Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Preston | Sun 03 Nov | 12noon KO | Post-Match Thread

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    I'm actually with Leuth on this one. Maybe not quite so vehemently but I agree with the main points and principles.

I am a horses for courses fan. Some games will suit Pearce and others Sarr. Millwall is a Pearce game.

Not sure I buy the "Sarr looks worse when he plays with Pearce" idea. I think in a 3 everyone looks better when Pratley plays as the middle man as he is better at bringing the ball out. In a 2 it should be one or the other. I wouldn't read into it anymore than that.
  • Options
    I like Naby a lot  but not nearly as much as Leuth does. 
  • Options
    That's cos you're married.
  • Options
    I don’t like my wife as much as Leuth likes Naby. 
    I like your wife but not nearly as much as Leuth.
  • Options
    I don’t like my wife as much as Leuth likes Naby. 
    I like your wife but not nearly as much as Leuth.
    Wow you really like @Leuth
  • Options
    Think Bowyer got it wrong Sunday. Left Bonne isolated. Kayal, Cullen and Pratley shouldn’t play together, especially not with 5 at the back. 

Bowyer rightly changed this up at half time but Leko was ineffective. Thought Aneke has a decent 10 mins, better then recently anyway. 

Can’t complain with the odd poor performance, they have all earned that. There’s a game coming up where we would be less forgiving. 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Think Bowyer got it wrong Sunday. Left Bonne isolated. Kayal, Cullen and Pratley shouldn’t play together, especially not with 5 at the back. 

Bowyer rightly changed this up at half time but Leko was ineffective. Thought Aneke has a decent 10 mins, better then recently anyway. 

Can’t complain with the odd poor performance, they have all earned that. There’s a game coming up where we would be less forgiving. 
    Saturday should be treated no differently to the Doncaster FA Cup game last season

Fail to get a result and I'll only truly care if its a season defining moment come May - Got another 29-games to play apart from Millwall - Gotta look at the bigger picture... Although I wont be surprised if both teams are scrapping come the end of the season still so in that respect its a big game in terms of ensuring survival rather than ending this poor run against them
  • Options

Saturday should be treated no differently to the Doncaster FA Cup game last season

Fail to get a result and I'll only truly care if its a season defining moment come May - Got another 29-games to play apart from Millwall - Gotta look at the bigger picture... Although I wont be surprised if both teams are scrapping come the end of the season still so in that respect its a big game in terms of ensuring survival rather than ending this poor run against them
    Personally I think that’s rubbish. I get where you’re coming from when it looks like your staying up and not getting promoted it’s the games you want to win. 

I would happily lose both games if it meant we went up and/or the scum go down. But if not I want to win these, it’s long overdue.
  • Options
    report from Monday's Times

sky bet championship

Preston North End victory shows why Stoke is not for Alex Neil

Charlton 0 Preston North End 1

Nick Szczepanik

November 4 2019, 12:01am, The Times

Neil led Preston to the top of the Sky Bet Championship yesterday
    Neil led Preston to the top of the Sky Bet Championship yesterdayREX FEATURES
    Save

If they think about it, Stoke City will probably admit that their timing could have been better. On Saturday they were refused permission to speak to the Preston North End manager Alex Neil about the managerial vacancy at the bet365 Stadium. Yesterday Neil led Preston to the top of the Sky Bet Championship with victory over Charlton Athletic at The Valley, throwing into sharp relief what an unattractive prospect Stoke represent in contrast to Preston.

Neil insisted that he was happy with his club’s decision. “I can tell you that I love working with this group of players,” he said. “They are a special bunch and we want to try to keep doing what we are doing. I can’t control rumours and speculation but I can put a statement out to put it to bed. There is nothing to talk about. I am Preston North End manager. I love being here, I love working with my team and we crack on. Listen, I’ve been a manager for seven, eight years and when you’re hot you’re hot, when you’re not you’re not. In a couple of weeks people will be saying how hopeless I am.”

This was not a pretty match to watch, but Neil’s team have plenty of the qualities that successful sides have. Everyone knows his job and if a bit of gamesmanship is required, they do it unapologetically.

Significantly, the only goal was scored from the penalty spot by Paul Gallagher after Jason Pearce barged into Jayden Stockley. Gallagher converted it in his unusual style, turning his back on the ball, walking away from it then turning to drive it under the dive of Dillon Phillips. But more significant was the fact that Gallagher, an early substitute for the injured top scorer Daniel Johnson, had been substituted himself last week after only 29 minutes of the 3-2 victory over Blackburn Rovers.

“The one thing me and my players have got is complete trust in each other,” Neil said. “The fact that I took him off only means that I got the team selection wrong. Today he comes on and gets the winner for us. That’s why we are a team, not a group of individuals. I thought we were good value for the win, I thought we were the better side, created the better chances. That was a tough game and we did well to win it.”

Charlton were unable to work Declan Rudd, the Preston goalkeeper hard enough but Lee Bowyer, the Charlton manager, had few complaints about the penalty. “That’s managing the game, isn’t it?” he said. “Yes, it can be frustrating but maybe we’ve got to learn to start doing that ourselves. It was a penalty. One of our most experienced players has made the wrong decision. A draw would probably have been a fair result but we will learn.

“On clear-cut chances I would have said it was quite even. But we were sloppy in possession, probably the worst we’ve been. We normally pass and we move. Today we gave the ball away a lot. A frustrating day.”

Key moment
    Preston were awarded a penalty after Jayden Stockley was pulled down by Jason Pearce when the striker tried to get on the end of Joe Rafferty’s cross. Paul Gallagher blasted the ball past Dillon Phillips for the game’s only goal.

Sky Bet Championship round-up
    Performance of the week Huddersfield Town. Their progress under Danny Cowley continued away to Brentford as a 1-0 win lifted them four points above the relegation zone.

Player of the week
    Joe Ralls (Cardiff City). A hat-trick, completed with his second penalty in the 95th minute, secured a 4-2 win over Birmingham City in a match in which both teams were reduced to ten men.

Goal of the week
    Tosin Adarabioyo (Blackburn Rovers). The on-loan Manchester City defender looped a perfect header into the Sheffield Wednesday net for his team’s 88th-minute equaliser in a 2-1 home win.

Villain of the week George Saville (Middlesbrough). A straight red card for a dreadful challenge on Krystian Bielik in a 2-0 defeat by Derby County.

Quote of the week
    “They always looked out for me and the other young players. They were fantastic idols for me and I always looked up to them.” Leeds United’s Jack Harrison, on loan from Manchester City

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2019
    In a way, at this time without Williams and Taylor, we are more of a threat away. I think Bowyer didn't feel he could go all out for the win and hoped we might nick it. And we would have got a draw too if Pearce hadn't made a bad mistake. Yes Pearce, who I am not slagging off, it happens, but imagine if Naby had done that.

By the way, Pearce has said it is the way he defends, and to back this up, I have noticed him do this on a few occasions, quite a lot in the Fulham game for example and it is always a risk. But we focus on Sarr risks. Why Pearce does not give many penalties away is refs appreciate it is six of one, half a dozen of the other. Even on Sunday, Stockley clearly pushed Pearce first. Not saying that was a foul, but had the ref seen that, he might have been more flexible about Pearce. Like I said, six of one, half a dozen of the other.
  • Options
    Sarr will always look for a pass and will look better when passes are on. The game on Sunday didn't suit Sarr in my opinion because the pass options were tighter and that was as much down to other players as him. He will make mistakes, even with easy passes but I think the errors were forced by the way Preston set up and in part, our inability to overcome that. He remains one of our better attacking options in the right game.
    Agree with this.

Sarr also got played into a couple of very tight situations by his team mates. He's in the side to start the moves off, so will always be under pressure not to just boot it clear. It's ok by me and I've enjoyed watching him play because it makes the whole team try to play through the lines. 
  • Options
    I know a lot of people said they were boring and negative against us but it shows they are able to set up for a game and defend. I watched the highlights of their game yesterday against Huddersfield and they do seem to play quite attacking football at home. That is the 5th time they have scored 3 at home this season already. They have always been a decent team around the play offs but have not quite been able to sustain it for a season, this year though I would not be surprised to see them finish top 2 this season.