Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dry Jan / Vegan Jan/ Veggie Jan / No Smoking Jan (any other Jan intentations) Thread

Comments

• I did dry November 4th till 4th December. Very easy to do while the pubs were shut. Never really done dry January as very difficult having a birthday that month.

Went on a stroll today... had a lovely afternoon. Of course there will be loads on here having a moan but If you’re feeling low and need to go out for a pint 

• Last 3 years I have done a dry Jan and Feb... Imagine my joy to start March 2020 knowing I could enjoy a boozy trip to a pub again... Didn't last long.  😟.

It has been a great way for me to start a more healthy year and lose a couple of stone, invariably it has been weight that has returned by year end though.

This year, I just can't see me managing Jan, let alone Feb.  Stuck inside for work, entertainment, likely homeschool thrown in.  I will need a vice to keep me sane.
  • Curb_It said:
    I did dry November 4th till 4th December. Very easy to do while the pubs were shut. Never really done dry January as very difficult having a birthday that month.

Went on a stroll today... had a lovely afternoon. Of course there will be loads on here having a moan but If you’re feeling low and need to go out for a pint 

Where did you get that?
  • Gave up drinking 36 years ago because i couldn’t stand the hangovers and bad guts anymore. I don’t regret it one bit, in fact i wish i’d never started ( same goes for smoking)

The hardest bit is socially but you’ll soon get over that.
  • edited December 2020
    Dry Jan for me. Done it every year for the past four years. It's difficult when it coincides with Chinese New Year and a massive family gathering on the wife's side but don't think that's going to be a problem this time around! 

I find it hard at points but I enjoy the way it resets your relationship with alcohol, particularly after Christmas, and I feel so much healthier and more energetic.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    With Xmas over and 2021 fast approaching my mind has turned to what I'd like to change in the new year. Last year I joined the 'getting stoned' group and shifted 1.5 stone taking me back under 9 stone for the first time in 20 years. I've felt much better for it so I'm going to try and tackle something that is much, much, much more difficult for me - my relationship with alcohol. I 'like a drink' I think the phrase is, and with all the COVID stuff going on this year my intake has been even worse than usual. I drink every evening - mainly wine. I try and justify it but really I'm just kidding myself.

So this year I'm going for dry January for starters to see what difference that makes to how I feel etc. I've had spells off of alcohol before, the longest being 9 months (not pregnancy!) but have always felt pretty 'bored' if that's the right word. Maybe it's just not stressed but I can't tell the difference! Anyway, will be giving it a try to see if I can get a healthier relationship with drink in 2021.
    Good luck. I gave up booze around 8 years ago now, like you I drank most days. I'm not 100% tea total but drink maybe a few times a year, such as champagne on Christmas day (which washy first drink this year since June).
    What differences/benefits have you noticed by giving up?
    I felt less tired/groggy in the mornings for sure and more energy. Save a bundle of money too!
  • I've been doing  dry Jan for over 30 years now, must admit that this year might be a challenge but my football loving neighbour wants to join me and offer "mutual support" (which in his case is a quite high quality line in banter, until Sparta lose badly) so I gotta do it.

The local small breweries tend to have quite short sell-by dates, so I've marked up the bottles that expire before 1st Feb, these need to be drunk between now and end Wednesday, NYE gotta be bubbles.

I also tend to stop drinking coffee for the first two weeks too. After then I am definitely sleeping more deeply as well as feeling more refreshed in the mornings. Usually see a weight dividend by end month too.

I also have used the Dry January app, wherein you record your non-drinking and it calculates how much you've saved, in UK prices. But as an app, it's a pile of pooh, always crashing, so if anyone knows of better ones, I'm interested.  
  • I may do Veggie January, at home we're largely veggie cos my daughter is. I'd struggle with Veganuary as I drink about 6 cups of tea a day. I tried drinking it black years ago but it just doesn't work with PG Tips and London water. And most of our family veggie recipes involve copious amounts of cheese or are too spicy for the kids to eat.
    Hardest thing will be when I'm in the office. Been buying more from the cafe to help keep them going but if it's take away only the only veggie option is fried egg sandwich. I've almost done Dry January before, and it ought to be easier with no going out, but suspect I will need the odd beer or two just to get me through the week - expecting a stressful month at work. 

• With Xmas over and 2021 fast approaching my mind has turned to what I'd like to change in the new year. Last year I joined the 'getting stoned' group and shifted 1.5 stone taking me back under 9 stone for the first time in 20 years. I've felt much better for it so I'm going to try and tackle something that is much, much, much more difficult for me - my relationship with alcohol. I 'like a drink' I think the phrase is, and with all the COVID stuff going on this year my intake has been even worse than usual. I drink every evening - mainly wine. I try and justify it but really I'm just kidding myself.

So this year I'm going for dry January for starters to see what difference that makes to how I feel etc. I've had spells off of alcohol before, the longest being 9 months (not pregnancy!) but have always felt pretty 'bored' if that's the right word. Maybe it's just not stressed but I can't tell the difference! Anyway, will be giving it a try to see if I can get a healthier relationship with drink in 2021.
    Everything in moderation perhaps? Stick to the accepted units per week.
    But who am I to preach?!!!!!

• Sponsored links:

• Well done Elf.
    PS I saw your film the other day and thought it was very good.
  • No plans to give up anything. Quite like a January drink actually.
    I am going to try to run a few times a week though, for my mental health more than anything.
  • edited December 2020
    finally might try and give up the smokes in jan - probably smoke 4-5 a work day but weekends once the beer is out can be 20-30 in a day/night. its costing me a fortune, im out of breath a lot and the mrs would be over the moon, have got allen carrs book for xmas ( that was a bit of a hint from her indoors ) anyone else quit and how was it? the biggest for me i bloody love a cigarette i actually enjoy them.

having been so busy in work ( heating ) since october i've laid of the midweek boozing as summer months we generally only work 6/7 hour days i was back in the garden by 5pm most days and casually sail through 6/7 beers thinkings its normal. dont drink anything else other than beer but again i bloody love a pint. 
  • finally might try and give up the smokes in jan - probably smoke 4-5 a work day but weekends once the beer is out can be 20-30 in a day/night. its costing me a fortune, im out of breath a lot and the mrs would be over the moon, have got allen carrs book for xmas ( that was a bit of a hint from her indoors ) anyone else quit and how was it? the biggest for me i bloody love a cigarette i actually enjoy them.

having been so busy in work ( heating ) since october i've laid of the midweek boozing as summer months we generally only work 6/7 hour days i was back in the garden by 5pm most days and casually sail through 6/7 beers thinkings its normal. dont drink anything else other than beer but again i bloody love a pint. 
    I found the Alan Carr book quite helpful. Good luck and don’t forget you’re not giving up you’re gaining a smoke free future.
  • edited December 2020
  • edited December 2020
    Well done Elf.
    PS I saw your film the other day and thought it was very good.

Unfortunately my agent took the majority of the money.
    I'm still shopping in Poundland.
  • finally might try and give up the smokes in jan - probably smoke 4-5 a work day but weekends once the beer is out can be 20-30 in a day/night. its costing me a fortune, im out of breath a lot and the mrs would be over the moon, have got allen carrs book for xmas ( that was a bit of a hint from her indoors ) anyone else quit and how was it? the biggest for me i bloody love a cigarette i actually enjoy them.

I quit back in late September after getting ill again, I use a vape but don't have any nicotine now and it's most habit of holding something I've found.

I smoked 40 a day and smoked since I was 15, although not 30 yet. 

I quit back in late September after getting ill again, I use a vape but don't have any nicotine now and it's most habit of holding something I've found.

I smoked 40 a day and smoked since I was 15, although not 30 yet. 

That's about £500 a month? Blimey.

Same here. That’s why I went to a hypnotist - did the job for me!
  • Sponsored links:

• Boom said:
    finally might try and give up the smokes in jan - probably smoke 4-5 a work day but weekends once the beer is out can be 20-30 in a day/night. its costing me a fortune, im out of breath a lot and the mrs would be over the moon, have got allen carrs book for xmas ( that was a bit of a hint from her indoors ) anyone else quit and how was it? the biggest for me i bloody love a cigarette i actually enjoy them.

Same here. That’s why I went to a hypnotist - did the job for me!
    He also somehow managed to convince you that you are funny, have a massive cock and can do a job at left back.

None of which are true. 
  • Dry Jan as usual for me this year. I always overdo Christmas, maybe not so much this year but it's definitely not healthy drinking a lot indoors. Each year seems to get easier and with little opportunities to go out in the early part of next year I may just try and keep it going as long as I can.

Also looking to give up the e-cigs, stopped smoking cigarettes around 4 years ago and they are well off the radar (though maybe once a year I'll treat myself to a cigar). I've managed to lower the nicotine down on my e-cigs to the minimum but can't quite seem to take that final step. Will do at some point in the new year, might be too much with dry Jan at the same time but we'll see. 
  • Dry January for the third year running. Thinking of starting running again, really miss parkrun.  Having my post-40 MOT tomorrow so no doubt be told some grim news. I have recently lost weight, so heading in the right direction there and reckon no booze will help 
  • Good thing is that after the pandemic many pubs won’t re-open making it easier to be dry all year round.
  • edited December 2020
    Dry Jan for me. Had a pretty bad accident a couple years back (physically, not pissed myself!) And it changed my mindset...I have drank and been hungover since but only in places I feel comfortable and safe. The one time I got drunk out and about I had a panic attack the next day.

Hoping to shift some timber aswell 👌
  • Probably a mistake but I started dry January straight after xmas day so as to prevent last minute binges. So this is day 4 and I thought I'd have masses of energy and feel much better by now. Just how long does it take before you notice any positive change?
  • Probably a mistake but I started dry January straight after xmas day so as to prevent last minute binges. So this is day 4 and I thought I'd have masses of energy and feel much better by now. Just how long does it take before you notice any positive change?
    Keep at it. I've done dry Jan the last two years. I'm quite a heavy drinker - wine mostly, and most nights. I find the first week the worst - crap sleep and usual withdrawal effects but once you're over that you'll start to feel the benefit. Aiming to do it again, and cut back on carbs. Good luck!
    12 months.
    Keep at it. I've done dry Jan the last two years. I'm quite a heavy drinker - wine mostly, and most nights. I find the first week the worst - crap sleep and usual withdrawal effects but once you're over that you'll start to feel the benefit. Aiming to do it again, and cut back on carbs. Good luck!

Thank you. I'd not really taken into account withdrawal effects - will give it longer!
    Out of interest, at the end of each dry Jan you've done, what makes you restart the wine? Do you drink less afterwards?