 ?

Plus despite the spirit of the team tonight if both Bonne and Taylor are out surely we need two strikers in quickly and they don't come cheap.

• Options
    Would echo what others have said re Matthews and Doughty being great tonight.

I also thought chucking Sarr on was a good move by LB, gave their defenders something completely different to think about and we had a bit more play on the edge of their box in the closing moments because of it.