Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dry Jan / Vegan Jan/ Veggie Jan / No Smoking Jan (any other Jan intentations) Thread

Comments

• Options
    Dry Jan going well so far. Im looking forward to having a drink but not desperate so may keep going until I really do fancy it. I did do some shopping and picked up 4 bottles of beer as work and this whole shitty situation was a bit much but after walking round them, the guilt kicked in and I put them back! haha
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Not drink for 20 days and not really missing it. About half a stone lighter since new year as well. The hard thing will not be going off the rails in February! Maybe try and drag it out for lockdown, gives me the best chance of losing the spare tyre

Think of it this way.  As long as you do not buy any booze from the supermarkets you will not be drinking for a while.  Consequently 20 days could lead to 3 months with all that is going on.
    Saving a few quid, losing weight and becoming healthier, this is all good.
  • Options
    10 days smoke free. 100 “unsmoked” cigarettes.

I have thought “I could do with one” a couple of times but haven’t come remotely close to caving and the thoughts leave my head after a minute. This was mainly last night to be fair!!

Stopping smoking has made me change a few other things for the better too.

Have been feeling very unfit so went for a run for the first time in absolutely ages. 5k in 27 minutes. Not lightning but when you’ve been a couch potato throughout 2020 whilst smoking and drinking it’s a start. Got a right buzz out of it and will keep going with that for sure.

Pretty much the only exercise I’ve done all year is play cricket (involves smoking and drinking) and playing golf (involves smoking and drinking)!

My diet has improved too, and it was never that bad to start with. It’s things like eating fruit instead of a packet of crisps that I’ve changed.

Feeling really good for it. Still early days though.

When you’re jobless it’s nice to have some goals 👍🏻. 

That's bloody good. I've no idea how much cigarettes cost nowadays but I imagine you've also saved a fair amount. (I remember 20 Silk Cut Mauve cost £1.30 when I worked in a newsagents in 1979!)
  • Options

I have thought “I could do with one” a couple of times but haven’t come remotely close to caving and the thoughts leave my head after a minute. This was mainly last night to be fair!!

Have been feeling very unfit so went for a run for the first time in absolutely ages. 5k in 27 minutes. Not lightning but when you’ve been a couch potato throughout 2020 whilst smoking and drinking it’s a start. Got a right buzz out of it and will keep going with that for sure.

Pretty much the only exercise I’ve done all year is play cricket (involves smoking and drinking) and playing golf (involves smoking and drinking)!

My diet has improved too, and it was never that bad to start with. It’s things like eating fruit instead of a packet of crisps that I’ve changed.

That's bloody good. I've no idea how much cigarettes cost nowadays but I imagine you've also saved a fair amount. (I remember 20 Silk Cut Mauve cost £1.30 when I worked in a newsagents in 1979!)
    About £50. Scary.
  • Options
    On a New Year's Eve I had four small bottles of Heineken sitting in the fridge.  These were bought as I was classing that night as a 'special occasion treat'.
    I struggled through the second bottle before pouring it down the sink, it tasted disgusting.  Worrying times :'(
  • Options
    Last year I bought a few non alcoholic beers. Some were better than others (and even drank some Inna restaurant and pub) but haven't bothered this year. Having a zoom social with my mates this weekend, and happy to just have a cuppa
  • Options

Well done, that's amazing! 

Your diet will improve because things will taste better. 
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Not drink for 20 days and not really missing it. About half a stone lighter since new year as well. The hard thing will not be going off the rails in February! Maybe try and drag it out for lockdown, gives me the best chance of losing the spare tyre
    I've been doing Dry January and also not really missing it. But as I got lots of gin as Christmas presents, I need to start drinking again at some point! 
  • Options
    According to my Drink Free Days app, I have saved £69 and dodged the equivalent of 14 chocolate bars, by staying dry this month.

By the way I see that Gordons now have a 0% gin. Anyone tried it? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On a New Year's Eve I had four small bottles of Heineken sitting in the fridge.  These were bought as I was classing that night as a 'special occasion treat'.
    I struggled through the second bottle before pouring it down the sink, it tasted disgusting.  Worrying times :'(
    To be fair Gazza Heineken tastes disgusting at the best of times. 
  • Options

If the Whitstable Blonde in the Bricklayers Arms goes the same way, I might have to call things a day.
    I cannot go down the road of real ale.
  • Options

If the Whitstable Blonde in the Bricklayers Arms goes the same way, I might have to call things a day.
    Pink gin is your friend
  • Options

Pink gin is your friend
    Hmmmmm, I'll give it a go.

• Options

Pink gin is your friend
    Hmmmmm, I'll give it a go.

Proper pink gin though. Not the ones sold with berries colouring the gin.

A dash of Angostura bitters in the glass and then the gin. Lovely.
  • Options
    Still dry. 42 days done.  31 to go.
  • Options
    Completed dry jan. Gonna do a dry march as well. Shift some weight before we are released back into the wild 
  • Options
    2121 said:
    Completed dry jan. Gonna do a dry march as well. Shift some weight before we are released back into the wild 
    You'll be a 30" waist by then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone giving up stuff for Lent? 

Like @AFKABartram I have decided to give up chocolate, due to the huge amount I've been eating every day for the past year. I've had to hide it all in a cupboard in the hope that I might forget it's there!
  • Options
    Wilma said:

Like @AFKABartram I have decided to give up chocolate, due to the huge amount I've been eating every day for the past year. I've had to hide it all in a cupboard in the hope that I might forget it's there!
    If your anything like me (god help you) you won't be able to forget it will you Wilma.
    The only thing that temps me is temptation so Wima.
    Go on and eat the chocolate and when its finished don't buy any more. 
    Its the only way. 
  • Options
    Wilma said:

If your anything like me (god help you) you won't be able to forget it will you Wilma.
    The only thing that temps me is temptation so Wima.
    Its the only way. 
    The only thing that temps me is temptation, so Wima.
    Its the only way. 
  • Options
    Doing Dry January, 10 days in & found it quite easy TBH. I want to give up drinking totally but there’s quite a big drinking culture within the family which I struggle with - even mentioning Dry January was met with ridicule!

I’m quite a weak person in truth :-) 
  • Options
    I am on to my 4th dry Jan/Feb in a row.  I always find the first 40 or so days quite easy but the last 20 a real struggle. 

The first year I did it I stayed dry till March 6th iirc as that was the w/e.. I then jumped on a coach to Belgium for the protests and in early afternoon I was in a pub listening to the 2% band and asking for their weakest beer to start things off - it was 6.2%
  • Options
    Great work @Addickted2TheReds well done mate 
  • Options
    I’m meat free again for Jan, all good so far 
  • Options
    I’m meat free again for Jan, all good so far 
    Genuinely think I’d struggle with a meat free diet, I miss food more than alcohol! Dry January is a doddle, but meat free January, I’d be climbing the walls, well done boss! 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Managed to quit tobacco last Jan, trying to stop vapes now.

11 days so far