Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Preston | Sun 03 Nov | 12noon KO | Post-Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Proper pony that. However, we dont put many performances in like that so were due one. Hopefully we get a response next week.
  • Options
    Thanks to @Powell is Pleasant, watched an excellent hdstreams from a windy and rainy northern France.
    We had an off day, nothing dramatic and the ref was not as bad as many we have had.
    Not impressed by PNE to the extent I think we have a better chance than them to finish top six.
    A lot depends on what we can do at the toolbox.
  • Options
    Poor game. neither side deserved much out of it, Preston must be over the moon to have beaten Charlton and gone top, but if they play like that every week they'll sooner or later encounter a ref who isn't crap and get a spanking. 
    Only Dillon and Pratley looked on their game today. Sarr had a nightmare, Cullen and Gallagher below par, as was pretty much everyone else. Thought Aneke brought some needed aggression when he came on but we were out muscled and out game-managed in midfield. 
    Not sure why Rudd was getting so much grief - he was alright for us and his kicking was a lot better than Dillon's today. 
    Despite the result and below par performance, we still managed to only lose 1-0 to the team now top. Let's not get carried away.
    None of ours on 4 bookings picked one up (good move bringing off the frustrated Pratley). 
    Ref wants demoting to non-league on that performance. I don't think he got many big decisions wrong but that was totally stop-start and crap as a spectacle. Believe it or not ref, it's meant to be entertaining!
  • Options
    They beat us because they got a penalty and they scored from it. That’s the only stat that matters. It was a frustrating performance from us but if you put it into context with the first sentence then a shit Charlton performance with a squad missing so many key players and they could only beat us because the penalty doesn’t seem so bad. They beat us hands down on the yellow cards collected but that may come back and hurt them as the season wears on. The next game is all that counts and what a next game it is...
  • Options
    Seems like every time we have a chance to go top 6, we drop points.

Still onwards and upwards, probably didn't expect us to be pushing for the play offs anyway.

3 points next weekend and all will be forgotten.
  • Options
    Yeah not the best performance; Preston did their research properly and did a number on us!!

Didnt give us any time of the ball, pressed and harried whenever we had it which stopped us from achieving anything and made us resort to long balls

Lockyer / Pearce probably had their worst game at Centre-Back, both were hassled by Jayden Stockley from the off, despite his dirty tactics

Only just seen the penalty as had players in the way but my only question is the referee allowed players to lean on each other when challenging for the ball all first half and didnt give a single free kick to either team - Yet the penalty was the one time a player got penalised for it, for me it allowed too much interpretation from the players and by the looks of the challenge, it was a soft decision. Although West Brom fans will probably be happy after the soft penalty we got last week
  • Options
    Rather we lost today and win next weekend
  • Options
    Worst football I've seen us play under Bowyer, it reminded me of the Pardew/Parky era, we just didn't show up.

I thought the atmosphere was dreadful too, what's happened to the drummer?
  • Options
    Palarse losing 
    Just saying. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Watched replay of pen a few times and now not convinced??! he was looking for it where at the time I thought it was to be honest
    But their time wasting and fake injuries and yellow cards summed up today
  • Options
    Crap game.
    Crap ref.
    Anti football by Preston
    We move on.
  • Options
    Disappointing for us as we've played so well this season and that's what we've got used to. But today was different. We just seemed off right from the start and Preston imposed themselves on our game. They were a good team but it's as if we made them look better than they were. We never really had any cutting edge all game and at the end they were playing with us really.

Nobody really played well for us and I thought the midfield were pretty non-existent today, especially from a creative point of view. I wasn't impressed with Kayal. Maybe not the best game to judge him on though as everyone just seemed off. Today it really made me realise how we do miss Jonny Williams and Lyle Taylor.

This is a tough league. Millwall and then Cardiff next. 
  • Options
    Worst football I've seen us play under Bowyer, it reminded me of the Pardew/Parky era, we just didn't show up.

I thought the atmosphere was dreadful too, what's happened to the drummer?
    Said it before but prior to playing us; teams should watch our performances against Birmingham | Wigan | Preston

We just dont seem to be able to face up against those with a similar mentality to us

Not the only one to think the atmosphere was bad - Really was flat today, just never really got going
  • Options
    5 defeats in 9 now and eight points from those games - on a bit of a poor run. Midfield went missing today and we had very little creativity. Preston frustrating to watch. 

Phillips MOTM. Dreadful game to watch.
  • Options
    Seems like every time we have a chance to go top 6, we drop points.

Still onwards and upwards, probably didn't expect us to be pushing for the play offs anyway.

3 points next weekend and all will be forgotten.
    Did that last season with the top two...

Had about four or five chances to go into the automatics but never took them
  • Options
    Beaten by a much better team. Big lump at the front terrorised us and Solly struggled throughout. Naby was in panic mode from the off, and Leko think 4-4-2 means you stand up front waiting for the ball. We will beat Millwall and then go on a good run.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watched replay of pen a few times and now not convinced??! he was looking for it where at the time I thought it was to be honest
    Both his arms were around his shoulders!! It was an absolute stonewaller.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz1_a4u2llk

Watch the replays of the cross that brings about Phillips' early save. Sarr is going to deal with it comfortably, then Pearce dives in, gets a nick on it and they should score. If you dive in you absolutely have to clear it. Weird how Sarr's errors (trying to make space, losing the ball, giving away a yellow card) are seen as so much worse than errors which bring about clear chances and penalties. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    1StevieG said:
    Tough team PNE. Missed players like Williams who can create something out of nothing. Naby Sarr had a shocker first half and we were better second half when we went 4 at the back. Am never down after losing a game with this team though as you know what they are capable of.
    We were better for about 5 minutes and then we were abysmal for 40
    We certainly weren’t abysmal. We were the masters of own downfall at times and struggled to get any momentum going against a well set up Preston side with a bit of quality where it counted. Outfought yes. Abysmal no.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Watch the replays of the cross that brings about Phillips' early save. Sarr is going to deal with it comfortably, then Pearce dives in, gets a nick on it and they should score. If you dive in you absolutely have to clear it. Weird how Sarr's errors (trying to make space, losing the ball, giving away a yellow card) are seen as so much worse than errors which bring about clear chances and penalties. 
    Are you absolutely certain that Sarr calls for it then?

Pearce cant leave the ball if he doesnt know whats going on behind him, especially as he'll know that Stockley has been left unmarked so could be anywhere
  • Options
    Despite the poor performance today , I'll still say being in 10th position in the table and only 6 points off top spot , after 15 games , is still a great start and a lot better than most expected , before the season started.
    Fair point. Expected us to be bottom 3 most of the season...
  • Options
    Congratulations to Beram Kayal for finding the Darren Ambrose hiding hole.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Are you absolutely certain that Sarr calls for it then?

Pearce cant leave the ball if he doesnt know whats going on behind him, especially as he'll know that Stockley has been left unmarked so could be anywhere
    There's no time to call for it but it's not about calling, it's about making the clearance if you go for it
  • Options
    all been said .. they came for a scrappy point or three and that's what they got .. 5 yellow cards for them v 3 tell the story of a scrappy sometimes petulant game .. 

couple of points .. even with Sarr, defensively, we are still very vulnerable in the air .. we can'tor don't attack down the wings .. our main thrust is through midfield and teams like PNE will put in niggly fouls and tackles all day long to halt progress ..

just one point from 3 games .. BUT against a good BC outfit and against WBA and PNE who have switched positions at the table top .. not good on paper, equally not bad in fact .. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Both his arms were around his shoulders!! It was an absolute stonewaller.
    What about the similar decisions all throughout the first half that werent given?

Referee made a rod for his own back, by letting every cuddling session go he made it acceptable for the players to do it

And then suddenly, for just one decision it wasnt acceptable!!

We all want consistency within the game but it wasnt there again today
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    was this realy the game I just watched??!must have missed our 8 shots and 4 big chances and our 217 accurate passes?