Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dry Jan / Vegan Jan/ Veggie Jan / No Smoking Jan (any other Jan intentations) Thread

Comments

• Options
    Got some strange German Christmas beer in the fridge for a month. Suddenly it's looking like nectar
  • Options
    With Xmas over and 2021 fast approaching my mind has turned to what I'd like to change in the new year. Last year I joined the 'getting stoned' group and shifted 1.5 stone taking me back under 9 stone for the first time in 20 years. I've felt much better for it so I'm going to try and tackle something that is much, much, much more difficult for me - my relationship with alcohol. I 'like a drink' I think the phrase is, and with all the COVID stuff going on this year my intake has been even worse than usual. I drink every evening - mainly wine. I try and justify it but really I'm just kidding myself.

So this year I'm going for dry January for starters to see what difference that makes to how I feel etc. I've had spells off of alcohol before, the longest being 9 months (not pregnancy!) but have always felt pretty 'bored' if that's the right word. Maybe it's just not stressed but I can't tell the difference! Anyway, will be giving it a try to see if I can get a healthier relationship with drink in 2021.
    Good luck  :)
  • Options
    With Xmas over and 2021 fast approaching my mind has turned to what I'd like to change in the new year. Last year I joined the 'getting stoned' group and shifted 1.5 stone taking me back under 9 stone for the first time in 20 years. I've felt much better for it so I'm going to try and tackle something that is much, much, much more difficult for me - my relationship with alcohol. I 'like a drink' I think the phrase is, and with all the COVID stuff going on this year my intake has been even worse than usual. I drink every evening - mainly wine. I try and justify it but really I'm just kidding myself.

So this year I'm going for dry January for starters to see what difference that makes to how I feel etc. I've had spells off of alcohol before, the longest being 9 months (not pregnancy!) but have always felt pretty 'bored' if that's the right word. Maybe it's just not stressed but I can't tell the difference! Anyway, will be giving it a try to see if I can get a healthier relationship with drink in 2021.
    Good luck, I really hope it goes well for you, I'll be going on the same journey! Just finishing this kebab and whiskey and then I'm starting... Tomorrow, in fact no, Jan 1st.
  • Options
    @Arsenetatters. I have no doubt you can achieve what you aim to. You go girl!!
  • Options

Good luck. I gave up booze around 8 years ago now, like you I drank most days. I'm not 100% tea total but drink maybe a few times a year, such as champagne on Christmas day (which washy first drink this year since June).
  • Options
    Didn't have the usual pre Christmas get togethers with friends due to the restrictions. Ill over Christmas itself, so not been drinking

I desperately need to get back to the gym (which I'm not doing until I'm vaccinated) but for once don't have to have a dry (or dryish) January!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Good luck. I gave up booze around 8 years ago now, like you I drank most days. I'm not 100% tea total but drink maybe a few times a year, such as champagne on Christmas day (which washy first drink this year since June).
    What differences/benefits have you noticed by giving up?
  • Options
    I haven’t run since getting cellulitis of the leg in 2012. I’ve worried that my leg isn’t up to it and have just cycled since. The muscle that wasted away whilst ill has been back for some time but I’ve been scared of doing load bearing exercise on it. 
    I’m going to give it a go from next week. I’ve really missed running.
    🏃‍♀️  🏃‍♂️ 🏃 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Giving up booze. Can go weeks and even months without it but proper binge when I do and the trade off of the hangovers isn't worth it

Listening to a good audiobook "Alcohol explained" at the moment which has cemented my decision that it's not for me.
  • Options
    I think it would be a nice idea to put away a little bit of money, from the money saved by not drinking, to save up for the day we are all allowed back in pubs, properly. 

And then meet up in @Spitfire76 's pub and get absolutely wasted, drinking him dry.
  • Options
    Once I get the vaccine will rejoin the gym and get back up there regularly.
  • Options
    Back on veganuary, the better half and kids will be doing veggie January

• Options
    I need to give up the smokes once and for all. I’ve cut down but that isn’t enough, my lungs need to heal after abusing them for years. Work is a blessing because it’s a non-smoking environment and I have to go twelve hours without having a tab. We can vape but I use niquitin minis instead when I’m on shift.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    I'm planning on doing my bit for the economy by buying and drinking as much booze as possible, preferably from local independent sources.

All I need is a catchy hashtag before I launch. I'm torn between calling in "Get battered for Boris" or "Get smashed for Sunak". 

I hope you will all support the cause and that it catches on.
    Get hammered for the hospitality sector
    Get gin-soaked for GDP
    Festivity for economic activity

I'm willing to sacrifice myself

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

He gets less pissed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Boom said:
    Rob7Lee said:

He gets less pissed.
    That's not a benefit. What else can deflect from reality better than a good pish up?
  • Options
    “Difference” - not benefit
  • Options
    Been vegetarian since May.  Doing Veganuary....will see how it goes...
  • Options
    Good luck to anyone giving up their tiny bit of happiness, in the worst January expected in our lifetime.
    Exactly. F**k that!
  • Options
    Good luck to anyone giving up their tiny bit of happiness, in the worst January expected in our lifetime.

I've been using that excuse all of 2020.
  • Options
    When Bowyer starts against Hull with 6 defenders on the pitch and leave Maddison and Williams out altogether, I imagine a few dry January promises will be broken  :D
  • Options
    I'm going for a dry January but it does overly depend on my prostate.
  • Options
    Stopped drinking 3 years ago, exercise every day for at least an hour and eat as healthily as I can with the exception of my crisp addiction. Get through at least one 150g grab bag a day so will be attempting to get through Jan without any demon potato snacks passing my lips