Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• It's now breaking news on Sky......

Charlton sign WALES midfielder Matt Smith on loan from Man City.

Makes it sound like we have signed somebody people will know.

I'm not trying to be obtuse or a kill joy but a 20 year old who has not played a single game for Man City & only 6 times at all this season is not really "breaking news" 

It just shows how overrated deadline day is. 
  • For those who aren't exactly excited by the Smith signing, how excited were you when we signed Gallagher on loan? A 19 year old who at the time had never played a senior game?

Obviously Smith wasn't our first choice, but he's had a season in Dutch football and has senior caps for Wales. He's going to be a much better option than Morgan or Dempsey, which will likely mean we can potentially loan them out now to get more senior experience
    Difference is Gallagher hadn't had a loan spell.

Smith has been on loan to a Championship club and hardly played.

Maybe Bowyer can get something out of him that QPR couldn't in the next few months, but so atm I am staying underwhelmed with that signing and hoping the last one is the big one to get me jumping up and down
    True but after a successful period with Twente you have to question why it didnt work out at QPR?

Only two games he started; QPR lost - Could well be a case of the kid being thrown under the bus which wouldnt be the first time

Sometimes though just doesnt work out at one club when it does another which is why its worth reserving judgement
  • bromdog said:
    Sebastian Prodl being released by Watford...
    A few experienced pros have been released today, it'll be interesting if we've got any of them lined up
  • Was our latest signing deal done off the regular or supa dupa phone? Not looking to share an opinion one way the other, simply interested in how our new owners classify their signings?
  • Jarrod Bowen getting 80k at West Ham shows how crazy Football wages have got
    Wow, is that a week? Good job they don’t have stadium development costs to pay eh!
    Yeah, that was why it almost fell through he wanted 80k they were only willing to give him that if they added a clause were it cuts by 50% if they get relegated which he didnt want at first but has now agreed to
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2020
    The Bostock thing is puzzling me. Why did this deal need to go to the final day?  A fairly simple loan switch to move a player from where he was unhappy. Can't be too difficult.

Maybe if they'd got the ball rolling earlier the French would've pulled their finger out.
    Hindsight is a fine thing and anyway have you not thought that Bostock was not their preferred target.
    They also wouldn’t have wished to alert the French early doors, for fear of the word getting out that we were interested.
  • In Gallen and Bowyer we trust, feel like we have to say this as educated negativity is throwned upon. 

But underwhelming to say the least, QPR are shite and couldn’t get a sniff, happy to be proved wrong. 
    And Hemed only slightly better there last season than for us this.
  • Given that I’d never heard of Conor Gallagher before he joined us I certainly won’t judge Matt Smith before I see him...he’s not a Man City player for nothing !

in SG and LB we trust!
    Agreed. Just said exactly that to my son and his mates. At the start of the season we were all "Conor who?"........look how that turned out!

• Why was Bale here at Chrimbo? 😭
  • bromdog said:
    Sebastian Prodl being released by Watford...
    A few experienced pros have been released today, it'll be interesting if we've got any of them lined up
    Luscious Linda from Bexley private shop been around a while 👍
  • For those who aren't exactly excited by the Smith signing, how excited were you when we signed Gallagher on loan? A 19 year old who at the time had never played a senior game?

Obviously Smith wasn't our first choice, but he's had a season in Dutch football and has senior caps for Wales. He's going to be a much better option than Morgan or Dempsey, which will likely mean we can potentially loan them out now to get more senior experience

Maybe Bowyer can get something out of him that QPR couldn't in the next few months, but so atm I am staying underwhelmed with that signing and hoping the last one is the big one to get me jumping up and down
    Hmmmm. I wonder if Belik had an 'underwhelming' loan at another club before he came to us.

Hmmmm. I wonder if Cullen had an 'underwhelming' loan at another club before he came to us as well. 
    Will Give u Bielik but not Cullen

He had a successful loan at League one Bradford, tried the step up the following year with Bolton and only managed 12 games so the year after came back on loan to League one with us 
  • edited January 2020
    For those who aren't exactly excited by the Smith signing, how excited were you when we signed Gallagher on loan? A 19 year old who at the time had never played a senior game?

Hmmmm. I wonder if Belik had an 'underwhelming' loan at another club before he came to us.

Hmmmm. I wonder if Cullen had an 'underwhelming' loan at another club before he came to us as well. 
    Will Give u Bielik but not Cullen

He had a successful loan at League one Bradford, tried the step up the following year with Bolton and only managed 12 games so the year after came back on loan to League one with us 
    Bielik to be fair had injury troubles, never had a chance to prove himself before joining us
  • We got five loans now?.
    You can have more loans but only 5 allowed in the matchday 18.
  • Given that I’d never heard of Conor Gallagher before he joined us I certainly won’t judge Matt Smith before I see him...he’s not a Man City player for nothing !

in SG and LB we trust!
    Agreed. Just said exactly that to my son and his mates. At the start of the season we were all "Conor who?"........look how that turned out!

What goes before or comes after is irrelevant. All that matters is what they do in a Charlton shirt, and we only find out what that is once they play for us. 

Tbh, I’m always happier signing players we don’t really know but have unfulfilled potential. For whatever reason they always seem to do better here. 
  • Sponsored links:

• cfgs said:

Tahoon army!!!
    I smell a rat. :)
    I thought the same, but turns out they've been a member since 17. All looks pretty legit to be honest 
  • Anyone remember a certain Scott Sinclair that joined and did nothing and then went on to smash it. 

Fingers crossed 
  • It's now breaking news on Sky......

Charlton sign WALES midfielder Matt Smith on loan from Man City.

Makes it sound like we have signed somebody people will know.

I'm not trying to be obtuse or a kill joy but a 20 year old who has not played a single game for Man City & only 6 times at all this season is not really "breaking news" 

Golfie.....go to the pub or take the dog out for a long walk.
  • Apparently we are getting money from the Fosu deal
     How? We released him.
  • edited January 2020
    arthur said:
    Why would it matter if he hasn't played for QPR? They think they are too good for Championship. I couldn't give a crap what their fans or management opinion was on anything.
    This X 1000
  • Greenie said:

Man City are not in the habit of dishing out 5yr contracts for fun.

Chelsea and Man City do not hoover up players. They hoover up players with talent.

It may have escaped your notice but that is how this industry now works.

I may be wrong but I believe this Matt Smith was, like Andre Green, on our shopping list in the Summer possibly before Sam Field and Connor Gallagher who signed in early August. I believe we were recorded as expressing an interest in early July when he signed for QPR.

http://https//www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/matt-smith-joins-qpr-on-loan-from-man-city/

He has a season in a senior league with FC Twente last term, where he was a regular in the Dutch side which won the Eerste Divisie.

Listen to Grapey and learn, lifers.
    Is he pausing for dramatic effect?