Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• Options
    bloke sitting down in reflection looks like he has the remote in his hand - reckon bowyer is saying 'right, that's it now Mat - we've left you and that joker in charge for the whole month and frankly, switching onto Coronation Street and cracking open the 7 up isn't what i was expecting right now. Get on the blower to the sheik and get me some bloody marquee signings and get me them now!!!!' 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    bobmunro said:
    Melrose said:
    If it ends up like this then MS is gonna have a very tough time.

From who, apart from you?
    And also why? If things stay the way they are, we are stronger than we were when ESI first took over.

Bowyer Signed and Taylor Stays. 
    3 players signed, and the only real blemish being Gallagher leaving, which was not in our hands.
    I mean that is simply not correct. When ESI took over we had Bowyer, Taylor and Gallagher (plus Leko, Kayal and Ledley). We don’t anymore. 

I’m not certain if we are better now with Gallagher replaced by the new recruits, they’d have to be pretty good for that to be the case because he was our best player. 

I honestly can't believe you are trying to use Joe Ledley leaving as a counter argument against my point.

From what I have seen of him I would argue that Green looks to be as useful as Leko. Kayal never got going and I believe Smith will be better than him because of that. And Mcgeady offers something different to what we previously had and is a player Bowyer clearly rates.

For me that outweighs the loss of Gallagher, which I mention is the only blemish, and at least that is in a position we have plenty of options in.

And we still may sign someone else. 
    Wait, do you understand how parentheses work? 

I have no idea if McGeady and Smith are collectively better than Gallagher - I highly doubt it - but either way we are where we are and we all have to hope that they are because we all need them to be as fellow Charlton fans. 

I’m underwhelmed with this window, I don’t agree that we’re stronger, but provided we pick up the points required it doesn’t really matter. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    bobmunro said:
    Melrose said:

And also why? If things stay the way they are, we are stronger than we were when ESI first took over.

3 players signed, and the only real blemish being Gallagher leaving, which was not in our hands.
    I mean that is simply not correct. When ESI took over we had Bowyer, Taylor and Gallagher (plus Leko, Kayal and Ledley). We don’t anymore. 

I’m not certain if we are better now with Gallagher replaced by the new recruits, they’d have to be pretty good for that to be the case because he was our best player. 

I honestly can't believe you are trying to use Joe Ledley leaving as a counter argument against my point.

From what I have seen of him I would argue that Green looks to be as useful as Leko. Kayal never got going and I believe Smith will be better than him because of that. And Mcgeady offers something different to what we previously had and is a player Bowyer clearly rates.

For me that outweighs the loss of Gallagher, which I mention is the only blemish, and at least that is in a position we have plenty of options in.

I disagree that Green looks to be as useful as Leko.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Plenty of crosses lads. 

Not our strong point. 
    Wrong Matt Smith @JamesSeed
    Who posted that darned video then?
  • Options
    Such a sense of entitlement to the point of delusion....we are Charlton bloody Athletic at the wrong end of the second division....what on earth are people really expecting 3 weeks into a new ownership in the notoriously bad January window.

Reality checks required.

-Duchatelet no longer calling shots 
    -Squad dilapidated being replenished with new bodies
    -Bowyer signing a long term deal
    -Chairman and owner with buoyant enthusiasm and can do attitude 
    -Miserable bloody fanbase (:-) )who would moan if we signed Messi because he's not Ronaldo and Otzumer sits in that role.

Cheer up folks...present is good and future a danm sight brighter than where we were 6 weeks, 6 months and 6 years ago

Have realistic expectations  and look at the positives and channel those. It's the start of a new exciting chapter and long term plan that starts in earnest in May.

Let's all get behind the club and ragtag squad in unison.

Well said.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    bobmunro said:
    Melrose said:

Wait, do you understand how parentheses work? 

I have no idea if McGeady and Smith are collectively better than Gallagher - I highly doubt it - but either way we are where we are and we all have to hope that they are because we all need them to be as fellow Charlton fans. 

I’m underwhelmed with this window, I don’t agree that we’re stronger, but provided we pick up the points required it doesn’t really matter. 
    Fair enough. I respect that you have that opinion. 

I personally can't see how you think we are weaker. The only player in this window we have lost that will be difficult to replace is Gallagher. However with our other midfield options, and this switch to the 4-2-3-1 we seem to be heading towards I think him leaving will have less of an impact on the team then people think. 

• Options
    se9addick said:
    bobmunro said:
    Melrose said:

I disagree with you disagreeing.🤣 Green looks to be more the finished article than Leko. He ran into trouble too much and didn't always know what to do with his final ball.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Live around the corner from Griffin Park. Locals not expecting Taylor to sign, nor any rumours he’s in area for medical, signature etc.
    "I looked in my garden, he ain't there, I looked in my bins. He ain't there. He ain't in any of the cupboards and I ain't seen him down the pub. He ain't here. Simple as."
  • Options
    Think that might well be it for today chaps. 
  • Options
    docherty going hibs
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Zoom in on the picture on the desk in front of LB.

Cosmic
    Clearly playing the diamond tomorrow
    Probably wrong but looks like it says something like:
    Rest 1st Feb - Darren - (illegible)
    Or
    Rest 8th Feb - Darren - (illegible)
    Might be something to do with Pratley being on 9 bookings.......1 more and he misses 2 games. Perhaps LB is trying to work out which game to play him. Play him tomorrow & he gets booked he then misses games away at Stoke & Forest. Leave him out tomorrow & he knows he'll play at least one of those away games (where he may want more of a defensive display)
  • Options
    Redskin said:

Caption this... (Haha I got the picture Matt Southall...)
    LB: 'That's enough tweeting for one day, Matthew.'

MS: 'But, supa dupa phone...'

LB: 'I said ENOUGH.'

SG: 'Calm down, Lee'

Think that might actually be spot on
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    bobmunro said:
    Melrose said:

I'd like to hear why you think that. 

I'd argue that he certainly lacks that raw pace and trickery that Leko had which frightens defenders. However he is no slough himself, and is definitely much more considered on the ball than Leko*. From what I have seen of Green he has a better understanding of the game then Leko did. I personally feel that although Leko had that ability to create something out of nothing, Greens ability to read the game, and get into better positions and find better passes will be more useful in the long run. Especially when Mcgeady can be that more flair type player.

*I just want to mention I was a fan of Leko and defended him many times on this forum. 
  • Options
    Why?
  • Options

Caption this... (Haha I got the picture Matt Southall...)
     LB: you said we'd keep Lyle and grow our squad...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leko scored 5 and assisted 6 or something like that, Gallagher scored 6 and was a front runner for player of the season. No way do Green, McGeady and Smith make us better.
    Why not mate? How do you know they won't contribute more than that in the games they get to play before the season ends? 
    Well, clearly I don't. It's my opinion but they are seriously good stats for Gallagher and Leko whom seems to have been forgotten.  They were both big players for us.  So I am not saying the 3 new ones will be bad, I just can't see them being as instrumental as those two.  
  • Options
    Why?
    Managing expectations. 
  • Options
    Fulham, Queens Park Rangers and Charlton are making late moves to sign Coventry midfielder Zain Westbrooke. #FFC #QPR #cafc #skyblues #DeadlineDay
    Another midfielder 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Quite a few players being released from contracts, going to be a few free agents floating around tomorrow.

A few players leaving Chinese clubs too ....

Not with that virus knocking about :-)
  • Options
    How long have we got until Bonne is back?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Quite a few players being released from contracts, going to be a few free agents floating around tomorrow.

A few players leaving Chinese clubs too ....
    Seen that KI Sung Yueng has been released. clever player and could be a useful addition until the end of the season.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    bobmunro said:
    Melrose said:

I'd like to hear why you think that. 

I'd argue that he certainly lacks that raw pace and trickery that Leko had which frightens defenders. However he is no slough himself, and is definitely much more considered on the ball than Leko*. From what I have seen of Green he has a better understanding of the game then Leko did. I personally feel that although Leko had that ability to create something out of nothing, Greens ability to read the game, and get into better positions and find better passes will be more useful in the long run. Especially when Mcgeady can be that more flair type player.

*I just want to mention I was a fan of Leko and defended him many times on this forum. 
    How can you judge a player who’s only played with our kids.
    proper team is coming back plus the new boys, then we can make judgements 
  • Options

Fulham, Queens Park Rangers and Charlton are making late moves to sign Coventry midfielder Zain Westbrooke. #FFC #QPR #cafc #skyblues #DeadlineDay
    Thought he was great in One Direction