Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dry Jan / Vegan Jan/ Veggie Jan / No Smoking Jan (any other Jan intentations) Thread

Comments

• Options
    Probably a mistake but I started dry January straight after xmas day so as to prevent last minute binges. So this is day 4 and I thought I'd have masses of energy and feel much better by now. Just how long does it take before you notice any positive change?
    12 months.
    If I thought that was true I'd open the wine now
  • Options
    Probably a mistake but I started dry January straight after xmas day so as to prevent last minute binges. So this is day 4 and I thought I'd have masses of energy and feel much better by now. Just how long does it take before you notice any positive change?
    My sleep massively improved after about week 1 after I did it in November which really made me happy as i do struggle with sleep. 

• Options
    Curb_It said:
    My sleep massively improved after about week 1 after I did it in November which really made me happy as i do struggle with sleep. 

That's good to hear. I'm guessing you drink again now?! What made you go back to it and have you noticed any change now?
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

That's good to hear. I'm guessing you drink again now?! What made you go back to it and have you noticed any change now?
    She falls over a lot more now than she did in November.
  • Options
    One thing I noticed was that normally I'd have a drink or three in the evening (not every evening, but maybe 4 out of 7) before bed, but when cutting out completely I'd have a sore throat and be dehydrated after a week. I take to having a decaf tea in the evening which helps
  • Options
    I have very good intentions of not drinking, however at the end of the working week that resolve is likely to fail.
  • Options
    Keep at it. I've done dry Jan the last two years. I'm quite a heavy drinker - wine mostly, and most nights. I find the first week the worst - crap sleep and usual withdrawal effects but once you're over that you'll start to feel the benefit. Aiming to do it again, and cut back on carbs. Good luck!

Thank you. I'd not really taken into account withdrawal effects - will give it longer!
    Out of interest, at the end of each dry Jan you've done, what makes you restart the wine? Do you drink less afterwards?
    I guess it's habit. I always have good intentions not to drink as much but consumption easily creeps up!
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Only stopped for a month in November while pubs were shut so I could enjoy myself in January when the pubs were reopen...it wasn’t permanent.

This January is going to be a very tough month so I won’t make it more miserable. Got to have something to look forward to on a Friday night.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
  • Options
    January really drags doesn't it? Is it the longest month of the year? Is it February yet?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I feel like that guy in Airplane who picked the wrong day to give up glue sniffing. Still, no booze, on a diet, homeschooling the kids whilst trying to work. I'm having so much fun right now!

If I haven't lost weight at the end of the month I will be displeased
  • Options
    Just gone 4 days without smoking. The longest I haven’t smoked in 10 years.

Finding it easy so far, but big test tomorrow as I’ll be drinking for the first time since I decided to stop.

I downloaded an app to keep track of time since quitting/money saving/cigarettes not smoked and that is helping as I’m competitive and will hate to have to reset the numbers. 

Clearly too early for any massive physical benefits but it’s making me feel better mentally to be on the way to achieving something. Have felt very stagnated this year and struggling to progress with many things so this is good.

Anyway, early days yet...
    Well done, keep at it.
  • Options
    We’ve been vegan now for a week or so. Not as hard to do as I had feared. Decided to give this a go at Xmas and after consuming all our non vegan stuff after the New Year settled into it.

• Options
    Well done @Addickted2TheReds

stick with it mate, mentally tell yourself that every day the nicotine levels are lower than the previous dat, so every day is physically easier than the day before. 

Giving up smoking is undoubtedly my best achievement in life tempered with anger I had not done it many years earlier. 
  • Options

stick with it mate, mentally tell yourself that every day the nicotine levels are lower than the previous dat, so every day is physically easier than the day before. 

Giving up smoking is undoubtedly my best achievement in life tempered with anger I had not done it many years earlier. 
    Cheers mate. 

Will do my best - feeing very confident about it though. However I can’t say I have had a proper craving yet if I’m honest.

I think I was so ready to give up that maybe it won’t be so difficult. Think I would have struggled if I’d forced myself if that makes sense.

Thankfully age is on my side, if I kick it now then smoking throughout my teens and early twenties wasn’t the end of the world. 
  • Options

Cheers mate. 

Will do my best - feeing very confident about it though. However I can’t say I have had a proper craving yet if I’m honest.

I think I was so ready to give up that maybe it won’t be so difficult. Think I would have struggled if I’d forced myself if that makes sense.

Thankfully age is on my side, if I kick it now then smoking throughout my teens and early twenties wasn’t the end of the world. 
    I think this is the key thing to successfully stopping smoking - actually really wanting to do it. I stopped last year and am now over one year smoke free. By the end of 2019 I had had enough of being ill all the time and felt like a pariah going outside for a smoke when on a night out. Smoking actually made me feel bad physically and mentally.

Well done for stopping and stick with it.

(I am now the worst kind of ex-smoker, I hate the smell of it and am constantly preaching to my Mum about giving up!)
  • Options
    Brilliant @Wilma well done
  • Options
    Wilma said:

Cheers mate. 

I think this is the key thing to successfully stopping smoking - actually really wanting to do it. I stopped last year and am now over one year smoke free. By the end of 2019 I had had enough of being ill all the time and felt like a pariah going outside for a smoke when on a night out. Smoking actually made me feel bad physically and mentally.

Well done for stopping and stick with it.

(I am now the worst kind of ex-smoker, I hate the smell of it and am constantly preaching to my Mum about giving up!)
    I don't preach but do find I hate the smell of it now, and find I can't believe people still do it. 

Great work giving up, you're right that being ready to is the key, I found thinking I really should or trying to force myself to never worked. 

Try to remember the drink thing is just habit, this is the bit I was most nervous of, but once I got through the first night, I felt really good about myself, then it gets easier. 
  • Options
    iainment said:
    We’ve been vegan now for a week or so. Not as hard to do as I had feared. Decided to give this a go at Xmas and after consuming all our non vegan stuff after the New Year settled into it.

Well done,  Veganuary for me too.  Been vegetarian since last May so bit easier for me but thought I'd really miss cream and cheese.  Actually finding it easier than I thought.  Lots of vegan stuff in the supermarkets and having almond or coconut or even soya milk in coffee is actual better!  Plenty of non-dairy cream and butter alternatives that are really good.  Supplementing diet with vitamin B12 as thats a vitamin thats mainly provided from meat and fish.  Only thing I haven't found is a decent non-dairy blue cheese equivalent.  Can see me staying with it...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    presumably Scotty Wagstaff has gone vegie/vegan since signing for Forest Green ?
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    iainment said:

Well done,  Veganuary for me too.  Been vegetarian since last May so bit easier for me but thought I'd really miss cream and cheese.  Actually finding it easier than I thought.  Lots of vegan stuff in the supermarkets and having almond or coconut or even soya milk in coffee is actual better!  Plenty of non-dairy cream and butter alternatives that are really good.  Supplementing diet with vitamin B12 as thats a vitamin thats mainly provided from meat and fish.  Only thing I haven't found is a decent non-dairy blue cheese equivalent.  Can see me staying with it...
    Well done to you too!
    We have been dithering about doing this for some time. We went vegetarian about 8 years ago and probably thought we should go vegan about 5 years ago. 
    So far so good.
  • Options
    The only thing I regret about going vegan is not doing it a whole lot sooner.
  • Options
    The only thing I regret about going vegan is not doing it a whole lot sooner.
    Believe in the after life.
  • Options
    has everyone that is doing a vegan January going full blown, changing their make up and hair products etc or just doing the food side for the time being?

I'd never really considered that things like hair gel is a non vegan product until the Mrs. got me a different one and I noticed on the back that its vegan 
  • Options
    has everyone that is doing a vegan January going full blown, changing their make up and hair products etc or just doing the food side for the time being?

I'd never really considered that things like hair gel is a non vegan product until the Mrs. got me a different one and I noticed on the back that its vegan 
    Of course. Watch out for beers and wines too. Some are vegan some (most) are not.
  • Options
    And you can't really call golf exercise either!
  • Options
    Not drink for 20 days and not really missing it. About half a stone lighter since new year as well. The hard thing will not be going off the rails in February! Maybe try and drag it out for lockdown, gives me the best chance of losing the spare tyre