Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Preston | Sun 03 Nov | 12noon KO | Post-Match Thread

Comments

• Just before they scored, Oshilaja was doing a big warm-up. I wonder if the plan was to give Solly a merciful rest
  • Amazing how bad it was compared to last week! Unless Preston are that good? 
    We didn't get a sniff. Struggled. 
  • 7 mins of injury time... did we make one chance? Or string a pass?! 
    I blame it on the early start 😂
  • Our midfield was dire today - lots of misplaced passes and left the defence under constant pressure. The defence may have made mistakes but the midfield did them no favours. 
  • 2121 said:
    7 mins of injury time... did we make one chance? Or string a pass?! 
    I blame it on the early start 😂
    Purrington into the side netting from the corner. Cleaner contact or he gets it on his left foot it's 1-1.
  • Thanks to the whims of Sky circumstances mean that I know nothing about this match other than that we lost to a penalty.

What sort of reception did Bauer get?
  • LenGlover said:
    Thanks to the whims of Sky circumstances mean that I know nothing about this match other than that we lost to a penalty.

Really good
  • LenGlover said:
    Thanks to the whims of Sky circumstances mean that I know nothing about this match other than that we lost to a penalty.

Bauer got a really good round of applause when his name was read out at the start of the game - Dont know if he did it deliberately but at the start of the second half he walked with Rudd to the goal in front of the North Stand and got another excellent piece of applause

End of the game he was the last player off the pitch (apart from those being interviewed by SKY) - He turned and clapped each of the East / West / North stands whilst walking off the pitch
  • Sponsored links:

• LenGlover said:

Bauer got a really good round of applause when his name was read out at the start of the game - Dont know if he did it deliberately but at the start of the second half he walked with Rudd to the goal in front of the North Stand and got another excellent piece of applause

End of the game he was the last player off the pitch (apart from those being interviewed by SKY) - He turned and clapped each of the East / West / North stands whilst walking off the pitch
    He did a big fart right in front of the North Stand. 
  • We were atrocious as was the entire match. Preston did a job on us and started running down the clock once they had their goal. Was painful to watch.

Their striker dominated our defence in the air and helped them build from knock ons whilst we had no creativity or hold up play and were stagnant for long long periods.

Kayal had a few bright moments and Gallagher and Pratley were individually good but as a team that was the worst I've seen us for a long while. Thought our subs came too late and too piecemeal to offer any chance of momentum. 
  • The first half formation didn't work at home, as Bonne had too little support. Gallagher of course was around him, Pratley did his best to join in and Purrington was quite advanced at times, but Kayal isn't that sort of player. In one break he played a really good pass forward, then moved backwards rather than up the pitch to support the attack.

Having said that, if anything things got worse in the second half and as Bowyer brought on attacking players, we then found ourselves not able to keep or get back possession

• Worst we've played all season by quite a margin, well certainly from the games I've seen. Very disappointing but it was Kids For a Quid day and we always seem to put thise kids off returning with a poor performance!

But with our injury-hit low-budget squad it's asking a lot, even with a motivator like Lee Bowyer, to perform to the level we have been every week. Let's hope it was a blip.
  • Very rarely can we say it but this time LB got that all wrong.

We should have resorted to our normal game and played them off the park. Our two best players (Cullen and Gallagher) were over run because we had a seven man defence from the off. 

Having said that, PNE would never have scored without the gift of a penalty and were the only poor footballing team I have seen in the division this season. If they finish top half then there is no footballing God.

Lobbing high balls down the channels and long punts for the big man up front, It was like the middle ages had returned to the Valley and we let them do it by backing off and sitting deep.  

No panic but we should never have lost to that lot.

• Eddie Jones and Lee Bowyer didn't go from great Coaches to Crap coaches in a week.

Players aren't robots. Why did England go from their greatest every performance in a World cup to an error shrewn Inept showing in the final ?  Losing your young tiger Sinckler knocked out in the second minute didn't help and to TBF the Springboks were ruthless in their execution of their game plan. But the fact that nearly every England player made a mistake of some kind meant they couldn't carry out Eddie Jones game plan.

12 noon KO, the Cafc crowd are 99% sober, Lee Bowyer goes with the lone striker, playing Kayla instead of Leko. Despite the defensive looking line up Purrington played his wing back role well and had a decent shot ( should've gone for the far post though) and put a great cross for Gallagher who headed wide. Other than Sarr who goes from the sublime to the Ridiculous in the 1st half we played OK despite missing the X factor players Taylor and Williams.
    We played 3-5-1-1 in the First half and unless you have a Fosu type player on top form playing behind the main striker its not ideal at home unless you play Derby County.

Bowyer took Sarr off which even though  appeared to be the popular choice because he was so flaky, affected the formation and Purrington stopped being an attacking threat 2nd half. Young Gallagher never stopped trying but his passing was off at times and we became disjointed and Preston were now in cruise control. 
    Despite our inept 2nd half performance we could have mugged a draw if Purrington had a right foot in the dying embers of the game.

Seven days can be a long time in Politics, Rugby and Football, so let's hope that we turn up as a team to face our Nemesis next week. Strap yourselves in for the roller coaster ride.

• edited November 2019
    They did a job on us yesterday. We couldn't build from the back as we normally do as they were shutting off the passing options through their press. I thought their approach was to suffocate us rather than outplay us, but it worked. We needed that Gallagher header to go in and it would have opened them up. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Jason Pearce “It was a professional performance by them. If we are in that position we’d try and do the same.“

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/jason-pearce-im-disappointed-as-i-lost-charlton-the-game-against-preston/
  • Been to 4 games this season, we won the first and have lost the other 3.  Luckily for Charlton I do not have a ticket for the Millwall match and cannot make the next two home ones.  Should see our form pick up.
  • Utterly ****ed off. First weekend of our holiday and two s**t days of sport. Dreadful performance. 
  • "My arms are probably around him, it’s just how I defend."

And Sarr's the liability? Not giving this up ffs, I've seen Pearce getting 7 in player ratings
  • edited November 2019
    Every mistake Sarr makes appears worse because he looks clumsy. Pearce makes as many errors that lead to goals if not more. Yesterday was a case in point. He was pushed by Stockley, which he wasn't ready for and what led to him putting his arms around him as he was out of position. These things happen.

It was a game where we missed Williams' runs and Taylor's devilment.  
  • I'm not overly concerned by the "fewest number of shots in Christendom" stat - I'd rather we held onto the ball a bit longer to fashion a proper opening than just blazing away from 25 yards and turning the ball back to the oppo.

We're not playing basketball where there's a shot clock, we can take our time to create a decent chance.

We've scored 21 goals so far this season which puts in 9th place in the division - Preston are top with 28, Boro bottom with 7 - which indicates that we're not doing too bad in this respect especially when you couple that with an equal-7th defence (17 conceded - Leeds with 8 and Barnsley 29 top and tail that stat).
  • Have always said that Pearce fouls too much & often gives away a foul by climbing or holding the opposition player. Like to see Lockyer & Oshilaja in defence (if Oshilaja is not being used as a right wing back)

• I'm not overly concerned by the "fewest number of shots in Christendom" stat - I'd rather we held onto the ball a bit longer to fashion a proper opening than just blazing away from 25 yards and turning the ball back to the oppo.

We're not playing basketball where there's a shot clock, we can take our time to create a decent chance.

We've scored 21 goals so far this season which puts in 9th place in the division - Preston are top with 28, Boro bottom with 7 - which indicates that we're not doing too bad in this respect especially when you couple that with an equal-7th defence (17 conceded - Leeds with 8 and Barnsley 29 top and tail that stat).
    I'm amazed at that stat after yesterday's game. Preston certainly didn't play like a team likely to score a lot of goals

I'm amazed at that stat after yesterday's game. Preston certainly didn't play like a team likely to score a lot of goals
    Just had a quick look at Preston's earlier results: they scored five against Barnsley; three against Blackburn, Bristol City, Stoke, Wigan.