Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• The Bostock thing is puzzling me. Why did this deal need to go to the final day?  A fairly simple loan switch to move a player from where he was unhappy. Can't be too difficult.

Maybe if they'd got the ball rolling earlier the French would've pulled their finger out.
    Perhaps he was choice 2 or 3 and the others fell over recently 
  • The Bostock thing is puzzling me. Why did this deal need to go to the final day?  A fairly simple loan switch to move a player from where he was unhappy. Can't be too difficult.

Maybe if they'd got the ball rolling earlier the French would've pulled their finger out.
    Was the Bostock thing even a thing?

We signed Matt Smith during the daytime meaning that there must have been a quick change of fortune for Bostock to have fallen through and for Smith to happen

Pete O'Rourke said 5-hrs ago that we were close to getting Bostock which would have been about 3pm; sunset today was @ 4:47pm
  • Sebastian Prodl being released by Watford...
  • 😂😂😂😂😂 -

Does this Tweet been business over???
  • I'm underwhelmed but only because of his record with QPR this season. We also seem very overloaded in midfield. I'd have rather signed a decent centre half tbh. Just hope the last one in is a striker on a permanent.

It does beg the question of why they were insistent in getting onboard for this window when they have not really pulled any rabbits out of hats. Weird.

• Ain’t got a clue who the next one could be if it’s not Clarke-Harris, maybe Gnanduillet? Just hope it’s not another loan as you’ve got to leave one out every week and im
    sure no club would like that.
  • Sponsored links:

• There is no chance of vydra. Players who cant get in championship teams is the market we are shopping in
  • Was Smith seriously on Bowyers list?
    No. As I said earlier, their list of 10 names has probably now stretched to 15 or 20. You dont get to 7pm on deadline day, sign a player that has hardly played all season & say it was one of your choices.

The fact that he is registered with Man City means v little. Like Chelsea they hoover up players & sit on them. Worse case for them is that they sell them down the line for a million or 2. 

Very underwhelmed 
    Sadly Guardiola didn't fancy loaning us De Bruyne.
    No problem we will be buying him in a couple
    of years...
  • Was Smith seriously on Bowyers list?
    No. As I said earlier, their list of 10 names has probably now stretched to 15 or 20. You dont get to 7pm on deadline day, sign a player that has hardly played all season & say it was one of your choices.

The fact that he is registered with Man City means v little. Like Chelsea they hoover up players & sit on them. Worse case for them is that they sell them down the line for a million or 2. 

Very underwhelmed 
    Sadly Guardiola didn't fancy loaning us De Bruyne.
    What a player that man is, the best attacking mid in the world right now.
    Back to the thread.
  • Bubble said:
    Definitely not from the super deals phone that one.

“The Wales international is expected to join Charlton on loan for the rest of the season after failing to make an impact in west London.”

I don’t think anyone can dress up excitement over that one.....

That’s a really odd one.
    Isn't the chairman a city fan??
  • 😂😂😂😂😂 -

No. Wasn't he running a competition if someone could guess the next new signing?
  • cafc_se7 said:
    Davo55 said:
    34 games last season in the Dutch top flight. Can’t be too bad.

Hopefully Bowyer can do the same with him as with Gallagher.
    Oh please, the usual obsession with other clubs youth player being better nonsense, he could not even get in QPR’s side! Another waste when Charlton should be doing something with their kids not Man City’s 
    Do come off it. No-one can sensibly argue that Charlton fail to give youngsters their shot in the first team. 
    That’s not what I’m saying - I’m referencing the general obsession on getting new signings and the only ones Charlton seem to look at are other people’s future profit. He’s already not done much at QPR yet now it’s ok to ignore the youth who have been thrown in the deep end these past weeks. With senior players retuning surely it’s now you keep the Charlton youngsters involved?
    Youngsters from City are going to be a cut above our youngsters whether you accept that or not! Albie and the likes need to develop elsewhere and come back! Bowyer is obviously doing this for a reason! 
    Your still missing the point I could not give a hoot if they were, the point is he ain’t one of them and he does not belong to Charlton, so either way he’s a pointless signing who will essentially only Benefit City’s and his pockets. Your looking at bright shiny lights of city’s money and convincing yourself it must be better... 
    This again. Jesus. This is exactly what you said about Gallagher. The 'bright lights' nonsense came out when we got Conor in and he was on target to our player of the season. He's not a pointless signing if he plays well and keeps us up, how can you not see that? Or we can persevere with the likes of Morgan, Dempsey, Davison and Vennings in the first team. The first team that's won one game in 17. Think.
    Oh yeah, That Gallagher thing went  well... remind me where is he playing now? In case you hadn’t noticed that’s your academy, and yes with senior pros returning absolutely as they’ve already proved they can handle it. Unlike Gallagher they did not have that luxury when they were thrown in the deep end. Might I suggest you get your boots and let’s see how good you really are as you seem to know your stuff. 
    Acworth has joined CL by the looks of it
  • 😂😂😂😂😂 -

No. Wasn't he running a competition if someone could guess the next new signing?
    Oh that's okay then. Still got time for another 3 or 4
  • For those who aren't exactly excited by the Smith signing, how excited were you when we signed Gallagher on loan? A 19 year old who at the time had never played a senior game?

Obviously Smith wasn't our first choice, but he's had a season in Dutch football and has senior caps for Wales. He's going to be a much better option than Morgan or Dempsey, which will likely mean we can potentially loan them out now to get more senior experience
    Difference is Gallagher hadn't had a loan spell.

Smith has been on loan to a Championship club and hardly played.

Maybe Bowyer can get something out of him that QPR couldn't in the next few months, but so atm I am staying underwhelmed with that signing and hoping the last one is the big one to get me jumping up and down
  • Sponsored links:

• Would love to see us bring in a permanent signing 
  • Bubble said:
    Definitely not from the super deals phone that one.

“The Wales international is expected to join Charlton on loan for the rest of the season after failing to make an impact in west London.”

I don’t think anyone can dress up excitement over that one.....

That’s a really odd one.
    Isn't the chairman a city fan??
    No his wife is , not that I'm an Ian Walker or anything
  • cafc_se7 said:
    Davo55 said:
    34 games last season in the Dutch top flight. Can’t be too bad.

Hopefully Bowyer can do the same with him as with Gallagher.
    Oh please, the usual obsession with other clubs youth player being better nonsense, he could not even get in QPR’s side! Another waste when Charlton should be doing something with their kids not Man City’s 
    Do come off it. No-one can sensibly argue that Charlton fail to give youngsters their shot in the first team. 
    That’s not what I’m saying - I’m referencing the general obsession on getting new signings and the only ones Charlton seem to look at are other people’s future profit. He’s already not done much at QPR yet now it’s ok to ignore the youth who have been thrown in the deep end these past weeks. With senior players retuning surely it’s now you keep the Charlton youngsters involved?
    Youngsters from City are going to be a cut above our youngsters whether you accept that or not! Albie and the likes need to develop elsewhere and come back! Bowyer is obviously doing this for a reason! 
    Your still missing the point I could not give a hoot if they were, the point is he ain’t one of them and he does not belong to Charlton, so either way he’s a pointless signing who will essentially only Benefit City’s and his pockets. Your looking at bright shiny lights of city’s money and convincing yourself it must be better... 
    Read some shit the last few days, but this is well up there. We may as well never get any loans.
    Im really hurt by that look forward to you usual weekly melt downs
  • Ok so far underwhelmed. I'm not writing off McGeady or Smith, both think they could be decent enough but the way MS went on it really implied we were going to have a decent window, think that's being downplayed a bit.

I'm expecting 2 more genuinely, one permanent both with a bit about them, otherwise his tweets have been utter bait
  • It's now breaking news on Sky......

Charlton sign WALES midfielder Matt Smith on loan from Man City.

Makes it sound like we have signed somebody people will know.

I'm not trying to be obtuse or a kill joy but a 20 year old who has not played a single game for Man City & only 6 times at all this season is not really "breaking news" 

• Why would it matter if he hasn't played for QPR? They think they are too good for Championship. I couldn't give a crap what their fans or management opinion was on anything.
  • Sage said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:
    Better player than people probably think right now. They like him at City.

This is still a decent move. Box to box midfielder.
    Who likes him at City?  Not saying your wrong, obviously they think he has something or they wouldnt of made him a pro.

But you say that with such confidence I wondered what it was based on. 
    Had a very successful loan spell at Twente and so they rewarded him with a long term contract. Was worried about losing him last year and he going abroad and having another Sancho or Diaz effect (not saying he’s at that level).

He is a player that Pep has deliberately wanted to go out and play at this level. Have seen from a few places in the past, especially when he was capped by Wales, that they like him at City.
    Thanks 
  • Smith’s a product of the West Brom youth system, so likely Field and Leko put in a good word. 
    Matt Smith left West Brom at 14 years old to sign for Man City.

Maybe they knew each other when they were kids.