Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Preston | Sun 03 Nov | 12noon KO | Post-Match Thread

Comments

• edited November 2019
    That was dreadful.  

Cant get Taylor and Williams back quickly enough.  Sarr was an absolute liability for the 45 mins he was on the pitch; Pearce gave away a silly penalty; Purrington and Solly needed to bomb up the line in a 5 in the first half but never did.  Kayal is a waste of time, some pretty stuff but he is a luxury player in a team that can’t afford one-the way he shirked the challenge which lead to their first chance and Dills first save i was embarrassed for him.

oh and as for Preston, the way they wasted time from 65 mins and the way they played I hope they don’t go up-dull football.  Ref should have booked them more quickly for time wasting though.  May have added 7mins but effectively the last 35+injury were a waste of time as they simply stopped the game and any momentum by diving each time there was a challenge and the ref allowed it.  

Can’t play well in all of them and despite being poor you could tell they were all trying which is all I ask.  

Went to the museum afterwards which was super and then the lad got autographs and pictures with Bowyer and Gallagher after that; so whilst it was his first loss on his 8th game he came away very happy.

• Having read through the players marks, Solly gets a good bashing.

I thought there was little or no cover from Right Midfield today (Kayal), PNE were focussed on both our full backs, Solly was left on his own a hell of a lot!
  • Touch of the England rugby team with that performance - just didn't turn up on the day. Really poor display and a poor game not helped by an idiot (being polite) of a ref. 
  • Poor game, poor performance, haven't seen a replay of the penalty offence but I suspect it was another piece of poor referring.  If it was a good penalty decision, I apologise to ref, you were only useless instead of fecking useless.
  • Talal said:
    Comments on Aneke a little harsh imo. Not sure how much he could do with the service given.
    Totally agree. 
  • Leuth said:
    vff said:
    Lee Bowyer - Charlton sloppy and not at it. Disappointed with Pearce for penalty and missed chances. Injuries difficult, we have a squad, keep doing the right things in training. Preston surprised by being direct. Lee Bowyer not disappointed just very disappointed. Players coming off the bench and not making an impact. Some Players not doing the right things and there is no space in the team for players to be carried. Looking for a reaction against Millwall. Charlton will be ready.
    Sounds like someone regrets bringing off the Nabster ;)
    I know you have a man crush on him, but he looked all over the show today. 
  • edited November 2019
    Leuth said:
    "Pearce: 6 - stupid foul for the penalty
    Sarr: 4 - I feel he’s still too error prone"

If anyone asks me to summarise what bias is, I will point them to these few words
    Lol, yep. Theres bias right there. You just dont seem to accept it when other people are critical of what was a very shaky performance. Maybe Bowyer is biased too for taking him off?

• I just don't like it when people fling words like 'liability' at Sarr for trying to make play (when his actual defending was as sound as ever) and mark Captain Warrior much higher, even though his defensive failures handed Preston their two best chances 
  • I blame Bowyer's change of jumper !

Move on. Get the normal jumper cleaned for Saturday Lee !

• Sponsored links:

I thought there was little or no cover from Right Midfield today (Kayal), PNE were focussed on both our full backs, Solly was left on his own a hell of a lot!
    He has no pace anymore which means he can't play wing-back. Isn't able to track back when we lose the ball. 

He's good 1v1 defensively but cannot stop the cross to save his life. 
  • Dog shit match settled by some cart horse defending from Pearce. 

As has been said before this season, when we’re on it we’re a match for anyone in this division, but let our levels drop just a touch and we can look a bit poor. Pretty much the dictionary definition of a mid-table side which is what we are (no shame in it either given where we’ve come from).

Preston were nothing more than an organized hard working team, much like us, but they were closer to their levels than us and probably deserved to win.

Much like the Wigan and Birmingham defeats, too many wayward passes and very little penetration and Bowyer wasn’t able to affect it from the bench. Some pretty anonymous performances from usually reliable players too. 

Ho hum, we have to expect matches like that this season. I’m sure we’ll get back on track at Millwall next week pfnar pfnar...
  • PWR

That was a crock of sh1t. 

We played woefully. Preston, I thought we’re the better side - just. They outplayed and outmanoeuvred us, and when they couldn’t they just rolled around on the floor with an “injury”. 

It’s clear something wasn’t right with the lads today - no idea what that might be - but nobody gelled and they weren’t supporting one another. 

Ref and linesmen didn’t help. Ref looked like he was acting all official because he was on Sky and the opposition then played to his trigger points. Absolute bellend. 

There we have it. Vented my feelings now. Time to move on - next one is a biggie and we need the right attitude for it. 

• Do not start Sarr against Millwall. I can just see that being the sort of game where he will go full-gear calamity.
  • Preston were the better side but there wasn't much in it but we never really looked like scoring. Think we're really beginning to miss Williams and Taylor 
  • Only watched on TV, but generally a more positive feeling than most - at the end of the day, Preston are top and the game was hugely even, a couple of chances to both sides and they got a bit lucky on the penalty.
    Stats of one shot on target do not really do justice, considering we had two chances at the end that went into the side netting when they could have as easily gone in, and Macauley would generally bury his chance, but it just did not happen today.
    If anything, today just shows how much we miss Taylor because he gives us an ability to go a bit longer and stretch the field. As it is, it is too easy for teams to push up on our midfield and we are always having to play through.
  • edited November 2019
    Leuth said:
    I just don't like it when people fling words like 'liability' at Sarr for trying to make play (when his actual defending was as sound as ever) and mark Captain Warrior much higher, even though his defensive failures handed Preston their two best chances 
    I see where you’re coming from, but today Sarr was trying to make play in silly areas and it was going no where. Lost his head completely after his booking. He was a liability today and someone needed to be sacrificed to try and change things up top because Bonne and Kayal weren’t exactly gelling and making much happen. Stupid foul by Pearce as well but overall he had a more solid game than Sarr - we gave up relatively few sights on goal. 
  • PNE did a job on us. Good side and can see why they are top.

Sure they know every trick in the book but they are lot more than spoilers.

We never got going and couldn't find any fluidity, partly due to Preston denying space in the centre (they were happy to let our full backs get forward wide) but mostly because we didn't click. Teams like Fulham want to outplay you and we can counter that.  We look uneasy with teams that try to stop us playing like Birmingham and today.

A game made for Taylor and Williams alas.

Sarr was Sarr. Some will try to shift the blame to Pearce or Pratley but Sarr does this too often. He looks good when he has time, press him and he flaps as sides have worked out.

Philips man of the match by default but he did well when called on.

This might deflate some of the wild expectations ahead of next Saturday. I got a ticket today as well : - (
    Pearce concedes a penalty... Sarr is blamed for the loss despite not being on the pitch for the entire half in which we conceded.
  • BFG94 said:
    Touch of the England rugby team with that performance - just didn't turn up on the day. Really poor display and a poor game not helped by an idiot (being polite) of a ref. 

This was the football equiv of England v South Africa, one team never turned up, and the other just wanted to play dirty and time-waste.
  • Leuth said:
    I just don't like it when people fling words like 'liability' at Sarr for trying to make play (when his actual defending was as sound as ever) and mark Captain Warrior much higher, even though his defensive failures handed Preston their two best chances 
    “As sound as ever”, you are kidding right?  Unless you mean he is usually shit?  His defending was as bad as his distribution today and he was absolutely done twice in the first half, he was just lucky their attackers were poor and did not capitalise.
  • Sponsored links:

He has no pace anymore which means he can't play wing-back. Isn't able to track back when we lose the ball. 

He's good 1v1 defensively but cannot stop the cross to save his life. 
    Don’t think he’s ever been accused of being the quickest full back around, my point is, it’s asking a lot of any player to get up and down a wing when your MF player in front of you ain’t there to cover you.
  • Leuth said:
    “As sound as ever”, you are kidding right?  Unless you mean he is usually shit?  His defending was as bad as his distribution today and he was absolutely done twice in the first half, he was just lucky their attackers were poor and did not capitalise.
    When was he absolutely done? There was one where their striker fluked the best touch of his life first-time from a long ball (and as I said, Sarr still got back to put him off a shot)
  • @Leuth they choose not to see what he does well. 

He simply cannot play alongside Pearce and I believe he would not have given away that same penalty.

• Off_it said:
    Leuth said:
    "Pearce: 6 - stupid foul for the penalty
    Sarr: 4 - I feel he’s still too error prone"

If anyone asks me to summarise what bias is, I will point them to these few words
    Lol, yep. Theres bias right there. You just dont seem to accept it when other people are critical of what was a very shaky performance. Maybe Bowyer is biased too for taking him off?

That was tactical. 
    For me Bowyer made a rare mistake today, and set us up all wrong. 
    The PNE high press forced us to resort to the long ball, but Bonne is a sniffer, not a target man, and we never looked like winning any second ball. I guess in Bowyer’s defense he wasn’t expecting Preston to be so long ball/high press, but I’d have hoped he have switched things around sooner. Naby wasn’t having one of his better games, but not as bad as some are saying. However, if five at the back means playing with one up top and two wing backs (who aren’t wing backs) you’re always going to struggle against a team like Preston. 
    It was the correct call to take off a defender for an extra man up top, but I think Aneke would have offered greater strength in the air, and better hold up play than Leko.

Apart from that, you’d imagine that Sky won’t be desperate to feature Preston again any time soon. What an awful match that was, and the second half was an insult to spectators in the ground and TV viewers alike, notwithstanding the fact that they ‘did a number on us’. 
  • Why can he not play alongside Pearce though? He should be able to. Pearce doesn’t cause him to make sloppy passes.
  • Not directly, but someone has to try and get it going in midfield, and Pearce certainly wasn't doing that (to be fair, he wasn't tasked with this)
  • To be fair to Sarr and the rest of the defence, the midfield didn’t make life easy for them. Cullen in particular should’ve offered a better outlet.
  • Most of what happened today has been covered already . One thing that did occur to me however was that late in the second half I couldn’t understand why Dillon didn’t take a kick whilst their no 29 was standing within a metre of the kick near the west stand side of the six yard box preventing it from being taken . Firstly , it would have been a definite yellow card for their player . Second , the kick if taken might have knocked him flat for a while and might also have allowed us an advantage. Not sure how many subs they had used by then either so an injury to the player might have disrupted them  in a meaningful way . They had enough players going down all over the place feigning injury and time wasting so this would have been the only genuine one had it happened except when their defender had to have his head bandaged .
  • Preston camped in our half for most of the first 45 minutes. They sort of ground out the win by wearing us down and once they had the lead they used game management to keep it. I thought Naby would be up for it today after his call-up but he had a poor game by his high standards. Pearce is always likely to give a penalty away when he wraps his arms around the player he is marking, so no complaints from me. Sets us up badly for the scum game next week. Hopefully we will play a lot better than today.