Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match views: Charlton v Peterborough

Comments

• Options

The one thing I don't get is our reluctance to cross the ball - we seemed determined to pass the ball into the 18 yard box rather than whip a cross in. Solly is a good crossed of the ball yet last night would invariably lay off a short pass rather than make a cross - is this a tactical thing? We had enough pressure in the last 25 minutes to have expected a goal and that is what worries me.

If we don't score enough goals we're not going anywhere.

I think the idea with the players we have is to work little openings with quick passing rather than send in crosses against some of the monsters they had at the back last night. Taylor’s cross was outrageous but it was on the counter and low in behind them. When we work it too our full backs and Peterborough are set in their lines, it’s pointless sending in high crosses.
  • Options

Just seen the penalty replay, that is an absolute shocker.

Keep watching this - it looks incredibly soft and I can't see how the ref can give it from where he is.

Disappointing.
  • Options
    Agree with everything in @ValleyGary post bar finishing position. We will be higher than 9-14 that I’m sure
  • Options

Agree with everything in @ValleyGary post bar finishing position. We will be higher than 9-14 that I’m sure

Hope so mate. If we can get Fosu back to his best and Igor scoring then playoffs would be a possibility.
  • Options

Some strange decisions by the ref, as well as the penalty, which wasn't.

What about when one of their players went down holding his head looking for a foul, he waved play on then few seconds later stopped play indicating the said player had a head injury.

The guy shot up had a rant at the ref and he then gave them a free kick?

Yes, that was weird. That should've been Posh kicking back to our goalie to re-start.

Not every decision went Posh's way though. What was their centre-back booked for in the 1st half? Didn't even look like a foul, let alone a yellow. Pratley played quite a nice pass down the line in the 2nd half with his hand (East Stand side). Ref needed help from the lino on that one. Solly crunched through their player by the East in the 1st half....got the ball and a lot of their player...left him in a heap...nearly always a yellow these days.

Bizarre reffing performance and I'd be surprised if an assessor would have thought otherwise.
  • Options

At charlton loads of posh fans saying it was never a pen so they all agree

Doesn't matter sadly
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Shitty ref helped mask a toothless performance

Sounds like Saturday
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Even if Bowyer gets a ban it's worth it. It'll make refs think twice against us now because it was the same against Accrington. Every decision went their way.
  • Options
    Seen the penalty incident and it’s not clear that there was any contact on Toney.
  • Options

The one thing I don't get is our reluctance to cross the ball - we seemed determined to pass the ball into the 18 yard box rather than whip a cross in. Solly is a good crossed of the ball yet last night would invariably lay off a short pass rather than make a cross - is this a tactical thing? We had enough pressure in the last 25 minutes to have expected a goal and that is what worries me.

I think the idea with the players we have is to work little openings with quick passing rather than send in crosses against some of the monsters they had at the back last night. Taylor’s cross was outrageous but it was on the counter and low in behind them. When we work it too our full backs and Peterborough are set in their lines, it’s pointless sending in high crosses.
    I agree that sending in high looping crosses from the diagonal & from a standing still position is pointless.....but on the run, from anywhere from 10 yards out to the byline are dangerous. Defenders are then back peddling or facing their goal rather than all lined up on their penalty spot. Page has already sent in a few this season & Reeves goal at Northampton last season was a classic. Boils my piss to see Solly get into a (half) decent position & then either cut in on his left (wtf ?? cant cross with that so keeps running along the edge of their box) or passes it back or inside to a defender.....who then launches it from the diagonal......rinse & repeat.
  • Options

I agree that sending in high looping crosses from the diagonal & from a standing still position is pointless.....but on the run, from anywhere from 10 yards out to the byline are dangerous. Defenders are then back peddling or facing their goal rather than all lined up on their penalty spot. Page has already sent in a few this season & Reeves goal at Northampton last season was a classic. Boils my piss to see Solly get into a (half) decent position & then either cut in on his left (wtf ?? cant cross with that so keeps running along the edge of their box) or passes it back or inside to a defender.....who then launches it from the diagonal......rinse & repeat.
  • Options

Lots of angry Charlton fans on the train afterwards, “Bastard ref!” etc. He took every opportunity to penalise us whilst Peterborough got away with stuff and took every opportunity to dive and encroach at free kicks but unfortunately that is the modern game.
    It was a good game, pretty even, with Peterborough being a bit stronger and better organised. I think they will go up. For us, Bielik was excellent, with Phillips coming of age. Since Robbo has gone, we are more purposeful going forward, less fannying about at the back but we still didn’t work their keeper, although several goal bound shots were blocked by their big defence.
    It has to be said that Taylor does back into his player and foul a lot but he is hard working and should score goals for us. Grant played okay, a bit disappointing. Morgan is a star in the making but I was disappointed with Pratley who seemed tired today. Ajose was positive when he came on and looked effective.
    The covered end were in good voice, the grass looked great but the ref was indeed a bar steward of the highest order.

I don't think Peterborough will go up
  • Options
    edited August 2018

For all of you getting that on your iPad I found how to sort it , well for me anyway .

I cleared all history from safari where this all is and it worked , you’re welcome :-)
  • Options

Just seen the penalty replay, that is an absolute shocker.

Link?
  • Options
    Btw I thought Albie Morgan's foul was a clear booking. Very late, and clearly caught the man, you could hear the "ooohs" from the home fans, when that happens you know the challenge was a bit "tasty"
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    wasn't there so just a few random thoughts ..
    The penalty .. after watching the sky 'highlights' a few times .. Page had his arm out in front of Toney, Toney took advantage and dived .. NOT enough for a pen, but I can see how the referee was conned .. remember refs are only human and if they've been given stick by the home fans, they are NOT going to be inclined to give the barrackers' team the benefit of the doubt .. that is just 'the way it is' .. the 'highlights' do not show the CAFC shouts for a pen before this

Just like in recent seasons we are regularly conceding late goals .. panic, poor organisation, lack of fighting spirit, incompetence .. probably a combination of all of these factors

Scoring .. we have a difference of -1 .. P'boro, +7 (with a little help from the refs perhaps), Pompey +6 and Barnsley +10 !! .. even with the signing of Taylor we are as punchless as ever .. the midfield just is not creative enough, we lack physical presence all over the team and Ajose who looked OK (without scoring too many) at the end of last season has not been given a start

Injuries .. speaks for itself, captain and experienced defender is out yet again, three experienced midfielders all long term absentees, Vetokele, the great hope has not played for many months, Marshall lacks form and confidence

The owner is not prepared to put any money into the team and catch22, no-one is going to take over a failing team until the price and probably the team reach rock bottom

Despite all this, we are mid table and have had a difficult run of games .. Sunderland and Peterborough have restructured with good signings and have cash behind them and little Accrington will scrap for their lives to maintain their hard won promotion. (see last night's win)

Things will get better for us and with some tweaking and reorganisation from our novice management team who are (I am sure) fast learners, I am still confident that we will have a successful season

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I feel confident Bowyer will make a good manager in the long term but whether it will work out at Charlton is another matter.

I hope he gets a few extra resources and the fans keep behind him as they did last night. Pleased with the effort/team spirit and the team are looking better than I expected.

Hopefully Saturday the goals will come.
  • Options
    Please sign some creativity Lee Bowyer!!
  • Options
    We have three lots of creativity coming back from the treatment room inside the next month or so, is the thing
  • Options
    I think once we have a few of the injured players back we need to stop playing with wing backs, we dont have anyone who is natural in that position which leads to a real lack of width going forward. This wouldn't be too much of an issue if we had a top creative number 10 to play through the middle but we do not have that either.

Still think Bowyer's main priority in this loan window needs to be an out and out winger.

Grant and taylor should be a very decent partnership up top at this level, with Vetokele and Ajose as back up. However if we do not bring in some creativity they will be feeding off scraps all season.

For me once fosu is back we should be playing a flat 4-4-2, we just need to bring in another winger to play on the opposite flank to Tariqe.

At this level width is so important, especially with poacher type players up top.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

I think once we have a few of the injured players back we need to stop playing with wing backs, we dont have anyone who is natural in that position which leads to a real lack of width going forward. This wouldn't be too much of an issue if we had a top creative number 10 to play through the middle but we do not have that either.

Still think Bowyer's main priority in this loan window needs to be an out and out winger.

Grant and taylor should be a very decent partnership up top at this level, with Vetokele and Ajose as back up. However if we do not bring in some creativity they will be feeding off scraps all season.

For me once fosu is back we should be playing a flat 4-4-2, we just need to bring in another winger to play on the opposite flank to Tariqe.

At this level width is so important, especially with poacher type players up top.

442 is definitely better at this level and i agree we don’t have any players with experience at wingback but what two centre midfielders do you play? Bielik was good last night, Pratley has impressed since he got here and we need Aribo’s creativity in centre midfield. Think it would be harsh to drop any of them
  • Options

442 is definitely better at this level and i agree we don’t have any players with experience at wingback but what two centre midfielders do you play? Bielik was good last night, Pratley has impressed since he got here and we need Aribo’s creativity in centre midfield. Think it would be harsh to drop either of them
    Aribo and Pratley for me. Bielek can cover a number of positions so he can fill in where he is needed. Also gives us the rare option of having quality on the bench to change things up if we need to.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

On the balance of play, we deserved something out of the game and we will certainly play worse this season and win.

After a sharp and pacy opening from both sides, Peterborough got on top about midway through the first half and started to control the midfield. Albie Morgan did well but both Aribo and Pratley were off their game, with the result that our full backs got pinned back, we couldn’t keep possession and ended up playing with more of a back five. That, in turn, led to Taylor and Grant becoming isolated and feeding off scraps against tough and competent central defenders. That said, the only time I recall Peterborough really threatening our goal was the looping header that caught Phillips out and hit the underside of the bar.

We were much better in the second half, although the final ball wasn’t quite there and I can’t recall their goalie making a meaningful save. In fairness, Peterborough defended very well and made several important blocks, including the one from Taylor’s volley and Aribo’s shot from the edge of the box (assuming that didn’t hit our own player).The other really hairy moment for them was Taylor’s superb low ball in from the right which the centre half nearly turned into his own net.

Our players gave their all and Bowyer is certainly squeezing out what he can from very limited resources, so he deserves credit for that, especially with all the crap going on at the club generally. Our difficulty is a lack of creativity, both in midfield and down the flanks, with Fosu out injured and Marshall out of favour. There aren’t many goals in the side and I’m afraid that the existing squad is going to be in for a tough season.

As for Peterborough, they were tough and resolute and had the game’s outstanding performer in Dembele, who gave us a lot of trouble and drew an excellent save from Dillon. Not a bad signing from Grimsby for £200,000 - on that showing, they’ll be banking a substantial profit down the line. They hung in there when under pressure and were able to take advantage of the big break they had near the end. It also helps to be able to bring on players like Maddison and Toney - something completely beyond our capabilities in our current state of limbo. I think that Peterborough will be top six, although I didn’t see anything to suggest that they’re going to dominate the division.

I thought that Bielik was easily our best player, although Solly also put in a determined shift, with some crunching tackles in the second half.

We really need a win on Saturday to avoid slipping into the lower reaches of the table, especially with three tough away games next month.

Sharp insights, Blucher, though I disagree when you say Posh threatened only with the looping header that beat Phillips and hit the bar. On 62 mins Dembele was one-on-one with Phillips, who saved brilliantly to his right. Five minutes later there was a miraculous escape when a cross flashed from the left and ricocheted off keeper and defenders. Peterborough went close with several other fluent moves in the second half.

I agree when you say: "Our difficulty is a lack of creativity, both in midfield and down the flanks". Ever thus. Our play in the second half yesterday was reactive rather than proactive - on the back foot and able to rush forward only on the break. Like an away team, but at home at The Valley. It's a fundamental weakness that needs attention if we are going to mount a serious challenge this season.

• Options
    Maybe I was too harsh on Morgan in my player marks. I didn't see him impact the game much but he was always looking to play positive passes and he did set up one chance. I think he should definitely get more game time, but maybe from the bench at first