Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dry Jan / Vegan Jan/ Veggie Jan / No Smoking Jan (any other Jan intentations) Thread

Comments

• Options
    robroy said:
    **** DRY JANUARY IS CANCELLED***
    I've already started. Prosecco and vodka martinis are on the menu today! 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sounds silly but I am going to do something that gives me joy, real joy, every day in January.   I don't mean things I like doing that I do daily anyway.  I mean something that actually makes me positively happy. 

I did it a couple of years ago and the effect on my general well being was amazing. 
    Today was the easiest day ever :-) 
  • Options
    Dry January for me, and stopping chocolate and crisps (the latter my go to snack). Attempted to give up one thing each month in 2019 (including using the lift at work - am on 6th floor), but only managed until July; hope to make it further this year.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Good luck @Wilma believe me, you can do it (and then wonder after what all the fuss was about)
  • Options
    robroy said:
    **** DRY JANUARY IS CANCELLED***
    Bloody ESI, ruining our good intentions  :D
  • Options
    Have friends staying until the 5th but will attempt dry-January (or what remains of it!) after that. 

Have done it previously and it’s actually fairly easy, in reality I would happily not drink from today. 

Really want to try and cut down on the amount of meat I eat generally, maybe by doing one or two nights a week veggie/vegan so will be interested to see how others are getting on with Veganuary. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Here’s some plant based inspiration for @Dazzler21 and anyone else wanting to move away from meat and dairy.

https://youtu.be/z7yBerP7WlE
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had my first tea with oat milk, delighted to say it was fine! Only have a little bit of milk in my tea but I was worried by this one. 
  • Options
    Had my first tea with oat milk, delighted to say it was fine! Only have a little bit of milk in my tea but I was worried by this one. 
    That’s great. I usually go for soy in tea and almond in coffee. They’re alright. Difficult to go back to cow’s milk once you get used to them.
  • Options
    @AddickUpNorth - You're so right about tofu, I absolutely hated it in England, boring, bland and basically rubbish, however since moving to China I have come to absolutely love the stuff, in almost all varieties, the stinkier the better! If you can find a vegan version of Mapa doufu, I'd highly recommend it.
  • Options
    Here’s some plant based inspiration for @Dazzler21 and anyone else wanting to move away from meat and dairy.

I feel the hardest thing will be the removal of Dairy. Soured cream and cheese are the only ones I regularly have in Fajita's, pasta sauces etc... 

I think I can probably survive beyond January on a mostly vegetarian diet, probably one meat meal a week for enjoyment... 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I feel the hardest thing will be the removal of Dairy. Soured cream and cheese are the only ones I regularly have in Fajita's, pasta sauces etc... 

I think I can probably survive beyond January on a mostly vegetarian diet, probably one meat meal a week for enjoyment... 
    I think it depends on your motivation. Mine started as health but the more I learned about the ethics of dairy, the more determined I was to cut it out. Taste vs life, and all that....

Good luck anyway!
  • Options
    Dry January for me. Did it last year, and it wasn't too difficult. Though my neighbour has just given me a load of beers for feeding their cats. Shall have to wait. 

Sorted out breakfasts, used to eat total junk from the train station/walk to work. We are talking parties, bacon sandwiches, maccys etc... Now I've changed jobs and there's nothing edible on my route to work, I can eat my lovely porridge, banana and oat milk. Mmm. 

Just need to sort out lunches, and not blow money eating like a hog. Chicken wrap and Jamaican patty perhaps not the best start!
  • Options

I'm going to try and have a little run at no meat and no bread and see how it goes.

Just had a jacket potato & 5 bean chilli (named i believe as it only included 5 beans). My boy left a sauage and rasher of bacon on his plate and for the first time in my life i resisted hoovering it up.

I found that my kids actually finishing their food these days has been a relief to my waistline
  • Options
    Point of order for dry January... Do low alcohol (<0.5%) count as alcoholic drinks?
  • Options
    Four days into Veganuary. After this month is done I don't think I'm going to be able to look at an avocado again
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McBobbin said:
    Point of order for dry January... Do low alcohol (<0.5%) count as alcoholic drinks?
    I read that they don't. It was in an article about drinking sufficient water, and it said that such beers can count towards correct hydration levels. The Dry January website seems to support that view too, although they are leaving it up to individuals rather than issuing a judgement.

Bit wary myself. I have always felt that it's important for me not to go to a pub at all this month, especially out here where the beers look so beautiful. I remember being on an ad shoot in Germany during a dry Jan and we were in bars there and I kept saying wistfully "look at those foaming pints". The creative guys thought it was hilarious. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Four days into Veganuary. After this month is done I don't think I'm going to be able to look at an avocado again
    Been vegan for 2 years now and hardly eat them.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Would a Muslim drink it?!
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I had such a bad hangover yesterday that the only way I could cope was to have a couple of beers...so that didn't get off to a good start.
    Finally made it to two days without alcohol for the first time in about 3 months or more...obsessively going on the scales twice a day "oh no!  I'm 3 pounds heavier, what the fuck is going on?"
  • Options
    I was going to get this but it's £500
  • Options
    I had such a bad hangover yesterday that the only way I could cope was to have a couple of beers...so that didn't get off to a good start.
    Finally made it to two days without alcohol for the first time in about 3 months or more...obsessively going on the scales twice a day "oh no!  I'm 3 pounds heavier, what the fuck is going on?"
    Well done on the alcohol.

never weigh more frequently than once a week, in a similar time scenario. It can become obsessive and you body can fluctuate a fair bit. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Well done on the alcohol.

never weigh more frequently than once a week, in a similar time scenario. It can become obsessive and you body can fluctuate a fair bit. 
    You're right, but I am obsessive....:) I know this but I still go to the scales and expect immediate results...Last time I stopped for five weeks and lost a stone without really trying any other healthy stuff at all.
  • Options
    I was going to get this but it's £500
    Actually free.  Just ordered it thanks AK
  • Options
    Vegan Jan - that rules out kebabs... no thanks.