Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Preston | Sun 03 Nov | 12noon KO | Post-Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Phillips: kept us in it, distribution patchy
    Lockyer:  his worst game for a while, passing ropey
    Pearce: struggled with the weight of dross either side of him, less happy in a 4 than a 5
    Sarr: terrifying echoes of the rotten young Sarr we first encountered, rightly substituted
    Solly: decent first half, change of shape didn't suit him
    Cullen: excellent first half, really settled into the more less defensive role
    Pratley: excellent first half, 2nd half spoilt by the change of shape
    Purrington: as Pratley
    Gallagher: industrious first half, knackered by half time, poor kid needs a rest, swamped 2nd half
    Kayal: a luxury this side can't afford and a luxury from which all the gloss has worn away, hid for large portions, few nice passes which he then stood to admire, after 20 minutes or so Cullen and Gallagher stopped passing to him cos they knew he wasn't worth it.  Waster. 
    Bonne: Lively and hard working with zero service
    Leko: showpony didn't bother to turn up, had opportunity to prove plenty and bailed, waster.
    Referee: yet another ludicrous narcissist corrupting the game to make himself part of the story, if we ever see him again it'll be too soon. bell end.

Aneke: his energy and bulk should have been utilised much earlier
    Oztumer: his energy and finesse should have been utilised much earlier

Bowyer:  rare mis-step from him yesterday, 4 at the back 2nd half obviously was a major step down from the efficacy achieved first half.  We had the personnel to switch 2nd half (Pratley into back line).  Also then left it far too long to replace the charlatan Kayal and the patently exhausted Gallagher.  Bizarrely declined Phillips's request to go up for the corner right at the end too, what the actual is that about?

Overall too many players just that bit too far below par, added to no luck or run of the ball, managerial indecision, then topped off by the preening moron disguised as a referee who cheerfully facilitated all PNE's cynical spoiling, timewasting tactics and did eff all about it, til a flurry of cards late on to make it look like he was some sort of disciplinarian, cock.
    A third of the season done, 10th place, seemed like a pipe dream 3 months ago, avoidance of defeat at the toolbox will be sufficient to keep things on an even keel, for now. 
  • Options
    Such a frustrating game. We had very few chances, but Bonne had a great chance in the second half which he miscued.
    A free kick had already been awarded to Preston. Not sure if was for offside or a foul. Poor finishing either way but wouldn't have counted.
  • Options
    Such a frustrating game. We had very few chances, but Bonne had a great chance in the second half which he miscued.
    A free kick had already been awarded to Preston. Not sure if was for offside or a foul. Poor finishing either way but wouldn't have counted.
    Handball.

I think he had an initial hack at the ball, more of an "air shot", which bounced up and hit his arm, then he misdirected his second attempt (which didn't count).
  • Options
    edited November 2019
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I'm not overly concerned by the "fewest number of shots in Christendom" stat - I'd rather we held onto the ball a bit longer to fashion a proper opening than just blazing away from 25 yards and turning the ball back to the oppo.

We're not playing basketball where there's a shot clock, we can take our time to create a decent chance.

We've scored 21 goals so far this season which puts in 9th place in the division - Preston are top with 28, Boro bottom with 7 - which indicates that we're not doing too bad in this respect especially when you couple that with an equal-7th defence (17 conceded - Leeds with 8 and Barnsley 29 top and tail that stat).
    I'm amazed at that stat after yesterday's game. Preston certainly didn't play like a team likely to score a lot of goals
    Johnson their top scorer was pulled back and then flattened by Naby, which in retrospect was his best contribution of the day. Johnson departs injured. 

I refuse to write off the Nabster, but he is turning into Titus Bramble ex Ipswich who would go from Premier player one week to Dog and duck reserve player the next.

We never know which Naby Sarr will show up ? As a team we got worse yesterday when he went off mainly because of the changed formation.
  • Options
    Except Titus Bramble tended to give away actual goals every other week? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Alongside Pearce, Dog n Duck
    Alongside Lockyer without Pearce, Championship Beast.
  • Options
    I'm not overly concerned by the "fewest number of shots in Christendom" stat - I'd rather we held onto the ball a bit longer to fashion a proper opening than just blazing away from 25 yards and turning the ball back to the oppo.

We're not playing basketball where there's a shot clock, we can take our time to create a decent chance.

We've scored 21 goals so far this season which puts in 9th place in the division - Preston are top with 28, Boro bottom with 7 - which indicates that we're not doing too bad in this respect especially when you couple that with an equal-7th defence (17 conceded - Leeds with 8 and Barnsley 29 top and tail that stat).
    I'm amazed at that stat after yesterday's game. Preston certainly didn't play like a team likely to score a lot of goals
    Johnson their top scorer was pulled back and then flattened by Naby, which in retrospect was his best contribution of the day.

I refuse to write off the Nabster, but he is turning into Titus Bramble ex Ipswich who would go from Premier player one week to Dog and duck reserve player the next.

We never know which Naby Sarr will show up ? 
    Agree with this.
    Certain games suit him better than others. 
    I would not want him to start at millwall next week that's for sure. 
  • Options

Johnson their top scorer was pulled back and then flattened by Naby, which in retrospect was his best contribution of the day.

We never know which Naby Sarr will show up ? 
    That depends on who is also playing in defence.

If Jason Pearce is at centre-back then it'll be carnage.

If it's BeckenSarr and BFG II (in a back four) or those two with Pratley (in a three) then we'll be fine.

For whatever reason, and I'm sure Lord Bowyer, Jacko and Marshy are tearing out their hair as a result, Pearce and the Enforcer are mutually exclusive in our team.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I tend to agree with you.
    Other than not fouling the Fulham lad outside the box which led to a cracking goal both Lockyer and Pearce have made mistakes that have or nearly led to goals.

Agree with Blackpool72 how can Sarr start at Millwall when there will be no time on the ball.

In Bowyer I still trust so the decision is his.

• Options
    The Sarr issue .. whenever I've seen him, if he starts off well, he continues to play well .. in total contrast, if he starts badly, he continues in the same vein .. his self confidence must be very fragile .. as at Wembley, y'day he started badly and Bowyer withdrew him .. Sarr really needs to buck up ..  after 70 odd games for us he still shows too many signs of being a complete novice .. he's 26 years old and stands 6'5" .. Naby get a grip f f s
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-reactions-brambles-0809-stats-were-better-than-both-van-dijk-and-vidic-20190611

Not in 2008 he didn't!
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Pearce hasn't the pace to handle a high press, so doesn't offer an out ball. The time that Naby was robbed, there was no forward pass on but no sideways one either and they were too far advanced to trust Dillon. Pearce should have moved forwards. But Sarr did redeem his error. 
  • Options
    What was our formation in the first half? I thought it was 352, but Purrington was so far upfield most of the time, it almost felt like a 442 with Naby at LB and Purrington at LW
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    "My arms are probably around him, it’s just how I defend."

And Sarr's the liability? Not giving this up ffs, I've seen Pearce getting 7 in player ratings
    I take your point about the frustrations around Pearce’s player ratings when compared to Sarr, but Sarr gets labelled a ‘liability’ because he probably makes mistakes on a more consistent basis when compared to the likes of Pearce.  Case in point last week and the suicidal ball he played across the back that was intercepted at the start of the second half against WBA.  

He’s capable of some sublime stuff like the pass to set up Williams to tee up Bonne for the opener against Derby.

He’s improved, his defending is getting better, but he’s always got the potential of a clanger.  I like him, I’m so pleased for him how he’s come on leaps and bounds, but I’ve seen nothing in the 4 years he’s been here to shake the term, liability.  It’s just him 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    This is like Simon Francis again except if Simon Francis was playing really well most games, and if Simon Francis was, frankly, a better player. Don't be amazed if before long Sarr is in the Premiership and we're not 
    Surpassed yourself there mate. 
    Sarr in the premier league. 
    I have no words. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Leuth said:
    "My arms are probably around him, it’s just how I defend."

And Sarr's the liability? Not giving this up ffs, I've seen Pearce getting 7 in player ratings
    I take your point about the frustrations around Pearce’s player ratings when compared to Sarr, but Sarr gets labelled a ‘liability’ because he probably makes gets called out by Lifers for mistakes on a more consistent basis when compared to the likes of Pearce.  Case in point last week and the suicidal ball he played across the back that was intercepted at the start of the second half against WBA.  

He’s capable of some sublime stuff like the pass to set up Williams to tee up Bonne for the opener against Derby.

He’s improved, his defending is getting better, but he’s always got the potential of a clanger.  I like him, I’m so pleased for him how he’s come on leaps and bounds, but I’ve seen nothing in the 4 years he’s been here to shake the term, liability.  It’s just him 
    Correction provided by the BeckenSarr Fan Club.

;)
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Pearce walks a fine line with pushing and pulling forwards every week. Usually he walks it very well, but he fell off spectacularly on Saturday.

Sarr walks a fine line with taking time on the ball, dribbling away from forwards etc.  every week. Usually he walks it very well, but he fell off spectacularly on Saturday.

I don't think we need to extrapolate larger trends than that just yet. Overall they have both been good for us this season, but for whatever reason it was a bad day at the office all-round.

• Options
    Have always said that Pearce fouls too much & often gives away a foul by climbing or holding the opposition player. Like to see Lockyer & Oshilaja in defence (if Oshilaja is not being used as a right wing back)

The thing is Pearce probably wraps his arms round the defender 10 times a game. He gets pulled up for it once in a while.
    So overall it's definitely a successful 'tactic'.

So he's maybe done it 100 times this season and only been penalised a few times. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Everyone except you can see that Sarr has got the jitters again. You need to go to Specsavers :smile:
  • Options
    What was our formation in the first half? I thought it was 352, but Purrington was so far upfield most of the time, it almost felt like a 442 with Naby at LB and Purrington at LW
    As far as I could see on TV, it was 3 at the back, Solly and Purrington playing as wing backs alongside a 4 man diamond formation in midfield - Pratley at its base, Kayal on the right, Cullen on the left and Gallagher at the tip playing just behind Bonne.

Whatever it was, it didn't work!
  • Options
    As far as I could see on TV, it was 3 at the back, Solly and Purrington playing as wing backs alongside a 4 man diamond formation in midfield - Pratley at its base, Kayal on the right, Cullen on the left and Gallagher at the tip playing just behind Bonne.

Whatever it was, it didn't work!
    In a 3 at the back system though, the wing backs shuttle backwards and forwards up the pitch, whereas Purrington played far more as a left midfielder. Quite often (from the East Stand) it looked more like a flat back 4 with Sarr very near the touchline.