Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dry Jan / Vegan Jan/ Veggie Jan / No Smoking Jan (any other Jan intentations) Thread

Comments

• Options
    I had such a bad hangover yesterday that the only way I could cope was to have a couple of beers...so that didn't get off to a good start.
    Finally made it to two days without alcohol for the first time in about 3 months or more...obsessively going on the scales twice a day "oh no!  I'm 3 pounds heavier, what the fuck is going on?"
    Well done on the alcohol.

never weigh more frequently than once a week, in a similar time scenario. It can become obsessive and you body can fluctuate a fair bit. 
    Ive got into the bad habbit of weighing myself every morning and it can be a proper headf***.
  • Options
    I weigh myself daily too, despite knowing perfectly well the reasons why it is not recommended. But it does mean that on the app I have a graphical database which helped me understand the seasonal variations. I suppose that doing it weekly could also over time porduce a similarly accurate long term pattern. But it is important to do it same time each day, or at least relative to when you actually get out of bed.

I can often see a variation of a kilo a day, which I am told is often a water retention issue. In past Dry Jans the graph shows it has taken about 3 weeks before I made any significant downward progress. So when we issue our first update tomorrow, nobody should worry if they have not lost anything or even shown a small gain. 
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    At least if you are weighing yourself daily, do a pre and post dump weigh in. Pretend you are a boxer trying to make the weight for extra drama
    Done the pre/post dump weighing a fair few times! 
  • Options
    I read a funny comment on You Tube last night:

"I weighed 85kg in January" 

"I weighed 93kg In May"

"I lost 5 months" 
  • Options
    I’ve lost 8lb so far. Just another 70 to go!
    That is a cracking start, well done and keep it up.
  • Options
    Soy fake meat pieces from meatless farm co...(think that's their name, product name very wrong) Texture just like chicken, absorbs flavour like chicken.

Good replacement option.
  • Options
    I had such a bad hangover yesterday that the only way I could cope was to have a couple of beers...so that didn't get off to a good start.
    Finally made it to two days without alcohol for the first time in about 3 months or more...obsessively going on the scales twice a day "oh no!  I'm 3 pounds heavier, what the fuck is going on?"
    Well done on the alcohol.

never weigh more frequently than once a week, in a similar time scenario. It can become obsessive and you body can fluctuate a fair bit. 
    Ive got into the bad habbit of weighing myself every morning and it can be a proper headf***.
    So long as you see a downward trend over time, it's all good. 
  • Options
    Seems I've lost 3lbs since 28 December. 14st10lb and a half down to 14st7.5lb... that's just natural variation in my book. Will check again on Saturday, and see if there's any more change. Luckily it takes a lot of calories to stay this Rubenesque, so lots of cutting room.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Christ my weight fluctuated by 6lbs yesterday...
  • Options
    Last day of January, how is everyone doing? Are you all going back to meat eating tomorrow or sticking with the vegan diets? Teetotal forever or binge drinking all weekend?

I have given up vaping now so completely nicotine free. Do need to find a gym/start exercising though before I burst out of my clothes! 
  • Options

Well done @wilma great achievement.

I'll be back to meat on Sunday (roast beef). As observed halfway through, vegan would be too far for me to go, vegetarian i could probably do under duress but not fully enjoy, pescatarian i could easily maintain if i wanted.

I wanted to see if removing meat for a month had any positive benefit on me. It may well have done, but i've not seen or felt any of it tbh.

• Options
    I've gone from 95kg at the start of December to 102kg today. January has not been great   :D  I'm just telling people i'm bulking.....
  • Options

I'll be back to meat on Sunday (roast beef). As observed halfway through, vegan would be too far for me to go, vegetarian i could probably do under duress but not fully enjoy, pescatarian i could easily maintain if i wanted.

I wanted to see if removing meat for a month had any positive benefit on me. It may well have done, but i've not seen or felt any of it tbh.

Would be difficult to discern, especially over such a short time, and of course would depend on how you replaced it. If you replaced it effectively with more fresh veg and oily fish you might expect your digestive system to function better, and you might see a drop in chloresterol level, but again, not sure if 1 month is long enough.
  • Options
    Done the full month vegan, not been very difficult at all at tea time, but lunch has been tough. I work on an industrial estate in Basildon so the variation for lunch has been tough. I've really missed cheese, not missed meat much or fish. Loved eating more fresh food though, hated having to check every bloody label.

Have lost some fat across the middle which I'm happy with. My takeaway from it will be hopefully to cut rubbish meat out completely and then eat at least 3 or 4 vegan meals a week. No more milk either I don't think. 
  • Options
    Well that all went very well.

• Options
    Wilma said:
    Last day of January, how is everyone doing? Are you all going back to meat eating tomorrow or sticking with the vegan diets? Teetotal forever or binge drinking all weekend?

I have given up vaping now so completely nicotine free. Do need to find a gym/start exercising though before I burst out of my clothes! 
    Lost 5kg since Christmas. Won't be sticking vegan, will go 90% vegetarian with meat 2 meals maximum per week.

Personally didn't enjoy it as much as people led me to believe. Hated how it's made me feel, but it was easier than I thought.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Dry Veganuary started a bit late so few days to go yet, only thing I have missed is red wine.
    Been easy (been veggie most of my life anyway) and have lost a couple of pounds.
    I will definitely be more vegan in future - will really try to minimise dairy, especially cow dairy - primarily due to environmental impact, but also because the life of most cows is one of the most wretched lives on the planet.
    No more dairy milk (oat and pea milks).
    No more butter (vegan block, which is very good).
    Minimal cow's cheese, won't have so much cheese anymore and will prioritise goat and ewe's cheeses.
    Will check ingredients and try to buy vegan options where possible for all sorts of things like bread, crisps, chocolate, veggie sausages etc.
  • Options
    Half way through my dry Jan/Feb.  Not been a problem so far (except the 2nd Jan takeover related piss up).  Also off sweets, chocolate, cake, pop, crisps, rice, pasta and potatoes.

About 9lb lighter, a lot fitter due to some running... But looking forward to a beer in March!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    End of month pop to pub with work tonight. Shall see if they have any alcohol free beers. Must admit, there have been times when I've been dying for a drink at home, and I've resisted
     Wondering if there are some old psychological cues that make me reach for the bottle. Bit scary actually, makes me realise I was on a bad path. I did dry jan last year, hoping I can actually make some permanent changes to my lifestyle. Certainly saved some money.
  • Options
    Brewdog's Nanny State is an enjoyable low alcohol beer, as is the Japanese on in Wagamama.
  • Options
    4 hours til I can munch a chocolate biscuit! 
  • Options
    Dryish January in that I won't drink at home BUT will drink when out socially which will over halve my drinking intake for the month
    And I managed it too. 4 hours to go before I neck 10 beers, 5 bottles of wine and a bottle of scotch to make up for my lower alcohol intake in January!
  • Options
    Salad said:
    Brewdog's Nanny State is an enjoyable low alcohol beer, as is the Japanese on in Wagamama.
    The Lidl alcohol free wheat beer is surprisingly acceptable, dirt cheap too at 69p for a 500ml bottle!
  • Options
    Just had a few Beck's Blue. Passable. 

Quite liked Adnams Ghost Ship, and had one yesterday called Shipyard which was good
  • Options
    Just finishing Dry January as well for the first time.

Don’t drink that much usually anyway (mainly weekends), so can’t honestly say I’ve seen or felt any major differences.

But it did get easier as the month went on, and the bottles of whiskey and bourbon started to hold less allure.

Have now developed a taste for cherry soda instead, so probably just as unhealthy in a different way...
  • Options

You essentially done shock therapy, if you fancy giving it another go without pressuring yourself just do one day a week to begin with, then two blah blah blah

I'm pescatarian now and as I only seem to enjoy bad fish like scampi and prawns which I rarely eat it's relatively easy.

If it makes you think twice about having saline injected, antibiotics fuelled, salty, crap quality meat you will feel a lot better 

• Options
    Dry January for me, and stopping chocolate and crisps (the latter my go to snack). Attempted to give up one thing each month in 2019 (including using the lift at work - am on 6th floor), but only managed until July; hope to make it further this year.
    Succeeded! Struggled most with the "no crisps" but resisted the temptation. Havent stepped on scales and dont expect to have shed much weight as havent been very active, but looking forward to tucking into a nice bottle of Marlborough Sauv Blanc that's currently chilling in the fridge later.
  • Options
    Dry January

Obvs gonna go get some beers to celebrate